• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Also holy god play Asura's Wrath if you haven't. Make sure to cop the ending DLC too. Amazing experience

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It makes me wonder whether all the XB1 titles will be rendered with 4 times the resolution as an inherent part of BC on Scarlette.
Yeah I bet they'll be able to have a bigger relative improvement for Xbox One games on Scarlett than we saw for 360 games on Xbox One. There's not the same challenge of getting the game to run on a different architecture, so just getting the games to run in the first place won't present as much of a challenge.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Sad about the Xbox BC program ending. I am happy to have so much of my 360 library available to play on my Xbox One, so kudos to the BC team for all their hard work the past few years.

I don't have a lot of games in this final batch, but at least I have my most requested one: Puzzle Fighter HD.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It is really too soon to axe BC. I hope that means every XBO game (including 360 and og XB) will be 4k on Scarlet and they resume adding legacy games to bc next year.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
does anyone have a link for the splinter cell games on the european store? it says i need a code to download them.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Shame that they've ended so prematurely, i mean its like a whole 18 months before the next system hits and then who's to say there'll be BC games at launch!?,could be a few good months after release before we see some new BC games :(.

I would of liked them to have done a poll for the last week of releases giving the community their say on what the last maybe 5 BC Xbox 360 games would have been, that would of been a great send off.

Just a shame we never got the likes of Max Payne 3, PGR 4, Forza 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Lollipop Chainsaw, Wet, Ridge Racer 6, Condemned 2, Timesplitters 2, Buffy Vampire Slayer, Wreckless, Otogi 2, Midtown Madness 3, Rallisport Challenge 2, Sega GT 2002, burnout 3 etc and damn was the OG Xbox list a bit disappointing in the end.

I just hope this means as there taking so much time implementing this feature into the Scarlet that it will allow OG Xbox and 360 disc to be inserted and just played with maybe enhanced patches released if they can get the rights sorted out for those games!

But all that said we did get some GREAT games, so thank you MS for that!!!

EDIT: I wonder if by the time we see BC games again if the PC OG XBox & Xbox 360 emulators will be in a good place where its better than what the Xbox One did!??

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Also anyone thinks its a bit odd to get Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb?, i mean there must have been some licensing deals to sort out......was it even regarded as a good game??. Im just bitter we didnt get the first Buffy game instead

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Also anyone thinks its a bit odd to get Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb?, i mean there must have been some licensing deals to sort out......was it even regarded as a good game??. Im just bitter we didnt get the first Buffy game instead
I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that LucasArts (Disney) has been a large number of the original Xbox games made available.

From this update, Armed & Dangerous is also LA, iirc.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'd just like for them to confirm in no uncertain terms that 360 and OG games will eventually resume new arrivals on Scarlett. That's a future for the program I can live with rather than this uncertainty of whether these will be the last games released before the Xbox One generation that will become compatible ever again.

They've said their efforts will continue on new hardware. I don't know how much more certain you need it to be.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 06 left in the past like it deserves.

Kinda wish we could have gotten the OG Xbox version of Sonic Heroes though.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the games to give for free they pick Too Human. Now that was a grind to get 1000. I might fire it up and help people with achievements, as I have some rare items I could just give people.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Xbox original BC seemed like such a wasted opportunity. I mean everyone seemed to want Jet Set Radio Future, for instance.

Nov 1, 2017
Posted this point in another thread but putting it here too.

Hopefully they're working on the Scarlett being able to emulate older disks outright instead of downloading new code- would make sense right? Otherwise they're going to have to do this testing hundreds of back compat games each console cycle.

And hopefully doing it that way can bypass any licensing issues with older games...

This. I've said a similar thing elsewhere, this needs to be the direction they go in. No more relying on publishers to not get greedy and deny games from the BC programme because they wanna port and sell them again (Capcom i'm looking at you). And then of course all the games with soundtracks that make it unfeasible to renegotiate the deals just for a release that might not bring in much revenue.

I'm honestly surprised that this isn't how it went down for the OG Xbox games. I can appreciate that 360 games are harder to emulate and it might not been as simple as just building one emulator version that works for all of them but I can't imagine OG Xbox should have been that difficult to do. Perhaps it was down to a system limitation from the way the XB1 always needs to run games from internal storage rather than straight off the disc, who knows.

What Scarlett needs is a standalone app, one for Xbox, one for 360 that will either run games directly from disc or just copies it to the internal storage, nothing that needs downloading or approval.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I appreciate what they've done for BC. Some people just want the world, I guess

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This. I've said a similar thing elsewhere, this needs to be the direction they go in. No more relying on publishers to not get greedy and deny games from the BC programme because they wanna port and sell them again (Capcom i'm looking at you). And then of course all the games with soundtracks that make it unfeasible to renegotiate the deals just for a release that might not bring in much revenue.

I'm honestly surprised that this isn't how it went down for the OG Xbox games. I can appreciate that 360 games are harder to emulate and it might not been as simple as just building one emulator version that works for all of them but I can't imagine OG Xbox should have been that difficult to do. Perhaps it was down to a system limitation from the way the XB1 always needs to run games from internal storage rather than straight off the disc, who knows.

