shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Posted in the reading thread but may as well add here as well.

Finished Rhythm of War, I am all caught up with ready for the 5th book!

I found it to generally be the weakest of the bunch however as per usual the ending / last 100-ish pages was an absolute blast.

I don't really like Venli who was obviously a real focus here, the character feels a bit aimless, the shit she did is so bad she feels a bit irredeemable (and never feels that repentant) and the flashbacks related to her were by far the weakest in the series as they just cover already explored ground (just saw a video where Sanderson described them as the worse himself which provides at least some comfort for the self-awareness).

The middle of the book felt like it was spinning it's wheels a bit, especially the protecting / hunting down the source points for the sibling. Kal's issues have been heavily explored already and it felt like we were retreading a lot of ground with both him and Shallan. As I said though the ending picks up a lot of momentum and was great, the directions for the characters are now really interesting, especially Shallan.

Still an absolutely solid read overall.

Dec 15, 2017
Posted in the reading thread but may as well add here as well.

Finished Rhythm of War, I am all caught up with ready for the 5th book!

I found it to generally be the weakest of the bunch however as per usual the ending / last 100-ish pages was an absolute blast.

I don't really like Venli who was obviously a real focus here, the character feels a bit aimless, the shit she did is so bad she feels a bit irredeemable (and never feels that repentant) and the flashbacks related to her were by far the weakest in the series as they just cover already explored ground (just saw a video where Sanderson described them as the worse himself which provides at least some comfort for the self-awareness).

The middle of the book felt like it was spinning it's wheels a bit, especially the protecting / hunting down the source points for the sibling. Kal's issues have been heavily explored already and it felt like we were retreading a lot of ground with both him and Shallan. As I said though the ending picks up a lot of momentum and was great, the directions for the characters are now really interesting, especially Shallan.

Still an absolutely solid read overall.
I get that sentiment. I think, for me, The Dog and the Dragon with the "You will be warm again" instantly puts this in the same echelon as WoR. For me, it goes 2>4>>1>3. All 4 books are in my top 10 reads of all time, mind you, but that is how I'd rank them.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I get that sentiment. I think, for me, The Dog and the Dragon with the "You will be warm again" instantly puts this in the same echelon as WoR. For me, it goes 2>4>>1>3. All 4 books are in my top 10 reads of all time, mind you, but that is how I'd rank them.

Ahh Chapter 80? I remember it because it was absolutely wonderful. Probably my favourite writing in a Stormlight chapter, so much so that I gave it a second read while going through.

Fully agree all of them are top tier.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, my buddy and I are going to Dragonsteel 2024 this year. I'm really not a con person, but it feels like the right time. With a potential 5 year gap between this year and the next Cosmere book, we wanted to go all in. Booked our hotel already lol. I don't think I've ever booked a hotel nearly 12 months out for anything before in my life.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got a pin board to put all of the pins from Series 1 from the Year of Sanderson. I'm putting it all together and I can't find my Vin pin, which came with the first box for Tress 😭

If anybody doesn't want their pin I'll buy it off of you!

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Finished Tress of the Emerald Sea. Enjoyed the writing/tone which felt pretty different for Sanderson. I was not quite so sure about the ending which came across a bit rushed. I think that for a book nearly 500 pages long it surprisingly needed a bit more as so much is taken up by the required world building but perhaps I am just spoiled by the books that are written as a series. Hope that we eventually revisit this world.

I have got the other two secret project books to read along with Elantris (which has been on my 'to read' list for ages) and I will have cleared the Cosmere books. Plan is to hopefully get them read before the middle of the year and leave a bit of breathing room before Wind and Truth.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I started my Stormlight re-read and I still adore Way of Kings, but Words of Radiance is a slog. I find myself actually skipping Shallan's flashback chapters entirely. I know the beats, but they feel genuinely unimportant to the bigger picture.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I started my Stormlight re-read and I still adore Way of Kings, but Words of Radiance is a slog. I find myself actually skipping Shallan's flashback chapters entirely. I know the beats, but they feel genuinely unimportant to the bigger picture.

