• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are Links really that complicated? I only have a few and they don't seem to have any extra effects or anything.
Not really. The arrows pointing to stuff does matter, but it's not too bad and most decks don't need to worry too hard. The biggest problem with links is extra linking which is a dumb rule that's not ever made clear in the game and isn't intuitive, and is unfortunately part of the strongest deck type you can build in this game due to it's banlist still having topologic gumblar dragon legal

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. The arrows pointing to stuff does matter, but it's not too bad and most decks don't need to worry too hard. The biggest problem with links is extra linking which is a dumb rule that's not ever made clear in the game and isn't intuitive, and is unfortunately part of the strongest deck type you can build in this game due to it's banlist still having topologic gumblar dragon legal
What do the arrows do?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do the arrows do?
A few things
The first and most notable is that you can summon monsters from the extra deck to any space the link arrows point to in addition to the extra monster zone
The second is that if a monster is in a zone an arrow points to, it's considered "linked" to the Link monster which matters in some of their effects. Also some link monster effects specifically allow you to special summon a card to a space they point to.
Third: If two link monsters both point to each other, they're considered "co-linked" which can matter depending on the effects of the cards you're playing
Fourth: Now this is the problematic one: If you have co-linked monsters arranged such that starting in your extra monster zone, they form a chain that ultimately points to the other extra monster zone, you form an "extra link". Now in terms of effects the only Monster I can think of that specifically uses extra links is Topologic Gumblar Dragon, but the real issue is that when you have an extra link, you can use the OTHER extra monster zone, take control of both, and now you're opponent can't special summon to either extra monster zone until they out either of the monsters you have occupying them

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
A few things
The first and most notable is that you can summon monsters from the extra deck to any space the link arrows point to in addition to the extra monster zone
The second is that if a monster is in a zone an arrow points to, it's considered "linked" to the Link monster which matters in some of their effects. Also some link monster effects specifically allow you to special summon a card to a space they point to.
Third: If two link monsters both point to each other, they're considered "co-linked" which can matter depending on the effects of the cards you're playing
Fourth: Now this is the problematic one: If you have co-linked monsters arranged such that starting in your extra monster zone, they form a chain that ultimately points to the other extra monster zone, you form an "extra link". Now in terms of effects the only Monster I can think of that specifically uses extra links is Topologic Gumblar Dragon, but the real issue is that when you have an extra link, you can use the OTHER extra monster zone, take control of both, and now you're opponent can't special summon to either extra monster zone until they out either of the monsters you have occupying them
So wait, I can special summon a monster from my extra deck to any spot that an arrow from a Link monster is pointing to? Regardless of fusion or cost or whatever?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of any other effects the monster might have? So, fusion, link, xyz? Just, whatever?
Yes. As far as I know no monster has an effect that requires it to be summoned to the EMZ, though I think some upcoming cards in the real game have effects that only apply when summoned to the EMZ

To give an example, in a pure thunder dragon deck, I can link two thunder monsters to play
300px-SomeSummerSummoner-SOFU-EN-SR-1E.png

then if I used a thunder dragon hand effect during that turn, I can use another thunder monster to fusion summon
300px-ThunderDragonColossus-OP10-EN-UtR-UE.png

to a space Some Summer Summoner points to. I can then use the thunder dragon fusion spell card to bring out
300px-ThunderDragonTitan-SOFU-EN-ScR-1E.png

before finally using some summer summoner as material to bring out another Colossus, ending on a board of two colossus and one titan

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. As far as I know no monster has an effect that requires it to be summoned to the EMZ, though I think some upcoming cards in the real game have effects that only apply when summoned to the EMZ
Holy crap, I've just been using a Link monster as a power card when I haven't pulled anything else.

