TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I've always been extremely apprehensive about sharing things I make with other people. There's just this overwhelming feeling that it's not ready yet or it wont be good enough. So last night I decided to just finally get out of my own way and create something completely new just for the sake of putting it out into the ether for people to see.

I've never been good at art, but last night I decided to sit down and start making terrible little three-panel web-comics like the types I usually like reading. I three a couple of the initial attempts up on imgur before I went to sleep and woke up to find one of them had gotten a bit of attention. People seemed to really enjoy it, but more importantly, it just felt extremely good to actually make something and put it out there. And it sort of finally broke me out of a rut I've been in for the better part of a decade now.

I write a lot of short stories and things like that, but almost none of them ever see the light of day. I've always found it therapeutic to write for myself rather than For profit or attention. It would make a terrible business model, but it's a nice way to just unwind and get rid of thoughts that would otherwise be swimming around in my brain without anywhere to go... Now though, I think just this simple little act of putting my poorly-drawn attempt at a comic out there has kind of helped get rid of some of the anxiety I always have about releasing my work. It feels really weird, given that this was a complete spur-of-the-moment sort of thing that was essentially just supposed to be a way to try finding an art style I could actually work with.

Anyway, the point I'm slowly trying to build up to here is that you should take some time to sit down and create something. The medium, style, point, and quality make no difference. Just make something that is entirely your own and share it with someone around you... specifically, share it with us here! I want to see what sorts of thing everyone is able to make when they actually put their mind to it. Set aside your distractions and anxiety for a little while and just throw yourself into the process of making something. It can be great, it can be terrible, just as long as you put time into making it your own, it'll feel good getting it out there.

So to get things started, this was the comic I had done:
lML9DOr_d.jpg

It's simple, poorly realized, and took all of five minutes to come together once I actually sat down and started on it; but I really enjoyed making it and thought it came out good enough to toss out there into the void.

I'd love to see something the rest of you have put some time or effort into. Something your proud of or something your too unsure about to post anywhere else just yet. Think of this as a nice safe place to just sort of test your creations out amongst a community you already know.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I've always been extremely apprehensive about sharing things I make with other people. There's just this overwhelming feeling that it's not ready yet or it wont be good enough. So last night I decided to just finally get out of my own way and create something completely new just for the sake of putting it out into the ether for people to see.

I've never been good at art, but last night I decided to sit down and start making terrible little three-panel web-comics like the types I usually like reading. I three a couple of the initial attempts up on imgur before I went to sleep and woke up to find one of them had gotten a bit of attention. People seemed to really enjoy it, but more importantly, it just felt extremely good to actually make something and put it out there. And it sort of finally broke me out of a rut I've been in for the better part of a decade now.

I write a lot of short stories and things like that, but almost none of them ever see the light of day. I've always found it therapeutic to write for myself rather than For profit or attention. It would make a terrible business model, but it's a nice way to just unwind and get rid of thoughts that would otherwise be swimming around in my brain without anywhere to go... Now though, I think just this simple little act of putting my poorly-drawn attempt at a comic out there has kind of helped get rid of some of the anxiety I always have about releasing my work. It feels really weird, given that this was a complete spur-of-the-moment sort of thing that was essentially just supposed to be a way to try finding an art style I could actually work with.

Anyway, the point I'm slowly trying to build up to here is that you should take some time to sit down and create something. The medium, style, point, and quality make no difference. Just make something that is entirely your own and share it with someone around you... specifically, share it with us here! I want to see what sorts of thing everyone is able to make when they actually put their mind to it. Set aside your distractions and anxiety for a little while and just throw yourself into the process of making something. It can be great, it can be terrible, just as long as you put time into making it your own, it'll feel good getting it out there.

So to get things started, this was the comic I had done:
lML9DOr_d.jpg

It's simple, poorly realized, and took all of five minutes to come together once I actually sat down and started on it; but I really enjoyed making it and thought it came out good enough to toss out there into the void.

I'd love to see something the rest of you have put some time or effort into. Something your proud of or something your too unsure about to post anywhere else just yet. Think of this as a nice safe place to just sort of test your creations out amongst a community you already know.

Thats actually pretty funny!

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I've made a couple simple gifs. It's nice when I see them out in the wild.

By made I mean added text to some pre-existing gifs.

I'm very lazy.
Hey, it counts.

I create services and share them for a salary
I teach, work a second job at night, and do janitorial work on weekends to make ends meet. Sometimes it's just nice to break away from all of that and do something simple instead.

