• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
SsA0rGI.gif

Didn't see a thread dedicated purely to game load times so here we are. Embargo has lifted on Series X backwards compatible games which is what is being tested by various outlets. Coverage has been limited to these few select outlets right now but I'll update the thread once we get more test results.

This is all without any sort of optimization FYI.

Gamespot:
Red Dead Redemption II

38 seconds on Series X
2 minutes, 8 seconds on One X

Control
10 seconds on Series X
58 seconds on One X

FINAL FANTASY XV
13 seconds on Series X
1 minute, 11 seconds on One X

The Outer Worlds
11 seconds on Series X
43 seconds on One X

These are games with significant load times on current-gen systems so it's great to see this.

The Verge:
Destiny 2
43 seconds on Series X
1 minute, 52 seconds on One X
In Destiny 2, for example, I can now load into a planet in the game in around 30 seconds, compared to over a minute later on an Xbox One X and nearly two minutes in total on a standard Xbox One. These improved load times are identical to my custom-built PC that includes a fast NVMe SSD, and they genuinely transform how you play the game — you can get more quests and tasks done instead of sitting and looking at a planet loading.

Sea of Thieves
20 seconds on Series X
1 minute, 21 seconds on One X

Warframe
25 seconds on Series X
1 minute, 21 seconds on One X

No Man's Sky
1 minute, 27 seconds on Series X
2 minutes, 13 seconds on One X

GamesBeat:
One of the biggest promises of the Xbox Series X is the speed of its SSD, and that is something that developers will take advantage of eventually. But in the meantime, it is a very noticeable upgrade when launching and loading backward-compatible games.

I tested load times in games like Assassin's Creed: Origins, Final Fantasy XV, and No Man's Sky. I did some comparisons versus the internal storage on an Xbox One X, but I also tried external storage on the Series X. And what I found is that the SSD and the Series X's Velocity architecture is always going to save you time.

Loading Final Fantasy XV on the Xbox Series X took around 13 seconds. On the internal storage of the Xbox One X, that same loading sequence required longer than a minute. And this is a game that was not built with the Xbox Series X in mind. This is the result of the improvement to raw data throughput and not anything that is hooking into Velocity.

Other games have similar results. My No Man's Sky save loaded in nearly 30 seconds on the Xbox Series X. On the One X, it loaded in 1 minute and 19 seconds.

Videos:

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Nice.

Did anyone test Monster Hunter World? That game was dreadful with its loading times.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
None of this is going to be that new to people already gaming on SSDs.
We need to wait for actual next gen games to enjoy the real benefits.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Is it bad I'm getting a next gen console strictly to play last gen games with better load times? Playing Destiny 2 just feels so awful to me right now.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
This is all very exciting but I was hoping for a bigger difference with the newer SSD tech. With MS talk of sw optimization in it's IO systems and using NVMe 4 tech, I just thought it would be faster.
Now I'm really curious to see what load times are like on PS5. Too bad we probably wont see this until people have it in their homes.

I actually had a pretty active thread on the old forums about load times with faster hard drives compared to the stock when the PS4 first launched. Was excited for these details.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Huge difference with no optimizations that's impressive. They should have at least a few XGS games that are optimized to show the real difference. There haven't been any 1st party games as far as I know that are confirmed to receive ssd optimization updates only visual updates.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This is all very exciting but I was hoping for a bigger difference with the newer SSD tech. With MS talk of sw optimization in it's IO systems and using NVMe 4 tech, I just thought it would be faster.
Now I'm really curious to see what load times are like on PS5. Too bad we probably wont see this until people have it in their homes.

I actually had a pretty active thread on the old forums about load times with faster hard drives compared to the stock when the PS4 first launched. Was excited for these details.

These seem like pretty substantial differences to me. I'm quite baffled as to what people were expecting.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky, would love to see how the the game runs in both modes with the framerate unlocked on XSX.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I wonder why Gamesbeat's No Man's Sky times are so significantly shorter than The Verge's, on XSX and X1X.

These times are a nice improvement across the board, though many are longer than what I see on the PC side.

Last edited:

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I can't wait to see what they've added to older games... aside from the load times being better.
better draw distance, better lights, more frames, AI HDR or raytracing...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've avoided FF15 largely because of the load times (my daughter was playing it and it seemed like half the time I saw her playing, she was waiting on a load screen).

Also, 2+ minutes for RDR2?! Is that a one-time thing? If it's not, I can't imagine liking a game enough to sit through that. And I'm also shocked that it didn't get docked in reviews for the load times.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

All these times seem pretty awesome to me. And this is without optimizations.

Can't wait.

I want somebody to test SC6 and Tekken 7 personally.

Also samurai Shodown. Loading is atrocious on that.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, these are completely unoptimized BC games. You'll see even better results in games built around taking advantage of the SSD.