EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's incredibly obvious that people still have incredible misconceptions about motion controls and even going back to "waggle" people would still be wrong saying they have to "flail their arms around." It's pretty much always been smaller movements for aiming for the last 15 years and it's only gotten better and more accurate. It doesn't hurt your wrists any worse than trying to use a mouse and keyboard.

The reality is people are bad at it and they'd rather blame the "implementation" than actually learn something.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This is such a strange take. I can't aim for shit with gyro on Switch, no matter the implementation. It didn't work in Zelda or Splatoon, traditional analogue is the only correct option for me.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that games like Splatoon are wonderful with it, but it does require that I be far less 'relaxed' when playing than most other games. When you really get into the matches, there's nothing like it, but my friend and I always had to warm up to the game in the shooting area before we could play matches.

I've played BoTW for 20 hours, and hated fighting against the gyro for literally all of it. I wish all developers include it in their future games for those people that want it. I however will quickly disable it in all games that have it as default.

If you think that's not a reasonable stance, then something's quite wrong with you.

I'm not saying this will be the case for everybody, but a close friend had the same experience. He turned it off after a bit as he just couldn't deal with it. He never did finish BotW, and after some time came back to the game, but this time for whatever reason Gyro really clicked.

BotW's implementation is one of my favorites, easily. And I mean the aiming, not the god awful shrine usage of it.

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Firstly, shut the hell up. Secondly, I remember reading up on flick stick and thinking it sounded like a good idea but can't be bothered to remember what it is right now. Thirdly, "gyro" aiming is how you aim anything in real life so it's obviously 'archaic' but that's simply how things work, mechanically, in the real world.

edit: I'm sorry I flew off the handle there in the beginning

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It soured most of the public opinion on all motion controls. VR managed to breathe a bit of life back into them.
Definitely. I don't even dislike motion controls, it's really just aiming that I cannot get on with, but I think shoddy implimentation from Wii onward will definitely leave an impression.

There's good implimentation out there, even with aiming, but I think most people immediately think of the bad experiences they've had with it and would prefer to not repeat them.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

I though about bringing DUDE's "how to be good" series here to show the handcam and forgot, so thanks for bringing this in!

I'd like to bring the other extreme, since the "waggle perception" seemed to show up: Splat Roller aiming. It's a weapon that requires more vigorous aim movement that a shooter weapon due to build-up time, context, how it's used in duels etc.

I timestamped a sequence here:

Watching until the end of the round is fine, takes 20 seconds. Check the gameplay footage, then go back and watch his hands.
I can understand people getting bothered by such large movements, even if it's an extreme case. He could use the stick to supplement that a bit, but wouldn't be as precise.
And he's using his arms, not only his wrists (as you should when playing with a mouse, too), so the stress on them isn't intense.

But just as you don't frequently need to snap aim backward with a controller, the same would be true when complemented by gyro aiming.
If you go the "ADS only" route (which would already make me very happy if it became commonplace), it's even less movement involved. This one is absolutely sofa-compatible (could DUDE play like that laying down in a sofa? Who knows).

Of course it depends on the sens you use, but that's to be expected since the gyro is a mouse.

And there's one solution to keep gyro and avoid larger limb movements: flick stick. But that's a more distant console dream.

What's an easy way of testing gyro controls? I've got a Switch (but I own almost no games on it), and I've got a DS4 controller I can use on PC. Any free Switch game I could try it with, or is there a super quick way to test it on PC using a DS4?

I have a feeling I'd prefer mouse or analog sticks, but I haven't ever tried gyro controls for aiming and I wouldn't mind trying.

Rogue Company is F2P on all platforms and has gyro controls on Playstation, Switch and PC, if you want to try a native implementation.
I recommend turning off the aim assist too. Then just go mess around a bit in the practice range to get that initial feel and tweak settings.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii has done irreparable damage to the image(and advancement) of gyro controls in gaming.

We will be stuck with twin sticks for another decade or two.
Wii was fine and technically totally different. If "Hardcore Gamers TM" can't wrap their heads around the idea, that new controls can work even better, just because they are so narrow minded to think everything is automatically "casual" it is their fault, not that of the Wii.

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii has done irreparable damage to the image(and advancement) of gyro controls in gaming.

I'm not sure why you have this dismissive view; the amount of gyro controls now are far more plentiful than the Wii era, with implementations in modern consoles, the Switch, mobile gaming being a massive market with many games having gyro controls, the growing prominence of VR, and ample AR tech usage.

Although there is likely a small segment of people with little exposure to gyro controls outside of the Wii, it's being wilfully ignorant to try to assume that the people disliking it are coloured by consoles which came out 13 years ago, when gyro inputs are far more common now than ever, especially on a board like this where people are likely to be more passionate/informed about developments in the industry than the population at large.