Have you read any of the theories for book 5? Just curious if that influences your opinion at all.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused how you can say Shellan's flashbacks aren't important. the Trauma she suffered through as a child is why she has split personalities as an adult.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I Skip different Flashbacks during different rereads. Last time, I skipped Kaladin's and Shallan's, but read Dalinar's (this was right before RoW). This upcoming reread I will probably reread Shallan's and Book 4's flashbacks, but still skip Kal's and likely skip Dalinar's (Kal's due to how many times I have read them, Dalinar's because they are hard to read in retrospect ).

The books are huge, and it is a lot to reread. so I get it.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you mind sharing a link?

I don't have one offhand at the moment, but there's a popular theory floating around that actually Shallan's mother was one of the heralds, and that when Shallan kills her, she returns to Braize and then immediately "breaks" and returns to Roshar, starting the desolation. Her physical descriptions seem to line up, and it wouldn't be the first time an innocuous turn of phrase in an early book ended up being literal - in this case, one of Shallan's chapters begins "The world ended, and Shallan was to blame."

Kenaras

Nov 9, 2018
I've done one full reread, just before Rhythm of War. Not planning to do a full reread this time, but I might reread Dawnshard and Rhythm of War. Then maybe another full reread before Stormlight 6.

Do you mind sharing a link?

Personally I'd recommend avoiding fan theories. There are fans who obsessively study both the books and the author's comments. ("Words of Brandon.") Some of their theories are so thoroughly researched they're nearly spoilers.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Are we all excited to see what fresh hell Kaladin has to endure this time?
At least he'll have his plate this time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if a Sanderson curiosity will be part of this. It's really all I'm interested in. His leather-bounds just aren't my style.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would be interested in this campaign if there was a new novella but since there isn't, I doubt I'll back anything.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
If a novella gets added, then I will likely back it (even without a leatherbound version of WOK).

But I don't NEED a copy, so it really will take the "extras" to sell it to me.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dragonsteel Prime will be part of the rewards. They are also reprinting The Way of Kings Prime to match it.

Oh shoot, that was confirmed? Very cool. I have WoK Prime, but I kind of like that mine is the "old" style. No need to have them all match when all of his books look so different anyways.

I say all that even as I envy the unified white/black/single color design on all his UK books…

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah. The leatherbound crowdfunding campaings are too expensive for something I won't ever actually use (I mostly read digital books). I'll wait for the Stormlight RPG kickstarter since I'll actually get some use out of that one.

Edit: He can't keep getting away with it!!!

Last edited:

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lololololololololololololol

I guess this is just the rhythm now? Oh, and BackerKit is down.

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017
Sure we've had 4 secret novels... but why not 5?

Edit:

Crop... rotate... zoom.. ENHANCE:
Vrb0bQQ.png

"A New Secret Project by Brandon Sanderson"

05e.png

Last edited:

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no… do I want all the radiant packs? I took the quiz and got Windrunner so maybe I'll just get that one.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to push back the launch of this point (either later today or another day). This is kind of ridiculous.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This why I was hesitant to comment on the relative upcoming drip feed of books, relative to his output these last few years. The dude can't help himself

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Ended up just backing the cheapest tier. I ultimately care about the books and being completely honest, most of the doodads from the backer boxes would just spend the next years in a drawer somewhere.

Plyus, I don't want to deal with shipping.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Would really love to get the Leatherbound WoR and WoK add on but if I'm honest…the $500 plus the shipping it would cost is just a killer.

It wouldn't break the bank but I don't think I can internally justify it on a copies of what is a really nice book (that I have already read) which would likely sit on a shelf because I would be too precious about keeping it nice to read it.

Excited about the new secret project though, that's probably the best news from the launch for me.

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
I just listened to my first Sanderson book - Tress of the Emerald Sea - and freaking LOVED it. I've seen ideas about which of his books to try next, but what does bookEra think?