What Scarlett needs is a standalone app, one for Xbox, one for 360 that will either run games directly from disc or just copies it to the internal storage, nothing that needs downloading or approval.

discs are two gens ago really. we aren't going back to disc drive emu. They will be focusing on everything being digital from here on out, especially with xCloud.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask out of the blue, but what is my best option of getting Psychonauts on BC if I'm based in the UK?
The prices of disks on Ebay and Amazon are absurd, and for some reason it's not available digital in my region. Is there an easy way around this? I'm a Game Pass Ultimate sub too if that helps any.
Thanks in advance.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
discs are two gens ago really. we aren't going back to disc drive emu. They will be focusing on everything being digital from here on out, especially with xCloud.
Nearly everyones OG Xbox and 360 collections sit on discs. Phils whole message has been allowing you to play your old games, so I wouldn't outrule it entirely.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Really wish we would have gotten Freedom Fighters BC on the Xbox One! I need to figure out if/how I can play that on Windows 10 I suppose.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
glad Enslaved and Syndicate made it in the end. Sucks it's ending, but I think they did a great job (I'm still a little high that NGII came as X enhanced lol...so good!).

Sure I'll download Too Human and give it another shot. I loved the world but hated the gameplay, the combat just felt so "tedious" to me. I remember finishing it (I wanted to feel like I was "allowed" to talk shit on it so I finished it) but I don't seem to have any achievements signifying that for some reason.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I mean like half of the OG games are games I've never seen anyone ask for. They got what they could license I guess. Never heard of Armed and Dangerous before yesterday tbh. It looks awful too

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Xbox original BC seemed like such a wasted opportunity. I mean everyone seemed to want Jet Set Radio Future, for instance.

JSRF was always an unlikely longshot due to licensing, specifically the soundtrack, as was most of the racing games people bring up. I love JSRF but I never expected it to come to the program and those who did were daydreamers. Now someone is going to think "Nobody thought Too Human had a chance either" but in reality the situation there involved far fewer parties (and potential money) than something that had multiple artists, labels, or car companies in it.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017

No thanks this sounds awful, I like that each bc game behaves like a real xbox one game even if it slightly bloats the file sizes. I've no doubt that all xbox one games will run on scarlet+ without needing publishers permission just the 360 /ogxbox licenses weren't written with this in mind.

Oct 27, 2017
They've said their efforts will continue on new hardware. I don't know how much more certain you need it to be.

I believe you but could you link to where that was said? Was it at some point in the video, written on an official page, a Jason Ronald tweet maybe? I'd just like to see the words for myself.

For everyone else, since this is the last drop for more than a year, which of your most requested games were named in yesterday's wave?

For me, part of the reason I was more disappointed than most others here was that there were too few games among the list that truly mattered to me or I wished to own, notably the complete lack of Japanese games from the 8 OG games. This stung more knowing it would be the last possibility of these coming for a long time. But there definitely were a handful of games that I've been calling for ages that finally were added.

Asura's Wrath
Enslaved
Syndicate
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Enchanted Arms
Peter Jack's King Kong

I suppose I might add Splinter Cell: Doube Agent once I dig into how exactly that game shakes out, how much of an evolution it is from Chaos theory, for instance. But that was about it.

How about the rest of you?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't get that message at all -- from what I got out of the videos/interviews is they just transitioned to making sure everything playable on xbox one is playable on scarlett. Where did they say anything about expanding the "pre-xbox one" library?

Nov 1, 2017
No thanks this sounds awful, I like that each bc game behaves like a real xbox one game even if it slightly bloats the file sizes. I've no doubt that all xbox one games will run on scarlet+ without needing publishers permission just the 360 /ogxbox licenses weren't written with this in mind.

It still can? You know how you can click a link in a game or on the dashboard and it takes you straight into the webpage/mixer stream/whatever? No reason why that could work with an emulator app. And really, you would rather have a limited selection because you prefer them to be standalone rather than have access to the entire library of Xbox games? Um. Ok then.

Scarlett is confirmed to have a disc drive and Phil himself has said that Microsoft still value physical media and the ability for players to use their old games. I have no doubt that digital will take over eventually but it wont be next gen, or even the gen after that.

Oct 27, 2017
...and the Burnout 3: Takedown dream is dead just like that. I haven't read the thread so I'll ask, did Chaos Theory get the 4K treatment?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Scarlett is confirmed to have a disc drive and Phil himself has said that Microsoft still value physical media and the ability for players to use their old games. I have no doubt that digital will take over eventually but it wont be next gen, or even the gen after that.

I think it'll have a drive version and a disc-less version. But I'm just saying that they won't be focusing on anything to do with discs anymore. Can't stream from disc very well, and their servers in xCloud won't have your disc unlocks.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I didn't get that message at all -- from what I got out of the videos/interviews is they just transitioned to making sure everything playable on xbox one is playable on scarlett. Where did they say anything about expanding the "pre-xbox one" library?

"no more classic games will be added to the list of backwards compatible games on the Xbox One and Xbox One X. But Inside Xbox host Julia Hardy has stated that the efforts will continue, just on the new hardware."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"no more classic games will be added to the list of backwards compatible games on the Xbox One and Xbox One X. But Inside Xbox host Julia Hardy has stated that the efforts will continue, just on the new hardware."

did anyone of any authority say that? this is what they wrote on news.xbox.com and in the end announcement video:
As such, we have now shifted our focus to help make the games you love playing on Xbox One compatible with future Xbox hardware.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually wanted Syndicate as I never played it. Thinking it might tide me over until Cyberpunk lands.

I was also hoping for Wolverine: Origins, can't have it all I guess.

Sad to see the program end.