• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict the Top 3 Overall GOTY Winners of 2023

• Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Predecessor was the 2017 overall winner with 264 awards)

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Starfield (Bethesda has won overall GOTY 3 times with Fallout 4 in 2nd place behind Witcher 3)

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Final Fantasy XVI (Square's most awarded game is FF7 Remake which was #5 in 2020)

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Resident Evil 4 (2023) (RE2 Remake was the 2nd overall winner in 2019)

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Spider-Man 2 (Predecessor came in 3rd place in 2018 behind GOW and RDR2)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Street Fighter 6 (Fighting genre rarely gets a lot of GOTY love, could this be the year?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others (Baldur's Gate 3, Hi-Fi, Diablo, Jedi Survivor etc.)

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Sure! Yeah that one was a tricky one and I originally had them under Action Adventure (mostly because that's how a lot of sites had it) but looking back at it, it was clear to me that some sites who had Best Adventure mainly had games who focused more in adventure over action.

Like I mention in my notes, those 3 genres are a mess to properly organize, I most likely made some mistakes.
Thanks! I somehow missed that category already being listed In your previous post, my apologies lol.

I wanted to ask since I did see Noisy Pixel place Sonic Frontiers in particular as "Best Adventure", and wondered if that counts for eligibility for your category list as a Runner up. Otherwise, thanks again for the response.

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I somehow missed that category already being listed In your previous post, my apologies lol.

I wanted to ask since I did see Noisy Pixel place Sonic Frontiers in particular as "Best Adventure", and wondered if that counts for eligibility for your category list as a Runner up. Otherwise, thanks again for the response.
I moved it to the Best Adventure category. Unfortunately both Pentiment is the runner up by 5 awards in that category.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Famitsu Dengeki Awards - Elden Ring (?)
can't find site or anything

View: https://twitter.com/Ziostorm1/status/1637098173750550528

s.famitsu.com

“ファミ通・電撃ゲームアワード2022”受賞まとめ。『エルデンリング』がゲームオブザイヤーを含む3冠を獲得。『ヘブバン』4冠、『ポケモンSV』2冠など | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ゲームファンの投票により2022年のベストゲームを選ぶ企画“ファミ通・電撃ゲームアワード2021”。ゲーム・オブ・ザ・イヤーを含む21部門+αの受賞タイトル一覧をまとめて掲載する。

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
Welp can still go for the record with 8 awards shows, although I have my doubts about BAFTA giving it to elden ring.
8 will never be a fair count. ER can go for max 7 wins. Japan Game Awards are never given to west games, which makes it unfair to include them. I think 8 is the max number of main goty awards a game can win.

Thaum

Jan 5, 2023
8 will never be a fair count. ER can go for max 7 wins. Japan Game Awards are never given to west games, which makes it unfair to include them. I think 8 is the max number of main goty awards a game can win.

Well if we go with your thoughts, 7 is gonna be the max now, since apparently the sxsw game awards have been discontinued to streamline the festival.

The Japan game awards did give it to Ghost of Tsushima as well as monster hunter rise, tho they probably did cuz of the japanese setting lmao.

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
Well if we go with your thoughts, 7 is gonna be the max now, since apparently the sxsw game awards have been discontinued to streamline the festival.

The Japan game awards did give it to Ghost of Tsushima as well as monster hunter rise, tho they probably did cuz of the japanese setting lmao.
Capcom is a Japanese developer but yeah...Japanese game or Japanese setting.

Thaum

Jan 5, 2023
It appears that it has been discontinued but I can't seem to find any official confirmation.

Yeah it seems from what was said in Wikipedia it sounds like it was just asked during a panel or something. Maybe official confirmation will happen shortly.

Also will SXSW be removed from the major awards or will there just be a note about its discontinuation?

