Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
TWoK was the first so it'd have to be KoWT, how would Knowledge and Wind fit into that?
Acronyms do not have to take a definite article (as "The" is in the first novel).

So including it or not including a reference to it in this title would have been as much Brandon's choice as breaking the Ketek.

If "knights of…" was too much of a pull for Tor/Brandon/Editors/whatever then I was just outlining other ways Brandon could have made it work

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
He's again only releasing a Hardcover in Europe for 28€? He or his publisher sure got greedy.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They probably dropped Knights of Wind of Truth title because it's too similar to the YA/romance titles like A ___ of ___ and ___

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a bit of advice. My 9 year old nephew who has fairly high functioning autism has recently gotten into reading. He is fairly selective about what he enjoys, but I thought getting him a book among other things, would be worth the risk to support a pretty wholesome interest. I remembered Sanderson has written some pretty popular young adult books, and was thinking of maybe getting him Skyward. Does anyone know if that would be suitable to someone his age?

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a bit of advice. My 9 year old nephew who has fairly high functioning autism has recently gotten into reading. He is fairly selective about what he enjoys, but I thought getting him a book among other things, would be worth the risk to support a pretty wholesome interest. I remembered Sanderson has written some pretty popular young adult books, and was thinking of maybe getting him Skyward. Does anyone know if that would be suitable to someone his age?
My 10 year old loved the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson. Alcatraz vs the evil librarians is the first one. I read it myself as well, and it's pretty easy reading but with some trademark Sanderson in there.

I keep trying to get him (my 10 year old) to read the Skyward series, but so far no dice.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
My 10 year old loved the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson. Alcatraz vs the evil librarians is the first one. I read it myself as well, and it's pretty easy reading but with some trademark Sanderson in there.

I keep trying to get him (my 10 year old) to read the Skyward series, but so far no dice.

Ah nice, I forgot about those books, I will take a look 😊

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I have a year to finish up everything before Stormlight 5.

Only have Dawnshard, Rhythm of War and Sunlit Man left to read!

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
State of Sanderson is up. Here is his tentative schedule

December 2024: Wind and Truth

Spring 2025: Skyward Legacy One(?)

December 2025: White Sand Novel/Dark One(?)

Spring 2026: Skyward Legacy Two(?)

December 2026: Skyward Legacy Three(?)

December 2026: Horneater(?)

December 2028: TBD

December 2028: Ghostbloods 1

Summer 2029: Elantris 2

December 2029: Ghostbloods 2

Summer 2030: Elantris 3

December 2030: Ghostbloods 3

Note that Dan and Isaac's Cosmere novels will be in here somewhere, as will Super Awesome Danger and likely a collection of all my non-Cosmere short fiction.

www.brandonsanderson.com

State of the Sanderson 2023 | Brandon Sanderson

Introduction Whew, what a year! As I write this, the first of the December boxes are arriving in the hands of backers—meaning the Year of Sanderson has come ...

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Going to be a long wait after Stormlight 5 (well, relative to Brandon's normal output).

But I have faith in the Ghostbloods series. I still think Mistborn has a better overarching story than most of the Cosmere, and part of that was him planning all 3 novels out at the same time. So I hope that's the same kind of process we get.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Why does he absolutely want to go on with Elantris? It's his weakest series.

Elantris itself was just fine (probably a product of it being one of his earliest works) but Emperor's Soul was excellent. I don't think there's any reason to think additional stories on Sel couldn't be closer to the latter than the former in quality. Lots of interesting stuff to explore.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Elantris itself was just fine (probably a product of it being one of his earliest works) but Emperor's Soul was excellent. I don't think there's any reason to think additional stories on Sel couldn't be closer to the latter than the former in quality. Lots of interesting stuff to explore.
That and the world of Sel and the Aons are very important to the commerce going forward (apparently)

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
Curious strategy to wait until he's written 5 books before releasing any of them.
Is a byproduct of:
  1. Wanting to write all the books in Mistborn Era 3 and Elantris sequels before releasing so he can then tweak things and add good foreshadowing in each book before publishing them
  2. Not wanting to write all the Mistborn Era 3 books or Elantris books in one go and intersperse them in between

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I don't know, I'm real fucking hyped for the Elantris return. Emperor's Soul was really good and the world itself is pretty interesting already. If anything it being his earliest work is exactly why he might want to revisit it. I'm sure he cooked up a million unused ideas since then. I'm glad he's still going forward with the return.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Is a byproduct of:
  1. Wanting to write all the books in Mistborn Era 3 and Elantris sequels before releasing so he can then tweak things and add good foreshadowing in each book before publishing them
  2. Not wanting to write all the Mistborn Era 3 books or Elantris books in one go and intersperse them in between

Makes sense, I guess. Plus, he's now in a position where he can just do that. Not many authors are.

