Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Akitama is so damn good. I'd happily take a whole Yakuza game with him as the main character.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Judgement but I'll never be over the fact that they did a spin off detective game and it wasn't starring Hana and Akiyama
Akiyama's the laziest protagonist alive, he'd be the worlds worst detective... now a Hana centric game I can get behind. Personally I always wanted a detective game (I posted on here about it in the Yakuza threads years ago) but with Date since... you know he's a detective! But Yagami was a much better choice, on account he can actually hold himself well in a fight.

So I'm only mid-chapter two having done some side quests, but Akiyama's whole ethos seems kind of... whack. Like, his fortune is based on scooping up some dollars off the sidewalk and then effectively gambling his way into absurd wealth, and now he's all "if you truly were worthy of my golden dollar, you'd have to show a willingness to work... (in the red light district)"

gtfo of here with that, my guy
There's a method to his madness, I forget exactly when its revealed but they build on his whole system in both the side stories of 4 and 5. Its well worth doing them. Also, Akiyama doesn't exclusively ask people to whore themselves out in Hostess clubs, his side stories go into that in way more detail but essentially its just a willingness to show that the person is serious and not just trying to con him (again, hilarious side story in 4 that you gotta see with that in mind). He gives out interest free loans and is pretty lax with the whole repayment scheme, plus his mantra is that "once you get a loan from him, you'll never borrow money again" or something like that, basically suggesting that he's helping get the peoples lives back on track, helping them. At least, that's what I took from my playthroughs on 4 and 5.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing the game I actually understand the threads title.

Good game overall.

Shun Akiyama is so good to play as.

I can't wait for Yakuza 5 so I can do his Baka Mitai

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Akiyama's the laziest protagonist alive, he'd be the worlds worst detective... now a Hana centric game I can get behind. Personally I always wanted a detective game (I posted on here about it in the Yakuza threads years ago) but with Date since... you know he's a detective! But Yagami was a much better choice, on account he can actually hold himself well in a fight.

There's a method to his madness, I forget exactly when its revealed but they build on his whole system in both the side stories of 4 and 5. Its well worth doing them. Also, Akiyama doesn't exclusively ask people to whore themselves out in Hostess clubs, his side stories go into that in way more detail but essentially its just a willingness to show that the person is serious and not just trying to con him (again, hilarious side story in 4 that you gotta see with that in mind). He gives out interest free loans and is pretty lax with the whole repayment scheme, plus his mantra is that "once you get a loan from him, you'll never borrow money again" or something like that, basically suggesting that he's helping get the peoples lives back on track, helping them. At least, that's what I took from my playthroughs on 4 and 5.

He's not lazy as evidenced by your response to the other poster. Dude went from being homeless to rich, he could just do nothing and be fine. He instead gives out interest free loans to help people by putting them through challenges to make them question what it is they are really passionate over and how to succeed at it. He's just not interested in most of the other work involved in it. I'd totally play a game where you get to be kicking your way through being a life coach while solving mysteries and just let me play Hana with Saejima's combat.

I really liked Yagami and Akiyama would've never fit the story they were trying to tell but damnit, I want more time with Akiyama and Hana.

Oct 27, 2017
He's not lazy as evidenced by your response to the other poster. Dude went from being homeless to rich, he could just do nothing and be fine. He instead gives out interest free loans to help people by putting them through challenges to make them question what it is they are really passionate over and how to succeed at it. He's just not interested in most of the other work involved in it. I'd totally play a game where you get to be kicking your way through being a life coach while solving mysteries and just let me play Hana with Saejima's combat.

I really liked Yagami and Akiyama would've never fit the story they were trying to tell but damnit, I want more time with Akiyama and Hana.
If Yagami doesn't return (cause his actor is expansive) then they can just make it about Akiyama. It would fit perfectly if they give him another story.

I would prefer he gets his own Yakuza game and Judgment gets a female protagonist instead but I will take it. As long as the combat is a brawler though.

