• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I think Lockhart coming around a year after the next-gen launch makes a lot of sense. The people that are buying in the first year are the enthusiasts, and that probably continues into the second year too. Having a lower priced entry point maybe a year in could help to convert those users that generally wait for prices to come down earlier than usual.

Having said that, I don't think that's what MS will do. I think they'll believe there's value in having choice on day one.

I'm trying to try and figure out how they can price so many console options and not confuse general consumers who only know about products via ads.
Like I'm a general customer for the switch. I really don't know much about the internals and etc to maximize the machine if purchased. I go off ads and where it can be cheapest atm. I need ads to drive my purchase for the switch vs for the ps/xbox I'm doing research outside of ads.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm trying to try and figure out how they can price so many console options and not confuse general consumers who only know about products via ads.
Like I'm a general customer for the switch. I really don't know much about the internals and etc to maximize the machine if purchased. I go off ads and where it can be cheapest atm. I need ads to drive my purchase for the switch vs for the ps/xbox I'm doing research outside of ads.

Yeah, I think there's a chance of confusion if there are two different models on launch day. It's a bit different from last gen launching with two different SKUs of the same machine.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I really think a delayed Lockhart launch would be a really smart move.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I think there's a chance of confusion if there are two different models on launch day. It's a bit different from last gen launching with two different SKUs of the same machine.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I really think a delayed Lockhart launch would be a really smart move.
Totally agree.
On another note I'll see a lot of frustrations when Lockhart isn't even mentioned at all during 2020. I will guess the Lockhart announcement will be at e3 2021.

Oct 25, 2017
Omg I wanna see the Scarlett so bad lol I want to see the design!!!!

pekpW8A.jpg

:D

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Joking aside I do really hope the Crackdown IP isn't dead. Crackdown 3 had it's fair share of development issues and fair share of car shaped gameplay faults, but I enjoyed it. I still enjoy it from time to time, dipping back in and finding a few more orbs when I've got nothing else to do. I honestly even hope Sumo does the next game, if there is one.

Let them take what they got right about 3, spend more time on the world and the story, and maybe make the driving feel like something other than ass.

Agreed, I had never played Crackdown before CD3 and now I am really hoping the series isn't dead. Just go single player, change the tone slightly from over the top + obnoxious to simply over the top, no weird tech promises, just an awesome open world neon acrobatic explosion fest.

I always liked the idea of a cheaper console for mass adoption.

Only question is how does a Lockhart at (299$?) and Xbox One X also at 299$(Fall 2020) co-exist with similar ranges of performance (4k/1440p 30 &1080p 60) ?

I'm thinking X just goes away. Maybe they keep S around as a super value play at $149 with xCloud app pinned by default...

Also I fully expect an official external disc drive for Lockhart, around $50. Xbox means choice :)

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be more than happy to be wrong but MS has never really priced a device at an obvious price that would be a hit. I expected the One X to come in at a strong $399 but they didn't. I can't imagine them doing it now.
Why would you think that. They continually stressed a premium device. I expect Lockhart to be $100 cheaper than the anaconda. So if anaconda and PS5 are $499, I expect it to be $399 and same if the other two are $399

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
People are so stupid this shit literally happens every gen, there is no way Microsoft would release two different Xbox's at launch. It won't make any sense, i feel like i'm taking crazy pills reading what people type. Is Lockhart in development/planned? YES.

But it is not going to launch at the same time as Scarlett, it will launch a few years into next gen just like the Xbox One SAD did. There were rumors of a diskless xbox one coming since before the Xbox One Reveal and every year until it finally launched in 2019.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Lockhart also has the benefit of forcing digital sales which have a higher profit margin than physical sales. Also more likely to push people into the services. I could see them taking a bath on the entry price knowing they will make it up.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
People are so stupid this shit literally happens every gen, there is no way Microsoft would release two different Xbox's at launch. It won't make any sense, i feel like i'm taking crazy pills reading what people type. Is Lockhart in development/planned? YES.

But it is not going to launch at the same time as Scarlett, it will launch a few years into next gen just like the Xbox One SAD did. There were rumors of a diskless xbox one coming since before the Xbox One Reveal and every year until it finally launched in 2019.

They are going to release a weaker console a few years into generation?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

This isn't really the same as Xbox One S All Digital lol, Lockhart is a lower cost next gen console that's less powerful it makes perfect sense, they can have both the expensive console and cheap console. Anaconda will meet the PS5 specs and price. Lockhart is targeted towards a market that doesn't care about power and cares more about price and value.

Also, Xbox One vision originally was very digital centric and it had DRM policies that were only reversed shortly before launch. Wasn't just a rumor before Xbox One was revealed.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Andaconda holiday 2020 499$
12tf gpu, 3.2ghz 8c/16th ryzen2, 24gb ram 1tb ssd
Lockhart holiday 2021 299$
4.5tf 2.9ghz 8c/16t ryzen 2, 16 gb ram, 1tb ssd no disc drive

This is how you would more or less do the whole 'same game just at 1080p instead of 4k' thing. 4K assists need the extra ram that's why it's 16gb vs 24.

A 100$ difference isn't enough to justify the console in my opinion. Problem is the BOM of both those devices will have 100-150 price difference not 200. That's part of the reason why I think they wait a year.

They also don't want to confuse customers. And the new console is going to sell really well at first anyway so waiting a year for Lockhart isn't a issue.

Aug 26, 2019
What a lot of folk don't realize is that there will be an economic recession in the US of A next year. So a $299 next-gen Xbox is attractive.

Only the bourgeoisie can play at 8K/120FPS on their high-end consoles with 64GB RAM. The proletariat will have to settle for Halo Infinite at 1080p/30FPS.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
One thing I am interested to know how is family sharing going to work with xcloud?/gamepass going forward for families with more than 2 people are we going to be S.O.L or are we going to be able to pay a little bit more to get more streams like Netflix. Kinda hope they go with how drm was going to work at the beginning of the generation

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's obvious to anyone paying attention that Microsoft has out engineered Sony this gen. For how powerful the X is with how small it is makes this not a contest. That thing is a wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.