TWOW before Ghostbloods? That is the question.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Ummm, so new Novella just dropped from the kickstarter?

I haven't been following his posts, is there going to be a physical edition coming for physical edition backers or is this a digital only thing? Just need to figure whether to wait for the physical to read it like the other books.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ummm, so new Novella just dropped from the kickstarter?

I haven't been following his posts, is there going to be a physical edition coming for physical edition backers or is this a digital only thing? Just need to figure whether to wait for the physical to read it like the other books.

Yeah basically he doesn't have time to write a new Stormlight novella and will instead write it sometime after Stormlight 5

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah basically he doesn't have time to write a new Stormlight novella and will instead write it sometime after Stormlight 5

No, I mean I just got an email a few hours ago at lunch from the kickstarter with a new novella (82 pages) called

Long Chills and Case Dough

I know there were rumors about him dropping a novella in December, so I assume this is it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'm fine with a break and then Mistborn arc3, Elantris 2/3. Though tbh was hoping he'd fit Nightblood or that Sixth of Dusk sequel in there somewhere, but hopefully those are the next non-Stormlight cosmere projects after that.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, I mean I just got an email a few hours ago at lunch from the kickstarter with a new novella (82 pages) called

Long Chills and Case Dough

I know there were rumors about him dropping a novella in December, so I assume this is it.

oh yeah. The physical of that is up for purchase on his website. Don't think it will be getting a wide release with a publisher or anything.

www.dragonsteelbooks.com

Long Chills and Case Dough Hardcover Book

This book is NOT signed. Long Chills and Case Dough is a previously unpublished short story, written just before Brandon published his first book. It was released to celebrate the finale of the 2023 "Year of Sanderson," and is published exclusively by Dragonsteel as a "Sanderson Curiosity." Also...

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
oh yeah. The physical of that is up for purchase on his website. Don't think it will be getting a wide release with a publisher or anything.

www.dragonsteelbooks.com

Long Chills and Case Dough Hardcover Book

This book is NOT signed. Long Chills and Case Dough is a previously unpublished short story, written just before Brandon published his first book. It was released to celebrate the finale of the 2023 "Year of Sanderson," and is published exclusively by Dragonsteel as a "Sanderson Curiosity." Also...

Nice. Gonna assume that physical backers are getting the hardcover of it then.

Since I like his early writing, especially his novellas, pretty interested in reading this.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Gonna assume that physical backers are getting the hardcover of it then.

Since I like his early writing, especially his novellas, pretty interested in reading this.

The physical version was just part of the standard December box, got it a few days ago as an ebook + swag backer.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he's writing more Skyward books. I'm only 10% done with Defiant so maybe it ends open ended, but it feels like that series has run it's course. The world itself does have potential, but I definitely feel like I'm done with Spensa's story.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Waiting a decade (according to Brandon in the livestream) for Stormlight 6 is going to be rough. But on the other hand I'm looking forward to what he has in store for Sel.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
He's not. Those are being written by someone else

Which is a good thing imo, since Janci's novellas were great fun reads.

I'm surprised he's writing more Skyward books. I'm only 10% done with Defiant so maybe it ends open ended, but it feels like that series has run it's course. The world itself does have potential, but I definitely feel like I'm done with Spensa's story.

Not a spoiler, but Skyward 1-4 is Spensa's story and sequel series will be different leads from the blurb.
Also yeah, by book 3 I was pretty over Spensa and book 4 didn't change that. Kind of a boring lead character imo. Janci's Skyward Flight novellas were better in part because they were Spensa-less and focused on more enjoyable characters. Also, just more characters in general. Skyward, at least Flight, works better as an ensemble piece.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Whoa. Kind of wild to think it'll be at least a decade between Stormlight 5 and 6. I hope the finale of Arc 1 feels conclusive enough for that. Also kind of weird to go from "I'm releasing like 5 books in one year" to "gonna wait several years before really releasing another book". Though I guess there's some stuff from him in that time.

