• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Y'all need to pump the brakes on this hate train. The game was 95% genius 5% jank. I can forgive that 5% for how damn good the rest was. Everyone in here hating on the changes seriously needs to watch Easy Alies spoiler mode with Maximillion Dood. There are some real interesting details most people won't pick up on and I'm excited to see what comes with part two and on.
I watched that spoiler mode and it doesn't do anything to people who already hate the changes. You either like it or you do not. Also a large portion of the hate is because of what it means for the rest of the remake series, precisely because what came before it was so good.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all need to pump the brakes on this hate train. The game was 95% genius 5% jank. I can forgive that 5% for how damn good the rest was. Everyone in here hating on the changes seriously needs to watch Easy Alies spoiler mode with Maximillion Dood. There are some real interesting details most people won't pick up on and I'm excited to see what comes with part two and on.
We had a poll showing most people actually like the direction the game is going. It just doesn't seem like it because the people angry are posting more than the people who are enjoying it.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
Remake was amazing and so was the ending. The story could go anywhere now, and I can't wait to see how it all pans out.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As I've said before, people in this thread should wait for the sequel before freaking out.
You'll always have the original, if anything else.

About the World Map, I'm betting they'll pull a FFVIII with the car, with a road and lock the party on it and call it a day.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Remake was amazing and so was the ending. The story could go anywhere now, and I can't wait to see how it all pans out.
I think they could have gone anywhere anyway, and just have a loose adaption without some magical plot device. I'd still think about how the quality of the new story compares.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

What reassures me is that Remake cleary shows that they know how to balance faithfulness to new stuff, and I believe they'll follow the same for the next parts, so even that if I'll end up disappointed by the new story, I'll still have a lot of stuff to enjoy.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
They probably will. They can use Reborn and eventually Reunion for the next 2 parts.

At this point they could just call it VII-2 since the characters are trying to stop the 'bad ending' from the original. It probably sounds more exciting than another subtitle.

Yeah I also think they will. They really have to at this point. They used Remake to swerve people, I don't agree with it but it was effective. From this point on just call it FF7-2 or whatever weird name they come up with.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Just finished the game and I loved it. Love the direction they're going. I didn't play the OG FF7 when it came out. I played through the OG FF7 for the first time, Crisis Core and now FF7R in the past 2 months and I'm so glad that FF7R is more like a continuation of the story instead of a straight up remake.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like your names, but I think they might be too homologous and reunion might not work since the Jenova Reunion probably won't as important this time, since they're coming up with a new story.

Final Fantasy VII: Rejection, then. After all, they're rejecting the possibility of telling a good story. ;)

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some aren't even ommited but changed completely.

Elliot's entire story is different.
Ben is never killed by Mr.X.
Ada's cover is never about the FBI.
Mr.X is never killed by Birkin.
The entire labatory, doctors and it's files are different.

There are a lot more but these is what's on the top of my head. If we only take REmake 2's story as canon then entire games can't work anymore like Outbreak FIle 2 or RE0.
Those are minor details, not Key plot points to the overall story.

Sherry is still infected with the G-Virus.
Birkin is dead.
Leon, Ada, Claire and Sherry escaped Raccoon.

But this isn't a thread about REmake 2 so i will just drop it right here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Those are minor details, not Key plot points to the overall story.

Sherry is still infected with the G-Virus.
Birkin is dead.
Leon, Ada, Claire and Sherry escaped Raccoon.

But this isn't a thread about REmake 2 so i will just drop it right here.
While the key points do stay the same, many games connect with those small details so the canon breaks if we only count REmake 2.

So calling it a faithful remake is really not true.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Great ending, looking forward to the next a lot. Poll shows most people liked it too. Some people seem to be unable to let it go with the way they like to tell everyone how absolutely awful it is.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
If going by the idea that they were in a singularity, the reason it didn't effect them because they were actually outside of time. Their histories didn't change directly. Other people did. What this means is that any time they had to intervene would be undone. But that doesn't mean everyone survives. They could have died in other manners without intervention. Wedge and jessie could have survived the scenes we saw them in but have been injured or died in other ways. I think this is a fascinating take on the story and it is no longer the FFVII we new. This is like some alternate reality type stuff. I think it is a fun idea for a fantasy game.

For one thing, their histories involve other people. Jessie, Biggs, Wedge, Hojo, and a bunch of other people the Whispers interfered with were not in the singularity.

