• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The slowdowns are noticeably worse than the PS4 game, which kind of sucks. I think it's a side effect of the computer having to factor in monster position and Link arrows before summoning.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ok Era, got it, time to duel.

vG7aDBT.jpg

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sixth Sense has got to be one of the most broken cards I've ever seen. What the hell was Konami smoking with that one.

RoeBear

Oct 27, 2017
What are some other cards I should put into my wind-up deck? I only have one Wind-Up Shark so it's kind of trash anyway.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sixth Sense has got to be one of the most broken cards I've ever seen. What the hell was Konami smoking with that one.
But surely nobody would want to pay the incredible cost of maybe sending 1-4 cards to the graveyard (which is totally a bad thing) for the chance of a +4 or +5 in card advantage lol

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for my copy. I am disappointed that his ugly, minimalist game has performance problems. I mean seriously? Otherwise I can't wait to dive into this. Never had anything to do with Yu-Gi-Oh and 9.000 cards already sounds like an overkill.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I wish this game would be a little bit more professional and at least acts like its a game supposed to represent the franchise for the next few years.

That starts by the lackluster animations in the battle, or rather the missing animations, cause it could have at least stuff like when you attack with your cards that your card move to the opponent and hits him like in Magic Arena, or stuff like when you play a card that affects an enemy card, like when a specific monster can't attack anymore because of a trap, that the game at least shows you which monster it was. Had a round where I forgot which one it was and nothing told you that.

And goes over to open booster packs, which by the way is the lamest thrown together loot menu I've seen in years. Best part, it doesn't even show you which cards in this opened booster you already have and which are new. Like the game doesn't fn care. That really annoys me.

Could also have better card zoom options and camera options in general for the playfield.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't seem to care that cards have been banned or limited, which seems less than ideal.

Also, the game doesn't seem balanced properly. I'm running a deck that's going by the ban/limit list and am largely just rolling before I can get more than just a single Link/XYZ/Fusion off. Generally as soon as I get one of those, it's game.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The game doesn't seem to care that cards have been banned or limited, which seems less than ideal.

Also, the game doesn't seem balanced properly. I'm running a deck that's going by the ban/limit list and am largely just rolling before I can get more than just a single Link/XYZ/Fusion off. Generally as soon as I get one of those, it's game.

It does online

Try challenge mode for an AI with better constructed decks and strategies.

Story mode is meant to teach you how to play

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It does online

Try challenge mode for an AI with better constructed decks and strategies.

Story mode is meant to teach you how to play
I played a bit online. For some reason two of the three guys I faced ran Exodia decks that I tore in two and the third ran a really awesome deck that I just happened to beat because I pulled all my best cards and could pull off massive summons.

Come to think of it, is there a video explaining syncro cards? Also, what are tuner cards?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I played a bit online. For some reason two of the three guys I faced ran Exodia decks that I tore in two and the third ran a really awesome deck that I just happened to beat because I pulled all my best cards and could pull off massive summons.

Come to think of it, is there a video explaining syncro cards? Also, what are tuner cards?

All the new types of cards are explained in the OP

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If you want to see an actual challenge I'm more than happy to curbstomp you :D

Oct 25, 2017
fun playing this at work on my lunch break.

Did get a bit trapped using joeys deck against mai in duelist kingdom thus far, but eventually won after starting out with a pretty epic hand.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm grinding Kaiba for Thunder Dragons, but it keeps giving me the one no one uses lmao.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Every card I've been targeting has been obscenely rare in these packs. Like 100k just to get a set, damn.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm grinding Kaiba for Thunder Dragons, but it keeps giving me the one no one uses lmao.
If you're talking titan, it's not as good as colossus, but it's still useful in the Thunder dragon builds you can actually make in this game (Which are basically Pure and Chaos ones). The more modern builds that are more focused on the guardragon engine don't use it, but those builds literally can't be played here since the core guardragon cards used aren't in the game and neither are the danger! monsters since those are tcg only

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, which story mode gets you more pendulum cards? I'm incorporating some into my deck and I've only got a handful. Enough to be dangerous, but I feel like it could be better.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every card I've been targeting has been obscenely rare in these packs. Like 100k just to get a set, damn.
yeah, i gave up on trying to pull Cyber Dragon Infinity because of this. Have 313/314 in the pack and only am missing CDI after dumping well over 300k and getting more than 3 of nearly every other card in the pack.

It's almost as bad as gacha rates.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, which story mode gets you more pendulum cards? I'm incorporating some into my deck and I've only got a handful. Enough to be dangerous, but I feel like it could be better.
Arc V is the pendulum series, but is also the only series that doesnt focus on its gimmick and several characters either dont use them at all(In favor of Synchro, fusion, and Xyz) or just have a select few support.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Really dumb noon question: what are the two spaces on the board between your and your opponent's area (either side of the phase indicator)?

Tutorial hasn't mentioned them as far as I've noticed, but sometimes it seems to put summoned monsters there.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Really dumb noon question: what are the two spaces on the board between your and your opponent's area (either side of the phase indicator)?

