• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 15, 2017
I just listened to my first Sanderson book - Tress of the Emerald Sea - and freaking LOVED it. I've seen ideas about which of his books to try next, but what does bookEra think?
One thing to keep in mind is that the tone for Tress is far different from any of his other books. It's much more... whimsical. That said something that's a bit more of a step towards normal Sanderson but still a bit of that tone is Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. It's the same character narrating, though it isn't quite as light hearted.

Easiest next step over all would be to dive into Mistborn or Warbreaker.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I just listened to my first Sanderson book - Tress of the Emerald Sea - and freaking LOVED it. I've seen ideas about which of his books to try next, but what does bookEra think?

You will probably get a lot of different answers.

Personally if you want to start a series I would go for Mistborn.

If you want another standalone, my favourite is The Emperor's Soul. It is quite short but probably has some of my favourite writing from Sanderson.

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
I got a numbered copy and those plushies look cute 🙈

First 45 or so minutes were a train wreck on backerkit though, glad they got it sorted out

Also another secret project is insane lol, just casually writing it in between the first finale of the Stormlight Archive.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I think Mistborn Final Empire is the best starting point (and then finishing the trilogy). It really encapsulates his style for me of building up his world and delivering with multiple payoffs, and they aren't too long.

They were written earlier on as well, so if you keep reading his other books you'll keep along with his trajectory as a writer.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I backed for the Secret Project box and Dragonsteel Prime add-on. Was on the fence since I assumed the Secret Project was going to be that kid's book he talked about before, but apparently it's a far future Cosmere novel instead.

Leatherbounds are way too expensive for me, especially with the recent price increase. Even $85 plus I guess shipping getting added on later for two books is really also too expensive but I'm doing that anyway I guess.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've recently been planning to get into the Stormlight Archive, as the description for Way of Kings spoke to me. Found it really interesting. But I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book and only learned about the Cosmere today. I've been looking around on his website and watched his FAQ on YouTube I was linked to by the OT. So now I'm thinking it might be better to start with something else. The Stormlight Archive is a big unfinished epic after all. So I'm thinking of starting with either the Mistborn trilogy or Warbreaker. I'm not usually into heist plots though which gives me pause, but is Mistborn still interesting enough to go through with?

And can I start out with the Mistborn trilogy, then do Mistborn Adventures (Wax & Wayne series) and then finally the Stormlight Archive? In which book is the creation of the cosmere described?

Last edited:

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
So, I've recently been planning to get into the Stormlight Archive, as the description for Way of Kings spoke to me. Found it really interesting. But I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book and only learned about the Cosmere today. I've been looking around on his website and watched his FAQ on YouTube I was linked to by the OT. So now I'm thinking it might be better to start with something else. The Stormlight Archive is a big unfinished epic after all. So I'm thinking of starting with either the Mistborn trilogy or Warbreaker. I'm not usually into heist plots though which gives me pause, but is Mistborn still interesting enough to go through with?

And can I start out with the Mistborn trilogy, then do Mistborn Adventures (Wax & Wayne series) and then finally the Stormlight Archive? In which book is the creation of the cosmere described?

I haven't read everything yet, but I basically followed this reading order when I started out:
https://www.readersgrotto.com/2021/09/22/the-best-cosmere-reading-order/

It does recommend to start with Mistborn Era 1, which I'd largely agree with. Though there's an argument to be made to read The Emperor's Soul first! It's a novella set in the world of Elantris, but can absolutely be read on its own. It's *really* good, basically all set in one room, and I think would serve as a terrific little litmus test to see if you vibe with his writing.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

Mistborn is probably the best starting point, or one of the standalones like elantris or warbreaker.

Don't read stormlight before mistborn as it has some major spoilers if you are paying attention.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read everything yet, but I basically followed this reading order when I started out:
https://www.readersgrotto.com/2021/09/22/the-best-cosmere-reading-order/

It does recommend to start with Mistborn Era 1, which I'd largely agree with. Though there's an argument to be made to read The Emperor's Soul first! It's a novella set in the world of Elantris, but can absolutely be read on its own. It's *really* good, basically all set in one room, and I think would serve as a terrific little litmus test to see if you vibe with his writing.
Ohhh, read through it and it seems very helpful. I'll follow that reading order and start with Mistborn.

Mistborn is probably the best starting point, or one of the standalones like elantris or warbreaker.

Don't read stormlight before mistborn as it has some major spoilers if you are paying attention.
Thanks for the warning. I won't start with The Ways of Kings as I had originally intended.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you can go in order, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter. Stormlight Archive is Sanderson's best-written series. Way of Kings was my first Sanderson book, and I don't regret that at all.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Started on Yumi and the Nightmare Painter last weekend and just finished it.