And if you suggest that it's some kind of knock-on effect where being in the singularity protected them and all the people they met from changes, I think that's a convoluted explanation, and I think it's more likely the devs simply didn't think it that far through.

Nov 23, 2017
After platinuming the game, I loved the ending even more the second time around. I'm thrilled the poll results reflect this and I'm indebted to Nomura forever for letting me relive the best part of my childhood.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That spoiler mode hyped me so much that I've decided to buy the og FF7 (lucky me, it's on sale on PSN right now!) and play it for the first time.

Jun 22, 2019
Just learning of this twist now, I feel like I'm in a fucking weird dream because of how unbelievably stupid it is to inject time travel and vague dumb-ass Kingdom Hearts-esque "destiny beings" into a video game remake to "remake" the events of the original game.

I'm fucking dissociating over here, JFC.

Like this is legitimately the exact same feeling I have when I'm asleep and realize I'm in a dream, lol.

Edit: Now I'm imagining every single game remake using this same terrible idea that feels like it came from a 13 year old who got high for the first time.
"What if we were to remake Shadow of the Colossus but near the end we actually fight the beings that control destiny to revive all the colussi and create a dimension where we prevent our lover from dying in the first place woaaaaah man!"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of the most disappointing endings I've seen in a video game. Straight out of a fan fiction from someone who thought the original was "too sad".

Too bad. It was like a turd nugget on top of a very tasty cake.

Oct 25, 2017
What a fantastic ending it was. I can't believe how excited I am for part 2, far more than even I would have been had it been a straight remake.

Great remake elevated by an ending that makes me feel like I'm wandering into an unknown, which is not something I thought I would feel with Remake of all titles.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just learning of this twist now, I feel like I'm in a fucking weird dream because of how unbelievably stupid it is to inject time travel and vague dumb-ass Kingdom Hearts-esque "destiny beings" into a video game remake to "remake" the events of the original game.

Like this is legitimately the exact same feeling I have when I'm asleep and realize I'm in a dream, lol.

Edit: Now I'm imagining every single game remake using this same terrible idea that feels like it came from a 13 year old who got high for the first time.
"What if we were to remake Shadow of the Colossus but near the end we actually fight the beings that control destiny to revive all the colussi and create a dimension where we prevent our lover from dying in the first place woaaaaah man!"

Thankfully there are actual remakes, because SOTC deserved a real remake, even though it's a younger and less popular game than FF7. The community are doing it's best at helping the old FF7 with mods and neural network AI.

I31JcRQ.jpg

MHzCB1F.jpg

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017

Hey guys, I just heard about something and my immediate knee-jerk reaction is that I hate it! Thought I would pop in and let everyone know.

Jun 22, 2019
Hey guys, I just heard about something and my immediate knee-jerk reaction is that I hate it! Thought I would pop in and let everyone know.

I'm blown away by the sheer stupidity of it.
Fighting vague beings that control the strings of fate which allow whatever the writer whims at any moment is the stupidest fucking shit imaginable. It's the most lazy uncreative drivel. It's soooooo bad and I'm laughing sooooo hard at it now that the dream-like disassociation has passed. I can't get over how dumb it is! I've been saying satire is dead for years, yet I'm still amazed at how much that sentiment seems to permeate every layer of life. Regardless, I'll keep on laughing about the direction they took with the remake ('whisper' beings that control fate in a vague-as-fuck way) for a loooong time, rest assured.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Great ending, looking forward to the next a lot. Poll shows most people liked it too. Some people seem to be unable to let it go with the way they like to tell everyone how absolutely awful it is.

Most hate it but more are neutral about it on the internet. I have never seen any majority say they loved the ending... that's clearly the minority here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You're assuming way too much about what's going to happen next, and I can almost guarantee you're wrong. Why? Because the whole "Destiny" plot relied on the ghosts, which you just killed. From this point on the story is going to proceed in a straightforward, albeit embellished and altered way.

Maybe it didn't need the meta plot to justify the future changes, but it happened and it's resolved.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're assuming way too much about what's going to happen next, and I can almost guarantee you're wrong. Why? Because the whole "Destiny" plot relied on the ghosts, which you just killed. From this point on the story is going to proceed in a straightforward, albeit embellished and altered way.

Maybe it didn't need the meta plot to justify the future changes, but it happened and it's resolved.

Sraightforward when multiple timelines has been introduced?

Whatever it is in the future, is not going to be straighforward.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
From a business sense, I don't think it's wise to drop "Remake" out of the title for part 2.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sraightforward when multiple timelines has been introduced?