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
Titanium Awards? First time I've heard that.
It has like 2 names (Titanium Awards seems to be the common one but its also being known as the BIG Awards) all under the Fun & Serious Game Festival or BIG Conference (I'm honestly not sure).
Not gonna lie, I've been pondering about them for a while now. They are technically an award show and they have been doing it for much longer than SXSW. I figure they could be added now that SXSW is no more. I do like that it is a European award show since most of them are from the US. The only problem I'm seeing is a lack of showmanship or prestige from this award event.

Thaum

Jan 5, 2023
www.bafta.org

2023 BAFTA Games Awards: The Winners

Explore all the winners and nominations for the 2023 BAFTA Games Awards, celebrating the very best games of 2022 and the talent who made them. Scroll down to view the full list, or click images below to reveal category nominations. The BAFTA Games Awards took place on Thursday 30 March, watch...

No wikipedia sweep :(

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
BAFTA 2022 - Vampire Survivors
Nice!
I knew BAFTA would be a wild card as always.
www.bafta.org

2023 BAFTA Games Awards: The Winners

Explore all the winners and nominations for the 2023 BAFTA Games Awards, celebrating the very best games of 2022 and the talent who made them. Scroll down to view the full list, or click images below to reveal category nominations. The BAFTA Games Awards took place on Thursday 30 March, watch...

No wikipedia sweep :(
It was still a damn good run. ER was nearly at the top of the event awards:

8:
Breath of the Wild (TITAN, DICE, TGA, GDC, Joystick, NYGA, SXSW, JGA)

7:
God of War 2018 (BAFTA, DICE, GDC, TGA, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)
Elden Ring (DICE, TGA, Joystick, NYGA, JGA, NAVGTR, GDC)
The Witcher 3 (TITAN, TGA, GDC, Joystick, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)

6:
The Last of Us (BAFTA, DICE, GDC, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Nice!
I knew BAFTA would be a wild card as always.

It was still a damn good run. ER was nearly at the top of the event awards:

8:
Breath of the Wild (TITAN, DICE, TGA, GDC, Joystick, NYGA, SXSW, JGA)

7:
God of War 2018 (BAFTA, DICE, GDC, TGA, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)
Elden Ring (DICE, TGA, Joystick, NYGA, JGA, NAVGTR, GDC)
The Witcher 3 (TITAN, TGA, GDC, Joystick, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)

6:
The Last of Us (BAFTA, DICE, GDC, NAVGTR, NYGA, SXSW)
Yeah think it could've had 8 with BOTW if SXSW didn't get canceled for last year, still the most dominant year ever, ~74% of award won is mad and wont be surpassed ever again I think (unless you have a huge major hit come out in a 2021-type year), total GOTY's might if more publications start doing them.

Time to call and wrap it up?

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if TOTK will be as dominant this round. Happy for the ER, I'm sure w/e they have planned next will be spectacular.

a0mineda1k1

Dec 13, 2022
VioletGamers (IR) - Elden Ring
VioletGamers (IR, Reader's Choice) - Elden Ring

بهترین بازی سال 2022

بهترین بازی سال 2022 چیست؟ با نظرات صد ها گیمر و منتقد حرفه ای درباره بهترین بازی های سال 2022 در ویولت گیمرز همراه باشید.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Just saw the new poll, I think BOTW and Starfield will be frontrunners if Starfield really comes out with a bang, good impression and high reviews, otherwise ToTK seems like a lock to be honest.

Third pick would be Silksong, if it ever comes out.

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
200w.gif

RTL Today (LU): Elden Ring (Gaming Portion of the site seems to be run by a single individual) [I put this one in ineligible but its counted on the site]
Oyungezer Magazine (TR) - Elden Ring (I missed this one, added)

ER total should be at 436 with the below.

VioletGamers (IR) - Elden Ring
VioletGamers (IR, Reader's Choice) - Elden Ring

بهترین بازی سال 2022

بهترین بازی سال 2022 چیست؟ با نظرات صد ها گیمر و منتقد حرفه ای درباره بهترین بازی های سال 2022 در ویولت گیمرز همراه باشید.
Added.