Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people can still talk shit about some of China's more traditional 'medicines'.
giphy.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Maybe if they let you pet a dog for 20 minutes you'll feel better about being a racist.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Nah, people can still talk shit about some of China's more traditional 'medicines'.
What are you referring to specifically? The vast majority of "traditional medicine" you are probably thinking of are just herbal remedies (note 80% of the world's population uses herbal remedies) that are used over the entire world, or acupuncture. If you're from the US, people here think drinking bleach cures them of ailments.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I've seen is people saying that the Chinese government is trying to cover it up

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bull shit but I will admit I was freaked out by an obviously high af guy pacing around on the Bart today and coughing.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
What are you referring to specifically? The vast majority of "traditional medicine" you are probably thinking of are just herbal remedies (note 80% of the world's population uses herbal remedies) that are used over the entire world, or acupuncture. If you're from the US, people here think drinking bleach cures them of ailments.
I'd rather people drink bleach than kill endangered pangolins to use their scales in tea.

Nov 20, 2017

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
the continuous dissection of chinese culture, diet, and communal practices by shithead americans who will never in their life encounter this disease is extremely fucked up and plays to a century-old racist narrative of dirty and foreign orientals. if your first instinct is to pick apart the 'weird' things a culture does and attribute that to the spread of a disease and also lets that inform how concerned you are about a disease you're just a fucking racist and no amount of rationalizing will change that

also for the vast majority of chinese people, eating exotic endangered animals or supplements is something they will almost never be able to do because, obviously, that's extremely expensive for most chinese folks who mostly just want to get by their day by day eating food their families have been eating without incident for generations so let's not confuse this issue

edit: also really glad that some of you have only 'seen' people 'legitimately' concerned about the prc but that doesn't stop all the actual, literal racism that chinese people abroad and various east asian diaspora are experiencing literally right now

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I will say it's getting pretty bad out there for Asians in Australia, I got looks at the fuckin airport just for putting on a mask. If it turns out this is all completely overblown then I'm leaving the country forever because this level of hatred of Asians is absurd.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"Coronavirus is an attempt by the Chinese government to create a genetically engineered super-AIDS" is not a take I expected to see anywhere

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend hate Chinese people so much he forget that I'm also half Chinese.

Curretnly avoid conversation with him until event pass.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Saw my first instance of racist behaviour today regarding this.

I live in Motnmagny Québec, 3 hours away from Montreal. There are very very few people of east-asian descent here, but there is a hockey tournament right now.

I was checking 2 boomers in, and the lady overheard an asian dad come in and tell other parents in the lobby he came back from the hospital, and his kid has the flu. This woman literally took her coat to cover her mouth and nose. She turns to look at me and I hit with a "Franchement!" (translates to a really passive agressive really!?), and she lowered it immediatly.

That was my story. She had a pokerface on and barely turned red, but she looked more insulted than embarassed, but she did put that arm down fast so she certainly realized how fucked that reflex was.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I was on the train this week and this passenger just started shouting at this Chinese person. Called him a walking disease and said that the world had started going to shit because "you Chinese fucks are everywhere now."

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I was on the train this week and this passenger just started shouting at this Chinese person. Called him a walking disease and said that the world had started going to shit because "you Chinese fucks are everywhere now."

This isn't even subtle.

Where do you live so I can stay the fuck away.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
While getting my prescription a worker asked a co-worker if anybody in her family is sick. She replied that she's Vietnamese🙄
And what she going to do? Get her fired or stay home because someone in her family is sick?!

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grace said there has been a difference in the way some Australians have reacted to victims of the coronavirus outbreak in comparison to the bushfire crisis.
"During the fires, we saw post after post on social media, outpourings of emotion, love and grief for the suffering of both humans and animals, as we should have," she said.

"But here, post after post, comment after comment, I have been made aware that the suffering of people like me does not matter and should perhaps even be celebrated - that to these people, I am not worth as much as an animal."

"I even see people celebrating the suffering of people like me."
Only voicing what they've always thought about. Wonder what colour these people are...

ps3ud0 8)

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While getting my prescription a worker asked a co-worker if anybody in her family is sick. She replied that she's Vietnamese🙄
And what she going to do? Get her fired or stay home because someone in her family is sick?!
A few of my Vietnamese-Canadian friends are undergoing similar things right now. They've been saying how people avoid them in stores, point from afar, and so on. It's awful.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Even within Asia, the racism has been very visible. People are nervous and scared and it's easy to blame China and the Chinese people