I created an android port of a PS1 game. Does that count?
Totally!
...though now that I said that, what game?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been extremely apprehensive about sharing things I make with other people. There's just this overwhelming feeling that it's not ready yet or it wont be good enough.
I don't have anything to actually share for what will be obvious reasons, but I couldn't help responding to echo this sentiment and mini-rant about it for a moment.
I'm extremely afraid to share something that might be perceived as something I created, because I'm worried about being judged for it or told that it sucks or whatever. Not only do I have a hard time sharing things, but this fear extends to the act of actually creating something. I can't do it, because I start and then immediately start judging myself or being embarrassed about whatever it is, and then never finish it, or I'm too embarrassed to even start because "what if it's bad?" I'm trying to learn an instrument, and generally becoming interested in music composition; and being afraid to actually try to come up with anything on my own (even just a couple of measures, as practice) is a major hurdle. It sucks and I hate it and I'm not sure how to get over myself.
Also, this feeling extends to opinions and I hate when people ask me my favorite band/game/book/anything, and I hate giving my opinion on controversial topics because even though I feel like I'm in the right (generally everyone feels that about themselves) I'm afraid of having to argue it. D:

...Anyway, all you actually-creative people, carry on! Sorry for being a Debbie Downer.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
1QsrbbV.jpg

Well here's a Gravis Captain I finished painting recently. I guess this counts as "making" something?

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
This was one I had been practicing with yesterday. Loaded up an old dark souls file earlier that day for the firs time in five years and realized I had left Frampt just sort of hanging from the ceiling for half a decade...

Sw2SMEb_d.jpg

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've always been extremely apprehensive about sharing things I make with other people. There's just this overwhelming feeling that it's not ready yet or it wont be good enough.
This reminds me of an opinion piece that ran in the NYT last year called In Praise of Mediocrity, which discusses this very thing - the idea that people don't try things anymore because they won't be good enough at them.

But there's a deeper reason, I've come to think, that so many people don't have hobbies: We're afraid of being bad at them. Or rather, we are intimidated by the expectation — itself a hallmark of our intensely public, performative age — that we must actually be skilled at what we do in our free time. Our "hobbies," if that's even the word for them anymore, have become too serious, too demanding, too much an occasion to become anxious about whether you are really the person you claim to be.

If you're a jogger, it is no longer enough to cruise around the block; you're training for the next marathon. If you're a painter, you are no longer passing a pleasant afternoon, just you, your watercolors and your water lilies; you are trying to land a gallery show or at least garner a respectable social media following. When your identity is linked to your hobby — you're a yogi, a surfer, a rock climber — you'd better be good at it, or else who are you?
And the thread title reminds me of a great Vonnegut quote:

"The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."
-Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I don't have anything to actually share for what will be obvious reasons, but I couldn't help responding to echo this sentiment and mini-rant about it for a moment.
I'm extremely afraid to share something that might be perceived as something I created, because I'm worried about being judged for it or told that it sucks or whatever. Not only do I have a hard time sharing things, but this fear extends to the act of actually creating something. I can't do it, because I start and then immediately start judging myself or being embarrassed about whatever it is, and then never finish it, or I'm too embarrassed to even start because "what if it's bad?" I'm trying to learn an instrument, and generally becoming interested in music composition; and being afraid to actually try to come up with anything on my own (even just a couple of measures, as practice) is a major hurdle. It sucks and I hate it and I'm not sure how to get over myself.
Also, this feeling extends to opinions and I hate when people ask me my favorite band/game/book/anything, and I hate giving my opinion on controversial topics because even though I feel like I'm in the right (generally everyone feels that about themselves) I'm afraid of having to argue it. D:

...Anyway, all you actually-creative people, carry on! Sorry for being a Debbie Downer.
Yup, this sounds way, WAY too familiar. I've started on so many projects in the past only to get part way through, decide they'll never be good enough, and just trash the whole thing. It's a really self-destructive side of myself that I've fought with for years and the only thing that's ever really helped me shove my way past it is taking the plunge into making something, putting it out there without giving myself time to second guess it, and just hoping for the best once it's there. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how good that is for actual advice. Just because it works for me doesn't necessarily mean its the right way to approach it. But I'd definitely suggest giving it a shot. Just make something for the sole purpose of Getting feedback on it and go from there.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I'm actually getting ready to launch an 8 part docuseries and accompanying blog on the 4th of July. In fact, we just launched the first part of a promo video on IG https://www.instagram.com/focuseddd_/

