Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is very enlightening. No wonder some videos I watch could be an hour long with zero ad interruptions but another shorter video has two or three in it.

I'd much prefer if the video maker just does his/her own shilling rather than leaving out to YouTube.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The discussion in the topics like this always ends up the same. People running or representing Intenet sites instantly accuse users with adblockers of stealing from them. The other side accuses the companies of escalating with the ads and not wanting to be presented with long, hard to skip, LOUD, misleading, tracking or potentially dangerous ads through malware and browser hijacking. My take on it is simple - keep the ads civil and manually filter every single one and as long you offer high quality content a lot of people will voluntarily disable adblockers to support you.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
This shit annoyed me so much as a viewer that I disabled all mid-roll ads on my channel, despite them bringing in 90% of the money. It has become unbearable.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why aren't you using adblockers on Youtube?
There are people watching Youtube on mobile, Smart TV, etc. ...

Advertisement mentality is so damn annoying currently. Sometimes, I just wanna walk up to every single person working in the field of advertisement and slap some sense into them. Here's a newsflash for you: if people hate your content so much that they will actively take measures to avoid them like all hell, just maybe you should not try to find new ways to force your stuff down people's throats, but instead make better and more convenient ads that people will not hate! How's that for a marketing strategy, huh.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
If I see tons of little yellow lines on my YouTube app on my phone I won't watch the video

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are people watching Youtube on mobile, Smart TV, etc. ...

Advertisement mentality is so damn annoying currently. Sometimes, I just wanna walk up to every single person working in the field of advertisement and slap some sense into them. Here's a newsflash for you: if people hate your content so much that they will actively take measures to avoid them like all hell, just maybe you should not try to find new ways to force your stuff down people's throats, but instead make better and more convenient ads that people will not hate! How's that for a marketing strategy, huh.

TVs don't have adblockers these days? Granted I only use my TV's remote to switch to the AV Receiver input channel, so I've no idea what they can do these days.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I've noticed this as well. Maybe they're getting greedy and trying to push people to premium. The UI is starting to change on the xbox app though so Im hoping its just a bug in an upcoming site overhaul.

Also noticed they will deem a lot of videos as not advertiser friendly but still they still have ads. Pay the creators assholes.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TVs don't have adblockers these days? Granted I only use my TV's remote to switch to the AV Receiver input channel, so I've no idea what they can do these days.
It's not like on PC where a userfriendly community can just develop a browser plugin that does the job. With smart devices, you are stuck with the apps that are being offered. There you have the official apps that, obviously, will not allow any kind of adblock, or you have free alternatives that more often than not will try to cash a buck themselves and maybe even have additional advertisement separated from Yotube altogether. Someone in this thread has already suggested using Youtube Vanced on Android. But good luck finding that if you are not familiar with some workaround, because it will not show up in the Google Play Store at all and you have to install it via PC altogether. And with Smart TVs, where the app offering is very limited to begin with, it's even harder to find possibilities...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Uh, on mobile just double tap to zkip aheadn10 seconds right before the yellow bar, it skip it entirely and the timelapse registers it as seen.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what's worse. This or the super annoying pop ups trying to get me to upgrade to YouTube premium, which make me want to not ever get YouTube premium

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't mind ads in longer videos, but I hate them on shorter videos. YouTube isn't too bad when it comes to videos under 10 minutes, but Facebook is terrible with this. I'll watch a 2 minute FB video and there'll be a 30 second ad right in the middle of it! I usually close the video as soon as an ad pops up.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
If I watch a TV show and get up to make a drink when the commercials are on am I stealing content?

I am not entirely against the concept of ads. I just hate excessive ads in a single video. I am also not opposed to supporting content creators. One true crime channel was completely demonetized so I support her via Patreon.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People willing to spend a little bit of money on a service they get value out of?

Dont be disingenuous. "Pleb"? Just because you have the extra income to afford a premium service does not mean it's okay to demean others, especially when said service only exists to sucker in those who are too impatient (or incompetent) for AdBlocker.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can usually send the maker money through their Patreon if it bothers you so much.

And I'm sure they all do.

If I watch a TV show and get up to make a drink when the commercials are on am I stealing content?

Does you getting a drink during th adverts reduce the amount of money the people who made the show get?

Dont be disingenuous. "Pleb"? Just because you have the extra income to afford a premium service does not mean it's okay to demean others, especially when said service only exists to sucker in those who are too impatient (or incompetent) for AdBlocker.

Adverts are literally a way for people who don't have extra income to pay the people who make the content they consume. By using an ad-blockers you're opting out of both paying them with actual money as well as paying them via your consumption of an advert. You get everything you want whilst they don't. And you think you're the one being demeaned? Pull the other one.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Adverts are literally a way for people who don't have extra income to pay the people who make the content they consume. By using an ad-blockers you're opting out of both paying them with actual money as well as paying them via your consumption of an advert. You get everything you want whilst they don't. And you think you're the one being demeaned? Pull the other one.

