• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year? Over 60%, around 70% of total sales would be coming from the US.

This is considerably higher than I remember it being not too long ago. I seem to recall the percentage was about 55% Xbox sales came from the US (whether that percentage came from last gen or earlier in this one, I can't remember). Now it's nearly 70%.

That's quite a jump. Any thoughts as to why?

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
This is considerably higher than I remember it being not too long ago. I seem to recall the percentage was about 55% Xbox sales came from the US (whether that percentage came from last gen or earlier in this one, I can't remember). Now it's nearly 70%.

That's quite a jump. Any thoughts as to why?
It means Americans are the only ones still supporting the brand in a big way

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
MS does not provide actual unit numbers for hardware, haven't in years.

If things were going so well, Microsoft wouldn't have to come up with all those metrics to 'prove how well they're doing', yet avoiding the one that matters the most.

Just give us sales breakdown (and then how many people were connected at the same time last night, or insert random metrics).

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Good for them. Console wise, the Xbox One has really improved since launch, and I just hope that Microsoft has been actually making all those investments into software they've been talking about.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
If things were going so well, Microsoft wouldn't have to come up with all those metrics to 'prove how well they're doing', yet avoiding the one that matters the most.

Just give us sales breakdown (and then how many people were connected at the same time last night, or insert random metrics).

But why would they do that? They don't have anything to lump those numbers in with so they can't do like Sony with "PlayStation Family" numbers. It's either Xbox One numbers or nothing and while it would be nice for people like us that are interested there's no way they are going to report low numbers.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
But why would they do that? They don't have anything to lump those numbers in with so they can't do like Sony with "PlayStation Family" numbers. It's either Xbox One numbers or nothing and while it would be nice for people like us that are interested there's no way they are going to report low numbers.

But that's my point.
Yes the numbers are up (*cough Xbox One X was released *cough*), but low numbers are still low numbers.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good! At this point in the lifecycle projections are usually going down. This also with the high engagement means that more people are buying Xboxes and playing the hell out of them which is awesome.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
As long as the numbers keep going up then I'm happy for them, but I sincerely hope this continuous upturn in revenue would lead to some reinvestment in their first party output.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Please don't put any positive lines in here. The thread makes it clear that this is generally bad for Xbox. On a serious note, yes, according to Welfare which, no matter how you put it, is quite impressive.
Yep, but I wasn't aware and I only can find that kind of growth for March (44%). If they are up a 40% for the quarter that is BIG.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, but I wasn't aware and I only can find that kind of growth for March (44%). If they are up a 40% for the quarter that is BIG.
Sounds more like revenue, since xbone hasn't won an npd in unit sales in recent times. How much more expensive is the xox compared to the xo in percentage terms?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't put any positive lines in here. The thread makes it clear that this is generally bad for Xbox. On a serious note, yes, according to Welfare which, no matter how you put it, is quite impressive.

It's probably better the context goes in here rather than spinning off into an "XBOX down 20% ROTW, Switch eating lunch" thread. Ignoring all the fanboy stuff, it's always good to see users like Welfare do their thing with The Power of Maths(tm). It's just more raw information for them to tweak their models.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
Well, last month it was 44% up in sales, I don't know for the other 2 months. Winning NPD is not exactly a metric. You can be 2nd or 3rd all year and still have a super healthy growth.
It is up 44% compared to the month of March 2017 (if I read correctly). It sounds like revenue rather than unit increase, due to the 50%+ more expensive xox. If Microsoft is only concerned about MAUs, they are not getting a significant increase.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Sweeping generalizations towards other users
Good to see them numbers growing. It's also therapeutic to see other consoles' fanboys come in and shitpost the thread about Microsoft lying, spinning, etc.. Imagine being so invested in a company you have to insult another one if it reports positive news. Imagine that.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The one that matters most is not console sales, it's revenue and profit.

And it took them until 2013 to realize that they didn't need to provide console sales (weird how everyone else is doing it but ok), right when the console couldn't keep up with the ps4 anymore?

What an interesting coincidence.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
unit sales contribute to potential MAUs, not revenue (from hardware).

MAUs is what matters most, right?

And it took them until 2013 to realize that they didn't need to provide console sales (weird how everyone else is doing it but ok), right when the console couldn't keep up with the ps4 anymore?

It doesn't matter what their reasoning is, revenue and profit are at the end of the day the most important numbers. Where that comes from is irrelevant. Console sales bring in revenue but not much, if any, profit.

Oct 27, 2017
The one that matters most is not console sales, it's revenue and profit.

