• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this Gears angst. You know you will get it. They have no reason to show it and settle your nerves. Its like there is a 15% chance it gets screwed up, yet you are stuck on that. Let them show the other options and modes.

I can't wait. Man MS is just killing it in all facets.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this Gears angst. You know you will get it. They have no reason to show it and settle your nerves. Its like there is a 15% chance it gets screwed up, yet you are stuck on that. Let them show the other options and modes.

I can't wait. Man MS is just killing it in all facets.
I mean, I have no interest in getting it. it's strange that there seems to be no effort to really convince me. When you show modes off rather than core gameplay it seems like you're just talking to the hardcore

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
So, if Shannon Loftis was moved to manage Age of Empires team, does she have any experience with that? I checked her LinkedIn profile and mostly worked with racing games and some shitty projects for Good Science Studio. Good managing skill is completely alright, but she also have to understand goods of developers who want to make much better and great projects, without any financial cuts.

Do you guys think Microsoft Global Pushing will have an expanded role in Microsoft's future? I'm assuming them labeling it as an actual studio had to have some significance...
They really need push harder that division/studio for next generation and make it much more transparent. We just know how is the head of that and Joseph Staten was working on ReCore or Crackdown 3. Nothing more, I guess.

Also, if we look at what they published, there's not so much games.
• 2020 | Ori and the Will of the Wisps | more than 2,5 years between announcement and releasing.
• 2019 | Crackdown 3 | the giant joke of this generation, greenlighted before Phil was head of Xbox, announced in 2014.
• 2018 | State of Decay 2
• 2017 | Super Lucky's Tale | which is not even Microsoft's IP, will be released on Switch now as a re-imagined game with lot of new thing and no plans to Xbox release too.

Not so much. I'm not counting Age of Empires IV, because now when they have dedicated first-party studio, I think they'll be overseeing next game (like Rare with Battletoads and The Coalition with Gears Tactics).

I hope they'll have lot of agreements and partnerships for Project Scarlett. For launch and further support. There's some potential which was wasted in some way. Two games per year from XGS Publishing (next to first-party) would be great.

Because in their eyes the new mp mode deserves more marketing and time under the spotlight than campaign, which is a perfectly logical thing
But in our eyes, as a gamers, campaign was highly anticipated. After long year of waiting. Very strange decision.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Even more with how the talk about how Gears 5 is gonna switch up the SP this time arround.
Yeah exactly. If you are talking how you are chancing SP why not show it and prove it? If they wanted show multiplayer on stage, why not let people get hands on campaing on booths. It seriously raises some questions.

Apr 6, 2018
This dude needs to stfu until he shows some campaign gameplay. what a huge fuck up at E3.
so he needs to remain silent until september?
So, if Shannon Loftis was moved to manage Age of Empires team, does she have any experience with that? I checked her LinkedIn profile and mostly worked with racing games and some shitty projects for Good Science Studio. Good managing skill is completely alright, but she also have to understand goods of developers who want to make much better and great projects, without any financial cuts.

They really need push harder that division/studio for next generation and make it much more transparent. We just know how is the head of that and Joseph Staten was working on ReCore or Crackdown 3. Nothing more, I guess.

Also, if we look at what they published, there's not so much games.
• 2020 | Ori and the Will of the Wisps | more than 2,5 years between announcement and releasing.
• 2019 | Crackdown 3 | the giant joke of this generation, greenlighted before Phil was head of Xbox, announced in 2014.
• 2018 | State of Decay 2
• 2017 | Super Lucky's Tale | which is not even Microsoft's IP, will be released on Switch now as a re-imagined game with lot of new thing and no plans to Xbox release too.

Not so much. I'm not counting Age of Empires IV, because now when they have dedicated first-party studio, I think they'll be overseeing next game (like Rare with Battletoads and The Coalition with Gears Tactics).

I hope they'll have lot of agreements and partnerships for Project Scarlett. For launch and further support. There's some potential which was wasted in some way. Two games per year from XGS Publishing (next to first-party) would be great.

