• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why they abandoned Days Gone the way they did. Brought them a lot of revenue and sales, despite pretty much abandoning the game in terms of marketing after it came out because it didn't become a critic's darling.

For a studio that was making handheld games before, it was a very good first effort. A sequel would have done very well.
The Order is a million seller here and it got shelved super hard.

Sony wants it all. The wealth and the glory and both games didn't have the latter.

Feb 13, 2018
Days Gone with more than 100 million in revenue on PSN alone, but no sequel...

This can be seen as positive or negative but Sony actually cares about reviews and player feedback. I believe I heard they even hand out bonuses if the Metascore of a game is high enough.

They won't produce sequels of a game/big new IP if it doesn't get reviewed well enough even if it made tons of money.

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
Sad to see Returnal so low. Great to see Days gone over Bloodborne or U4. We will get no sequel but at least the game did good enough. Maybe in s distant future.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Glad to see Demon's Souls where it is. I kinda assumed it did a lot worse and I guess it maybe sold a bunch of physical copies too being a launch title. Hopefully it sold enough for Sony to consider it a success but I wish Bluepoint would return to it once more and make a few changes to the online. Barely anyone plays in human form due to the tendacy shifts and it messes around with online I feel.

Also wish it was much easier to co-op given it's limited playbase or at least it feels that way.

*Edit

Reading the older posts seeing a lot of doom and gloom about it. I would have thought being in the top 30 was a good thing?

Last edited:

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Funny to see how Horizon Zero Dawn sold way more copies than its sequel, but basically made the same amount of money. Kinda shows how "number of copies sold" only tell a very partial truth.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
WipEout numbers showing why that franchise is dead.

Folks always complain about Sony closing studios/killing franchises, but when no one is buying this stuff I don't see how any can expect different.

Last edited:

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Do the revenue numbers include physical sales? I'm confused because of the PSN descriptor in the Excel title.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Funny to see how Horizon Zero Dawn sold way more copies than its sequel, but basically made the same amount of money. Kinda shows how "number of copies sold" only tell a very partial truth.
Digital only and don't forget Horizon Forbidden West got added to PS+ I think a year after release which flatlined its digital sales in favor of subs.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Searched for it with the search function, couldn't find it. No idea why, every other Resistance game is on there. What's weird tho, for Resistance 1 and 2, only SIE Europe has revenue/downloads listed. SIE America and SIE Japan are both at 0.
I could be wrong but I don't think Resistance 3 was ever for sale on PSN and 1&2 were added only in Europe long after release.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It's sales are not that surprising, I think before Elden Ring "Souls" (and also Sekiro) games where starting to go on a bit of a downwards trend after DS3. Elden Ring obviously super hard reversed that. Demon's Souls' hype was pretty much all during the time when PS5 was also impossible to get which probably doesn't help either, then it was one of the flagships for PS+ Extra. Though speaking of that it is kinda surprising it's not downloaded more.
A downward trend? But the only From game between ER and DS3 was Sekiro, which sold over 10 million copies. Does a single data point on a remake indicate a trend now?

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Dreams at 45, with only 17mil revenue and 630k sales. And it was only digital for much of its life.
That's a wasted generation for them.. how are they still open?

Oct 27, 2017
Is there another source for any of this data? It's really hard to read on phone.

They're more games than ever yet humans seem to be gravitating towards fewer games if the US NPDs of last year is any indication.

Holy shit, I'm one of the 235 people who bought Echoshift.

Was that the PS Move sequel to echochrome? I liked the first game but didn't play much Move so didn't buy that one.

I'll never understand why they abandoned Days Gone the way they did. Brought them a lot of revenue and sales, despite pretty much abandoning the game in terms of marketing after it came out because it didn't become a critic's darling.

For a studio that was making handheld games before, it was a very good first effort. A sequel would have done very well.

Yeah, it's a shame they never did another. Maybe the studio wanted the creative leads gone and there was no drive for a sequel without them? We probably would have had a sequel by now and I thought Days Gone had strong systems and ideas to build upon.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone compile all the Vita titles?