Can it also be used to summon to the other special summon spot?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Fuck guys. I was at my gaming store today and saw that on the shelf, saw the back, saw the 9000 cards and I was immediately hooked and so close to buy it. It gave me gigantic flashbacks to the GBA and DS games and based on the Screenshots on the back and the text, it seems like a f'n good Yu-Gi-Oh title? I'm really torn back & forth if I should buy this.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I've just been using a Link monster as a power card when I haven't pulled anything else.

The other extra monster zone? As I brought up, it can if you are using an extra link, but not if you just have an arrow pointing to them. But extra linking is one of the most degenerate strategies in the game

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

If both Extra Monsters Zones are available, you can choose which one you want to use, the other automatically becomes your opponent's until they are both empty again.

The only way to use both is through the extra link mechanic which was dumb as hell and now the game tries to pretend it doesn't exist.

Unfortunately this game doesn't have the banlist that killed it

This video might help you

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If both Extra Monsters Zones are available, you can choose which one you want to use, the other automatically becomes your opponent's until they are both empty again.

The only way to use both is through the extra link mechanic which was dumb as hell and now the game tries to pretend it doesn't exist.

Extra linking was seriously the dumbest mechanic in the game on so many levels. It's obscenely broken if you pull it off and it's incredibly counter intuitive

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Fuck guys. I was at my gaming store today and saw that on the shelf, saw the back, saw the 9000 cards and I was immediately hooked and so close to buy it. It gave me gigantic flashbacks to the GBA and DS games and based on the Screenshots on the back and the text, it seems like a f'n good Yu-Gi-Oh title? I'm really torn back & forth if I should buy this.

It's the best representation of the current game available legally

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
English release is here but ive already sunk 190 hours into the JP release

Maybe I should finally try online with my Deskbots

i wish they had voice acting and what not, just feels like a glorified mobage.

Still gonna try to just grind some stages so i can make my decks instead of using the overpowered story decks.
Overpowered lol? Anything that isnt Jaden's mirror force is pretty garbage, or incredibly situational for the specific story duel.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Overpowered lol? Anything that isnt Jaden's mirror force is pretty garbage, or incredibly situational for the specific story duel.

Not to mention that pretty much any pre-VRAINS story deck is extremely nerfed by the new rules

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing story duels with story decks is basically hoping the rng blesses you with the right cards to eventually win after slogging it out for like a dozen turns

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing story duels with story decks is basically hoping the rng blesses you with the right cards to eventually win after slogging it out for like a dozen turns
Yeah, it really emphasizes how incredibly unrealistically lucky every anime character is

ESPECIALLY Yugi, who never should have won anything ever with that duelist kingdom deck

Not to mention that pretty much any pre-VRAINS story deck is extremely nerfed by the new rules
Thankfully I avoided using story decks past 5DS, couldnt imagine trying to do Zexal and Arcv with the new rules

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it really emphasizes how incredibly unrealistically lucky every anime character is

ESPECIALLY Yugi, who never should have won anything ever with that duelist kingdom deck
I mean to be fair, his deck wasn't a shit as Weevil's where the story deck gives him a few newer cards so his strategy isn't 100% unusable

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

This video might help you

Holy crap, I've def been underutilizing this kind of monster.

Oct 25, 2017

Really? I did Yuki's deck in his kaiba match and was able to get exodia just cause I had two of the Heart of the Underdog cards on the field and got to like 30 cards in my hand lol.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Invest heavily into the Playmaker pack and you'll have a ton of links. I don't know of any that aren't in his pack.
There are a bunch of basic ones, some which are really useful in good decks, in the grandpa pack, and a few archetype linked ones in other packs (Like the galaxy eyes link is in the Kite pack with the rest of the galaxy eyes cards) but yeah playmaker pack has a lot of them. Playmaker pack also just generally has a lot of powerful newer archetypes and cards really

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Playing through the xbox version now to see if I wanna get it again. Couple things that make 0 sense:

1. Being able to leave a match with no repercussions
  2. Is there really no time limit on counter-play? I.e., he had some trap or magic card and I was attacking directly for final KO. Didn't see a counter anywhere, so if he wanted to be a bitch could he just go do something and leave it on robbing my win?
  3. Would be cool to have tag-team match queue, but understandably pretty tough
1. Click your deck during your turn to surrender.
2. This is dependent on the room settings. I think 3-5 minutes is a good amount.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Started playing the game and whoa, what's with the slowdown during the later part of duels? Was in a stall duel with weevil and it really chugged during the second half (handheld mode).

