• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today, we're witnessing a record-setting number of players, playing at record levels, and engaging in new ways. Xbox Live players are up 13 percent and Xbox One sales are up 15 percent over the same period last year, but that's not all. We've seen more than 600,000 friendships forged with the Looking For Group feature and there are now more than 1.2 million Clubs on Xbox Live.

This is one of the first updates we have gotten for console sales from Microsoft in a while- it seems to back up the NPD Group's point that Xbox One X has drive renewed interest in Xbox 9that, plus I have to imagine aggressive pricing on One S, plus the release of a high profile exclusive, plus their continued service initiatives such as 4K backward compatibility, have something to do with it).

SOURCE

Technically this is gotten from the "Road to E3" update that there already is a thread for, but I figured that discussion for the sales performance of the console is significant enough (especially given how rarely we get any update on sales from Microsoft), plus different enough from the general E3 focused discussion, that it deserved its own spin off thread. Mods, please feel free to lock it if you feel the other thread is enough!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is that dollar value or numbers?

Because if it's the former that's the X putting in the work surely.

Anyway, good news.

Oct 27, 2017
I contributed with a Xbox One X plus some games/subscriptions

I really hope MS can land some attractive games to the consoles (brownie points from me if the do more JRPGs)

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news, seems like we are finally at a point where Sony, MS, and Nintendo all have carved out a certain type of audience and all of them are selling hardware and games.

2018 is gonna be great for the industry.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox one X and gamepass start turning the tide.
We can see the VP Spencer vision very clear and effecting now.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox one X and gamepass start turning the tide.
We can see the VP Spencer vision very clear and effecting now.

I really think the tide started turning with the Xbox One S, and dropping the original X1/kinect. The X and Gamepass stuff have just taken that momentum and helped boost it even more

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
US sales are up by almost 40% YOY so that will mean ROTW sales are down.

Makes sense as the US has seen a ton of promotions on the S and free game deals with the X.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
I read this as Xbox One X sales are 15% of total Xbox sales. And considering a number of X sales are going to double dipping whales, that's not really a big growth in footprint for Xbox.

Ultimately Microsoft is going to continue with their business strategy this gen, minimise investment in first party titles because no point running out loss leaders when you have lost the gen, do work like backwards compatibility to build the brand and then have all your studios work on launch titles and overinvest in next gen so you don't get destroyed like this gen.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
That's good. I want them to do good.

I'm not expecting the XB1 ship to turn around completely, but I'm thinking MS have some good AA games/Fable and a couple of good iterations of their main 3 in the pipeline for the One before they switch to the Xbox Two.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Awesome news, seems like we are finally at a point where Sony, MS, and Nintendo all have carved out a certain type of audience and all of them are selling hardware and games.

2018 is gonna be great for the industry.
Yeah it's pretty cool. All the good stuff Microsoft has been doing pushed me to buy an Xbox one. It's been since the original Xbox since I've had the desire to own one.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
US sales are up by almost 40% YOY so that will mean ROTW sales are down.

Makes sense as the US has seen a ton of promotions on the S and free game deals with the X.

What would that put Xbox US:WW ratio? Evidently the US is carrying majority of the weight but even that has its limits.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Tax season combined with insane deals on the One X (which wasn't there last year) probably helped a lot with that.

I don't think I've seen really any deals on PS4 models but I always see Xbox One S bundles going pretty cheap, usually with a game too. They've really been pushing it all year along with spreading out their first party titles so there's always something new to market. They may not have a God of War type of exclusive but they're not letting consumers forget Xbox One isn't still around.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
So, MS PR spinning again?

Not actually spinning, just a meaningless statistic without the base value. Basically, they probably didn't grow that much since their yearly base sales were already relatively low, from what people have gathered in sales thread, but this way they just throw a number out there, and no one will ever know what that actually means in units.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think I've seen really any deals on PS4 models but I always see Xbox One S bundles going pretty cheap, usually with a game too. They've really been pushing it all year along with spreading out their first party titles so there's always something new to market. They may not have a God of War type of exclusive but they're not letting consumers forget Xbox One isn't still around.
PS4 is still outselling the Xbox One every month in the US.

They don't need deals.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS4 pro destiny 2 bundle was 200 at target for quite a while. Think it's all gone now

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a year ago people were saying either the X would be canceled or the X would be their last console and yet....

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
How dare Microsoft not spell this out. They know EXACTLY what they're doing
They aren't going to do a region breakdown and they aren't wrong. US sales are just over performing which bring total sales up.

What would that put Xbox US:WW ratio? Evidently the US is carrying majority of the weight but even that has its limits.
This year? Over 60%, around 70% of total sales would be coming from the US. This will go down over time as the US doesn't have any deals right now. Microsoft need to figure out how to boost sales elsewhere as I'm assuming the bigger European countries are why total YOY growth isn't bigger.

I see. Thanks! Well, good for them. Anyway i don't see anywhere word "outpacing" 360 like before. How XOne stands against X360 in same-time frame?
Xbox One is approaching 37M sold through. Xbox 360 shipments at the end of March 2010 was 40.3M. I would guess it's +2M behind the 360 in shipments right now, closing in on a 3M gap.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I know this figure is accurate but where did we get it? I remember ZhugeEX saying it was at that number recently too
The end of 2017 can be estimated to be ~35M going off NPD figures. All an assumption but it's the best we have.

Where did you get 37m?
Sales so far this year are above 1M. How much so depends on if Microsoft are talking about this year up to March or April. Assuming 2017 LTD sales were ~35M, right now sales would be over 36M, closing in on 37M.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
A shame their sales are up, because investors are going to shut down Xbox any second if they learned anything from God of War.

On topic, I count myself among the number with renewed interest in Xbox because of the One X. I always preferred the console's features, and it's nice to have a 4K console that doesn't scream like my game room is a Hostel torture chamber when it tries to run high-end games.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. The last Xbox sold nearly 40M in the second half of its life span??? That's insane.
Xbox 360 shipments at the end of 2009: 38.8M (17 quarters)
Xbox 360 shipments at the end of 2013: 82.9M (16 quarters later)

That's an additional 44.1M units. Xbox 360 would go on to sell another ~5M units after 2013 as well.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it up like almost 40% in the US YoY? Up 15% WW would mean it is way down everywhere else. That would mean their audience is becoming even more US focused. It was already their primary market but I was under the impression they were trying to gain market share WW not cede it even more than in the past. I doubt they are happy about their performance in other markets at all.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360 shipments at the end of 2009: 38.8M (17 quarters)
Xbox 360 shipments at the end of 2013: 82.9M (16 quarters later)

That's an additional 44.1M units. Xbox 360 would go on to sell another ~5M units after 2013 as well.

There's literally no way Xbox One gets that, but I'd love it if they sold 50M. I'm a Sony fanboy but fuck...Sony needs competition otherwise it does dumb shit like make a six hundred dollar console. Competition makes things better for all of us.