• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
User banned (3 days, permanent threadban): Platform warring over a series of posts. Recently received a warning for the same thing.
i wonder what tomorrow's xbox concern thread will be about?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and no disc drive MS have lost me. SX is too much for a secondary console and this just lacks what I need.

It not a budget console when digital games cost so much more than physical.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So you think games will be developed primarily for Series S then ported to Series X, PS5, and PC?
No, games will be developed on PC for performance targets like they always have been.

But ensuring the S version will be acceptable simply has to be a part of development from the start. It can't be an afterthought.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i'm buying a series s because i want it to hold back next-gen games for all of you future X/PS5 owners 😈 /s

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty terrible to have a console built around the idea of ecosystem and BC perform worse in those regards than a system of yours that is already out.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
It's in the OP:

"the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR "
I'd framerate across the board will be rock solid. That will be the main improvement I would imagine.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, to play BC 360 games on the Series S - you must have bought it digitally at the time.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, games will be developed on PC for performance targets like they always have been.

But ensuring the S version will be acceptable simply has to be a part of development from the start. It can't be an afterthought.
but thats the thing, the s isnt that weak when you consider its rendering 1/4th the resalution the xsx is, and the cpu is only slightly weaker.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
It would be great if MS could work some backwards compatibility magic to get those grimy 720-900p games up to 1080p. The few times I did go back and play a non X-enhanced game on my One X it was really rough.

Also wonder if we'll be getting Series S patches for any recent current gen games.

I guess to be fair, what this really affects is 3rd party games with no dynamic resolution (first party games weren't as bad on base Xbox One). The target market for this console is base Xbox One owners, who already lived with that experience for their old games and for one reason or another are opting out of the extra cost of Series X, and PS4 owners, who still have their PS4/5 to play their old 3rd party games and are buying the Xbox for the exclusives.

If they could bumped the resolution of backcompat games it would be awesome but damn the work for the engineering team.

I had a blast with my One X and I will have a great time with Series X but these consoles are already appealing to Xbox enthusiasts, the S is for newcomers, casual or leaning towards Sony or Nintendo.

But marketing will do the job for mass market I guess, I will never forget the dude I met who just bought a One S at a low price when it released, saying he could play 4k because the box said 4k and the Gamestop seller told him so, called me a moron when I said "no you just have a UHD player but your Fifa still will be low res, you have to wait for the Scorpio later and way more expansive". Still hurts. Thank god he had a crapy TV and was sure to have 4k greatness.

Jul 10, 2020

Right that's what most developers are probably unhappy with. Just extra wordload on top of everything else.
It's not that porting down is a problem (in most cases)
it's the person hours, workload, testing, everything that goes with adding an extra SKU on top of already tight deadlines.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, this is how any game ever is developed though. You always need to consider the platform requirements. We all know developers aren't too pleased about working with Xbox One or PS4, when developing games for the One X, PS4 Pro, or PC.

My point was that there is no chance games are developed primarily for Series S. But sure, I agree it will be part of the overall design constraints.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
yup also the "budget console" is more powerful than most gaming pcs, but hay.
Lol

tenor.gif

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One was designed for 4k displays the other is not, how do you expect it to display a 4k image when 1440p is its highest resolution?

It is pretty damned simple and logical when you think about it. X1X was about adding sheer brute force to the X1 to allow real 4K gaming ahead of its time.

Series S has a completely different design goal and 4K lastgen gaming isn't part of that.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
You're purposely focusing on the wrong things cause you have no point to make. The point is there are gamepass games that will look and run better on the 2017 xbox machine than the 2020 xbox machine. People have every right to point that out.

Eh, sort of. 1X will get 4K that the Series S doesn't or occasionally have a 60 FPS mode that the Series S doesn't. But Series S will get faster load times in every game, more stable framerates in some games, and auto HDR that the 1X won't get.

So with the exception of a handful of titles with 60 FPS modes on 1X that aren't getting Series S patches (seriously, this is probably about 10 games), every game will run better on Series S even before accounting for "Optimized" titles. And depending on how you feel about resolution vs HDR "look better" will be case by case.

If someone cares a lot about resolution and having best of the best, Series X is right over there. Otherwise S seems like a pretty good experience at $300.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Thought about one of the rare cases where one S version had an uncapped framerate (i think). Monster Hunter World. So playing in back compat mode on Series S would net you the resolution cap of 864p (1536X864) but we might see 60fps considering its uncapped framerate?

Yup, that's why I'm looking forward to more DF comparison videos when they revisit some titles.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

yeah this is project management 101 stuff lol. Have to plan and scope for all your targets, and then plan is based on what gives the same experience to all players across the board and then you can decide what can stay in and what can stay out based on all your targets that you have.

The less targets you have the more features you can plan for.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't expect resolution and framerate bumps for base xbox one games on Series S.

Oh, there will be a sampling of games that had dynamic resolutions that now no longer drop resolution during load, and there will be a good amount of games that have more consistent framerates (see stuff like Mass Effect Trilogy on any X1...runs smoother than on any 360).