Possible I've missed some or made a typo but I believe these are the Vita-only games:

Game
Sales
Downloads
Killzone Mercenary​
$7,216,710​
329,599 downloads​
Everybody's Golf 6​
$6,484,981​
285,081 downloads​
Gravity Daze​
$6,389,054​
277,996 downloads​
Uncharted: Golden Abyss​
$4,772,411​
212,727 downloads​
LittleBigPlanet Vita​
$4,761,906​
232,225 downloads​
Freedom Wars​
$4,523,490​
172,833 downloads​
Soul Sacrifice Delta​
$4,441,925​
201,150 downloads​
Soul Sacrifice​
$4,337,661​
130,622 downloads​
God of War Collection (Vita)​
$4,040,474​
268,417 downloads​
Unit 13​
$3,520,808​
158,227 downloads​
Ratchet & Clank Collection HD (Vita)​
$3,069,628​
215,065 downloads​
Escape Plan​
$2,997,596​
220,863 downloads​
Motorstorm RC​
$2,635,899​
371,249 downloads​
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Vita)​
$2,526,137​
124,990 downloads​
Tearaway​
$2,085,086​
108,341 downloads​
Wipeout 2048​
$2,004,820​
101,973 downloads​
Super Stardust Delta​
$1,899,282​
185,079 downloads​
Resistance: Burning Skies​
$1,855,587​
79,769 downloads​
Oreshika 2: Tainted Bloodlines​
$1,769,154​
67,589 downloads​
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Vita)​
$1,078,916​
74,066 downloads​
Dead Nation Vita​
$873,013​
129,423 downloads​
Little Deviants​
$865,941​
43,764 downloads​
ModNation Races: Road Trip​
$846,419​
50,709 downloads​
When Vikings Attack!​
$810,651​
98,680 downloads​
Hustle Kings (Vita)​
$609,745​
68,459 downloads​
Reality Fighters​
$601,571​
33,654 downloads​
Smart As​
$322,207​
18,955 downloads​
Uncharted: Fight For Fortune​
$301,254​
60,799 downloads​
LittleBigPlanet Marvel Superheroes​
$282,450​
21,040 downloads​
PlayStation Pets​
$270,531​
15,385 downloads​
Table Top Tanks​
$203,887​
97,421 downloads​
Invizimals 4: The Alliance​
$185,039​
8,177 downloads​
Lemmings Touch​
$151,903​
19,354 downloads​
Murasaki Baby​
$138,345​
15,297 downloads​
Invizimals 5: The Resistance$106,3505,052 downloads
Hako! Open Me!​
$98,624​
11,932 downloads​
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery​
$81,866​
35,982 downloads​
PulzAR​
$80,349​
39,207 downloads​
Top Darts (Vita)​
$76,366​
9,226 downloads​
Table Ice Hockey​
$61,225​
30,899 downloads​
BigFest​
$49,186​
5,856 downloads​
Table Mini Golf​
$31,383​
15,469 downloads​
Paint Park Plus​
$27,550​
6,903 downloads​
AR Play 2012 Holiday Bundle$23,7024,147 downloads
MonsterBag​
$15,752​
1,879 downloads​
The Hungry Horde​
$9,071​
1,127 downloads​

Hopefully this looks better as a table.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio had a grand total of one internally developed game in the top 50: The Last Guardian. In 47th place too. And that was developed by a team that left the studio during development so it's a bit unknown how much was *truly* internally developed. Not hard to see why things went the way they did.

Sucks to see some excellent games like Concrete Genie, DƩracinƩ, No Heroes Allowed VR and Tearaway doing really abysmal numbers.

Oct 29, 2017
The problem of just looking at these numbers is that without knowing the development + marketing costs, it's all pretty meaningless. I don't know how much Days Gone cost to make or market, but if it meant that the margin was really low, then it makes perfect sense as to why there's no desire to continue the franchise. Seeing that it made $100m on PSN tells you nothing in and of itself - you need that extra piece of the puzzle, and we don't.

What I find particularly interesting from this though is how the number of people downloading feels quite low, even for some of the biggest games on there, given the impression that digital (certainly since covid) has overtaken physical by quite a lot in some regions. It may have changed now, but not having a single PSN title crack 10m is surprising to me for those games which are cross-gen (so had a combined PlayStation user base of what, 100m+ PS4s and, say 30m+ PS5s as at June last year).

Those download numbers would also be another metric to look at beyond cold, hard cash to gauge your game's potential baseline reach and appetite for a sequel too. Not that I think for a second they assume everybody who buys the first game would want a sequel - but they almost certainly do use those numbers in some way (with various assumptions and weightings) to help decision-making.

Anyway, my own particular never-to-be-fulfilled wish would be for The Order 1886 to have continued, but, yeah. <sad face>

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dreams at 45, with only 17mil revenue and 630k sales. And it was only digital for much of its life.
That's a wasted generation for them.. how are they still open?

They were still pulling revenue from LittleBigPlanet for much of the time that Dreams was in development so their studios performance looks a lot better than that. Plus publishers don't usually makes closure or even layoff decisions based on single projects. There's always an element of risk with every project and if publishers laid everyone off based on the performance of singular games we wouldn't have much of an industry, there has to be some space to fail.