Was great. I wasn't really feeling it for the first 60-70 pages of part 1, but once part 2 started it was a ton of fun seeing Sanderson write tropey anime. The finale was pretty solid too.

After being disappointed with his last few non-secret project books, these secret project ones are 3 for 3 so far, which is encouraging. I'd put them Wizard's guide > Yumi > Tress for my tastes.

I think they're all good books, and the only negative is all three feel written at more of a slightly above YA level of simple stories that don't have much depth to them. Like maybe it's just my rose tinted glasses, but I feel like the standalone books like Elantris or Warbreaker had more depth to them, their worlds, their characters and their mysteries.

Will get to Sunlit Man sometime between now and Stormlight #5. Would like to do a re-read of Stormlight before the arc conclusion, but that's a lot of pages.

At most, may just give Rhythm of War a skimming re-read before #5's release.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Also forgot to mention but the art in Yumi by Aliya Chen is so great. Now I want a Yumi and the Nightmare Painter art book.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah damn. A good chunk of this is just going to be Sixth of Dust then. That's too bad.

I mean, is it objectively good for general audiences? Yes. But for the weirdos (like those of us in this topic) bit of a letdown that it's not all new.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Well he did say that SP5(how are we treating the name, as a spoiler or not?) Will be slightly bigger than the other secret projects.

Sixth is 17k words, while Yumi, Tress, Sunlit average around 110k so the flashbacks might amount to 10% of the book.

I'm choosing to think about is as a book in length similar to Tress + a rewritten sixth of the dusk as bonus.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Yup. My favorite short story of his.

I guess this counts as the Sixth of Dusk sequel he's been wanting to write for years?

Yes. We can finally cross that one of the list of potential future books.

With Sixth being my favorite short story of his, this finally convinced me to up my pledge to the 50 tier. That physical version will be nice to have.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yes. We can finally cross that one of the list of potential future books.

With Sixth being my favorite short story of his, this finally convinced me to up my pledge to the 50 tier. That physical version will be nice to have.

Between this and the Elantris sequels scheduled, now we just need Nightblood :)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I thought Sixth of the Dusk ripped so I'm in for more. It's definitely time to return to that story as well considering the greater Cosmere

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
image0.jpg

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Took a couple months break from reading, cause I'm an idiot. But we back now boys

Almost done with Warbreaker, first read on this. It started slow for me, but has predictably improved heavy for me.

Got a long ass flight to Thailand next week....dunno what books to take. Next on the list is Arcanum Unbound, but that will suck to carry on a plane lol. Almost done with my reread/catch up ! Sorta. 10 books or so left lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know we had a Cosmere OT!

I'm like 370 pages into WoR for the first time. Really enjoying it.

I'm also an insane person, because I'm reading Mistborn at the same time. I'm at like 170 pages there.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Draft 3.0 is complete. Now there's only the wait for draft 4.0 (and the release).

Edit April 16: Draft 4.0 (final polish) is 25% complete.

Last edited:

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh.

5 total eras for Mistborn.

Fantasy

Steampunk

Modern Urban Fantasy

CYBERPUNK

Space Opera

This man has incredible time management.

Huh, that's a change from his old plan. It was always the OG book, an 80's cyberpunk, and then sci-fi.

Wax and Wayne is now obviously era 2, but I thought the plan was still to jump into the 80's style cyberpunk next. Not sure I'll enjoy a "modern urban fantasy" style Mistborn.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's a change from his old plan. It was always the OG book, an 80's cyberpunk, and then sci-fi.

Wax and Wayne is now obviously era 2, but I thought the plan was still to jump into the 80's style cyberpunk next. Not sure I'll enjoy a "modern urban fantasy" style Mistborn.
The 80s era was supposed to be more a cold war spy thriller from what I remember?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US

80s urban fantasy was always the plan, cyberpunk is new.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
The plan was always 80's urban fantasy. He has mentioned it being the beginning of computers in the Mistborn world.

I am glad he is considering Cyberpunk Mistborn. It will be fun to have it alongside Stormlight era 2.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
After a year or so off, I'm back reading Sanderson again, about halway through Words of Radiance now, and enjoying the hell out of it. The man really does spin a terrific yarn. Want to get fully caught up before Stormlight Archive 5 comes out in December. Have to read the rest of Stormlight, The Lost Metal, and the Cosmere Secret Projects, so I'll be done in plenty of time.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Con tickets just went on sale. Anybody going?

After some issues, I managed to snag 2 VIP tickets for me and a bud. And it looks like the general admission will sell out shortly!