CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
so many people choosing PvP games, that just raises my stress level haha. For me it would be a game with a big world I can zone out and explore. Something like AC Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, or Mario Odyssey

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FTL, crank the music as loud as humanly possible.

I've been playing the game sporadically for years and still have never beat it, but I just keep coming back

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I turn off my brain by turning on my brain, so visual novels or Toki Tori 2 lately

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash bros. I can just play for one game or 20 online, and I can just do my flow chart troll Mii or projectile characters in elite online while people jump off the level and rage quit.

Playing a healer and getting gold damage and eliminations on Overwatch is another chill way to pass the time. The forced queue for roles was such an obviously bad idea on that game.

Most single player games require me to engage my brain, but I do tend to play difficult games or on the hardest difficulty which can be mentally draining.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Skater XL
NBA2K21

Background music is key here and both these games are perfect w Spotify
That's one thing I very rarely remember to do when I play... listen to music. Probably because I tend to focus on games that have some type of narrative I want to pay attention to, but maybe with games for this topic I need to also add that in. I've got a good Spotify playlist, maybe need to add a shortcut to remind myself to actually USE it, haha.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have this on PC right now and it's definitely another one that can be quite relaxing when you don't focus too much on what to do next. Sometimes that can be hard for me to ignore but last night I was playing and just sorta decided to venture off 'that way' and just see what I could find. In typical fashion I did find something and helped a random lady out and just saw that play out. I really feel I need to explore this world more but always get caught up on my next objective instead.

This is 100% the best way to consume that RDR2, and it rewards that approach in spades. Story missions are like these grand cinematic breaks in my epic open world adventure. I'd do my own thing for 2-10+ hours and then a handful of main missions. Sure, one could rush through the story in 40-50 hours, but even with 100 hours out exploring, you wouldn't, couldn't see everything. The game manages to surprise to this day.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Any of the Doom games 'sides 3. Even Eternal is great if I want to completely focus on the game and shut out the outside world.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Forza Horizon 3 has been great since picking it up before delisting. Having ANNA decide what to do while I'm on non-work zoom calls has been great.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It used to be Starcraft 2 but I'd get super stressed out about losing so I stopped recently. Looking for a game to fill that void now. Typically just been using that time to tackle my backlog

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Fifa and Halo have stayed with me over the years for this reason, I can just turn off my brain. Also, somehow, I'm much better at these games when I'm high, which is likely to be the case in a day like the one OP describes.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Really really started getting into Minecraft with my family who are across the US. We have a shared world of sorts that various family members join onto play at any given time. Just a very relaxing way to catch up with folks.

If I am super stressed I'll play through Sayonara Wild Hearts on arcade mode which is one single run through without pausing.

Destiny 2 used to be, but the changes in the last year just make it stressful with the billion quests I now have.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it in a while, but Left 4 Dead 2 used to be this game for me. It's a mechanically simplistic game that has a great gameplay loop at its core.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Really really started getting into Minecraft with my family who are across the US. We have a shared world of sorts that various family members join onto play at any given time. Just a very relaxing way to catch up with folks.
I really like this idea. I have some family who like to play this game a lot, I might reach out to them and see if they'd be up for doing something like this. Never thought about it but does it require anything to make a persistent world just for those you allow to join and can jump into 24/7? I assume some type of paid realm is needed?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't think of any, other than going over to a friend's house to play about fifty matches of X-Men vs Street Fighter. It's not a "chill" game by any stretch of the imagination, but it helps me unwind. My friend on the other hand tends to have the opposite reaction, so that's usually the reason we stop playing.

Otherwise, if I've had a crazy week, I usually don't turn to video games, because I'm already hard to please in that regard as it is, and having a stressful week normally just leads to a sense of ennui. Games that I'll go back to frequently whenever I honestly can't find anything new to play? Typically it was Diablo 3, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and the Mass Effect trilogy. If I wasn't replaying the random 16-bit RPG anyway. I don't really have any simple, pick up and play casually kind of games. When it comes to just wanting to shut off the voice in my head, and go into potato mode, I'll usually just watch a TV show or movie instead.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I really like this idea. I have some family who like to play this game a lot, I might reach out to them and see if they'd be up for doing something like this. Never thought about it but does it require anything to make a persistent world just for those you allow to join and can jump into 24/7? I assume some type of paid realm is needed?
I THINK you can set up a persistent/server thing, but we just have a family chat and randomly people will type "Minecraft?" and who ever is available will hop on. One person is is usually the most available is the one that "holds" the world so to speak to boot up.

You can set up a server and leave your console on, but Im not quite sure how that works. We havent looked too deep into it.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I THINK you can set up a persistent/server thing, but we just have a family chat and randomly people will type "Minecraft?" and who ever is available will hop on. One person is is usually the most available is the one that "holds" the world so to speak to boot up.