I'm sure over their lifespan Media Molecule have still been very profitable for Sony overall and the sensible bet would be to help them get into a position where they can deliver a successful game again. This is especially true because Dreams is very successful when viewed as game, it's technically competent and delivers a really cool experience to players, people that bought it generally liked it. Where Dreams fails is as a product, and that factors matters like the marketing, target audience and their ability to capture that audience. Dreams is a good game / concept that failed to capture an audience sizeable enough, largely due to publishing decisions like the fact that it's ultimately a game engine that's only on PlayStation where you can't export or monetise your labour. The audience they're targeting want those types of features whereas LittleBigPlanet sold to wider audiences because primarily it was bought into by people wanting to play an enjoyable platformer.

Either way, Sony would be foolish to close Media Molecule at this stage but they might require more support to ensure whatever they build matches the wants of their target audience.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Man, so many PS3 games did terribly.

Drawn to Death at #509? Big fucking oof.
A lot of PS3 games weren't available digitally until much later.

Drawn To Death must be up there as one of the biggest first-party console bombs of all time. I know it launched on PS+, but seemingly the development budget was $12m and it generated total revenue of $45,213. It didn't even generate half of one percent of it's budget.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The problem of just looking at these numbers is that without knowing the development + marketing costs, it's all pretty meaningless. I don't know how much Days Gone cost to make or market, but if it meant that the margin was really low, then it makes perfect sense as to why there's no desire to continue the franchise. Seeing that it made $100m on PSN tells you nothing in and of itself - you need that extra piece of the puzzle, and we don't.

What I find particularly interesting from this though is how the number of people downloading feels quite low, even for some of the biggest games on there, given the impression that digital (certainly since covid) has overtaken physical by quite a lot in some regions. It may have changed now, but not having a single PSN title crack 10m is surprising to me for those games which are cross-gen (so had a combined PlayStation user base of what, 100m+ PS4s and, say 30m+ PS5s as at June last year).

Those download numbers would also be another metric to look at beyond cold, hard cash to gauge your game's potential baseline reach and appetite for a sequel too. Not that I think for a second they assume everybody who buys the first game would want a sequel - but they almost certainly do use those numbers in some way (with various assumptions and weightings) to help decision-making.

Anyway, my own particular never-to-be-fulfilled wish would be for The Order 1886 to have continued, but, yeah. <sad face>

I dont think # of downloads is interesting or says anything on its own, but when you ratio it with the dollars earned maybe we can get a rough estimate of the average price people bought the game at on PSN to see which end of the spectrum the digital releases fall on

Horizon ZD: $25
Days Gone: $36
GOW Ragnarok: $66 (!)
Death Stranding: $47
Until Dawn: $19
Bloodborne: $23
Demon's Souls: $64 (!)
Spider-Man: $37

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you talking about games made by other companies? The only Souls game From put out after DS3 was Sekiro and that made it to 10m at the same clip as DS3 (a bit over 4 years).
Obviously. From what I remember Sekiro got off to a much slower start than DS3 too, like 50% down vs it (might have been region specific). Pretty much all the sequels to Souls likes did worse, then Elden Ring blew up to new hights.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly what I was wondering. Spider-man is doing well but does it do really well accounting for license paid to Marvel and the hug dev costs? Comparatively I'd say Demons Souls has probably done better than Spider-Man.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It may have changed now, but not having a single PSN title crack 10m is surprising to me for those games which are cross-gen
List is limited to 1st party only, and the biggest online hits (fortnite, Genshin, Cod) take a lot of oxygen out of the room. I suspect online the effects of that are even worse given shit discoverability of well... let's be honest, all the digital store fronts.

toppa

Aug 25, 2023
This can be seen as positive or negative but Sony actually cares about reviews and player feedback. I believe I heard they even hand out bonuses if the Metascore of a game is high enough.

They won't produce sequels of a game/big new IP if it doesn't get reviewed well enough even if it made tons of money.
But they made a sequel to Knack.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously. From what I remember Sekiro got off to a much slower start than DS3 too, like 50% down vs it (might have been region specific). Pretty much all the sequels to Souls likes did worse, then Elden Ring blew up to new hights.
Dark Souls as a series was at 13m when DS3 had sold 3m units, then was at 27m when it hit 10m. It's presumably the best selling game of the three because they singled out it hitting 10m (EDIT: series at 35m as of March last year).

Bloodborne was at 7.5m at the start of 2022 while exclusive to one platform.

Sekiro made it to 2m in 10 days while DS3 did 3m in about 2 months.

