abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yakuza 4 was the highest the series peaked before 0.

It's an amazing game, with amazingly written characters and stories.

Its really shook the formula by introducing 3 new playable characters with their own very different playstyle, motivations and story backgrounds.
Yes, it's very good. I will play all these remasters hopefully this holiday season.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
not available to download yet on US PSN, so im taking it that it will be up tomorrow PST

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The install screen for those who are installing :P

I wish we'd gotten 0's and 5's, they're amazing.

Akiyama is such a cool character. Hopefully he returns playable in Yakuza 8. I need more of those kicks in my life.

Wow, I mever saw this before.

Now that I think about it, there were also others for the other Yakuza games like Zeo, Kiwami and Ishin.
It's where I used all the gifs in 5's OT from.

And 4 is my favorite, bar none. 0 is damn close though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 4 still has my favorite track or you could say medley of tracks in all of Yakuza.

This is legit one of my favourite finale's for the series. The theme that goes across each of the tracks is so good, and they all have this epic, final sound to them. I love it! Then again, Yakuza as a series has really solid end boss themes for pretty much every one of their games, Ishin is still probably the best of the bunch in my opinion - an 8 minute epic that changes as the boss fight scene shifts to different areas, when playing 5 again this year I kinda wish it did the same thing, it'd have made the fight even better in my opinion.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Props to SEGA for upgrading their cover-art back then.
128942_front.jpg

Best cover in the series, in my opinion, and love how 'subtle' they (intentionally?) put the 'sexy' & 'sex' signs. ;P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gave the game a quick try. The intro vid is so wonderful, its the For Faith version if anyone cares, not Butterfly City but in this case it just sounds so much better than the Japanese version so yay. Played the first chapter, just for the rain effects in Kamurocho, looks fantastic (especially if you go into the Poppo Mart). I'll stop there though, else I'll end up playing it through yet again!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Props to SEGA for upgrading their cover-art back then.
128942_front.jpg

Best cover in the series, in my opinion, and love how 'subtle' they (intentionally?) put the 'sexy' & 'sex' signs. ;P
This was pretty much the game that showed Sega of America started giving a damn about the series' Western treatment, and it showed.

Shout out to the incredible trailers, too.

Become Somebody in a World of Nobodies is the perfect tagline.

Well, that and These Guys Don't Even Use Umbrellas.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yakuza 4 still has my favorite track or you could say medley of tracks in all of Yakuza.

So fucking good, gives me chills tbh

The showdown at the end is just 10/10, I remember going through Yakuza 4 in a weekend back in early 2016 and it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Amazing game.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Started to download.
Glad i still have these remasters to look foward to. As someone that has zero interest in RGG7 due to the new direction they are taking the game, is nice to still have something to look foward to from the series, until 5 in Feb.

Hamster0

Dec 4, 2018
This was pretty much the game that showed Sega of America started giving a damn about the series' Western treatment, and it showed.

Shout out to the incredible trailers, too.

Become Somebody in a World of Nobodies is the perfect tagline.

Well, that and These Guys Don't Even Use Umbrellas.

I loved the Y4 trailers when they came out

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Getting to control all 4 main casts and explore their background stories in Y4, then converging all their storylines into the climax was memorable.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Getting to control all 4 main casts and explore their background stories in Y4, then converging all their storylines into the climax was memorable.
Its my favorite Yakuza game when it cames to the story and characters. I remember hating the idea to play with more characters, then when i finally played the game, loved some of the new characters so much that didnt want them do go away.
Yakuza 4 is up there as the best Yakuza game, side by side with Yakuza 0 for me.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Its my favorite Yakuza game when it cames to the story and characters. I remember hating the idea to play with more characters, then when i finally played the game, loved some of the new characters so much that didnt want them do go away.
Yakuza 4 is up there as the best Yakuza game, side by side with Yakuza 0 for me.

I loved Akiyama, guy was just oozing with charisma. Has a great moveset too, preferred his kicks to Kiryu's punches.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this for a while and I fell in love all over again. The rain looks really awesome with the 1080p resolution.
I missed my fair share of sub stories when I first played it years ago so I am also seeing a new side to the game.

Looking forward to Saejima's part of the game. It was my favourite part of the game when I first played it.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Glad more people get to enjoy this game now. Loved the way how everything came together in the end, it was so much fun. One of the series' best finales for sure. Akiyama <3

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
#NotMyTanimura

that being said 4 is probably my 5th favorite of the main series, not counting Judgment. I love it, even if some of the plot didn't make sense and there is a questionable scene or two.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
#NotMyTanimura

that being said 4 is probably my 5th favorite of the main series, not counting Judgment. I love it, even if some of the plot didn't make sense and there is a questionable scene or two.
Probably my stance on the game as well. I love it but it definitely tumbles in certain aspects near the end. But then again after replaying 5 a few times I actually like the story in that game, so opinions differ greatly when it comes to the series for sure!