Whatever it is in the future, is not going to be straighforward.

multiple timelines haven't not been introduced. There is one timeline and it got altered. The other 'timeline' is the original game and it no longer has any bearing on this one.

What I'm trying to say is that we are not going to have to juggle timelines.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm blown away by the sheer stupidity of it.
Fighting vague beings that control the strings of fate which allow whatever the writer whims at any moment is the stupidest fucking shit imaginable. It's the most lazy uncreative drivel. It's soooooo bad and I'm laughing sooooo hard at it now that the dream-like disassociation has passed. I can't get over how dumb it is! I've been saying satire is dead for years, yet I'm still amazed at how much that sentiment seems to permeate every layer of life. Regardless, I'll keep on laughing about the direction they took with the remake ('whisper' beings that control fate in a vague-as-fuck way) for a loooong time, rest assured.

Thank you for this. It's exactly how I feel. (There are dozens of us!!.gif!).

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
multiple timelines haven't not been introduced. There is one timeline and it got altered. The other 'timeline' is the original game and it no longer has any bearing on this one.

Now that the whispers don't exist there are basically multiple (infinite) timelines.

The Zack were lives is one.

The other is the one where the party belongs which may be or not the same one as the one were Zack lives

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
What reassures me is that Remake cleary shows that they know how to balance faithfulness to new stuff, and I believe they'll follow the same for the next parts, so even that if I'll end up disappointed by the new story, I'll still have a lot of stuff to enjoy.

Agreed. The characterizations are what make FF7 special, not the plot. The plot's been kind of dumb from the beginning.

I don't see alot of people LOVING the ending but people don't dislike it. Most are just think "oh thats neat I hope they don't fuck it up though." People who hate it love to say how much they hate it though. Reminds me all too much of The Last Jedi.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Now that the whispers don't exist there are basically multiple (infinite) timelines.

The other is the one where the party belongs which may be or not the same one as the one were Zack lives

You're way overcomplicating what was shown.

It showed Zack living. That is just a flashback to an event that already happened. And instead of him dying, he lived (probably to be scooped up by Hojo to play a later nega-Cloud role). As far as this game is concerned, him dying never happened and will have no bearing on the story. Aerith didn't say what happened to him. There is no contradiction.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It showed Zack living. That is just a flashback to an event that already happened. And instead of him dying, he lived (probably to be scooped up by Hojo to play a later nega-Cloud role). As far as this game is concerned, him dying never happened and will have no bearing on the story. Aerith didn't say what happened to him. There is no contradiction.

But if he never died, how Cloud got his sword and personality?

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
But they won't since the name 'Remake' associated with FF7 prints lots of money. That's the reason. Also the reason they didn't call the first part "Part 1"

I don't agree. I think the words "Final Fantasy" with Cloud on the cover is what prints money.

Not including Part 1 was definitely for money reasons.

Jun 22, 2019
You're assuming way too much about what's going to happen next

Nah so far I'm only losing my shit solely based on what's in this entry. Any future additional dumb shit can wait (and I'm sure there will be plenty). Injecting nebulous abstract creatively-bankrupt beings that control 'fate' (lol) into your remake so you can screw around with a different timeline (or multiple timelines) and revive dead characters is just... well, it's hilarious. I actually kinda love it ironically from that metatextual perspective that's present when you just don't give two shits about your story or characters. Very guts-y for them to pull this as a twist under the guise of a filler-infueled remake too. It's still unbelievably stupid and destroys any semblance of a gripping narrative, but at least it's incredibly amusing, so that's something.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Time travel is messy, and you should have a license, or masters degree in time travel to mess with it. I doubt we're done with the effects of it, I expect Lightning to show up to see what happened.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017

Different Stamp sort of lends to the idea of another timeline. Also Zack dying is a defining moment that makes Cloud who he is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The characterizations are what make FF7 special, not the plot. The plot's been kind of dumb from the beginning.

I don't see alot of people LOVING the ending but people don't dislike it. Most are just think "oh thats neat I hope they don't fuck it up though." People who hate it love to say how much they hate it though. Reminds me all too much of The Last Jedi.

The funny thing to me is, I was on board with the Last Jedi's stuff because a deconstruction of Star Wars is kinda necessary after all this time.

This just feels like a bunch of cowards who want to contrive an excuse for everyone to live because it's sad that Aeris and Zack died seizing control of the narrative.