But in our eyes, as a gamers, campaign was highly anticipated. After long year of waiting. Very strange decision.
AeO 4 is a weird situation, because MSG worked as the connection between the know how of relic and the new forming team, so it's pretty ambiguos to count. But people who knows her work better than us trusted her, so I won't jump on conclusion.

So people interested in mp are not real gamers?
\s/
Simply campaign, once you finish, there's nothing valuable, especially in this case with the pseudo ow bullshit, so in their eyes the mp is more important in the long term.
They really want Escape to be next big thing in gears. The amount of effort they poured into it is surprising

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
So people interested in mp are not real gamers?
\s/
Simply campaign, once you finish, there's nothing valuable, especially in this case with the pseudo ow bullshit, so in their eyes the mp is more important in the long term.
They really want Escape to be next big thing in gears. The amount of effort they poured into it is surprising
I didn't divide them as a real gamers or not, as you said ;)

I just meant, I was seeing much more interest from people in Gears 5's campaign than multiplayer. Nothing else :)

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Guys.

The reason everyone is disappointed in Gears at E3 is because we all know Gears is great when it comes to the multi side. The SP side is what needs a refresh and he cockblocked everyone by showing nother MP mode and the worst CG/music to boot.

Compare Gears 1 CG to this abomination. Cliffy B needs to come back and show Rod how to do proper marketing.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Different strokes I guess. I'm reeaaallllyyy not a fan of the BGS style first person simulation RPG. And Obsidian seems to follow that mold to a tee. I think RPG's like Mass Effect and The Witcher are superior in every conceivable way. It's why I'm much more excited to see what Playground does with Fable than I am about what Obsidian has next.
Music to my ears. However if Obsidian decides it wants to do a Alpha Protocol spiritual successor I'd find some love for them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So the Arcade in versus is gonna be more catered to the mass. Interested to see it.
Interesting he talks about making Gears more modern with UI changes, gunplay (removing bloom and adding more recoil), sound etc. They removed alot of the quick banter like if you missed a active reload.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I've been fiddling around with Xbox Game Pass PC for a few days. A few game installation issues aside, I'm actually loving the service! I've been trying out a bunch of indie games that I otherwise wouldn't have bought and played. Considering the regular price and upcoming releases like Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds, I think I'm actually gonna stay subscribed in perpetuity.

It's also really exciting to think what first party can do, because I imagine that there are many many others like me on PC who would probably stay subscribed because why not? And Gears 5 launches on the service, and Halo will launch on the service. That's crazy to me. I haven't kept up with player numbers for MS's first party games in a while, but I think game pass on PC would give these titles big launches now that I think about it, especially if there's a lot of hype surrounding them. And Age of Empires 4 and Flight Sim will launch on the service!

I can't believe I'm this excited about Microsoft first party and their PC efforts. Hell has probably frozen over.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Guys.

The reason everyone is disappointed in Gears at E3 is because we all know Gears is great when it comes to the multi side. The SP side is what needs a refresh and he cockblocked everyone by showing nother MP mode and the worst CG/music to boot.

Compare Gears 1 CG to this abomination. Cliffy B needs to come back and show Rod how to do proper marketing.

Mad World was indeed great marketing, but in the end it left a sour taste, because the actual game was nothing like that. At least this new teaser gives us plenty of hints about what the story of Gears 5 and Kait's personal journey are going to be like. I really loved it.

That said, bring on some campaign gameplay.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any predictions for the AoE studio name? Could be something relevant to the franchise, like 343 or The Coalition.

I think it could honestly just stay as "AoE Studio", but It'd also be cool, if awkward, to just have Ensemble Studios again.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
So the Arcade in versus is gonna be more catered to the mass. Interested to see it.
Interesting he talks about making Gears more modern with UI changes, gunplay (removing bloom and adding more recoil), sound etc. They removed alot of the quick banter like if you missed a active reload.

