• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be clarified that there is ZERO evidence that Yoshi has ever committed tax fraud.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I really want this game, but I already don't have time right now for so many other new games I've bought... But I also feel like this won't go on sale anytime soon so I may as well... Agh!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so pop my switch into my backpack for the commute into london tomorrow morning - Greggs for a Friday bacon sandwitch then Argos for Yoshi (£5 cheaper than eshop). Sounds like a plan. Not sure if I'm willling to play it on the train home though - stardew valley already makes me a little uneasy what people might be thinking :P

Psh. I play all my switch games as a 27 year old male who travels into London for work.

I'd play New Style Boutique if it comes to Switch.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wait this comes out tomorrow, where's the review thread!?

It's my counter-pick in my league... but still hope its good.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered this on B&H because I had over $50 in credit from a TV purchase, so I got it for less than $10... downside being that they're showing an estimated ship date of May. LOL Sekiro's gonna take me until at least mid-April at the pace I'm going, and I still have Xenoblade Chronicles 3D to finish, so maybe it won't seem so bad a wait after all (and it could ship earlier). But still.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Gave in & getting this at launch. Being able to manually aim feels so good after so long. I'm trying to remember how far I got in Woolly World, it was either the 4th or 5th world's secret level & just couldn't beat it 100% so I stopped & never got around to finishing it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I must be too old for this shit. Even with the explanation I don't find this funny.

Humor's subjective and all, but I agree.

EDIT: I should add that it doesn't help that like any meme, it's been posted about 400,000 times now, so by the 200,000th time, it was already lame. heh

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Who else is looking forward to the inevitable Giant Baby Bowser fight?
I'm actually really hoping that they change it this time around, after putting Baby Bowser in the intro. If after getting all the stones they simply get used to make Baby Bowser big or bring adult Bowser again, it's going to be very disappointing...

But at the same time, they have never done something different with Yoshi, so who knows if they want to risk it anymore... Even Universal Gravitation/Topsy Turvy, a game full of original characters had simply Bowser as the villain.
434793-yoshi-topsy-turvy-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

yoshtop-7.png

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey mine just got delivered apparently. I'm too consumed with Sekiro to start this anytime soon, but it should be a nice fallback/chill game to play eventually.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying this for sure. Need to get my time in on Sekiro and Monster Boy though. My kids will love it.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
I consider this the spiritual sequel to Yoshi's Story.

That's good to hear. Yoshi's Story was the first Yoshi game I played as a kid. I didn't realize till recently that it wasn't as well received as I imagined.

This is the Yoshi's Story 2 that I've always wanted, so I've very excited to get this tomorrow. Will be playing Coop with the wife.

I'm very excited to play through it with my girlfriend. We've been excited to play it together since the announcement trailer.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably going to buy this game with my tax refund hahahaha.

Also DAMN the boss cutscenes are soooo cool looking. Like you see them built and it's very intricate.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this. Loved Woolly World. Not expecting this to be quite as good based on the demo/footage I've seen, but expecting to have a lot of fun :D

resetoeros1

May 30, 2018
I still havent play this but i think the flip thing was more interesting before. Ex:

Though i wouldnt have any partner to play with, it had more purpose doing it at anytime than waiting the end to see the flipside.It rests impression, and to be honest you wont rememeber the whole layout of the level so some behind the scenes stuff wont be notice easily. And in the same video at this timestamp...

...there is a puzzle that plays with the mechanic, it had potencial. But then they streamlined the thing and is all about getting poochies.Shame and if I rememeber correctly i think ive seen that some puzzles that had took benefit of the mechanic have been stripped out. So if anybody whith the game can answer, are there anything that take advantage of the mechanic or is it only style with no substance?[/QUOTE]

PD: if right shame, this could been more interesting beyond its aestetic

Last edited:

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
so pop my switch into my backpack for the commute into london tomorrow morning - Greggs for a Friday bacon sandwitch then Argos for Yoshi (£5 cheaper than eshop). Sounds like a plan. Not sure if I'm willling to play it on the train home though - stardew valley already makes me a little uneasy what people might be thinking :P

In a world where grown men were playing candy crush on mobile in public I really wouldn't worry.

