• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

This the digital page, it works both in the US for $10 and it worked in my region (NL) too for €10. If you're talking disc copies than it might not be up yet. They have said all games will be available throughout this week so it might not be up yet.

am I crazy or doesn't the Xbox version have some sort of technical issue? Maybe aspect ratio or glitching.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed it. I feel like I didn't buy it in 2017 for some reason. However the page says release date is 6/11/19 which is weird.
Oh, I was just referring to the fact that I can check if there are any major differences because I have a lot of time spent on the game..

As for Aspect ratio, the game doesn't support widescreen despite being a late Xbox game. You can still go ahead and play it in widescreen but it'll look weird.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Oh Shit, my Muscle Memory is in Revolt. I found a copy of SSX3 for OG Xbox - popped that sucker into my Xbox One - looks great, smooth as silk, fast load times - but the controls! I played SSX 1,2 and 3 on PS2 - which had 4 shoulder buttons. Poor Kaori was soaring into the air and I was pulling on triggers and bumpers and she calmy does nothing. I assume there is no way to map the controls like the PS2 versions? I don't think I can play it. Was only a couple of quid but alas I did not realise it had different controls - as frankly the OG Xbox was a while ago and 4 shoulder buttons have been the norm for so long. Muscle Memory is no joke. I'll give it another go but it feels dirty lol My old mind can't fathom SSX without 4 shoulder buttons for tricks. Damn being old.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oh Shit, my Muscle Memory is in Revolt. I found a copy of SSX3 for OG Xbox - popped that sucker into my Xbox One - looks great, smooth as silk, fast load times - but the controls! I played SSX 1,2 and 3 on PS2 - which had 4 shoulder buttons. Poor Kaori was soaring into the air and I was pulling on triggers and bumpers and she calmy does nothing. I assume there is no way to map the controls like the PS2 versions? I don't think I can play it. Was only a couple of quid but alas I did not realise it had different controls - as frankly the OG Xbox was a while ago and 4 shoulder buttons have been the norm for so long. Muscle Memory is no joke. I'll give it another go but it feels dirty lol My old mind can't fathom SSX without 4 shoulder buttons for tricks. Damn being old.
Unfortunately, there's no way to properly change the controls to match the PlayStation 2's. It took me a little while to get used to it, but it's fine once you get used to it. Only thing that messes me up sometimes is that the boost button is also a grab. I tended to hold boost even when I was launched into the air sometimes on PlayStation 2, but you can't do that on Xbox. Heh.

I still have all of the PlayStation 2 versions of the SSX games, but damn does SSX 3 look and sound so much better on Xbox One. And those instant loading times are great. They took quite a bit on PlayStation 2.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Why is Duke Nukem 3D being shown in this graphic featured on the Xbox.com Backwards Compatibility page? I'm assuming just a simple error.

Duke Nukem Forever and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project are backwards compatible. But the Duke Nukem 3D pictured game released on Xbox Live Arcade is not (I know because I own that one digitally and can't play it on my Xbox One). One of my 20% of digital titles that will forever be stuck on my 360.

8b402491-ceae-4fe7-8ad3-0b8c1d5aedbf.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was a huge Unreal Tournament fan and was waiting religiously for UT3 to come out. I've had this screenshot as my desktop background (4:3, even, that's how long ago) for so long thinking that this was like the Olympus of gaming graphics:

E3_UT2007_00000Shot.jpg

In hindsight it's funny how I'm looking at 100 times better graphics at E3 showcases with Cyberpunk or Halo Infinite and I barely even turn my head anymore. They look absurdly good but I almost got used to the fact that games are now close enough to photorealism at times.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Duke Nukem 3D being shown in this graphic featured on the Xbox.com Backwards Compatibility page? I'm assuming just a simple error.

Duke Nukem Forever and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project are backwards compatible. But the Duke Nukem 3D pictured game released on Xbox Live Arcade is not (I know because I own that one digitally and can't play it on my Xbox One). One of my 20% of digital titles that will forever be stuck on my 360.

8b402491-ceae-4fe7-8ad3-0b8c1d5aedbf.jpg

Wolfenstein 2009 is in that image and it featured as one of the 5 box shots in the recent BC video despite it being in legal limbo.

Might be something that they got working but had to pull.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I'm sad that the backwardcompat program is coming to an end (for the time being anyway). Currently playing Bad Company 2 multiplayer for the first time in years and loving it.

Great forum by the way.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I'm sad that the backwardcompat program is coming to an end (for the time being anyway). Currently playing Bad Company 2 multiplayer for the first time in years and loving it.

Great forum by the way.

I feel like what they said meant that its "coming to an end" so that they can make sure that everything works on scarlett. But i didnt get the impression that they would not continue it on scarlett once all that work was done.

For me, it would make sense for them to keep adding them once they are done with the current ones. It adds a lot of value to gamepass.

Doesnt make any sense to completely stop imo, especially if ps5 has full backward compatibility

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like what they said meant that its "coming to an end" so that they can make sure that everything works on scarlett. But i didnt get the impression that they would not continue it on scarlett once all that work was done.

For me, it would make sense for them to keep adding them once they are done with the current ones. It adds a lot of value to gamepass.

Doesnt make any sense to completely stop imo, especially if ps5 has full backward compatibility

My impression is that the PS5 will have full BC with PS4 games - NOT with PS3, 2, and 1 games, unfortunately.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
My impression is that the PS5 will have full BC with PS4 games - NOT with PS3, 2, and 1 games, unfortunately.

Ah ok. Still good.