Edit: seems to happen when there are a lot of cards in play. The slowdown is really bad.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Started playing the game and whoa, what's with the slowdown during the later part of duels? Was in a stall duel with weevil and it really chugged during the second half (handheld mode).
I wish there was an option to turn the animations off.

Yeah, really wish they put a little more effort in on this.

Apparently it doesn't support cloud saves either and my game has hard crashed over half a dozen times just tonight. I had never even seen the Switch crash to desktop screen before tonight.

Hope they actually patch it at some point. A few more hard crashes and I'm going to go to Nintendo support for a refund, if they even do that.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God, the themed decks in the original anime story are hilarious. Some make absolutely no sense, but it cracked me up when I realized I actually needed to use catapult turtle against Panic.

I've only opened a couple boosters so far. Kinda waiting to get some of the later packs, even if I would love to make one of those newer Blue Eyes decks.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
God, read the whole thread twice now, I think I will get this today.
Hope it gets the support that it deserves from the devs as "the" digital Yu-Gi-Oh game out there, even if some stuff sound questionable and alarming already.

Is the new limited extra monster zone and the idea to extend it with link monster really that bad? Cause on paper, I can see what the thought behind it was and it sounds like a fun idea with the arrows.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Already got some stuff going with my cyber dragons, boy this new stuff gets things rolling fast. Are there any link monsters other than Sieger that I should try to grab for more summon space options?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Already got some stuff going with my cyber dragons, boy this new stuff gets things rolling fast. Are there any link monsters other than Sieger that I should try to grab for more summon space options?

I'd try Hip Hoshiningen, Qliphort Genius, and the Knightmare links

God, read the whole thread twice now, I think I will get this today.
Hope it gets the support that it deserves from the devs as "the" digital Yu-Gi-Oh game out there, even if some stuff sound questionable and alarming already.

Is the new limited extra monster zone and the idea to extend it with link monster really that bad? Cause on paper, I can see what the thought behind it was and it sounds like a fun idea with the arrows.

It's been a shitshow. The implementation was terrible at the start with Konami assuming everyone would change and get a Link deck if they only released 1 LINK that could be used by older decks

The backlash was massive, and they entered apology mode by releasing a fuck ton of "2 arrows down" links to support decks focused on other mechanics

Then there was the stupid Extra Link mechanic that pretty much meant Links and only links could set up an invincible board....This was so bad the freaking Anime protagonist's main card had to be banned

After all that they finally managed a game where as you point out, Links are fun.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I'd try Hip Hoshiningen, Qliphort Genius, and the Knightmare links

It's been a shitshow. The implementation was terrible at the start with Konami assuming everyone would change and get a Link deck if they only released 1 LINK that could be used by older decks

The backlash was massive, and they entered apology mode by releasing a fuck ton of "2 arrows down" links to support decks focused on other mechanics

Then there was the stupid Extra Link mechanic that pretty much meant Links and only links could set up an invincible board....This was so bad the freaking Anime protagonist's main card had to be banned

After all that they finally managed a game where as you point out, Links are fun.
Will do, any particular packs or challenges to look for them in?

Hage

Mar 15, 2018
I really have to stop saying "talk to the hand" everytime I summon the Dark Magician.

I'm having a blast playing the campaign matches so far, as someone who's been out of Yu-Gi-Oh since 5Ds I'm really intrigued by the newer mechanics.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Edit: seems to happen when there are a lot of cards in play. The slowdown is really bad.

Yeah the slowdown is just downright weird.

Like you think it's frozen, but it's just their turn taking forever.