Also mine is https://www.instagram.com/legitjakobhunt/

Link to the first part of the promo is https://www.instagram.com/p/By1NY_7Aqm3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

In my life, I have gone from a 9th grade drop out to a Masters degree, lost 210 pounds over a 2 year period going from 390 to 180. Now I'm pretty much level at 190. Working as a telemarketer and in call centers for 19 years to a consultant with one of the most respected businesses in the world. Doing my best to live the dream and overcome all the hardships and mental illness I have faced and to talk about how I changed everything. I want to create a better world with better people. Anyways, thanks for taking a look. It's a bit nerve wracking to be so open. I tend to keep to myself and a very close circle of friends. I feel like it is something I need to do though no matter the fear.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I take photos of musicians and post them on my Instagram account. Here's my portfolio:

https://www.joecortezjr.com/concert-photography

I don't get a lot of attention but I agree with OP's sentiment. It feels good to make something and put it out there. You're sharing a bit of yourself, maybe a side of yourself you weren't aware of.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Great thread OP.

There's a singular joy to making things.

I've been writing short horror stories for some time now. Building up to putting them out on reddit or somewhere.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
OP, check out this book:

It talks exactly about what you mention in the OP.

You don't have to focus on the commercial aspects of the book. Even then it is minimal.

He also has talks online if you want to listen to the thesis.
This reminds me of an opinion piece that ran in the NYT last year called In Praise of Mediocrity, which discusses this very thing - the idea that people don't try things anymore because they won't be good enough at them.

And the thread title reminds me of a great Vonnegut quote:
Thanks, definitely going to put some time into going through these. I've always wanted to get better about this sort of thing, and seeing that there's legitimate, professional discussion out there about the issue makes me feel way better about it being something way more people are effected by than just me. Also yeah, that quote sums up how I've been feeling about this about as perfectly as possible.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I draw some sort of comic (a new picture every weekday) for the web.

First I draw the outlines on a paper (A3) using a pencil. When I'm happy with the result I use a felt pen to fill in the lines. Lots of things can go wrong with this step, and it's not unusual that I have to start over on a new paper.

Then I cut out the areas that I want to colour, which leaves me with something like this (for example).

20190417-200051.jpg

Then I take a new paper, draw the outlines from the first picture and start colouring with pastels.

20190418-155219.jpg

Then I combine the two.

20190418-155332.jpg

And then there's just a text to go with the finished drawing. Something funny, absurd, thoughtful or just silly. For this one it could be something like "His kids loves clowns, but he's in another house."
Y0xgU0h
LEFT]

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I'm an amateur artist doing mostly fan art-
neal-akuma-2018-1.jpg

More of my work can be seen here- https://nealakuma.artstation.com/
I made this song. The last song I may ever make.

First I draw the outlines on a paper (A3) using a pencil. When I'm happy with the result I use a felt pen to fill in the lines. Lots of things can go wrong with this step, and it's not unusual that I have to start over on a new paper.

Then I cut out the areas that I want to colour, which leaves me with something like this (for example).

20190417-200051.jpg

Then I take a new paper, draw the outlines from the first picture and start colouring with pastels.

20190418-155219.jpg

Then I combine the two.

And then there's just a text to go with the finished drawing. Something funny, absurd, thoughtful or just silly. For this one it could be something like "His kids loves clowns, but he's in another house."
Y0xgU0h
LEFT]

The level of talent on display just on the first page of this thread has been astounding. Keep up the great work!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats ElectricBlanketFire !

As for the topic, I used to write poetry/lyrics but my drive for that has more or less died. I have painted some miniatures and tried to make some digital art. I love sharing my stuff even if it's amateur stuff.

Here is a drawing I am quite proud of.

The latest is building up a fantasy setting to GM some Dungeons and Dragons in.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm trying to work on a game with an animator friend of mine, but it's not too far along yet, but I would love to share it as well as various design works as it goes along.

In the meantime though, WHO WOULD WIN

bib-boob.png

OR

gig-ssss.png

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018

20190417-200051.jpg

20190418-155219.jpg

Then I combine the two.

20190418-155332.jpg

Y0xgU0h
LEFT]

I love this.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

I paint miniatures. It's been a while since I shared anything with the relevant threads on here but it's great seeing a lot of the community make it over and then watch it grow over time.