You can easily pay content creators without giving a dime to advertising agencies. Patreon is a great example of this that doesn't rely on the capital of other corporations, but rather individuals. And again, the use of the word "pleb" is beyond demeaning when it comes to not paying one of the richest tech corporations in existence. No one should feel like they are on any sort of pedestal for that.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
All you guys using ad-blockers are just straight up stealing content from the people that made it.
So?

I don't owe content creators on Youtube a living and if they're willing to use intrusive ads, then I'm not going to feel remotely guilty about it. It's not my fault they can't advertise correctly.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realize that was the part you were taking issue with. My apologies.

It's okay. I don't care about people spending their money however they want to, but to put down others who may be struggling just to pay rent/bills/groceries is not the way to go about showing loyalty to a corporation.

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's okay. I don't care about people spending their money however they want to, but to put down others who may be struggling just to pay rent/bills/groceries is not the way to go about showing loyalty to a corporation.
Dude, relax. I said pleb as a joke. I wouldn't pay for YouTube Premium if it wasn't for their family suscription ($15 for a whole year). I'm poor/pleb myself.

EDIT: As a former pre-press technician, I love your avatar/username combo.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dude, relax. I said pleb as a joke. I wouldn't pay for YouTube Premium if it wasn't for their family suscription ($15 for a whole year). I'm poor/pleb myself.

EDIT: As a former pre-press technician, I love your avatar/username combo.

Considering a previous poster said the exact same thing before you, it's hard to discern a difference. There are quite a few people who just don't care for morality when it comes to putting themselves before others. It's nice of you to apologize regardless, outside of the needless "relax".

And thank you! It's the Pantone color I use for all of my personal logos and such.

Oct 27, 2017
I am still more annoyed at them no longer allowing you to listen to things with your screen off when any slight accidental touch of the screen just results in a new video playing and thus another auto play ad. It says everything about the type of user experience they intend. I don't know why anybody would pay to enable that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It seems to be more aggressive lately. Does anyone even watch the ads? Any ad that comes on screen, I'm only watching the countdown timer until I can move on.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Does you getting a drink during th adverts reduce the amount of money the people who made the show get?

It certainly could if the sponsors believe that the show is not worth sponsoring.

Going back to YouTube, if a person is going to base their financial livelihood on a platform that is very easy for users to bypass ads then that creator needs some sort of way to address that. Sure, viewers can watch those ads as a way to support or they can support the creator on Patreon or through merchandise sales. As I wrote before, I am not necessarily opposed to ads but if I see a creator has stuffed too many ads on their videos then I will block that channel and they won't get so much as another view from me. I have no issue with supporting the creators I like but I am not obligated to provide everybody on YouTube with income.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah it's been excessive for a while now. Im still surprised they get away with ads on short videos like movie trailers. Like the trailer is an ad and your making me watch another ad for the ad I want to see? I've had ads that were longer then the video I wanted to watch. On a side note Spotify is getting down right ridiculous with their ads. I get 3 full length ads back to back once in a while. Pro tip don't ever ever ever skip that 30 second video they offer sometimes. If you do you'll get 1-2 minutes of ads non-stop until the music kicks in. Also for no reason whatsoever they sometimes give me the ads in Spanish with no option to keep it English.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
And yet the premium member count rises.
The trick is to strike a balance where it's still just usable enough to get you what you want, but just annoying enough to make people go premium. I wish there was another really popular site that everyone could just switch to. At least if there was decent competition YouTube wouldn't feel like they could get away with their shit.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
For Android, get Blokada from blokada.org... completely free and open source. Default settings are fine (well, maybe deactivate notifications so you won't get a notification for every blocked ad). It's the first thing I install on my phones (and phones from family members).
I have blockada and have still gotten YouTube ads. Hmmm let me poke around a bit.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Guys, this is on the content creator. They are manually placing ads intrusively (and in the case of unskippable ads, are intentionally checking the unskippable box). Instead of ad-blocking everyone, leave a comment on that content creator's videos and stop watching their content.

Just leaving the video doesn't actually send a message, you have to actually leave a comment if you want it to get across.

If I watch a TV show and get up to make a drink when the commercials , are on am I stealing content?
I think the word "stealing" was wrong from the get-go, but the major difference is that on TV the ads are paid for regardless of how many people see them and that is the intent of the content provider, whereas on YouTube the ad does not generate money if it does not start playing. It's not theft, for sure, but there is a tacit understanding there that you're not really following the rules for your own benefit at the expense of the creator and YouTube.

Now of course, you're not required to watch any given channel, especially those who abuse their advertising abilities, so I'm of course only really arguing for the sake of channels you do enjoy who don't provide alternative methods of payment. Either way I'm not really looking to debate, just want to point out that there is a tangible difference between not watching ads on TV and outright preventing YouTube ads from running.

Last edited: