Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
damn no one downloaded demon souls

This was really strange.

Souls is bigger than ever. People scream for the Bloodborne remake, Elden Ring sells a billion copies. Dark Souls is ingrained in gaming dialogue.

Does the average J6P just...not know that Demon Souls exists because it's not called Dark Souls/Bloodborne or Elden Ring? Yeah a small vocal part of the internet had a few issues with the DeSo remake, but overall it's an incredibly high quality remake of a legendary game at the height of its popularity at a launch period where there aren't many games for the system. Very bizarre how badly it did.

If Bloodborne remake was kind of an on the fence thing at Sony, I'd imagine those sales killed that discussion.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This was really strange.

Souls is bigger than ever. People scream for the Bloodborne remake, Elden Ring sells a billion copies. Dark Souls is ingrained in gaming dialogue.

Does the average J6P just...not know that Demon Souls exists because it's not called Dark Souls/Bloodborne or Elden Ring? Yeah a small vocal part of the internet had a few issues with the DeSo remake, but overall it's an incredibly high quality remake of a legendary game at the height of its popularity at a launch period where there aren't many games for the system. Very bizarre how badly it did.

If Bloodborne remake was kind of an on the fence thing at Sony, I'd imagine those sales killed that discussion.

On the one hand, Demon's Souls really needed a remake - it was ugly, it was janky, the performance was poor, and the load times were atrocious.

On the other hand, Demon's Souls really didn't need a remake, because FromSoft has essentially been remaking Demon's Souls ever since (Dark Souls 1-3, Elden Ring). Even with the really nice graphics & QoL, it's really hard for me to muster up the enthusiasm to play Demon's Souls more, when I could just replay one of the later games which I think are drastically better.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this list only comprises of games Sony actually owns the I.P for and not just "first party" games that Sony helped fund, publish, or support but don't own the I.P for.

MLB only being the exception but that is probably because of "The Show" trademark.

nvm seems like there is published games that Sony doesn't own the I.P for as as well

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Lol
Unchartee 4 sold a total of 18m copies vs Days Gone's 7m copies sold. Also digital downloads became more common in 2019 vs 2016.

And? A new IP beat Sony's 90+ rated marquee IP on its store. You're saying it didnt earn a sequel?

And again, UC4 was a pack in so it's sales # are inflated

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
This was really strange.

It made almost $53 million in revenue on the PS Store alone. Doubt they were unhappy with that result. And Bloodborne is the bigger IP than Demon's Souls.

Seems like this list only comprises of games Sony actually owns the I.P for and not just "first party" games that Sony helped fund, publish, or support but don't own the I.P for.

MLB only being the exception but that is probably because of "The Show" trademark.
There is also Tekken 5 on there (#74), but only with numbers for SIE Europe. No idea why honestly.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
For a lot of talk about Japan studio games over years, it feels like it's not translated to sales. Bought vast majority of them too.

Also list explains why sony was happy with returnal. 30 million revenue just for digital.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
Bloodborne at 15 and still trapped in its current state? I'm done. I'm done gaming. This is too much. Nothing will ever change. Why. Why even wake up.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This was really strange.

It's sales are not that surprising, I think before Elden Ring "Souls" (and also Sekiro) games where starting to go on a bit of a downwards trend after DS3. Elden Ring obviously super hard reversed that. Demon's Souls' hype was pretty much all during the time when PS5 was also impossible to get which probably doesn't help either, then it was one of the flagships for PS+ Extra. Though speaking of that it is kinda surprising it's not downloaded more.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It made almost $53 million in revenue on the PS Store alone. Doubt they were unhappy with that result. And Bloodborne is the bigger IP than Demon's Souls.

There is also Tekken 5 on there (#74), but only with numbers for SIE Europe. No idea why honestly.
73436799_max.jpg

Seems like SIE published

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
For a lot of talk about Japan studio games over years, it feels like it's not translated to sales. Bought vast majority of them too.

Also list explains why sony was happy with returnal. 30 million revenue just for digital.

They still made the PlayStation brand what it is today. I don't care if they never produced a blockbuster. They were the heart of PlayStation for me. Will always miss their presence.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
If I'm not mistaken digital sales first surpassed physical sales for PlayStation games in 2020 due to the pandemic?

Platform holders typically breakdown digital and physical by overall revenue and not units. Digital spend would include DLC, microtransactions, indies etc.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh hey, I thought TLoU Part II was a failure or something, according to many people's absolutely not biased opinions.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't that pretty low? It was in development for 4 years and Housemarquee has ~100 employees in Europe so gotta assume a $30-50m development budget over 4 years. The physical copies plus PC port obviously help significantly but I assumed the game sold way more copies considering how much its praised and considered a must-play PS5 game.