I hope Arcade doesn't get too ridiculous. I'd consider myself well above average at Gears but ranked in Gears 4 was way too sweaty to the point where it wasn't enjoyable anymore and I'd hate to be stuck choosing between that and an Arcade mode with crazy stuff like ults and what not.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Arcade doesn't get too ridiculous. I'd consider myself well above average at Gears but ranked in Gears 4 was way too sweaty to the point where it wasn't enjoyable anymore and I'd hate to be stuck choosing between that and an Arcade mode with crazy stuff like ults and what not.
This is where I'm at. Just want a normal Annex/KOTH type mode without any changes.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw who took over Loftis here job? That woman we talked about Gamepass at e3? Believe she was name head of partnership? Maybe thats means global publishing now also.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Btw who took over Loftis here job? That woman we talked about Gamepass at e3? Believe she was name head of partnership? Maybe thats means global publishing now also.

Peter Wyse apparently. https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/double-fine-productions-joins-xbox-game-studios/

With the addition of Double Fine, there will be a total of 15 unique, standalone studios that comprise Xbox Game Studios, including our newly-created Age of Empires studio headed by Shannon Loftis and our Publishing group headed by Peter Wyse. We are committing more resources and dedicated leadership to the Age of Empires franchise to ensure that its legacy on PC continues in service of the passionate community of faithful fans.
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06...-joins-xbox-game-studios/#S5IykxAfOljxA4AX.99

Oct 27, 2017
So when you guys play gears you only play campaign?

Gears gameplay imo literally relies on all the moves the multiplayer community has come up with, do you guys just walk around and roadie run? if so the game must feel really dull gunplay/movement wise
The thing is this forum is very much more interested in the SP side of things. Same goes for halo. Frankly I don't give a fuck about the Sp as long as the game has good mechanics and the MP plays well

On E3, they decided to show off a new coop mode that frankly will be more enticing to the general public than the so coverage

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I actually think Loftis did a good job with what she was able to bring. I hope this new guy will be able to get great things from partnerships(Japan plz).
I really don't think she did. During her period there were almost no new games announced, except the sequels of Ori and Forza Horizon, two hugely successful games, despite her boasting about having 300 pitches per year.

And the games Phil had signed before he left the job to Shannon were mostly mismanaged.

I really don't think money was that much of an issue, we have reports of some games spending a lot, it is really management like Recore having so many troubles with the engine, whatever happened in Crackdown (and you can tell they spent a lot on that game).

I mean, I don't buyt that a division that reportedly threw away $70m on Fable Legends and another $70m on Scalebound was hurting for money so badly that they couldn't at least greenlit some indie games to publish.

The place for the division now is even more weirder... Indies are being handled by id@xbox, securing some exclusiveness and/or gamepass deals. With new studios that will be able to take AAA one would think Ms will develop their next big games internally what MSGP can even bring to the table?

Only thing I can think off is trying to find developers for MS IPs, with the intention of a future purchase or Ms creating another internal team to focus on said IP, perhaps focusing in regions where Ms does not yet have much presence or any studios (Asia/Japan)

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The logical link is that they've instilled little to no confidence in me about the future of Gears. If the game is a radical evolution, why not advertise that first and foremost? MP games get new modes in sequels all the time, that's to be expected to some degree.
No confidence in the future of Gears... LOL. Gears 4 was great and everything we've seen from Gears 5 has looked great.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah exactly. If you are talking how you are chancing SP why not show it and prove it? If they wanted show multiplayer on stage, why not let people get hands on campaing on booths. It seriously raises some questions.
Not really.

It seems a lot of what they're doing is aiming to bring in new people to the franchise, and that's great to see.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Funny thing is... They say they had to choose between showing campaign and MP. But in reality, they could (and should) have shown both.

Back in 2015, Halo opened the E3 show with a small campaign trailer directly followed by a campaign gameplay demo. Then Josh Holmes came in and unveiled the totally new mode Warzone through a trailer. Nothing felt long, the pacing for the Halo part was perfectly good, and the announcement of a new mode after showing something "normal" and expected (campaign gameplay) felt so much more interesting and exciting. A "but wait, we have more"-type of moment.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they easy could have showed a same kind of thing like last year. Didn't need to be a 6 min live gameplay segment at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.