I am a London boy and my switch is out on the train practically every day. It's always cool seeing other switch gamers.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Potentially my favourite OT ever, so charming! Great job Muzy and The Poochy Kid fantastic job. My family are so excited for this. I've gone digital so my 4 year old can fire it up whenever he wants (So long as he is ready for nursery and it's not tea time) cos he struggles with the cartridges and this game will get replayed to death. Can't wait for 2 hours to pass and the game to finally unlock.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Since my review is in Dutch so most of you can't read it (if you are Dutch and want to read it its here), I'll write some impressions for the OT, if anyone's interested.

I really like the game. The first few hours I was pretty dissapointed - I'm a big platformer fan so I've played a lot of platformers and it all felt pretty standard. Also, the early footage had me believing you could switch the camera to the backside of the level at any time. Its maybe my fault I expected this, or you could say its also on Nintendo's communication. I'd imagine that if this was possible, it would open up a whole slew of cool puzzles.

At is is, the platforming itself is pretty standard. I don't really care for going in levels again to play the 'backside', which is basically just collecting three hidden Poochies. I've done it with all the levels, but its not very original content. Don't even get me started at the optional fetch quests - throw eggs at five seagulls in this level, for example.

However, after playing for some hours I started to appreciate the volume and diversity of the levels. There are really a lot of levels and the further you get in the game, the more original they get imo. There's some really cool stuff there - like a ghost house thats pretty original in what it does, or a level where you commandeer a boat and its canons, or a level consisting out of paper made animals. The game just keeps on giving and I appreaciate that.

Which brings me to the graphics and art, its a really, really cute and good looking game. The concept of everything in this world excisting as crafting material is really nicely done and it even flows over in the gameplay.

So I'm definitely on the higher end of the reviews - I gave the game an 8 - and I've enjoyed myself immensely. However, I do think that in a few months time I've forgotten most of the experience again. Its quality stuff, and the diversity in levels is commentable, but in the end the game isn't unique enough within the genre, even more so when you take in consideration how many platformers there are on the Switch. But I liked it, no doubt. Oh, and cool bosses imo.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Already had this since yesterday (thank you Simply Games) and am absolutely loving the game so far. After the first few levels it does seem that Good-Feel games are at the top of their craft. Kirby's Epic Yarn was the first game that I really played with my kids and thinking of it always gives me a warm feeling. Yoshi's Crafted World is giving me those same feelings.

I have seen some criticism of the music elsewhere (mostly on GameXplain) but I can't say that I really understand this. To my ears, at least, the music is great and easily on a parity with the stunning visuals.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already had this since yesterday (thank you Simply Games) and am absolutely loving the game so far. After the first few levels it does seem that Good-Feel games are at the top of their craft. Kirby's Epic Yarn was the first game that I really played with my kids and thinking of it always gives me a warm feeling. Yoshi's Crafted World is giving me those same feelings.

I have seen some criticism of the music elsewhere (mostly on GameXplain) but I can't say that I really understand this. To my ears, at least, the music is great and easily on a parity with the stunning visuals.
Did you play the demo by any chance? Does the full game look as "soft" as the demo (especially handheld mode)?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Did you play the demo by any chance? Does the full game look as "soft" as the demo (especially handheld mode)?

I've played the demo and the final build. The final build of the game is definitely sub-1080p (far below it, I pixel counted myself) so it's something I'll be covering in an analysis of the game soon.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this! I'm assuming it will unlock at 9PM PST tonight. Great OP, though these tax fraud jokes need to stop.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
There are really a lot of levels and the further you get in the game, the more original they get imo.

