• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
The Switch mandates devs support real time 60% drops to resolution and no one was outraged about that...

OMG Thank you!
Handheld mode is considered the baseline for the Switch, and every Switch has a handheld mode. Also, those who would complain weren't planning to bring their latest and greatest games to the Switch anyways.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I retire, "it's a discless one x" from multiple people now, so little actual information seems to be making it through. My blood pressure is through the roof from that thread.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I retire, "it's a discless one x" from multiple people now, so little actual information seems to be making it through. My blood pressure is through the roof from that thread.
Now you know where the source of all my trolling and hella passive aggressively comments come from lol

trust me as I took this advice, ignore is a heaven sent button.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
cE4W0Oh.jpg
Lol.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
choice is always good

Agreed, as long as it doesn't mean "bad news" for the buyers of the Scarlett. I for one really don't want to see "enhancement patches" anymore next gen. I hope and expect devs to target the most powerful of the two.

And I hope it won't give developers too much extra work than is necessary. In the thread about this there's a developer and he explains in detail why isn't happy with this at all.

Call me simple or whatsoever, but I wish they would just do it like this gen and before that, one brand new and powerful console and slowly but steady more and more people move over to it. Introduce a trade in program and done.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Agreed, as long as it doesn't mean "bad news" for the buyers of the Scarlett. I for one really don't want to see "enhancement patches" anymore next gen. I hope and expect devs to target the most powerful of the two.

And I hope it won't give developers too much extra work than is necessary. In the thread about this there's a developer and he explains in detail why isn't happy with this at all.

Call me simple or whatsoever, but I wish they would just do it like this gen and before that, one brand new and powerful console and slowly but steady more and more people move over to it. Introduce a trade in program and done.
Their entire point is in making things scalable, which is why all 1st party games are on PC. They're already doing that work, getting it ready for the two console specs would not be difficult in comparison to working on the vast amount of varied PC specs out there. If they can severely undercut Sony on "next gen" levels that is going to be huge for a large part of their potential customer base when you mix in Game Pass and xCloud.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, to be honest. If anything, it's just a taste of what to expect next year from this site. There are some incredibly overly aggressive posts in that thread that really shouldn't have a place in a community like ERA. Oh well... There is barely any information though on Lockheart so most of the posts just feel impulsive and possibly are going to age badly in the next year(s). Like both PS and Xbox are currently in such a good spot going into 2020 yet people in here feel the need to be overly snarky and pessimistic.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The same games. Mostly the same graphical fidelity. Scalability via GPU & resolution. Wouldn't that be ... An awesome idea?

Playing the new "next-gen" Call of Duty or FIFA at ... The lowest price compared to the competition ... Sounds great to me.

I still don't know if Lockhart will see the light of the day. No one can tell that for sure today. I don't act like as I know that - and I never did. I always focused on quoting factually existing roadmaps. These can happen - or plans can change. That's fair.

But what I'll say is: a 2 SKU always made the most sense for Xbox as in my honest opinion this is literally the only way on how they can compete with the much-stronger Playstation brand and mind-share.

agree

Aug 26, 2018
I don't know how we could generalize it like that. Looking at CPU especially though obviously so. Of course I don't know the final specs.

I always liked the idea of a cheaper console for mass adoption.

Only question is how does a Lockhart at (299$?) and Xbox One X also at 299$(Fall 2020) co-exist with similar ranges of performance (4k/1440p 30 &1080p 60) ?

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
Considering now that MS is much more open-minded and giving astounding opening success for Halo reach on Steam. what's the possibility for MS to directly offer game pass via steam. EA access via steam set a precedent showing this type of deal is possible I guess.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering now that MS is much more open-minded and giving astounding opening success for Halo reach on Steam. what's the possibility for MS to directly offer game pass via steam. EA access via steam set a precedent showing this type of deal is possible I guess.

Would it be worth it for Valve? A big part of their model is getting people to use their store to drive more purchases. Valve can serve up ads when you launch Steam, get you into their ecosystem so you buy games there to stay with your friends, use the marketplace, etc. So they'd probably much prefer those people buy full priced games that Valve can take a cut of, rather than those people subscribing and Valve only getting a cut of that subscription. It makes sense for Microsoft to do the subscription because it draws people into their ecosystem, but I don't think Steam offering Game Pass would help Valve's ecosystem much. It would just mean those people don't buy a game they otherwise may have bought outright with no real positive on Valve's side.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Their entire point is in making things scalable, which is why all 1st party games are on PC. They're already doing that work, getting it ready for the two console specs would not be difficult in comparison to working on the vast amount of varied PC specs out there. If they can severely undercut Sony on "next gen" levels that is going to be huge for a large part of their potential customer base when you mix in Game Pass and xCloud.

You do have a point there, game pass especially is just crazy good value. The scaling thing sounds good to me too.

But I can't deny that this part from what Jason Schreier worries me a little.

Game developers will be expected to support both Anaconda and Lockhart, which some are worried might hamper their ambitions for next-gen games in the coming years.

