FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Toronto's mayor and health officials took a stand Wednesday against xenophobia toward Chinese Canadians amid growing fears about the spread of coronavirus.

The outbreak, which is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China, has seemingly led to fears that Chinese communities should be avoided. Toronto Mayor John Tory said the idea was "entirely inconsistent" with the advice of medical professionals.

"It is ill-founded and in fact could lead to a situation in which we are less safe, because it spreads misinformation at a time when people are in more need than ever of real information and real facts," Tory said.
Thousands of parents from the York Region District School Board in Ontario circulated a petition to keep out of school students whose families have visited China for an extended period of time, the CBC reported Tuesday.

The CBC also reported that Chinese Canadians are feeling racist sentiments across the country, comparing the misinformation and stigma to the atmosphere surrounding the 2003 outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

Kerry Bowman, a bioethicist at the University of Toronto, told the CBC that the fears about the Chinese community aren't based in science and that there were "clearly elements of racism to it."

Amy Lee-Ludovicy was confused when she opened her email last week to find her children's Mandarin class field trip had been canceled due to "safety concerns." It wasn't the typical low temperatures or an incoming snowstorm that had prompted school administrators to act, but a disease outbreak on the other side of the globe.

In the email from Principal Marguerite Fusco of Warwick Valley High School in upstate New York, Lee-Ludovicy was told that her kids, who are in eighth and ninth grades, wouldn't be headed to New York City's Chinatown to celebrate the Lunar New Year as planned. The explanation was the recent coronavirus outbreak, which is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China, she told NBC News.
In other instances of racial insensitivity, social media users and media outlets have circulated a video of a Chinese woman supposedly eating bat soup in Wuhan, claiming Chinese peoples' practice of eating wildlife or unsanitary dining prompted the outbreak. The diner, vlogger Wang Mengyun, was targeted with hateful comments. However, the video wasn't even taken in Wuhan, but was shot in the Pacific Island nation of Palau, where the dish is a delicacy.

Others have suggested race-based measures to contain the virus. Calling the coronavirus the "Chi-com virus" (in reference to the Chinese Communist government), conservative radio personality Rush Limbaugh advocated for the U.S. to put a "ban on Chinese passengers being permitted into the country." Similarly, conservative pundit Ann Coulter berated Congress for failing to ban "travel from China to block the coronavirus that will kill Americans."
"When people play off of stereotypes, they are going for a simplistic and completely misinformed and frankly, ignorant answer," John C. Yang, president and executive director of Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC, said. "They are distracting from serious health work that is being done to contain a legitimate health concern."

Yang added that xenophobic attitudes regarding coronavirus hit on specific stereotypes surrounding Chinese people.

"Unfortunately, there are definitely those people that still believe that somehow, Chinese culture generally, it's backwards and foods are considered 'exotic,'" Yang said. "That certainly leads to misperception and, even worse, misinformation or disinformation about what actually happens and what is the source of the coronavirus."

Anti-Asian racism has been reported in the UK and elsewhere, and now French Asians have complained of abuse on public transport and social media.

They have been using the hashtag JeNeSuisPasUnVirus (I'm not a virus).

There was an outcry when local newspaper Le Courier Picard used the inflammatory headlines "Alerte jaune" (Yellow alert) and "Le péril jaune?" (Yellow peril?), complete with an image of a Chinese woman wearing a protective mask.
As the hashtag spread, one woman, Cathy Tran, described hearing two men on her way to work in the eastern town of Colmar saying; "Watch out, a Chinese girl is coming our way."

"On my way home from work, a man on a scooter passed me by, telling me to put on a mask," Ms Tran told the BBC.

Another hashtag user complained: "Stop asking if we're dangerous if we cough while all the people around us are doing so."
Shana Cheng, a 17-year-old Parisian of Vietnamese and Cambodian origin, told the BBC that she had faced humiliating comments on a bus in the city on Sunday from both young and old.

"There's a Chinese woman, she is going to contaminate us, she needs to go home," she heard one passenger say. People looked at her "in a disgusted way, as if I was the virus".

No-one stood up for her, she said, so she decided to ignore the comments and listen to her music. But she did cough and sniff "so as to play on their fears", she added.

I've already seen a few xenophobic memes being spread around in my circles. I haven't yet seen or heard any outright xenophobia on display during my work though. I would hope with how diverse this city is, fear over coronavirus doesn't lead anti-asian discrimination. Although, that letter from parents of York Region doesn't exactly dispel my concerns.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
these people will die from fear before they die from interacting with a random asian person.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is always the case with things like this "Do we listen to science or do we go full racist?". You know the answer.

there was a canadian reporter last week taking a self with an asian person saying "yuck yuck I hope i don't get the virus"

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yellow peril in full effect. Can't have Chinese kids in schools, but unvaccinated kids for "conscience or religious belief" is fine

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people suck so fucking much?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yellow peril in full effect. Can't have Chinese kids in schools, but unvaccinated kids for "conscience or religious belief" is fine
Damn didn't think about that, the same folks that would fight for the right to have their kids suffer will want to probably scream bloody murder if an asian person coughs around them

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It's messed up but people apply what little they know about an entire country onto anyone they think looks Chinese. Like those dorks that can't separate the Chinese government from it's citizens. Or a virus from a human being.

Also, can't we finally kill the fucking myth that Canada is this wonderful bastion of liberalism and leftist politics? I know us Americans got that health care thirst but Canada does not give nearly as much of a shit about human rights or it's indigenous people as Americans think.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Japan is doing this too, but I've heard small reports like this coming from everywhere. Frankly we all suck under panic and mild/secret racism I'm sure comes out full force against this sorta situation. What a drag

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personal anecdote is that this has been pretty prevalent here in Brazil regarding asian people in general and its really fucking gross.

Perpetrators casually dismiss any racism accusations as well.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Anecdote from me. I've seen it here in Brooklyn sadly. Where on the Subway whenever Asians wearing surgical masks get on the train, people usually immediately get up and go to other train cars or just crowd in the corner. This has never happened before where. Nearly every day now I have been seeing this. Any Asian person with surgical masks on didn't cause this reaction before whatsoever. Now people are giving them side eyes, murmuring stuff, etc.

It's disgusting behavior, but at the same time I do take the opportunity to take empty seats since these people aren't going to use it. Though I then get looks myself as if I'm crazy.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
People are doing way too much fearmongering using this outbreak as a way stroke hatred for asian people as a whole, cause let's be honest, if you look "chinese" you are all the same to these idiots.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is the first school trip example xenophobia or just extreme caution? Doesn't seem that dissimilar from

In some areas, Chinese communities themselves have taken precautions. The Denver Chinese School canceled its Lunar New Year celebration, which was scheduled for Saturday, because of fears around the virus, despite risks to the general public being low, according to the Denver Post. Official Lunar New Year events were also canceled in Chicago.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
People don't understand this or perhaps they do and don't care but the dissemination of certain memes may have a pernicious effect on tribal minds. I have seen some of these pop up recently:

FFZJPF0.jpg

And this one titled, "Being Chinese in America right now"

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
joanna jedrzejczyk posted this really tasteful image as she is about to face zhang weili for the ufc strawweight tilte next month

zhang-weili.jpg

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the racism around this is getting terrible. I'm seeing it everywhere, even on the local TV news sites for my supposedly progressive city.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It really took nothing at all for the racism to surface, and this quickly too

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the dumb posts on social media are stupid enough as is but hearing all the fear mongering in person is even more annoying. I call our every dumbass who spews some shit. What's worst is Chinese people blaming mainland Chinese people. Like chill with that BS.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I just overheard someone at the gym loudly talking about how they declined an invitation from a friend to go to Mandarin (a chain buffet restaurant serving Chinese food) because "you don't know where 'they' went". Funny since I'm pretty sure Mandarin is like the white person's intro course to Chinese food.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
It's truly frightening that xenophobia is the first reaction to every societal problem.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, I've seen a lot of xenophobic memes on Twitter about it. Ffs

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah the amount of "fuck Asian people" and "Asian people cause diseases" I've been seeing online is pretty fucking disgusting and just demonstrates how ignorant and bigoted people are.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
People don't understand this or perhaps they do and don't care but the dissemination of certain memes may have a pernicious effect on tribal minds. I have seen some of these pop up recently:

And this one titled, "Being Chinese in America right now"

That kinda funny tho, the video one

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this will bring some awareness to Asian racism. This shit is always around but imo, heavily downplayed. It doesn't get the attention that it deserves

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Anti-Asian racism has been reported in the UK and elsewhere, and now French Asians have complained of abuse on public transport and social media.

They have been using the hashtag JeNeSuisPasUnVirus (I'm not a virus).

There was an outcry when local newspaper Le Courier Picard used the inflammatory headlines "Alerte jaune" (Yellow alert) and "Le péril jaune?" (Yellow peril?), complete with an image of a Chinese woman wearing a protective mask.
As the hashtag spread, one woman, Cathy Tran, described hearing two men on her way to work in the eastern town of Colmar saying; "Watch out, a Chinese girl is coming our way."

"On my way home from work, a man on a scooter passed me by, telling me to put on a mask," Ms Tran told the BBC.

Another hashtag user complained: "Stop asking if we're dangerous if we cough while all the people around us are doing so."

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The modern yellow peril is overall fucked as people more and more brazenly exploit the shittiness of the Chinese government to tarnish the entire culture, its people, and anyone of Asian descent regardless of background. The coronavirus outbreak is only the latest of this.