Speaking of Yagami, I can't be the only one thinking his combat style was similiar to Akiyama. Especially the Crane style. This makes me wonder if they added the crane style as a part of an unfinished fighting style for Akiyama that was supposed to be in Yakuza 6 or his own game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

"He's not lazy"... lol, just watch the intro to the first chapter, he's lazy when it comes to collecting his money. He's shown sleeping and trying to get away with not collecting as seen in his conversation with Hana. Can't quite see how anyone could miss that. Plus if you play 5 and see what he's doing at the start of his chapter... laziness is shown yet again in the way he's (not) accomplished what he was supposed to be doing. Not quite sure why you'd doubt me on that one since its pretty darn clear as day in both those instances.

Is he completely lazy? Nah, when driven he gets shit done, but collecting on his loans certainly isn't one of them.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
"He's not lazy"... lol, just watch the intro to the first chapter, he's lazy when it comes to collecting his money. He's shown sleeping and trying to get away with not collecting as seen in his conversation with Hana. Can't quite see how anyone could miss that. Plus if you play 5 and see what he's doing at the start of his chapter... laziness is shown yet again in the way he's (not) accomplished what he was supposed to be doing. Not quite sure why you'd doubt me on that one since its pretty darn clear as day in both those instances.

Is he completely lazy? Nah, when driven he gets shit done, but collecting on his loans certainly isn't one of them.

That's like saying Majima is lazy because he's not all that interested in his construction company. Collecting on random debts is boring to Akiyama, he just wants something interesting to him. Which is why he needs Hana so that someone is paying attention to the stuff that bores him.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying Majima is lazy because he's not all that interested in his construction company. Collecting on random debts is boring to Akiyama, he just wants something interesting to him. Which is why he needs Hana so that someone is paying attention to the stuff that bores him.
But he is lazy at that stuff... can't see why your disagreeing as it smacks you right in the face the second you start the game, its not objective but a stone cold fact. And as I already stated, Yakuza 5 shows Akiyama acting the same way with a completely different task (starting a new branch in Osaka) right at the beginning of his chapter there, what were your thoughts on that scene? Because quite how you can claim the opposite is absolutely hilarious to me.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Akiyama prefers living like a hobo than doing fair work (or was it all a cover?). Anyway, I think it was right to cast a new actor for Judgment. By now, all these Yakuza side characters belong to the past, otherwise the studio wouldn't be so bold with the new Y7 direction.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
But several Yakuza side characters are back for 7 as summons ;) Gary Buster Holmes, Pocket Fighter and the Diapered Yakuza (forget his name, just his fetish preference!) and I doubt that's the only three we'll be seeing.
Plus I doubt it's the last we've seen of Saejima, Akiyama or Majima especially, all are insanely popular in Japan and I can totally envision a scenario where they show up either late into 7 or in future sequels. But I definitely think its wise to solely focus on Ichiban's main crew in the first game, to build up their characters as if someone as charismatic as Akiyama or Majima pops up they'll basically steal the spotlight away from them.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm just up to the finale now.
Uh... an _absurd_ amount of things happen off screen in this game. Like, I had to google to make sure a cutscene with Tanimura and Akiyama wasn't playing out of sequence at the start of kiryu's second chapter.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Weakest mainline Yakuza game IMO, but still great. I didn't like the fact that it's only Kamurocho again. Some of the new characters are really great though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I see Yakuza 4 remastered on the PSN store but can't see Yakuza 3 remastered except in the bundle, is there a way to get only the third game remastered for ps4 not in the bundle ?

is not, why only 4 remastered out as a single product ?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I see Yakuza 4 remastered on the PSN store but can't see Yakuza 3 remastered except in the bundle, is there a way to get only the third game remastered for ps4 not in the bundle ?

4 remastered isn't out as a single product. Are you sure you're not looking at the PS3 version of Yakuza 4? Or looking at the Yakuza 4 page which is part of the bundle? Because if you actually go to the page, it should show that you can't actually buy 4.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

iirc the games aren't available individually yet. Once 5 is released i think that'll change thought.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
4 remastered isn't out as a single product. Are you sure you're not looking at the PS3 version of Yakuza 4? Or looking at the Yakuza 4 page which is part of the bundle? Because if you actually go to the page, it should show that you can't actually buy 4.
iirc the games aren't available individually yet. Once 5 is released i think that'll change thought.