I guess you can say it helps sell PS+ since it got added to it a while back.

I knew spiderman was strong but wow it really dominates the numbers. Pretty interesting that Ghost of Tsushima did better than Horizon.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Crash Bandicoot - 1.57m
Crash Bandicoot 2 - 0.94m
Crash Bandicoot 3 - 1.23m
Crash Team Racing - 1.03m

Spyro 1 - 670k

WipEout - 130k

Ape Escape - 40k

UmJammer Lammy - 90k
Vib Ribbon - 25k

Just some random PS1 classics I spotted. Kinda funny to see the gulf between Crash and the rest.

The downloads numbers seem so strange, 8M for SM1? That seems way too low
That would mean 17m sales of SM1 were physical, a 36:64 digital ratio which tracks with the digial ratio we know from the rest of the leaks.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I know this data probably doesn't include the Xbox and Switch versions of the game (since Sony doesn't publish those versions, only develops them, and this seems to be only PSN digital sales/revenue?) but I find it interesting that MLB The Show 21 is so much higher than previous games (first multiplatform game, Xbox only, not Switch yet) but then MLB 22 made $10 million less than 2021 and is only $8 million more than 2020's. And then this data is only 3 months after MLB 23 launched so it's probably an incomplete data set but that's only right above MLB 2020.

I knew the game going multiplatform gave it a bit of a push sales and even attention-wise, but I didn't realize that it was selling so much more even just on Playstation

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I know this data probably doesn't include the Xbox and Switch versions of the game (since Sony doesn't publish those versions, only develops them, and this seems to be only PSN digital sales/revenue?) but I find it interesting that MLB The Show 21 is so much higher than previous games (first multiplatform game, Xbox only, not Switch yet) but then MLB 22 made $10 million less than 2021 and is only $8 million more than 2020's. And then this data is only 3 months after MLB 23 launched so it's probably an incomplete data set but that's only right above MLB 2020.

I knew the game going multiplatform gave it a bit of a push sales and even attention-wise, but I didn't realize that it was selling so much more even just on Playstation
COVID and first PS5 release.

Everdred

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, Demon's Souls really didn't need a remake, because FromSoft has essentially been remaking Demon's Souls ever since (Dark Souls 1-3, Elden Ring). Even with the really nice graphics & QoL, it's really hard for me to muster up the enthusiasm to play Demon's Souls more, when I could just replay one of the later games which I think are drastically better.
Personally, I've also found Demon Souls really hard to go back to after playing the latest souls games. I don't think it feels very good but it does look phenomenal.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This was really strange.

My gut feeling (and I'm pretty sure I've seen numbers backing this up) is that the digital ratio for Sony first party stuff is lower than average. Presumably because the pricing is dumb AF and you would be mad buying it digital until years later (the Demon's Souls remake was $96 USD at launch in Australia).

EDIT: Yep, looking it up, 30% of Demon's Souls PS5 sales were digital. It had cleared 2m at the start of 2022.

EDIT 2: You can see the disparity in digital sales vs total sales by comparing the numbers here:

k8rTq9V.png

SIEA has twice as many downloads as SIEE despite only being 7% more sales total:

tU4emIX.png

Likely because the price difference between physical and digital is fucking huge outside America.

Last edited:

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Yeah the PS6 won't have a disc drive option at all.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone sold more than Uncharted 4 on PSN yet no sequel. Man there was so much potential in that gameplay

Uncharted unquestionably sold more copies at full price than Days gone did which took years and deep sales to get where it is. A big part of DG2 not existing is Bend likely failing a bunch of internal quality assessments. That game took an entire console generation for them go to make, and released to middling scores despite its potential. And that was last generation, and things are more expensive now... meanwhile here we are 5 years later and not even an announcement of their next game.

Last edited:

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Oh boy those Death Stranding numbers sure put Kojima announcing a Metal Gear clone into something of a sad context...

amara

Nov 23, 2021
So from the 2022 sales leak, TLOU2 had a digital % of 41. Assuming this is real and if the % stayed the same for the next year and a half, it would put it around 15.6m sold as of June 2023. If we do the same calculation for both skus of Ghost of Tsushima, it would be around 11.1m. Though we also have to consider them coming out at the peak of covid times so it's possible the digital % decreased since then and they've possibly sold more

Last edited:

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Don't get me wrong, I'll export to Excel, but I'm never using it to manage and collect data again. I'd assume it depends on your use case though.

It'll be an export from their CRM/SAP, not where they manage it for financial reporting. I pull them all the time from our system (to excel) for a variety of reasons i.e., strategic planning, forecasting etc.