Of course, for me it's fine, as I am very far behind. I have tons to catch up on. It was about two years ago that I finished Stormlight 2. Afterwards I read Warbreaker and then about a year ago started Mistborn... and bounced off. Just couldn't get into Mistborn.

Well, I'm finally back. I read Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. I really enjoyed it. Not the greatest novel ever written but it was really cute. This was the main secret project I wanted to check out so I'm glad I had a good time with it.

My Sanderson Ranking So Far:
Way of Kings > Yumi and the Nightmare Painter > Words of Radiance > Warbreaker > The Final Empire

Not sure if I want to jump back into Stormlight next or check out the other Secret Projects. I feel like I should probably jump back into Stormlight since it's been two years and I'm starting to lose memory of the details on what happened. Any good short recap videos of the first two books or something? lol

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
At first he released books too often, and now we'll complain he needs to release more often!

Fine by me, I'll finally catch up to few cosmere books. :D

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My partner gave me the [Yumi] Noodle Princess bowl set, and easily it's my favorite official/licensed merch. Could knock out a Nightmare with its heft, and no tacky branding.

Still waiting on those Stormlight minis.

Whoa. Kind of wild to think it'll be at least a decade between Stormlight 5 and 6. I hope the finale of Arc 1 feels conclusive enough for that. Also kind of weird to go from "I'm releasing like 5 books in one year" to "gonna wait several years before really releasing another book". Though I guess there's some stuff from him in that time.

Of course, for me it's fine, as I am very far behind. I have tons to catch up on. It was about two years ago that I finished Stormlight 2. Afterwards I read Warbreaker and then about a year ago started Mistborn... and bounced off. Just couldn't get into Mistborn.

Well, I'm finally back. I read Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. I really enjoyed it. Not the greatest novel ever written but it was really cute. This was the main secret project I wanted to check out so I'm glad I had a good time with it.

My Sanderson Ranking So Far:
Way of Kings > Yumi and the Nightmare Painter > Words of Radiance > Warbreaker > The Final Empire

Not sure if I want to jump back into Stormlight next or check out the other Secret Projects. I feel like I should probably jump back into Stormlight since it's been two years and I'm starting to lose memory of the details on what happened. Any good short recap videos of the first two books or something? lol
Dunno about recap vids. Most seem to incorporate Book 3. Text-wise though there's the Coppermind book summaries and Tor does a cool reread series.

You could read Tress since it's largely independent of the wider Cosmere stuff, but I'd avoid Sunlit Man until you finish Stormlight IV.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My partner gave me the [Yumi] Noodle Princess bowl set, and easily it's my favorite official/licensed merch. Could knock out a Nightmare with its heft, and no tacky branding.
I don't even eat noodles that much, but damn if I haven't come close to pulling the trigger on it several times. It looks so pretty.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Vzhseas.jpg

Stormlight 5 first draft is written!

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've started my Stormlight re-listen! I have the hardcovers and was going to read them, but I read one page and then realized that *reading* books doesn't really fit into my life anymore, and especially not books as big as Stormlight. Two young kids kill free time like nothing else.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Sunlit Man - didn't grab me at first but ultimately really enjoyed it. Once again demonstrating Sanderson's unmatched creativity in world building and magic systems. And of course lots of juicy little tidbits about the future of the cosmere.

It's the worst of the three secret cosmere novels, but that's more because the other two were S-tier than this one being bad.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Sunlit Man - didn't grab me at first but ultimately really enjoyed it. Once again demonstrating Sanderson's unmatched creativity in world building and magic systems. And of course lots of juicy little tidbits about the future of the cosmere.

It's the worst of the three secret cosmere novels, but that's more because the other two were S-tier than this one being bad.
Yeah, I agree. I rank the Secret Projects as 1,3,4,2.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaladin miniature arrived today. Looks pretty good! Thinking that maybe I should have gotten Jasnah or Dalinar as well, but I might do so if they ever become more widely available. Still think it's a shame that Adolin's was him in shardplate so it just kind of feels like just some generic bearer.