It starts off very vanilla, even disappointingly so, but the levels start to get more sophisticated and devilish. I'm having fun with it, when I'm not (still) glued to Sekiro, which is often.

My only real complaint about the game is the music. I know a lot of people are lukewarm on it, but having been playing the game since yesterday, it really does hammer home how important music is to this style of game. It desperately needs some swing, spirit, and variety. They doubled down super-hard on the sugary laid-back out-of-tune kids' school concert thing, practically every level I've played features music in a similar style. I get it, it's supposed to be goofy and carefree, but they overdo it to the point where charm becomes charmless and de-evolves into straight up cloying. I can list so many games of this type with great, diverse soundtracks- Woolly World included. The music choices hurt the game more than I thought it would.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England

I don't often play demos when I know that I am already all in so can't compare. My only experience with the demo was watching Kyle Bosman play the first level. Can't offer an opinion on handheld yet because visually splendid games like this I only normally play on the TV.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I still havent play this but i think the flip thing was more interesting before. Ex:

Though i wouldnt have any partner to play with, it had more purpose doing it at anytime than waiting the end to see the flipside.It rests impression, and to be honest you wont rememeber the whole layout of the level so some behind the scenes stuff wont be notice easily. And in the same video at this timestamp...

...there is a puzzle that plays with the mechanic, it had potencial. But then they streamlined the thing and is all about getting poochies.Shame and if I rememeber correctly i think ive seen that some puzzles that had took benefit of the mechanic have been stripped out. So if anybody whith the game can answer, are there anything that take advantage of the mechanic or is it only style with no substance?

Due to the poochies task having an optional time limit, you barely notice anything being that different when you play the flip side because you're rushing through the level to find the dogs in time (if you want to beat the time limit, that is).

Obviously the layout for some of the flipped-over levels have changed a little, but it's not as full of many neat little things or puzzles that I originally expected.

Oct 25, 2017
It starts off very vanilla, even disappointingly so, but the levels start to get more sophisticated and devilish. I'm having fun with it, when I'm not (still) glued to Sekiro, which is often.

My only real complaint about the game is the music. I know a lot of people are lukewarm on it, but having been playing the game since yesterday, it really does hammer home how important music is to this style of game. It desperately needs some swing, spirit, and variety. They doubled down super-hard on the sugary laid-back out-of-tune kids' school concert thing, practically every level I've played features music in a similar style. I get it, it's supposed to be goofy and carefree, but they overdo it to the point where charm becomes charmless and de-evolves into straight up cloying. I can list so many games of this type with great, diverse soundtracks- Woolly World included. The music choices hurt the game more than I thought it would.
So who is the composer to this game since the Wooly World composer didn't return?

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I usually binge games, but I'm going to deliberately be taking this game very slow. It's a shame this likely won't live to Woolly World, but Good Feel has still treated the series well compared to Arzest.

Oct 25, 2017
In the absence of a federal indictment I will continue to think of this as World of Yoshicraft, but what a wonderful title image for the OT.

Very excited to get in on this. I replayed Yoshi's Woolly World last week to tidy up my old file from three years ago to a full 100%, and was struck by how much Yoshi platforming design, at its best, harmonizes with the kind of ideas I like to play with in Super Mario Maker: nothing too fast or twitchy, but all about exploring the levels attentively and overcoming light traversal puzzles with enemy manipulation and other special mechanics. I've always considered YWW to be Yoshi's DKC Returns moment (and arguably enjoyed it more than DKCR), and Crafted World has humongous boots to fill.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great OP! Only question is why is the face of the Yoshi amibo in the slick OP diorama covered up with paper and a scribbled smiley face?

Anyways getting the game tomorrow, can't wait. Have my copy on reserve with a local mom and pop game/movie store which sells their initial batches of new retail games for $49.99 so will be getting a great deal on it too. Am also currently in the middle of completing World 6 on Woolly World and plan on having that done in between playing Crafted World so will be a double rush of Yoshi goodness for me this weekend. :D