So it would be more correct to say every Souls game they've released has done better than the last.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think # of downloads is interesting or says anything on its own, but when you ratio it with the dollars earned maybe we can get a rough estimate of the average price people bought the game at on PSN to see which end of the spectrum the digital releases fall on

Horizon ZD: $25
Days Gone: $36
GOW Ragnarok: $66 (!)
Death Stranding: $47
Until Dawn: $19
Bloodborne: $23
Demon's Souls: $64 (!)
Spider-Man: $37
We'll agree to disagree about the download numbers, but my main point (as I said in my post) in that looking at any of these revenue figures without the context of dev budget and marketing spend is all a bit <shrug>.

I don't think your figures above necessarily tell you anything in relation to older titles - you would expect them to sell at a much lower average price (especially those launched earlier in the PS4's life). For GOW and (more so) Demon's Souls you could infer that they haven't had either any notable discounts and/or they were massively front-loaded in terms of sales, and sold very little since - or lots of things in between. Without further underlying data (sales over time, # sales during discounts etc) then it also isn't really giving you any meaningful information with which you can extrapolate themes and trends from.

Like I say, important data is missing here to give context to all of this, so it's a curio (in respect of the bigger stuff) and not much more.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls as a series was at 13m when DS3 had sold 3m units, then was at 27m when it hit 10m. It's presumably the best selling game of the three because they singled out it hitting 10m.

Bloodborne was at 7.5m at the start of 2022 and was exclusive to one system.

Sekiro made it to 2m in 10 days while DS3 did 3m in 2 months.

So literally every Souls game they've released has done better than the last.
And I didnt say otherwise. Go read what I actually said before replying. "After Dark Souls 3" is a big part of it. But I don't really care either way, just remember there being a bit of talk around Souls games (not just From games given they didn't even release one in that time) not doing as well post DS3, obviously wasn't some massive disaster, they went from doing great to doing fine, just showing signs of a bit of a downwards trend, with DS3 looking like it would be the peak for those type of games. Demon's Souls doing just alright lines up with that.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
And I didnt say otherwise. Go read what I actually said before replying. "After Dark Souls 3" is a big part of it. But I don't really care either way, just remember there being a bit of talk around Souls games (not just From games given they didn't even release one in that time) not doing as well post DS3, obviously wasn't some massive disaster, they went from doing great to doing fine, just showing signs of a bit of a downwards trend, with DS3 looking like it would be the peak for those type of games. Demon's Souls doing just alright lines up with that.
Well, while I think it doesn't apply to stuff From puts out, the Koei Tecmo ones do seem to be down with every subsequent entry (Nioh -> Nioh 2-> Wo Long -> Ronin -> Stranger of Paradise (released third, but almost definitely last)).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, while I think it doesn't apply to stuff From puts out, the Koei Tecmo ones do seem to be down with every subsequent entry (Nioh -> Nioh 2-> Wo Long -> Ronin -> Stranger of Paradise (released third, but almost definitely last).
Yeah, I remember Chris Dring specifically talking about it after or just before Elden Ring dropped, but not really in the mood to go find his Tweets as I don't use that site anymore. Lots of the sequels to successful Souls-like games just weren't really doing as well, don't think it was anything disastrous, but just selling noticeably slower. Demon's Souls sales would have lined up with that time period so not too shocking it's sales weren't too crazy with the PS5 also being impossible to get at the time.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
There's a lot of their best quirky and creative games close to the 500k download level like Gravity Rush, Everybody's Golf, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot VR etc

It seems like it should be healthy enough if AA games are selling something close to 1m copies including physical but I wonder how viable Sony sees projects like that going forward.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Exactly what I was wondering. Spider-man is doing well but does it do really well accounting for license paid to Marvel and the hug dev costs? Comparatively I'd say Demons Souls has probably done better than Spider-Man.
The Spider-Man games are much more efficient at selling the PS5 console than stuff like Demon's Souls or Returnal.
People often forget that the main purpose of exclusive games is to sell the platform, not sell themselves.

Crunchewy

Oct 30, 2017
Dreams not doing well doesn't surprise me. I don't think most people want to create games, and that's how it was mainly marketed as I recall

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man is doing well but does it do really well accounting for license paid to Marvel and the hug dev costs?
Yes, without question. Why do you think they have more Marvel games planned for the near and distant future?

And this isn't even getting into other benefits like selling consoles and how much that adds to the pot.

I see we still in the "Spider-Man development costs / licensing is unsustainable" brainrot.
Another thing regurgitated without any thinking.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Days Gone with more than 100 million in revenue on PSN alone, but no sequel...

The game is pretty well documented to have gone through production hell and the leads on the game definitely did not play nice with each other as a whole.

There probably wasn't desire to push super hard for a sequel given all of that.