• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Looks like 65-80% decreases in load times across the board. Have we EVER had anything this dramatic before? PS2 loading PS1 games was not this good, was it? I don't remembered being wowed by PS3 loading times when running PS2 games either.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Comparison for those that are tracking, on my PS4 Pro with SSD, RDR2 was 48.09 seconds. I can imagine optimization if it happens would shave even more time off on the XSX so should be good for y'all!

Funny side thought... as we all get used to these fast SSD times, they will eventually become "slow" lol...

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned in a lot of the articles, this is really bringing consoles up to speed with PC NVMe speeds which is both great and a little underwhelming, I really hope actual next gen titles can go further.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
MS putting in work and delivering consoles to the press ahead of time.

I think i'll go with MS first this gen.

It's a fantastic piece of kit and an absolute bargain if you like WRPGs.

Out of curiosity, how many games would you say you would normally buy in a year that you would get on gamepass instead?

SoLDieN

Jan 17, 2018
España
SsA0rGI.gif

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Looks like 65-80% decreases in load times across the board. Have we EVER had anything this dramatic before? PS2 loading PS1 games was not this good, was it? I don't remembered being wowed by PS3 loading times when running PS2 games either.

The crazy thing is, like everyone is saying, these are all unoptimized and older BC games. I'd imagine optimized games load near instantly. But yeah, BC is going to be amazing next gen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Preview beta test version of the software on the machines. Public update day one.
So a month to go and they only have 500 ready? Especially a game like GTA. I though BC was just pop the game in.
BC on Xbox One doesn't play off the disc, it downloads the digital version for install. MS probably has fine control over this for the preview units.
So none of their BC is based on just popping a disk in.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
no one is explaining this. They keep saying it's only 500 games but how is this being limited

It is a preview/beta system, obviosly MS can "block" games for running. Actually they (MS) are testing games, I guess that 500 number is for already tested games.

So a month to go and they only have 500 ready?

No? MS is testing BC games, we don't know how old is the "build" of the system that press are testing.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Poor No Man's Sky, I hope Hello Games delivers a next-gen patch soon 😅
Seeing how well they've supported the game since launch I'd say it's almost guaranteed
I wonder why Gamesbeat's No Man's Sky times are so significantly shorter than The Verge's, on XSX and X1X.

These times are a nice improvement across the board, though many are longer than what I see on the PC side.

NMS is structured in a completely different way to most games with regards to loading assets, it's most likely a CPU bound issue here, as the engine constructs the environment/game world through the use of procedural algorithms.

Not saying they can't make improvements with an update, but rather you aren't ever going to see it come close to some of the other titles in that list with regards to % improvements on loads times from the current batch of consoles.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
That's great numbers. It really improves your playtime and surely helps you to make more of your life in general.
I mean look at the wasted time while waiting for a game to load over the course of a whole year for example. It counts in hours if you are a regular player.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
So a month to go and they only have 500 ready? Especially a game like GTA. I though BC was just pop the game in.
I don't think anyone said that, only that they can control what you are allowed to play on a preview firmware. They might have a whitelist of 5 or 500 games that are allowed only, even if there are 5000 total that do work. Whether it's disc, download, BC or whatever method you want.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone said that, only that they can control what you are allowed to play on a preview firmware. They might have a whitelist of 5 or 500 games that are allowed only, even if there are 5000 total that do work. Whether it's disc, download, BC or whatever method you want.
this is not how i understood their BC to work. so this is why i am confused.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
but why can't they just pop a disk in and try it?
this isn't correct.

journalists were provided a list of 1000 guaranteed compatible back-compat games.
if it's on the list they can try it in any way you normally would (buy it via the console store and download it or put a disk in)
they are not allowed to provide the list of games
they apparently can be asked/respond to individual questions about whether a game is on the list

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I assume Series S will see these same benefits? That's the one I'll be getting and it'd be cool to replay these games there

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Most anticipated load time increases:
Forza Horizon series (that first load in is always a huge barrier to me playing a couple of races)
The Division 2 (expect to be playing weekly into March, and the load times are really bad)
The Witcher 3 (never finished the DLC)
Control (haven't jumped in yet, but had heard the load times were atrocious)