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
People do but it's definitely not you. If you listened to literally ANY of their marketing. The Series X is the BASELINE. That's the console you develop for. You then scale down to the Series S. Just because you ignore that and want to spread your narrative doesn't make it true

I wouldn't be so sure. It's going to differ from game to game and the number of "A"s on your office door but making videogames is hard, harder than any of us give the people who are making them credit for and to make matters worse games have to be finished on a tight budget and in a tight schedule. Series X won't have a problem running Series S games at 4K if they scale like current high end AAA PC games, Series X games running on Series S will need a number of adjustments in addition to a reduction in rendering resolution which takes more time, more manpower and more budget to accomplish.

Considering all those factors it seems like a reasonable and economic descision to target Series S and then take that game with the exact same assets and run it in 4K on Series X. I'm sure that even before we account for unit sales of each Xbox Series console model a lot of devs will choose Series S as their target platform. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it means that you get the best Series S game you can get and that 4k enhusiasts get Series X games running in native 4K at rock solid framerates.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I'm not asking for 1440p. Just wondering if it'll be able to do 1080p at 60fps like X1X?
No, I'm not asking about the Series X. I'm wondering if New Lucky's Tale will match the 60fps it can do one One X on Series S.

Just trying to figure out if I've misinterpreted this news. I'm not looking for big BC enhancements, was just hoping XBO games could perform at One X levels.
Sorry, that was a typo on my part. The Series S should be able to do 1440/120fps. It depends on how you define better. Series S, higher framerates. One X, higher resolution. I can tell you that though that 1440/120 will look better than 4k/60 if your TV or monitor can handle that high of a frame rate. 4K just isn't worth the performance hit.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah DF basically confirmed this, it's got less (something) than the one X so it it wouldn't be possible

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft will probably ultimately patch like ALL of their X1 first party games except Sunset Overdrive must stay in the 900p jail, lol.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah DF basically confirmed this, it's got less (something) than the one X so it it wouldn't be possible

We knew this back in December 2019 when the Github leaks happened.

Also, for the higher and more consistent framerates:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next-Gen Console with Thousands of Games at Launch - Xbox Wire

[Update 9/14/20: We’re happy to share that backward compatible titles will be coming to Xbox Series S as well as Xbox Series X. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of...

With all of the additional power and advancements of the Xbox Series X, the compatibility team now has a veritable playground of new capabilities to innovate and push the limits of game preservation and enhancement. The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators. We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

Expect to see some x1 game's fps doubled on the Xss via patches from the BC team.

I am also confident 360 games will be 1440p via the Heutchy method.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't expect resolution and framerate bumps for base xbox one games on Series S.
Gears 5 was shown off at 120. I expect MS to do the same magic as they did for BC on the Series S. Hell, a locked 30 or 60 will be a massive improvement on base Xbox games, even without at framerate increases etc. Add to that the super fast loading etc. If someone has a base Xbox and wants a more up to date option, Series S is that option.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, there will be a sampling of games that had dynamic resolutions that now no longer drop resolution during load, and there will be a good amount of games that have more consistent framerates (see stuff like Mass Effect Trilogy on any X1...runs smoother than on any 360).

That is true, Xbox One version of Control will again be a 900p30 on Series S, bit this time Zen2+RDNA2 will iron out performance problems easily.

Gears 5 was shown off at 120.
Some games will of course get special attention by devs, but that will be rare.

Oct 25, 2017
the amount of people that believe this is "just 4k" being lost is staggering. Have you not watched a single Xbox One X versus S digital foundry?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It'll run Arkham Knight at least as well as your One X does, now in HDR. Not that that's necessarily worth much. It still kills me that Arkham Knight never got a One X enhancement, even considering the One X 'enhancement' that Return to Arkham got.
Yeah, I get the benefits and at the price, I'm not mad at MS or anything like that. Think I got my expectations just slightly higher than I should have. Just harder to justify a series X given the immediate titles, so I'll probably wait a little longer and enjoy halo on the one X for now. Feel you regarding Arkham. Downloaded it the other day to start a fresh play through and it was rougher looking than I expected.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. It's going to differ from game to game and the number of "A"s on your office door but making videogames is hard, harder than any of us give the people who are making them credit for and to make matters worse games have to be finished on a tight budget and in a tight schedule. Series X won't have a problem running Series S games at 4K if they scale like current high end AAA PC games, Series X games running on Series S will need a number of adjustments in addition to a reduction in rendering resolution which takes more time, more manpower and more budget to accomplish.

Considering all those factors it seems like a reasonable and economic descision to target Series S and then take that game with the exact same assets and run it in 4K on Series X. I'm sure that even before we account for unit sales of each Xbox Series console model a lot of devs will choose Series S as their target platform. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it means that you get the best Series S game you can get and that 4k enhusiasts get Series X games running in native 4K at rock solid framerates.
Maybe for Xbox only games but not multiplats

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I see a lot of folks asking for this in the current gen (not wanting automatic 4K applied at the One X level in exchange for performance), so I kinda like this approach, especially for games like Remnant where you don't have a choice. Curious to see how current-gen games run on this thing, even though I'm opting for a Series X.
Not to get too lost in the fringe examples, because for the most part, games that got One X enhancements are going to look worse on XSS, but there are some interesting fringe cases.