Sorry, i just realised the page is probably a mistake on the Canadian page store https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP0177-CUSA15326_00-YAKUZA4HD0000000

vix

Nov 18, 2017
I finally started this last night. I'm a bit confused on the story, but that's nothing new with me. Heh. I'm liking it so far, liking it more than I did 3. I don't understand pachinko though at all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I finally started this last night. I'm a bit confused on the story, but that's nothing new with me. Heh. I'm liking it so far, liking it more than I did 3. I don't understand pachinko though at all.
There are cheat items for Pachinko you get eventually - ones that give you at least one jackpot within the first 100? rolls I think it was. The idea is to get one of those items, use it on a Virtua Fighter machine and then once you hit jackpot it goes into something akin of a ranked mode, where enemies challenge you, a quick button bashing (maybe luck based) mini game later, and you should hopefully win the fight which means another jackpot. The idea is to basically try to keep winning which means more tokens which lets you unlock the trophy eventually. Oh, and a wonderful song when you win.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
There are cheat items for Pachinko you get eventually - ones that give you at least one jackpot within the first 100? rolls I think it was. The idea is to get one of those items, use it on a Virtua Fighter machine and then once you hit jackpot it goes into something akin of a ranked mode, where enemies challenge you, a quick button bashing (maybe luck based) mini game later, and you should hopefully win the fight which means another jackpot. The idea is to basically try to keep winning which means more tokens which lets you unlock the trophy eventually. Oh, and a wonderful song when you win.
I was so confused by it, wasn't even sure what buttons to press. Heh. Never played any sort of pachinko before but was excited it was finally in a game. Thanks for the info, I'll keep it mind for when I give it a go again.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
So I just started this and whoa, the texture work in the game is really night and day compared to 3 remastered, which was a blurry mess. Everything looks very crisp.

Did 4 look that much better than 3 when it came out or did the studio put most of the remastering efforts on 4 ?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started this and whoa, the texture work in the game is really night and day compared to 3 remastered, which was a blurry mess. Everything looks very crisp.

Did 4 look that much better than 3 when it came out or did the studio put most of the remastering efforts on 4 ?
Well, its harder to say on the PS3. I'm gonna say yeah 4 really improved things on the PS3 but here's where its harder to work out - 3 on the PS3 runs at a sub HD resolution, like, really sub HD and it looks really blurry. I know you said the remaster of 3 looks blurry, but trust me its actually night and day better compared to how it looks on the PS3. But 4 ups the resolution (still sub HD, but just a bit softer than a proper HD game, as opposed to a blurry mess like 3 was). But it also improves the look of Kamurocho, character models etc. so yes it did look better than 3 back in the day.

5 actually got the most work of the bunch on the remasters (and originally) as it upgrades to a better version of the then current engine, and improves the resolution and some animations and just all round looks even better. Though some textures are pretty bad in 5, perhaps due to time or just the sheer size of the game (5 cities and all). 5 remaster actually does improve the textures, especially on many of the shops/signs as there are some clear examples I saw while playing where things that were basically unreadable on PS3 were way better on PS4.

So basically its probably a mix of just things improving via the PS3 games, and the remasters also improving little things here and there.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Well, its harder to say on the PS3. I'm gonna say yeah 4 really improved things on the PS3 but here's where its harder to work out - 3 on the PS3 runs at a sub HD resolution, like, really sub HD and it looks really blurry. I know you said the remaster of 3 looks blurry, but trust me its actually night and day better compared to how it looks on the PS3. But 4 ups the resolution (still sub HD, but just a bit softer than a proper HD game, as opposed to a blurry mess like 3 was). But it also improves the look of Kamurocho, character models etc. so yes it did look better than 3 back in the day.