It certainly wouldn't be a good thing.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Thing is, i dont think lockhart releases at the same time as scarlett.

Scarlett - 2020
Lockhart - Sometime in 2021 (before holiday season because there isn't a reason to push another console launch heavily) launching with bundles to establish Value for price paid.

Scarlett 2020 - $499 with $50 discount during a limited time (xbox access marketed)
Xbox one S no longer in production mid-end 2020 - phasing out inventory
Xbox one X turns into All digital in 2021 starting at e3 with price at $199 then no longer in production in 2022
Scarlett 2021 - $349 "permanent" discount (bundles during holiday)
Lockhart 2021 - $299 with bundles at get-go for launch (minecraft or whatever popular game is streaming/high user monthly count)

Probably too preemptive on the discounts but i gotta feeeeeelinnnn

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I don't know how we could generalize it like that. Looking at CPU especially though obviously so. Of course I don't know the final specs.
Sure you can klob. The answer is yes. Faster and more ram. 3-5x on the cpu. Ssd that destroys the hard drive. If the gpu is 4tf it's still 4 rdna teraflops which is equivalent to about 5.5 Polaris flops. If Lockhart can clear 4.5 tf it will have a faster gpu than the x

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why do people think that Lockhart is going to be some Nintendo-esque console lol.

Lockhart is more competitive against PCs than XB1 against PCS at their respective time of release, even GPU wise.

1.3TF was only 25% of the top AMD GPUs at the time. The CPU was much worse. The HDD was slow by 2013 standards. The ram bandwidth was mediocre (~140GB/s effective with the Esram).
Lockhart will be ~30% of the top AMD GPUs in 2020 at release, in addition to having a competitive CPU, respectable memory solution, and far better storage solution than PCs.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
You do have a point there, game pass especially is just crazy good value. The scaling thing sounds good to me too.

But I can't deny that this part from what Jason Schreier worries me a little.

Game developers will be expected to support both Anaconda and Lockhart, which some are worried might hamper their ambitions for next-gen games in the coming years.

It certainly wouldn't be a good thing.
Supporting 100's of variable pc specs is already a thing. 2 consoles won't be tough when the only intended difference is resolution/ray tracing.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
Would it be worth it for Valve? A big part of their model is getting people to use their store to drive more purchases. Valve can serve up ads when you launch Steam, get you into their ecosystem so you buy games there to stay with your friends, use the marketplace, etc. So they'd probably much prefer those people buy full priced games that Valve can take a cut of, rather than those people subscribing and Valve only getting a cut of that subscription. It makes sense for Microsoft to do the subscription because it draws people into their ecosystem, but I don't think Steam offering Game Pass would help Valve's ecosystem much. It would just mean those people don't buy a game they otherwise may have bought outright with no real positive on Valve's side.
I guess in return Valve would get to have the games from the participating publisher in their store, help them fend of EGS's aggressive moves, which I'm sure it's part of EA's deal. however, you are right MS doesn't have this to offer since they already commit to have their games on steam now.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Thing is, i dont think lockhart releases at the same time as scarlett.

Scarlett - 2020
Lockhart - Sometime in 2021 (before holiday season because there isn't a reason to push another console launch heavily) launching with bundles to establish Value for price paid.

Scarlett 2020 - $499 with $50 discount during a limited time (xbox access marketed)
Xbox one S no longer in production mid-end 2020 - phasing out inventory
Xbox one X turns into All digital in 2021 starting at e3 with price at $199 then no longer in production in 2022
Scarlett 2021 - $349 "permanent" discount (bundles during holiday)
Lockhart 2021 - $299 with bundles at get-go for launch (minecraft or whatever popular game is streaming/high user monthly count)

Probably too preemptive on the discounts but i gotta feeeeeelinnnn

Yeah, I think Lockhart coming around a year after the next-gen launch makes a lot of sense. The people that are buying in the first year are the enthusiasts, and that probably continues into the second year too. Having a lower priced entry point maybe a year in could help to convert those users that generally wait for prices to come down earlier than usual.

Having said that, I don't think that's what MS will do. I think they'll believe there's value in having choice on day one.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
Supporting 100's of variable pc specs is already a thing. 2 consoles won't be tough when the only intended difference is resolution/ray tracing.
But will MS have another mid-gen upgrade like the X? I would like to think an all-digital console with the same hardware spec would make more sense. especially they can eat a bit of cost on this particular model as user can only buy from MS's own store or use their own service, no need to share game revenue with retailers.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Why do people think that Lockhart is going to be some Nintendo-esque console lol.

Lockhart is more competitive against PCs than XB1 against PCS at their respective time of release, even GPU wise.

1.3TF was only 25% of the top AMD GPUs at the time. The CPU was much worse. The HDD was slow by 2013 standards. The ram bandwidth was mediocre (~140GB/s effective with the Esram).
Lockhart will be ~30% of the top AMD GPUs in 2020 at release, in addition to having a competitive CPU, respectable memory solution, and far better storage solution than PCs.
Weren't you the one who compared it to the Switch in, like, just the last page?

Besides, we don't know Lockhart's specs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.