It's silly to assume disliking the tech is to do with outdated implementations rather than how it is currently used in a variety of applications.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Sticks or M&KB for me. No way I want to move my hands around while using a controller. It's that simple and it's all a matter of preference, I don't care if it's better.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Forced analogue stick controls have never ever gotten this kind of reaction though and they probably should.
Analog sticks were an evolution from using a DPad. Using your thumbs to move and aim. Forced motion controls completely change how you interact with a game.

Like in BOTW where I had to essentially completely change how I was sitting to just get them to work right.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I miss it whenever it's not in games. Playing through Ghost of Tsushima right now, and I miss it every time I pull out the bow. Actively makes me not use the bow as frequently as I otherwise would.

Daccus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming seems like the path of least resistance of incorporating motion without any kind of radical controller redesign or additional peripherals.

It should be the case that a game like Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal enables its use on the PS4/5 controllers which already have a gyroscope, especially when (a) gyro aiming exists for these games on their Switch ports, so the developers seem onboard with implementing it and (b) that same controller can be used to gyro aim with Steam input with those exact same games... and every PC game that has aiming ever, except it requires workarounds since the X-input API doesn't have gyro by default. Additionally we have patches for games like TLOUII which enable it in conjunction with twin sticks, the same game which is rightfully praised for its multitude of accessibility options. It seems like it is more of a case of player demand on this platform than any inherent difficulty implementing it.

There's a balance between "accuracy" and comfort/convenience. I'm most accurate with keyboard and mouse but don't necessarily want to use it when playing console games at anywhere other than a desk (also doesn't really work with handheld gaming). The Wii's IR sensor was pretty accurate but required more precision, which isn't something I want to deal with in every game that requires aiming. Gyro + twin sticks strikes that balance for me, where I can change the reference point of the crosshair with wide sweeps on the thumbstick and fine-tune with motion. Imo it's another tool that is up to the developer to enhance the experience, I don't think every single implementation of it is the bee's knees but it's one of the multitude of control options (aside from general X/Y axis flipping or stick sensitivity) that should be left up to the player to adjust to fit their own experience. I won't discard twin stick as a control scheme just because it is awkward in a few games, I played Destiny 2 just fine with it, and I wouldn't throw gyro in the trash because of some poor implementations when I've already experienced how it can benefit a game.

(Speaking of which.... Crysis Remastered is on sale for Switch, and I'm wondering how the gyro aiming for that is lol)

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it result it wrist pain with prolonged use? Lol
No more than triggers resulting in joint pain with prolonged use. As in, literally, five hours playing Rocket League two days ago left a dull pain in my fingers (middle and pointer) for the rest of the night. Actually, when I used to play Splatoon a TON I always ended up having joint pain in my fingers loooong before any wrist pain.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Although there is likely a small segment of people with little exposure to gyro controls outside of the Wii, it's being wilfully ignorant to try to assume that the people disliking it are coloured by consoles which came out 13 years ago, when gyro inputs are far more common now than ever, especially on a board like this where people are likely to be more passionate/informed about developments in the industry than the population at large.

It's silly to assume disliking the tech is to do with outdated implementations rather than how it is currently used in a variety of applications.

Some of whom I've quoted are exactly the type of people you're describing, and also remember there's a whole generation that might have grown up from childhood playing the Wii. That's what they'll most likely think back to when the topic comes up.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The funny thing is, despite the amount of negative responses here I think everyone that likes gyro had the same initial struggles to get used to it, then a game came along that showed people that it actually works better than twin sticks.

For me that game was Splatoon 2. When a AAA game adopts gyro aiming and users are forced to get used to it at least some will get over the learning curve and realise its a better aiming option.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Sticks or M&KB for me. No way I want to move my hands around while using a controller. It's that simple and it's all a matter of preference, I don't care if it's better.

I barely move my hands when playing motion controls. It's all wrist's movement. I have over 500 hours in Splatoon 2 and 85% of it was me lying on the couch.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of whom I've quoted are exactly the type of people you're describing, and also remember there's a whole generation that might have grown up from childhood playing the Wii. That's what they'll most likely think back to when the topic comes up.
I don't see a single mention of the Wii in any of the posts you've quoted, or about the opinion stemming from outdated technology (except the note about 2015, where it was widely implemented in that gen)? Again, that's an assumption you're making based solely on the dislike of it which is ignorant to assume when it is incredibly prominent now.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The funny thing is, despite the amount of negative responses here I think everyone that likes gyro had the same initial struggles to get used to it, then a game came along that showed people that it actually works better than twin sticks.

For me that game was Splatoon 2. When a AAA game adopts gyro aiming and users are forced to get used to it at least some will get over the learning curve and realise its a better aiming option.