5 actually got the most work of the bunch on the remasters (and originally) as it upgrades to a better version of the then current engine, and improves the resolution and some animations and just all round looks even better. Though some textures are pretty bad in 5, perhaps due to time or just the sheer size of the game (5 cities and all). 5 remaster actually does improve the textures, especially on many of the shops/signs as there are some clear examples I saw while playing where things that were basically unreadable on PS3 were way better on PS4.

So basically its probably a mix of just things improving via the PS3 games, and the remasters also improving little things here and there.

I see, thanks for the info ! It's my first time playing 2 Yakuza games back to back and I really expected 3 and 4 to look the same since they originally released to close to each other. The textures even look pretty good up close, and I noticed much better effects like reflection too. Pretty crazy how different they look, I wish I had taken screenshots while playing 3 just to compare.

Also in 4 the studio seems to have dropped the "combat on hard = enemies will block fucking everything" approach that 3 had, so that's nice

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Lots of sequels made huge jumps on the PS3. Remember Uncharted vs Uncharted 2 / 3?

Anyway, here is Yakuza 3 on PS3:

528084-yakuza-3-playstation-3-screenshot-firearms-will-quickly-take.jpg

and Yakuza 4:

532119-yakuza-4-playstation-3-screenshot-akiyama-has-impressive-leg.jpg

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't 5 also benefit from the changes made from Binary Domain?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks for the info ! It's my first time playing 2 Yakuza games back to back and I really expected 3 and 4 to look the same since they originally released to close to each other. The textures even look pretty good up close, and I noticed much better effects like reflection too. Pretty crazy how different they look, I wish I had taken screenshots while playing 3 just to compare.

Also in 4 the studio seems to have dropped the "combat on hard = enemies will block fucking everything" approach that 3 had, so that's nice

The team works quick. Like brutally efficient. They usually bust out a new Yakuza in around a year and not only do they look better usually, but also add tons more content, brand new story etc. each time. Seriously impressive how they manage it.
But I disagree on the hard mode changes. 4 and up were hurt when they lobotomized the harder difficult(y/ies). If people didn't want tough enemies then they shouldn't have been playing on hard. The enemies in 3 put up a fight, and you had to open them up with your moves set, I absolutely loved that. In 4 you get enemies who are almost too scared to attack... had to use the champion ring to get them to do anything at points, and that only forces them to attack all the time, so its not exactly a great way round the issue. Better than nothing though.

Didn't 5 also benefit from the changes made from Binary Domain?
I think so? I forget which round they were all released but I think they improved the engine for BD, then copied some of the improvements across to 5? Its been so long I forget,

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think so? I forget which round they were all released but I think they improved the engine for BD, then copied some of the improvements across to 5? Its been so long I forget,

Well, it went from Dead Souls/Of the END to Binary Domain to 5 to Ishin, and so forth, all the changes they've learned from Binary Domain helped later games up until the Dragon Engine titles. Outside of that I can't recall any major engine changes in between that period of games.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Wow, I just started Saejima's storyline and I already can't wait for it to be over.

Like who cares about the guy's attack power when he has the reach of penguin and is horribly slow as well (especially with weapons, what the fuck ?). I'm fighting the asshole prison guard to escape and he's competely destroying me. Doesn't help that there are barely any health items lying around as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did penguins evolve and get Dhalsim levels of reach while I was asleep? Granted Saito is a complete prick to fight this early in the game, Saejima certainly doesn't have bad reach when you start using his charged combo attacks. But I forget if he starts with those, or he needs to level up a couple of times to get them. Either way, I care about Saejima, favourite character in the series up there with Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban for me.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Charged attacks are useless in this section because you're surrounded most of the time and for a guy his size, Saejima goes down pretty fucking easily. I'm sure he gets better as time goes on, but what a poor way to introduce him.

Even the checkpoints are fucking me now. I died shortly after the (horrible) sniper segment, and it makes me restart before that. What ?

This is my fifth Yakuza game and literally the first time I want to stop playing.

Edit : Okay I'm through and right after that there's a super pervy scene involving Haruka. Boy this game sure is something.

Last edited: