• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 28 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 48 3.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 383 28.1%
  • 85-89

Votes: 637 46.7%
  • 80-84

Votes: 209 15.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 35 2.6%
  • under 75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
_20200527_100313pzk2a.jpg

Hell yeah!
Wow, man. Good for you! :D

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if anyone feels the same but I always find it a bit annoying when these review threads go up before the reviews actually land

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
No, not a chance. A remade port is not going to outsell a new entry that released on the same platform and had a 2+ year head start.

On the other hand, the first game has much better word of mouth and there's a lot of people who missed out on it because it was released late in the Wii's life span and hard to obtain (in the US at least). I'm positive it will have a higher Metacritic score than XB2 as well.
Also, first party Switch games sell like hot cakes, and a lot of people are in quarantine right now.

I feel like it's got a very good chance of surpassing XB2 in the long run.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, the first game has much better word of mouth and there's a lot of people who missed out on it because it was released late in the Wii's life span and hard to obtain (in the US at least). I'm positive it will have a higher Metacritic score than XB2 as well.
Also, first party Switch games sell like hot cakes, and a lot of people are in quarantine right now.

I feel like it's got a very good chance of surpassing XB2 in the long run.
That's definately a black & white way to look at things.

I wouldnt be so sure.. as there's more factors playing in than that.

Serious question and I'm not just being contrarian: have any Nintendo series ever actually had the second entry on a console significantly out perform the first?
The closest I could think of was Fire emblem fates vs awakening, and that was probably only due to there being some seriously funky counting going on with how they counted fates sales (e.g. iirc they counted DLC sales as additional units). Every other major example I can think of did the opposite.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if anyone feels the same but I always find it a bit annoying when these review threads go up before the reviews actually land

I agree, but clearly people think metascore predictions are important enough. I don't get it. I could swear we had a rule in place at some point that said that review threads shouldn't go up earlier than like an hour before the reviews hit, but maybe that's just been wishful thinking on my part.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't a voting thread be seperate. I always click on the thread assuming I can read through the reviews but then can't find any
I think the mods prefer to keep it all to one thread. So if the plan is to have voting then they'd have to do it a day earlier to give everyone in the world a chance to vote, but yeah I understand what you're saying.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Serious question and I'm not just being contrarian: have any Nintendo series ever actually had the second entry on a console significantly out perform the first?
The closest I could think of was Fire emblem fates vs awakening, and that was probably only due to there being some seriously funky counting going on with how they counted fates sales (e.g. iirc they counted DLC sales as additional units). Every other major example I can think of did the opposite.

I dont know. I'm sure if one want to look it up they could find some examples.

A couple of factors why I think it's not clear that XC2 sells more than XCDE

* Xenoblade Chronicles DE has been getting a lot more love from Nintendo marketing wise. I mean a ton more.
* Current world situation
* Beloved game by fans, finally put in a situation to succeed
* Switch population is a ton higher and more popular than ever
* Shulk in Smash

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
How come Torna is rated so low... Its still a good score but i believed it deserved way more
For me xenoblade could be perfect if they did voice acting in heart to heart moments. Its the rpg with the best cast of characters since ff9.
It really doesn't add anything to the story, forced side questing, combat improvements are undermined by everyone having orb master by default making spamming arts much more effective than making a game plan towards each orbs

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think anything above 80 would be fine, but I think it will be over 85 just because this is such a special game and the remaster looks like such a huge step above.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know. I'm sure if one want to look it up they could find some examples.

A couple of factors why I think it's not clear that XC2 sells more than XCDE

* Xenoblade Chronicles DE has been getting a lot more love from Nintendo marketing wise. I mean a ton more.
* Current world situation
* Beloved game by fans, finally put in a situation to succeed
* Switch population is a ton higher and more popular than ever
* Shulk in Smash

The marketing thing's not really true though. XCB2 got an awful lot of marketing, multiple directs, and including a year long support of patches and updates and a massive expansion capping it off. Meanwhile Nintendo america still barely cares to even tweet about XBCDE. And despite what Era would have you think, the word of mouth on 2 was very good as well.

Basically the only of those points that apply at all and didn't also benefit XB2 is launching in the current situation , but even then, this is no Animal crossing and I hope people aren't thinking it will be.
e.g. On the UK eshop, it's preorders are only at 24th, behind basically all of Nintendos long legged mainstays. It's not doing badly on amazon US/France, but I had to laugh when I looked at how far down the list of amazon uk best sellers too (92nd, right after such hit titles as Little Friends: Dogs & Cats (Nintendo Switch), lol.). Maybe I'm just looking at it from the UK perspective where the country doesn't care much.

(Meanwhile I bought this game digitally and the limited edition, I can't help myself, lol)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
holy moly what'd they do to the characters

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, but clearly people think metascore predictions are important enough. I don't get it. I could swear we had a rule in place at some point that said that review threads shouldn't go up earlier than like an hour before the reviews hit, but maybe that's just been wishful thinking on my part.
I'm pretty certain I remember reading that too

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope no one meltdowns if the scores don't go their way. In the end it's whatever and looking at history, generally rereleases or remasters score less than the original.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I just wanna play the damn game, this is something to do in the mean time

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weird how my order says it was sent out but won't arrive until the 29th when this shop usually only takes one day to deliver. Guess I'll see tomorrow.

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
The marketing thing's not really true though. XCB2 got an awful lot of marketing, multiple directs, and including a year long support of patches and updates and a massive expansion capping it off. Meanwhile Nintendo america still barely cares to even tweet about XBCDE. And despite what Era would have you think, the word of mouth on 2 was very good as well.

Basically the only of those points that apply at all and didn't also benefit XB2 is launching in the current situation , but even then, this is no Animal crossing and I hope people aren't thinking it will be.
e.g. On the UK eshop, it's preorders are only at 24th, behind basically all of Nintendos long legged mainstays. It's not doing badly on amazon US/France, but I had to laugh when I looked at how far down the list of amazon uk best sellers too (92nd, right after such hit titles as Little Friends: Dogs & Cats (Nintendo Switch), lol.). Maybe I'm just looking at it from the UK perspective where the country doesn't care much.

(Meanwhile I bought this game digitally and the limited edition, I can't help myself, lol)
Man on the us eshop it's near the bottom of the featured page despite coming out in 2 days, while paper mario is in the 2nd slot of the featured page and that game isn't coming out for 2 months.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I'm surprised about this series metacritic scores, when I heard people talking about it I thought it would rated 90+ at least.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
They made them not look like garbage, I agree with you it's incredible how good they are
They modelled proper faces with moveable eyes and mouths instead of plastering textures that give the illusion of facial features.
I know they look so much better. They did a great job
Yeah it's fantastic how much better they look now.
dR1H9AS.gif

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Let's agree to disagree about the first part though, I definately see a difference on the european Nintendo accounts at least.

I cant imagine anyone actually thinking XC is Animal Crossing so obviously no one is expecting bat shit crazy numbers :P. Still, as per every report out there, game sales breaking records the last few months. Positive impact will obviously happen to XC numbers as well. In what capacity we'll see...

Though a bit surprised you dont agree with the other points - obviously popularity and huge install base could have impact on XC DE, even more so than the install base when XC2 launched. There were less than 10M units sold at the time of XC2 release, now more than 50M

XC has never been put in a situation to succeed before, Wii release for obvious reasons, 3DS release locked to New 3DS and the Wii U digital release.. well it was on the flippin Wii U.

Smash influence is ofc a joker, it might or might not - it's definately not a negative and in no way did it affect XC2 at least.

But whatever, it doesnt matter - it's cool that Nintendo has this much faith in the game at least. I hope it's succesful to =)

Plum

May 31, 2018
My Base.com order won't be here at launch :(

Has anyone ordered digitally with Shopto before? The game's at £40 there compared to £50 on the Eshop so I might go for it. Either that or try going for physical on ShopTo instead.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my final guess is 89.

i don't get the annoyance with the thread going up early, by the way. you can just ignore it until the reviews come (there's a countdown in the OP).

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Has anyone ordered digitally with Shopto before? The game's at £40 there compared to £50 on the Eshop so I might go for it. Either that or try going for physical on ShopTo instead.

Tried TheGameCollection?

I've ordered from there multiple times and I dont even live in the UK. They've never failed me..

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Shopto are super reputable, been using them since 2009

Thegamecollection and simplygames are very good for if you want to get your games a day or two early fyi