Not me, honestly. I got motion controls with the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Got to the point that I never locked on enemies to used the bow, turning it to my least liked weapon in 3D Zelda to my most used. Same with the Hook Claw.

It was duel sticks that I could never get.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? You diagnosed my dislike of gyro as a consequence of the 15 year old Wii based on 8 words o.O?

I should add that I'm happy for y'all to have the option of playing with gyro. I was just responding in kind to the annoyingly aggressive OP / the weird proselytizing that accompanies a lot of the gyro threads.

Oct 25, 2017
Analogue stick controls are industry standard in the console space. It's not something that was introduced alongside gyro.
On an industry-wide level of course it's easy to see why analogue only doesn't cause a stir. I just find it silly when an individuals argue that there always needs to be options and options is the gold standard but only when it's their preferred control scheme on the chopping block. Which is virtually never.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

You know what it is for me, it's not so much the Wii (I didn't even own one) as it is I just like to kind of chill and relax while playing and when using gyro I feel like I gotta stay oriented, like if I recline or lay down it throws it off kind of, like I gotta keep the controller aligned with the TV. It just ends up feeling like I have to focus more.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All gyro I have tried is not enjoyable to me. I just really dislike how it feels. I do wish it was more widely used for people who like it.

I do dislike the shit in the op about time to accept it, you are just to ignorant or lazy bs.

I don't care if it's superior or not. It has nothing to do to my unwillingness or whatever. How I play games and gyro just doesn't match.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know what it is for me, it's not so much the Wii (I didn't even own one) as it is I just like to kind of chill and relax while playing and when using gyro I feel like I gotta stay oriented, like if I recline or lay down it throws it off kind of, like I gotta keep the controller aligned with the TV. It just ends up feeling like I have to focus more.
This is it for me too. And whenever I end up using like full controller gyro it just feels super wrong in my arms and wrists. If you play competitive games or sit at a desk upright than I could see the benefit, but I sit in this big ol' chair, leaned back, controller in lap and often a cat on my chest etc. Gyro just doesn't work lol.

If I cared about the superior option for precision and stuff I would just use a keyboard and mouse.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

This isn't true, unless the game has bad motion controls. I played Spatoon 1 and 2, Breath of the Wild, Warframe, and DOOM 2016 lying on the couch. It's in the wrist, not the hands. You don't even have to align with the TV.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
On an industry-wide level of course it's easy to see why analogue only doesn't cause a stir. I just find it silly when an individuals argue that there always needs to be options and options is the gold standard but only when it's their preferred control scheme on the chopping block. Which is virtually never.
You want people to advocate for a control scheme that's worse than what they prefer?

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
It's really just that I don't like it and I don't care. Cool if developers implement support for this more often, but I personally won't care since for me console gaming is all about wanting to move as little as possible. (And not even mentioning the fact I've been playing console games via mobile streaming much more often than with the tv.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This isn't true, unless the game has bad motion controls. I played Spatoon 1 and 2, Breath of the Wild, Warframe, and DOOM 2016 lying on the couch. It's in the wrist, not the hands. You don't even have to align with the TV.
I dunno then I guess I will just have to remain wrong about how I like to play games
The reality is people are bad at it and they'd rather blame the "implementation" than actually learn something.
Wrong and also bad I guess.

I hope they put more gyro in games for people who want it and that way people who prefer sticks can just use them without having people thinking they are not understanding or doing something wrong or suck or whatever 🤷

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted on vita plays incredible because of the gyro aiming. It makes adjusting your shots incredibly easy. I was always sad we never got a sequel on the vita.

Oct 25, 2017
You want people to advocate for a control scheme that's worse than what they prefer?
You don't have to be picketing developer offices for it but complaining about the hypothetical of being forced to play gyro which virtually never happens in a thread advocating for gyro makes me roll my eyes into the back of my skull is all.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno then I guess I will just have to remain wrong about how I like to play games

Wrong and also bad I guess.

I hope they put more gyro in games for people who want it and that way people who prefer sticks can just use them without having people thinking they are not understanding or doing something wrong or suck or whatever 🤷
I love when people tell you that the way you feel is wrong. Like they want the option to use gyro but people in this thread or literally saying people who dislike it (and have tried it) are wrong and dumb. Man people get mean when people don't like their thing.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You don't have to be picketing developer offices for it but complaining about the hypothetical of being forced to play gyro which virtually never happens in a thread advocating for gyro makes me roll my eyes into the back of my skull is all.
Do your eyes also roll for the people who say they will refuse to play a game that doesn't have gyro?

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I don't see a single mention of the Wii in any of the posts you've quoted, or about the opinion stemming from outdated technology (except the note about 2015, where it was widely implemented in that gen)?

