Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I would show Breath of The Wild and tell younger me to keep it, young me would have loved this and also has the time to play it.

Returning to my current timeline I return with the appreciation and respect the game deserves.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
22 yo me would've never guessed the road Naughty Dog was going to take so I'd show me The Last of Us Part II.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would show myself the Elden Ring trailer and say now you have to wait 20 years instead of 5

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Growing up on Crash Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time sorta makes sense, but to be fair. 2004 was Twinsanity which was still a fun time. Maybe 2008 when Crash Tag Team Racing, Crash of the Titans and Mind over Mutant had happened, that would have changed my mind.

I guess Monster Hunter World would be the next option and tell young me to get into the series sooner.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake. I have to let my younger self know that the Remake is coming so that'll help me stay patient.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
2004 one of my peak FFXI years, so I'd probably show off something from FFXIV, let me know to stick with it. FF MMOs survive the rough patches to maintain quality.

Probably also throw in some recent IIDX footage, to show where the franchise goes in a decade and a half, and to not fall off the game post-PS2.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flight Simulator 2020 would be my first choice, I was playing a lot of Flight Simulator 2004 at that time.

But also Forza Horizon 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky if I could show 5.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
We Know the Devil. would be a life changer. A queer anarchist game that pushes back against the bigotry in christianity.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
My first thought too was The Last of Us Part 2 just for the realism, but knowing me being a massive Sonic nerd at the time, I probably would have shown myself Sonic Unleashed or Generations and see my mind explode with Sonic looking that good.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey or Mariokart 8 Deluxe in Handheld Mode. My 8 years old GBA playing 2004 me would lose his mind.

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
If Sonic was in Smash when I was 5 world peace would have been achieved, so i'm bringing back Ultimate to save the planet.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'd show my younger self Dino Crisis remake or Spider-man PS5.

FF7R is also a good one, but I'd be disappointed other than the graphics.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
VRchat. One of the very few games that isn't really a game, it's a life experience.

Younger me would be completely blown away. I mean, some days I'm still blown away by what people make or experiences I have.

DreamRunner

Banned
Sep 14, 2020
"Hey, buddy, here's $1k to invest in that game called Bitcoin in 2009.Don't sell it till 2021.You're welcome."

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think something like current No Man's Sky would blow my freaking mind.

Flying between planets, exploring derelict ships, building ridiculous bases, seemingly infinite wildlife and flora, space battles with freighters and capital ships all in one almost seamless game which is online multiplayer and looks incredible in HDR would just melt my young brain.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
I decided to go back to the 90's when I was playing the first Final Fantasy and first Zelda. I debated between FF7 Remake and BotW but I chose FF7 Remake because the graphical difference.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Absolutely Final Fantasy VII Remake, so that my younger self knows that even though there'll be many tough years ahead as a Final Fantasy fan, the series will return to greatness.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Gu1Zdez.jpg

with the most updated version of the roster ofc.
Yeah, that would have blown my mind. Probably wouldn't have even believed myself.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2. If you'd given 2004 me unlimited resources to make any game I wanted, an open world western would have been pretty much what I'd have gone for. Only without coming close to those visuals and that attention to detail.

Jedi: Fallen Order would have blown me away too. It's like Metroid, only it's in 3D and it's Star Wars 🤯

Jun 17, 2018
Probably Red Dead Redemption 2.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the game, I think that the level of detail and polish on that game is unbelievable at times.

Definitely something 16 year old me would be absolutely floored by.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
My younger self would go fucking nuts if he saw FFVII Remake. Now it's (partly) out, my current cynical self is like "this is not the remake I want", but my younger self would not be like that.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
i'm not sure i can find something my 2004 self would get excited for in today gaming landscape

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
That's a hard choice for just one.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because 2004 version of me would've been blown away by the amount of characters.
  • Half-Life Alyx because seeing a unique VR Half-Life right after playing HL2 would've been something amazing.
  • The Last of Us Part II

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Why 2004 of all years? I can remember being hyped as fuck for San Andreas early that year so maybe .. RDR 2? Or is bringing a Series X with Gamepass included cheating? I guess it it.

GTA V would be cool too but it's quite old being from 2013 now. I was not that young in 2004, was about 18-19 so.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Probably Breath of the Wild. Zelda was always my favorite series, and Breath of the Wild would have been a dream-come-true for even my jaded 2004-self. Plus for all my complaints against it, it's still an awesome game. So it would be a nice thing to do for my younger self.

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be worth bringing back a game I dislike today but would have suited my 2004 tastes just fine? For example, I've got a suspicion that TW3 or RDR2 would have been pretty exciting to me at 18. But by the time they actually released I'd developed pretty strong aversions to a lot of their core design choices.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
I think it would have to be Horizon zero dawn and/or TLOU2, my mind would have exploded.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably Call of Duty Warzone.

I was 'into' online multiplayer games, especially Counterstrike. I think I would be blown away by the squad based 150 player battle royale mechanic. Sure, there are better looking games, but they are all single player.

I wouldn't show myself the sorry state of RTS games in the future though, back then I was enjoying Age of Empires 2 too much.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly struggling to think of anything big. I don't know if, fundamentally, much has changed at all other than graphics. Certain styles of games have gotten more refined or gone in and out of style, but I don't know what gameplay we have today that would've seemed absolutely impossible on a PS2, GameCube, Xbox, or circa-2004 PC.

Honestly I think a much more interesting year to go back to would be 1995 or 96. We were just getting comfortable with 3D games back then so a person into gaming in 1995 might be able to interpret what's being shown to them from a 2021 game, but still be amazed by what will eventually be possible.

For 2004 though, I guess No Man's Sky and Elite would seem really impressive and my 2004 self hadn't heard of Elite. Maybe seeing Breath of the Wild specifically running on a handheld would be dope too.

Edit: I guess third person shooters went through a quantum leap in refinement immediately after 2004 (the basic control concepts of modern TPSs were already there in 2004 they just hadn't been as skillfully put together) but that's about all I can think of that would feel really new.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
2004 is a weird year for me because I was in junior year of college. I feel like it's a toss-up between an indie project (since I was already becoming disenfranchised with a lot of AAA stuff at the time) or something on the Switch running in handheld mode. So let's go with Bastion/Hades or Super Mario Odyssey / Breath of the Wild.

I also think showing Octopath Traveler would elicit squeals of joy.