You can set up a server and leave your console on, but Im not quite sure how that works. We havent looked too deep into it.
Ah, so when you play together, do each of you basically have a copy of the game stored locally so whoever wants to play can then load that up and others jump in? That makes sense.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Ah, so when you play together, do each of you basically have a copy of the game stored locally so whoever wants to play can then load that up and others jump in? That makes sense.
There is probably a better way to do it. But regardless of how you do it, everyone working in the same world is great. Sometimes its five people, sometimes its 2. Its neat popping in and seeing new things.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
This is 100% the best way to consume that RDR2, and it rewards that approach in spades. Story missions are like these grand cinematic breaks in my epic open world adventure. I'd do my own thing for 2-10+ hours and then a handful of main missions. Sure, one could rush through the story in 40-50 hours, but even with 100 hours out exploring, you wouldn't, couldn't see everything. The game manages to surprise to this day.
As long as you're not in the middle of an active story quest (where you can't save), is there ever the potential for something to no longer happen because you spent too much time off exploring? I think that's one aspect where I'm concerned I might come back to my camp and something will have changed because I didn't donate enough for a few hours, etc.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apex Legends.

It's so fast and all I can think of while playing is battlefield position, my team's inventory, keeping the high ground, etc etc. Very flow state.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Put something on Youtube and play Tetris.

If I'm slightly more coherent than that, boot up Age of Empires II, one of the big campaign-sized scenarios (Battles of the Forgotten, or some of the custom-made maps), set speed to Slow, and just watch as your base expands, your army grows and eventually your blob just overruns whatever the AI has all over the map.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Just to clarify:
Only one person has the world, we are usually joining into a multiplayer game with at least that person. This is the "easiest" solution, but require that the one person is available to play. We have done stuff where if they are they will just boot up the game and then leave for other to play in the world.

There are definitely ways to set up a server and make a more "persistent world"....no idea how to do that.

EDIT: I also recommend playing on "Survival" if you have a group. Makes it much more fun to dole out jobs to different folks rather than just having everything available immediately. Feels like the world is really "yours" when you are done.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Right now this would be Doom Eternal The Ancient Gods.

Such a good DLC but it has questionable design choices including an insane difficulty spike versus the base game.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
Red Dead Redemption 2/Online. It's an experience that can be whatever you want it to be. From action packed to dumb fun with friends to incredibly serene & contemplative. I just enjoy letting the world happen around me.
It's very relaxing just chilling in wooded areas or by a slow river. The soindscape they've built up is astounding.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Animal Crossing is always my go-to chill game, though the RNG for fishing and bugs drives me nuts sometimes. It often makes a simple Nook Miles+ mission a big pain in the butt and harshes my mellow.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh yeah, how could I forget Stardew Valley. So good.
It used to be Animal Crossing New Horizons but I got pretty burnt out; I don't like my island layout and it's waaaay too much of a slog to reformat/terraform for me to bother.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just to clarify:
Only one person has the world, we are usually joining into a multiplayer game with at least that person. This is the "easiest" solution, but require that the one person is available to play. We have done stuff where if they are they will just boot up the game and then leave for other to play in the world.

There are definitely ways to set up a server and make a more "persistent world"....no idea how to do that.

EDIT: I also recommend playing on "Survival" if you have a group. Makes it much more fun to dole out jobs to different folks rather than just having everything available immediately. Feels like the world is really "yours" when you are done.
Great, this sounds like a really fun way to meet up and play with some family. Always find ways to play with gaming friends but never thought about a cool family game to also enjoy when they're not as into gaming like my friends and I are.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Right now its Genshin Impact. Even after 100 hours and finishing all the quests i just enjoy walking around killing enemies, picking flowers and mining.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
THPS.

Blast that punk rock at max volume, virtually sweat on some sick tricks.

Definitely.
Remastered is a god send it's so good and all the extra challenges give you something to work towards if you want a carrot on a stick.
It might be the first thing I download when I get the PS5 even.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
StarCraft 2 Coop. I know this game can be mentally taxing but coop is very repetitive and easy. Just fun to build a big army and crush things.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly, I go to Rocket League to wind down.

The game is super competitive but it's also almost muscle memory for me at this point, and the matches are short so it's nice.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you're not in the middle of an active story quest (where you can't save), is there ever the potential for something to no longer happen because you spent too much time off exploring? I think that's one aspect where I'm concerned I might come back to my camp and something will have changed because I didn't donate enough for a few hours, etc.

I include the camp in "doing your own thing". It's good idea to stick around as long as things are actively happening, talk to everyone, and return regularly to keep the stories & interactions there flowing. But it's not like a Pathologic 2 where everything is always running on a real-time timer.

Most of it is tied to story progression, so the easiest way to miss that stuff is to burn through the story without spending enough time there. Same goes for a number of camp/character/side missions that are only available up to a certain point in the current chapter, or a until a later chapter.