Been playing this for a while and I fell in love all over again. The rain looks really awesome with the 1080p resolution.
I missed my fair share of sub stories when I first played it years ago so I am also seeing a new side to the game.

Looking forward to Saejima's part of the game. It was my favourite part of the game when I first played it.
Only thing I had against Saejima is that his content is tough to do initially because of the police presence and how late some of it opens up - its all excellent stuff but damn if the game does its best to force you down the story path! He's hilarious to use though thanks to the exaggerated bound/bounce mechanics. I just wish 5 kept that aspect, as Saejima's fleshed out combat in that game would have been a sight to behold with 3/4 bound mechanics.

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I had against Saejima is that his content is tough to do initially because of the police presence and how late some of it opens up - its all excellent stuff but damn if the game does its best to force you down the story path! He's hilarious to use though thanks to the exaggerated bound/bounce mechanics. I just wish 5 kept that aspect, as Saejima's fleshed out combat in that game would have been a sight to behold with 3/4 bound mechanics.
Oh yeah, I remember those parts. I found them cool to play through as it gives you a very cool vibe cause you are a fugitive. But it did get annoying having to turn around so and go through very lengthy routes to get where you wanted to go.

I remember Yakuza 5 not having this mechanic (I could be very wrong though as I last played 5 a couple of years ago). Looking forward to replay it in four months!

Jul 24, 2018
Fighter Maker is one of my favorite Yakuza mini-games, I even like how the story of that mini-game continues in Yakuza 5. I just love Saejima's relationship with the Dojo students, especially when he goes out drinking with them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I remember those parts. I found them cool to play through as it gives you a very cool vibe cause you are a fugitive. But it did get annoying having to turn around so and go through very lengthy routes to get where you wanted to go.

I remember Yakuza 5 not having this mechanic (I could be very wrong though as I last played 5 a couple of years ago). Looking forward to replay it in four months!
5 still does it, Saejima will turn around if he gets too close to a cop. Only in Sapporo its a tad more annoying due to the narrower streets and fewer ways to navigate the city.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I doubt it's a feature, but is there any way to transfer your save data from the PS3 versions of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 to the PS4 versions?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I doubt it's a feature, but is there any way to transfer your save data from the PS3 versions of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 to the PS4 versions?
No, absolutely not possible as they aren't the same games. 3 especially would be completely incompatible what with so much content cut in the PS3 version to the PS4 version. 4 and 5 aren't 1:1 ports of the PS3 games either, so I doubt it'd be straight forward to do.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I will buy the physical version. The games can still be always in backlog (I only played 0 and Own Yakuza Kiwimi) but the case its beautiful.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
No, absolutely not possible as they aren't the same games. 3 especially would be completely incompatible what with so much content cut in the PS3 version to the PS4 version. 4 and 5 aren't 1:1 ports of the PS3 games either, so I doubt it'd be straight forward to do.
Gotcha. Figured I'd ask anyway even though I feel like I know that was the answer. Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm only mid-chapter two having done some side quests, but Akiyama's whole ethos seems kind of... whack. Like, his fortune is based on scooping up some dollars off the sidewalk and then effectively gambling his way into absurd wealth, and now he's all "if you truly were worthy of my golden dollar, you'd have to show a willingness to work... (in the red light district)"

gtfo of here with that, my guy

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
So I'm only mid-chapter two having done some side quests, but Akiyama's whole ethos seems kind of... whack. Like, his fortune is based on scooping up some dollars off the sidewalk and then effectively gambling his way into absurd wealth, and now he's all "if you truly were worthy of my golden dollar, you'd have to show a willingness to work... (in the red light district)"

gtfo of here with that, my guy

I mean, he is giving out loans that you, to a certain degree, don't actually have any obligation to pay back. While putting up no collateral. Interest free. Anything like that is going to have some kind of weird catch. It's clear that he wants to make sure his money is going to people who are actually desperate for the cash, not just people who kinda want it for whatever reason.

I'd personally not call his behavior particularly ethical, I just think your summary is... several degrees titled from how you're supposed to interpret him.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed Judgement but I'll never be over the fact that they did a spin off detective game and it wasn't starring Hana and Akiyama

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Been playing it since the weekend began. Still Akiyama.

The biggest issue right now is that Death Stranding unlocks at 9PM Thursday night while I'm at work on a filmset, so I'll be playing that on Friday.

What this means is I'll likely have to put Yakuza 4 on "pause" while I play that. Then Shenmue 3 releases like 10 days later.

GAH