Like, Halo 5 say, where the 1X enhanced version actually has worse texture filtering than how Halo 5 ran on the 1X before it was enhanced for it. That game on XSS is likely going to resolve *more* texture detail at 1080p in many cases and run with HDR, compared to the Native 4K, HDR lacking One X enhanced version. Depending on how much you like HDR, I could see people preferring that game on XSS over X1X. Personally I thought it looked better at 4K native, over how it looked pre enhancement on the 1X, but HDR could potentially sway me.

I'm not bored enough to go through all the X1X games to figure out all the fringe cases, vs the huge differences, and I suspect there'll be far more games where the differences go well beyond resolution over the fringe cases like Return to Arkham (that One X enhanced version is *so* *fucking* *bad*. 1080p. 45 fps cap. Compared to 1080p DRS, with, I believe, unlocked framerate on the One S), but this stuff is fascinating to me.

But yeah, I guess I should stress once more, if you're seriously considering the Series S, check if the games had One X support and what it did. Check if they had HDR. If you've got a One X and a 4K HDR set, I wouldn't recommend buying the Series S if backwards compatibility matters to you as a rule of thumb, but it's going to come down to the games you're planning on revisiting.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
The console has a higher tflop/pixel ratio than either SX or Ps5. Memory could be a concern if the dev isn't using the SSD tools, but in that case even SX or Ps5 would have issues too.

Though I was specifically talking about the BC situation hindering anything.

How many ROPS XSS has to calculate pixel fill-rate?

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It hinders things because pretty much every developer will have to keep the machine in mind when developing a series X game. This also affects all next gen multi-platform PS5 games. I think it's unfortunate. Microsoft's desire to "undercut" Sony, and to sell a machine as cheaply as possible to increase their GP subs, will now be a graphical anchor for the next 5+ years, and will compromise game scope and ambition in innumerable ways that we can't even imagine.

Some design decisions simply can't scale down easily, and now its quite probably those decisions won't be made to begin with, because of the existence of this machine.
Yeah yeah, same concern over and over again despite many people and devs have clarified it.

But hey, once you repeat a lie a million times, it will become the truth to you

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
but thats the thing, the s isnt that weak when you consider its rendering 1/4th the resalution the xsx is, and the cpu is only slightly weaker.
The CPU is essentially the same between the X, S, and PS5. That's largely a non-factor.

The RAM differences are the biggest issue here, and then the GPU. Resolution will not nearly cover the whole delta in many or most cases.

Worrying about the S massively holding back the other systems' potential is largely hyperbole, but at the same time discounting the complications it introduces or thinking it will be an afterthought in development (unless it completely bombs) is just not realistic. The S will be the new baseline performance profile developers need to keep in mind when developing games, just like the original Xbox One was.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I think I wrongly assumed Series S was actually more capable than One X.
Well if that's the case Series S makes absolutely no sense in my life.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not to get too lost in the fringe examples, because for the most part, games that got One X enhancements are going to look worse on XSS, but there are some interesting fringe cases.

Like, Halo 5 say, where the 1X enhanced version actually has worse texture filtering than how Halo 5 ran on the 1X before it was enhanced for it. That game on XSS is likely going to resolve *more* texture detail at 1080p in many cases and run with HDR, compared to the Native 4K, HDR lacking One X enhanced version. Depending on how much you like HDR, I could see people preferring that game on XSS over X1X. Personally I thought it looked better at 4K native, over how it looked pre enhancement on the 1X, but HDR could potentially sway me.

I'm not bored enough to go through all the X1X games to figure out all the fringe cases, vs the huge differences, and I suspect there'll be far more games where the differences go well beyond resolution over the fringe cases like Return to Arkham (that One X enhanced version is *so* *fucking* *bad*. 1080p. 45 fps cap. Compared to 1080p DRS, with, I believe, unlocked framerate on the One S), but this stuff is fascinating to me.

But yeah, I guess I should stress once more, if you're seriously considering the Series S, check if the games had One X support and what it did. Check if they had HDR. If you've got a One X and a 4K HDR set, I wouldn't recommend buying the Series S if backwards compatibility matters to you as a rule of thumb, but it's going to come down to the games you're planning on revisiting.
All good points.
That said I think the amount of people who own One X's looking at next gen and thinking Series S over Series X is very slim. So for some it'll suck, but for the majority of the targetted base it's not an issue.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Huh... that really was the only reason i was kind of interested. Well, there's still the Xbox and 360 BC itself which I'm into

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, this is how any game ever is developed though. You always need to consider the platform requirements. We all know developers aren't too pleased about working with Xbox One or PS4, when developing games for the One X, PS4 Pro, or PC.

My point was that there is no chance games are developed primarily for Series S. But sure, I agree it will be part of the overall design constraints.
If the Series S is a runaway success, yes it's very possible that will become the prime develop target profile, at least in some cases. Developers need to ensure their largest market will have a good experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.