But to my point, having 360 and OG xbox one games just adds too much value for them to stop doing it forvever. They have the tech and the team built. Once they are done with scarlett, get back at it! Thats what i would do.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019

Doesnt make any sense to completely stop imo

I hope you're right as I've really enjoyed using it.
One game I wish they had included is NFS Hot Pursuit (2010). Probably music licensing that killed it.
Same with Outrun 2 I guess.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was a huge Unreal Tournament fan and was waiting religiously for UT3 to come out. I've had this screenshot as my desktop background (4:3, even, that's how long ago) for so long thinking that this was like the Olympus of gaming graphics:

E3_UT2007_00000Shot.jpg

In hindsight it's funny how I'm looking at 100 times better graphics at E3 showcases with Cyberpunk or Halo Infinite and I barely even turn my head anymore. They look absurdly good but I almost got used to the fact that games are now close enough to photorealism at times.
Lol I remember when UT3(or UT2007 at the time) and Gears of War pics were my desktop background as well. It's ridiculous how much of a powerhouse the Unreal Engine 3 was throughout that gen.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I remember when UT3(or UT2007 at the time) and Gears of War pics were my desktop background as well. It's ridiculous how much of a powerhouse the Unreal Engine 3 was throughout that gen.

The first time I played Unreal Tournament 3 on a competent computer, when I first booted Arkham Asylum, when I played Mirror's Edge and was in awe... that engine was quite something, and looking back it's incredible how many of the most iconic games of the generation were powered by UE3.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
The first time I played Unreal Tournament 3 on a competent computer, when I first booted Arkham Asylum, when I played Mirror's Edge and was in awe... that engine was quite something, and looking back it's incredible how many of the most iconic games of the generation were powered by UE3.

This is one that im sad is not enhanced. It would look amazing.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
My biggest issue with UE3 was how usually developers just used it's shading pipeline without even tweaking it. That's why it was very easy to spot games using it (Damnation, Singularity, Bulletstorm, Enslaved, UT3, Gears, Shadows of the Damnned, etc)

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
It has been quite the journey these last two years, eagerly awaiting every week to see who would finally get the game they had been waiting for.

While I can't say im surprised at the announcement of the end of the BC program (for now?), it is bittersweet indeed. Almost every game I wanted eventually was made available, and the few that haven't are unfortunate to remain stuck on the 360, but that doesn't take away from the incredible amount of titles I never expected to see in the first place. My worries on the announcement of BC was that the program had come too late for people to take notice and as a result, the amount of support the program got would be severely underwhelming, but they proved said worries wrong again and again. I don't think anyone would have expected games like RDR or Ninja Gaiden II to be added and yet the BC team stepped up and proved that not only could they add them but they could also be improved to a point where they looked like something you would have to pay money for if it was anyone else.

Personally, the fact I got Deadly Premonition back will forever be a source of my respect for this team, as I truly believed that would be a game lost to time.

So, as my last post in here until hopefully a revival of the program after they finish up work on BC for Scarlett, I just wanted to say I enjoyed popping in this thread and seeing every one lose their minds when they finally got "that one game" announced, and I look forward to what comes next from the BC team in the future.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Gears 3 and Mirror's Edge could be passed for 2014-2015 games quite easily, for example

I never get these statements. Sure, both games look good but they are nowhere near current gen games. It's all about the lighting which was very limited last gen.

I've even seen multiple post claiming Forza Horizon in 4K is a better looking game than Forza Horizon 2. Even though Forza Horizon 2 is miles ahead in everything but resolution.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never get these statements. Sure, both games look good but they are nowhere near current gen games. It's all about the lighting which was very limited last gen.

I've even seen multiple post claiming Forza Horizon in 4K is a better looking game than Forza Horizon 2. Even though Forza Horizon 2 is miles ahead in everything but resolution.

I'm not saying Gears 3 looks better than Gears 4 or something like that, but that resolution boost combined with good assets definitely make the game sexier than some early-gen games, especially the ones still rocking lower resolutions (see Watch_Dogs).

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
man I was really I was really hoping for El Shaddai at 4K. The game begs for high res, but there's no PC version or anything.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yea many aspects like the lighting, overall low res texture look, and lower poly count models don't hold up against current gen games but as a whole it does look like a game that still holds up decently well. It does definitely bring it up to modern television standards in terms of image quality(resolution/AA).

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Shoutouts to my dudes requesting Buffy over the years even though we never got it. I have a tiny physical game collection but lo and behold....

IMG-20190615-191335.jpg

Still gonna stay there as I'm holding out hope for Scarlett.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So all those Rare games got X enhanced. Is that just resolution? Or are we getting HDR or anything else with that?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't treat this as definitive, but my TV does not show an HDR signal on any of the Rare enhanced games.

That's pretty disappointing since they're so colorful and would just pop with HDR like none other. Idk how difficult that is to do, but they did do it with Halo 3 and things, and plus, they did specifically mention improved "colors" in the official blogpost, which seemed...odd?

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty disappointing since they're so colorful and would just pop with HDR like none other. Idk how difficult that is to do, but they did do it with Halo 3 and things, and plus, they did specifically mention improved "colors" in the official blogpost, which seemed...odd?
Yeah it's weird, I checked the HDR icon was still showing up by booting Skate 3 and it did. I have no idea why EA was able and willing to implement it for Skate 3 but Microsoft wasn't for these games. Maybe technical limitations?

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's weird, I checked the HDR icon was still showing up by booting Skate 3 and it did. I have no idea why EA was able and willing to implement it for Skate 3 but Microsoft wasn't for these games. Maybe technical limitations?

The games that had HDR enabled used 10-bit color in their render pipeline, then reduced it to 8-bit in the final step. That wasn't the case for most 360 games.