Yes but these things are obviously highly correlated, especially when so much revenue comes from things like XBox Live/PS+ which almost by definition are one per customer. Console makers have sold their hardware at break even point or even at a loss since the beginning of time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to any business ever. Nobody wants to boast the fact their concurrence is doing better numbers or that they had better years, they'll concentrate on the positive numbers come such revelations. Not sure why (besides console warz) this is only an issue when Microsoft does it. Did Nintendo announce "guys we're selling like shit" when Wii U was flopping? Did they go "oh fuck this piece of trash is not selling as fast as the DS" when the 3DS wasn't gaining traction? Did Sony boast they were being murdered by Wii and Xbox 360 come PS3 launch? Did they keep you updated on how much the 3DS is destroying the PS Vita in terms of sales? No, none of these things happened, because when you're talking numbers to shareholders, you're trying to paint a positive picture regardless. And despite what a lot of people want to believe, Microsoft isn't failing: their gaming division is profittable, and they are still breaking some records, even though Xbox One is not selling as fast as Xbox 360 did, nor as much as PS4 is doing.

Mar 10, 2018
I just find it amusing that I always find you in the same threads even though you've been banned before.

Good to see them numbers growing. It's also therapeutic to see other consoles' fanboys come in and shitpost the thread about Microsoft lying, spinning, etc.. Imagine being so invested in a company you have to insult another one if it reports positive news. Imagine that.

Problem for you two?
It is a some sort of spin actually when you giving percentages comparing to...... leaked numbers in NPD threads? Calling someone fanboy because MS gave numbers without showing from where growth came?

Last edited:

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As for the people keep saying, Xbox is preaching to the converted right now. If consolidating their market share in the US is their goal they are hitting it admirably, but at the cost of giving up ROTW is not without risk

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
cost of giving up ROTW

to give up something denotes you actually possess it in some point in time....

don't think Xbox is ever a factor in the ROTW if you take earth as a whole.

the xbox brand is akin to the PC Engine brand back in the early 90s.....super strong in its native land but a non-factor is most of the world. Granted, Xbox is also pretty popular in UK and a few other countries than PC engine's 'japan only' fate...but i think you get the jeez.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
to give up something denotes you actually possess it in some point in time....

don't think Xbox is ever a factor in the ROTW if you take earth as a whole.

the xbox brand is akin to the PC Engine brand back in the early 90s.....super strong in its native land but a non-factor is most of the world. Granted, Xbox is also pretty popular in UK and a few other countries than PC engine's 'japan only' fate...but i think you get the jeez.

Last generation the 360 made inroads ROTW.

The performance of the Xbox one is closer to the OG Xbox, just far more profitable.

It's ultimately a gamble that the US and UK will keep continuing to carry Xbox over every other region. A gamble that is still worrying because despite it's growth, the Xbox one is still being outsold by a competition that hasn't really been all that aggressive price wise in comparison.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
Do you expect Phil Spencer to report division profit on a blog post about E3? The guy is cheering that Xbox has done well this quarter, to hype a bit people for the E3, that's it.
Teh potential says nothing else matters than profit, so everything else is irrelevant whenever we try to discuss numbers. So, why bother if no one is reporting actual profits?

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Given the boost YoY in the US brought by the combo of 1X, PUBG console exclusive, high profile releases with SoT and the upcoming SoD2, plus ongoing sales (1S easily found @ $229), I was expecting more than a global +15% YoY given how bad sales were in early 2017...
Rotw sales must be pretty low...

Yep, the whole first half of 2017 had some incredibly low sales for Xbox One (we know that from the NPD leak), so up 15% from that is not impressive, even more so when it's solely being held up by one market and declining everywhere else.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Teh potential says nothing else matters than profit, so everything else is irrelevant whenever we try to discuss numbers. So, why bother if no one is reporting actual profits?
The user you were answering said that where is revenue and profit coming is irrelevant, not that anything but profit is irrelevant. Anyway the Spencer post is what it is, he's not dissecting financial data of Gaming Division, he's cheering some positive data. It seems like Microsoft can't give any positive data because Sony is selling more, this is exhausting.

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, the whole first half of 2017 had some incredibly low sales for Xbox One (we know that from the NPD leak), so up 15% from that is not impressive, even more so when it's solely being held up by one market and declining everywhere else.

Post like this makes me wonder when can MS really talk about anything that might seem positive. Feels like it it's not something truly amazing then they are better off keeping it to themselves in some ppl eyes.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post like this makes me wonder when can MS really talk about anything that might seem positive. Feels like it it's not something truly amazing then they are better off keeping it to themselves in some ppl eyes.
I think the recovery is positive, and that they are focusing reinforcing in their homeground although that has lead to less WW sales (sans US).

My opinion is if we are to see any really positive news for Xbox, it will come with during next gen. Now it's time for them to rebuild the brand.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They're 15% up in a period where they've had the worst first party lineup since Xbox first became a thing in 2001, and during that same period we've seen Switch launching and PS4 receiving high profile exclusives, stealing significant mindshare from Xbox. Really, it's not bad at all when you look at the bigger picture. At least they're going up, and not down. I expect they'll see bigger growth this year between a likely X price drop, Game Pass maturing and more investment following their recent structural changes