Specifically the ones complaining about having to waggle their arms or move a ton. That mindset stemmed from the Wii and it's still stuck in people's minds. The only time you do that today is with VR.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Gyro is comfortable enough and I use it in the same lazy position I use sticks. Mouse like precision while in sloth mode. There's literally no downside other than the tiny amount of initial effort it take to develop the muscle memory.
My lazy position doesn't even give me enough room to tilt the controller lol

Oct 25, 2017
Do your eyes also roll for the people who say they will refuse to play a game that doesn't have gyro?
No because that's just incredibly unfortunate that they'd have to forgoe 99% of games with this kind of character control because they hate analogue that much and there's not a whole lot of alternatives for them outside of wholesale switch to M&K.

Meanwhile if just one game came out with only gyro it seems the original person I replied to would be very upset.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No because that's just incredibly unfortunate that they'd have to forgoe 99% of games with this kind of character control because they hate analogue that much and there's not a whole lot of alternatives for them outside of wholesale switch to M&K.

Meanwhile if just one game came out with only gyro it seems the original person I replied to would be very upset.
And wouldn't play that game because they really don't enjoy that style of control. My point is neither is eye roll worthy.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The title of this thread is quite literally calling one side a bunch of liars. Not sure what you were expecting.

Options are good, analogue is standard.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I love when people tell you that the way you feel is wrong. Like they want the option to use gyro but people in this thread or literally saying people who dislike it (and have tried it) are wrong and dumb. Man people get mean when people don't like their thing.

The way you feel has nothing to do with the fact that you don't need to sit up and look directly at the TV to play most motion control games even during the WII U era. This take honestly feels outdated.

If my fat ass can play fast-pace FPS and and third-person shooter while lying down with two dogs under my arms while just moving my wrist and never experiencing wrist pain even after five hours of playing, I'm have issues with the 'I can't get comfortable' argument unless you're playing a game with some really lousy motion controls like AOC.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
This is it for me too. And whenever I end up using like full controller gyro it just feels super wrong in my arms and wrists. If you play competitive games or sit at a desk upright than I could see the benefit, but I sit in this big ol' chair, leaned back, controller in lap and often a cat on my chest etc. Gyro just doesn't work lol.

If I cared about the superior option for precision and stuff I would just use a keyboard and mouse.
This is wrong. I use gyro leaned back on my couch, feet up, hands resting in my lap.

Oct 25, 2017
And wouldn't play that game because they really don't enjoy that style of control. My point is neither is eye roll worthy.
And I think it's plenty eye roll-y to come into a thread advocating for gyro and say motion only can die in a fire when it's barely even gotten off the ground despite the technology being there for about a decade and gyro people have to deal with analogue only for 99% of games but whatever.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I have my wrists and controller sitting in my lap, making contact with my body. You're overestimating the amount of tilt required.
I mostly play competitive shooters. The few ones that support gyro would not work in the way that I'm usually sitting . It's a really weird angle lol. I literally could only tilt in one direction without moving my whole upper body around .

Oct 27, 2017
Specifically the ones complaining about having to waggle their arms or move a ton.
I don't know about you, but I would absolutely describe this:
www.youtube.com

Splatoon 2 - How to use Motion Controls! (For Beginners & Stick Players!)

This video will explain the methods and tricks in how to use motion controls for Splatoon 2! Make sure when you choose your controller hold style press the Y...
or this
www.youtube.com

Doom Gyro Controls On Switch! | Spawn Wave Plays

Doom received an update that added motion controls for aiming along with other improvements and bug fixes. The Gyro controls seem to work well enough to fine...
or this
www.youtube.com

MY FIRST TIME PLAYING VR! (Beat Saber)

Merch - http://samtaborstore.comSkating channel - http://youtube.com/samtaborskatingTwitter - @samueltaborInstagram - @samueltaborFacebook - https://www.face...
or this
www.youtube.com

iPhone Gyroscope vs Android Gyroscope (PUBG MOBILE) Comparison

This is a comparison between iPhone gyroscope and android gyroscope sensor in Pubg mobilethe difference is not very much, but iPhone is accurate and better.....

as arm waggling. Very few people are ignorant on what modern motion controls entail because it's much bigger now than ever both in gaming (modern console implementations, mobile gaming, and VR) and outside (in AR applications). People understand that it's primarily wrist movement (the wrist is part of the arm) regardless of the term used to describe it; in the same way I don't ignorantly assume you like it based on light-gun tech but haven't played modern games with gyro usage maybe you shouldn't jump to assume people dislike it (on an enthusiast gaming forum) based on decade old technology.

It is uncomfortable not because you need to madly flail your arms around, but because for some people there is nothing comfortable about having to be conscious of how I hold a controller or sit while trying to relax playing a game.