Tutorial hasn't mentioned them as far as I've noticed, but sometimes it seems to put summoned monsters there.
That's the zone for monsters summoned from the Extra Deck (Fusion, Synchro, Xyz)

They added them with the big recent rule change

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arc-V would be where you want to go, but it's worth noting that you probably don't actually want to incorporate pendulums into decks that aren't actually built around them. The main strength of the powerful pendulum archetypes like pendulum magicians involves using the pendulum monsters going to the extra deck when destroyed as the pool for summoning more so than from the hand (This is still true even in the link era, it's why Metalfoes Electrumite is an absolute necessity in any usable pendulum deck nowadays). The issue with using pendulum summoning in a non pendulum deck is that you'll get maybe one noteworthy use out of them and then your hand is empty (which is really, really bad most of the time since if your opponent outs your board you no longer have options) or you get a hand where you aren't special summoning much at all with them anyways

Also, absolutely do not use pendulum summoning with the intent of getting out high level main deck monsters without tributing when those cards aren't even pendulum monsters, because those monsters will just be bricks if you didn't draw the actual pendulums you need to summon them

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Amazon still hasn't shipped my game lmao. That's Fire Emblem and now this that I've been waiting days after release for them to post. Not that I mind too much when they were fifteen bucks cheaper than any of the physical stores and I'm still plenty busy with Fire Emblem but still kinda pointless to preorder when this keeps happening.

Aah, that makes sense. Is it one for each player or are they shared? e.g. either player can use either or both of free?

It's one for each player. If you're the first to summon a monster to it you can pick which of the zones you want, otherwise you just use the one that's left open

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

They're the new Extra Monster Zones used for the new Link Rules regarding Extra Deck summons

Check the video in the OP for a full explanation of these rules, but basically they're the only place you can put Extra Deck cards now, unless you use a Link card

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i gave up on trying to pull Cyber Dragon Infinity because of this. Have 313/314 in the pack and only am missing CDI after dumping well over 300k and getting more than 3 of nearly every other card in the pack.

It's almost as bad as gacha rates.

Don't waste currency on that one, you can farm that card by spam surrending to a guy from Arc-V called "Z-arc". The challenge mode version.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing the game a lot lately thanks to a lot of nostalgia for the anime and the few cards I had, but I haven't played any Yu-Gi-Oh since the first set of cards, so I don't really know what most of these new mechanics are. Does the game do a good job at slowly introducing them, or is it just kind of all at once? I'm reading over the stuff in the OP but I really need hands on to cement how it works in my head

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing the game a lot lately thanks to a lot of nostalgia for the anime and the few cards I had, but I haven't played any Yu-Gi-Oh since the first set of cards, so I don't really know what most of these new mechanics are. Does the game do a good job at slowly introducing them, or is it just kind of all at once? I'm reading over the stuff in the OP but I really need hands on to cement how it works in my head
There are tutorials for every mechanic from Tributing, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Link. Honestly what helped me learn most was to just copy a deck that utilized one of those mechanics extensively and just learn to play over time, eventually you will understand how it works in general across most decks. With Links, you will probably have to learn those alongside everything else due to how they function.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If I want to just race through to a particular pack(s) so I can make a deck to steamroll story for a while, what's my best option? Or in other words, what's a decent deck/archetype I can build quickly? Does Mai's pack have most of the Harpie support I'd need for good Harpies? That's one of my favorite IRL decks. I haven't played in a few years so I'm behind on some mechanics.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
If I want to just race through to a particular pack(s) so I can make a deck to steamroll story for a while, what's my best option? Or in other words, what's a decent deck/archetype I can build quickly? Does Mai's pack have most of the Harpie support I'd need for good Harpies? That's one of my favorite IRL decks. I haven't played in a few years so I'm behind on some mechanics.

Harpies got a lot of support, but this Game is missing the latest batch. Including their exclusive Link "Harpie Conductor"

Still, Harpies as they are in these Game can still steamroll the story mode

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017

I've steamrolled through most of the story with Toons, so I imagine you could get by with pretty much anything as long as it's built well enough. I know the Kaiba pack has a lot of strong cards for a top tier deck.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Harpies got a lot of support, but this Game is missing the latest batch. Including their exclusive Link "Harpie Conductor"

Still, Harpies as they are in these Game can still steamroll the story mode
Good to know, thank you.
I've steamrolled through most of the story with Toons, so I imagine you could get by with pretty much anything as long as it's built well enough. I know the Kaiba pack has a lot of strong cards for a top tier deck.
Oh, I love the Toons too. I'll check them out. Did you build your Toon deck mostly out of the one pack?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, thank you.

Oh, I love the Toons too. I'll check them out. Did you build your Toon deck mostly out of the one pack?
The Toons themselves come out of the Bakura pack, but I pulled for non-toons support cards from a lot of other packs and by doing challenge fights. You can use some banned cards like Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity for story/challenge mode though, I think those come from the Grandpa Muto pack.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The Toons themselves come out of the Bakura pack, but I pulled for non-toons support cards from a lot of other packs and by doing challenge fights. You can use some banned cards like Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity for story/challenge mode though, I think those come from the Grandpa Muto pack.
Gotcha, thank you.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont care how many "meta" youtubers try to tell me Chaos MAX Dragon is bad, Ill never stop running 3 copies of it, Chaos Form, and Bingo

Ill die on this chaos MAX hill

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this a lot more than I thought I would. I didn't think anything could get me off of Fire Emblem NG+, but here we are.

I'm doing a linear run of all of the series using the story decks. It's a lot more challenging than I anticipated, mainly because Yugi has shit like Winged Dragon Guardian of the Fortress.