• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Ready at Dawn makes the most sense. They have already shipped one AAA game this gen, and have a lot of experience as well

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
In the note it is clear that he refers to games of his development studies.

I didn't get that but maybe I should read it again. It says that they believe first party studios will help with achieving that goal, but that doesn't mean they'll be exclusively responsible for it.

They also say they don't expect to see new third party AAAs included in Gamepass anytime soon, but that doesn't mean never. I've said it before and I still believe it, what we'll eventually see is a "channels" type situation, where users can pay an extra fee to bundle various third parties subscriptions with their gamepass subscription. Amazon Prime and Hulu both do this now.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Their AAA game is battle royale, and judging by the tone of their 'arcade is dead' piece, it seems like the decision to move to bigger titles is bittersweet for them. If MS can offer a path to produce smaller games on top of a AAA every couple of years, I can def see them joining the team.
I guess the battle royale game is not going to jump Xbox (?). They were sad in the statement, yes.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been talked about yet?

sz8ZyDA.png

Not sure how to add images here. Xbox Game Pass twitter account says: "A game a lot of you have been asking for is being announced Feb. 5 on Inside Xbox.

Announced as in Game Pass catalog, I guess.

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I didn't get that but maybe I should read it again. It says that they believe first party studios will help with achieving that goal, but that doesn't mean they'll be exclusively responsible for it.

They also say they don't expect to see new third party AAAs included in Gamepass anytime soon, but that doesn't mean never. I've said it before and I still believe it, what we'll eventually see is a "channels" type situation, where users can pay an extra fee to bundle various third parties subscriptions with their gamepass subscription. Amazon Prime and Hulu both do this now.
Xbox Game Pass already adds one or more AAA games per quarter. That is no longer a goal. That's why I read it that way.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Xbox Game Pass since its launch already adds one or more AAA games per quarter. This is no longer a goal. That's why I read it that way.
Regardless of whether it is a challenge, or not, getting enough content is the goal. As Microsoft watchers, we tend to care a lot about 1st party and what they're up to. But, as an Xbox player, I don't really care who made it - I just want to play cool games. If other publishers roll out their own services, then that means potentially fewer game options for MS. So, they're setting an achievable goal even if their very success shifts the market away.

Now, how do they appease their third party publishers so that they stay on the service - while not losing too much ground to the publishers that might roll their own (EA, Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda)? Well, Game Pass's edge right now is that MS has 3rd party relationships with publishers like Capcom or Square and even Bethesda - and they don't with each other. They have the player communities but not the professional ones. But, if Game Pass is saturated with MS published games.. well.. that makes it less attractive to everyone else. So, as much as I want Xbox to go big on Game Pass, in reality, taking it easy is probably better for the long term health of the service and the platform as a whole.

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Regardless of whether it is a challenge, or not, getting enough content is the goal. As Microsoft watchers, we tend to care a lot about 1st party and what they're up to. But, as an Xbox player, I don't really care who made it - I just want to play cool games. If other publishers roll out their own services, then that means potentially fewer game options for MS. So, they're setting an achievable goal even if their very success shifts the market away.
I'm analyzing the publication. Microsoft intends to have that efficiency in terms of AAA games in the service, 1 AAA per quarter is something that can already be achieved with third party games as we are seeing now. The publication talks about an objective that is intended to be achieved, so for me it has that reading.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
Take this picture of the Sony study thread, one of these could be(Some do not count).

479wudvk.png
Well Quantic Dream is now a multiplat dev and so is (I can't remember) which other, either supermassive or housemarque is also
That's huge going forward & when you consider MS may be interested in someone like bluepoint ect .. that's a big shift.
Edit, I think it was RAD

Last edited:

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The goal of 1 AAA per quarter on the part of the microsoft studios is this but efficiently.
MS has been aiming for 4 AAA releases per quarter this gen to begin with. Delays and cancellation of projects has impacted it but it's always been their intent for it.

2015 had Halo5, ROTR, Forza. They planned to have QB that year too but delays happened.

2016 had Forza, Gears and QB. The original 2016 plan was Forza, Gears, CD3 and Scalebound but we know what happened to the last 2 games.

2017 was supposed to be Halo Wars 2,Forza , SOT, SOD2 but again delays impacted that plan.

The new studios are aimed to improve quality of games and have a better buffer against reality of delays that cause an even the best laid plans to go out of schedule

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
The four AAA games per year comment is interesting. I wonder what Microsoft considers a "AAA game." Would a CRPG like Pillars of Eternity be considered AAA? What about something like Wasteland 3? What about State of Decay? I personally think something like Pillars of Eternity and State of Decay is AA and Wasteland 3 is AAA, but I'm sure everyone will have a different take.

You would imagine Microsoft would need 16 AAA games in development constantly. Here's a summary of the teams they have so far.

Guaranteed AAA Studios
343 Industries (1 Team)
Playground (2 Teams)
Rare (1 Team)
Ninja Theory (2 Teams)
The Coalition (1 Team)
The Initiative (1 Team)
Turn 10 (1 Team)
Obsidian (1 Team) - I am not sure how Obsidian will be divided and how many concurrent projects they'll do, but I'd be shocked if they didn't always have at least one AAA team.
inXile (1 Team) - Like Obsidian, I'm not sure how inXile will be divided and how they'll split their teams, but I think it's a safe bet to assume they'll have at least one AAA team at all times.

That's 11 AAA teams out of Microsoft's target of 16.

Question Marks
Compulsion - It seems unlikely that Compulsion will get the green-light immediately to do something I would consider a AAA game. I think we'll get a smaller project from them out of the Microsoft Studios gate, then the size of their projects will grow as the studio grows and matures. I expect them to eventually move on to AAA projects (in 2024-2025, after two AA projects), but for now, I think it's unlikely Microsoft sees them as a AAA studio.

Undead Labs - I would imagine this is very similar situation to Compulsion. They're a smaller studio and it seems unlikely they are currently working on a AAA game. I expect their next project to be similar in size and scope to State of Decay 2, and I don't personally think of that as a AAA game. I do think the State of Decay formula could eventually become a AAA by fleshing out the concept more with something like a story of more vivid characters, but I don't think it's there yet. Like Compulsion, I expect their games will grow in size and scope, but I think for now, Microsoft doesn't see them as a AAA studio.

Ninja Theory - Ninja Theory is a fascinating case-study and we'll probably have to wait and see. I personally think we'll see a mix of AA and AAA experiences from Ninja Theory. From larger games, like Enslaved, to smaller experiences like Hellblade. Some might disagree, but I actually think of Hellblade as a AAA game. I think that Ninja Theory's games will trend a bit "meatier" as they get larger budgets, but I think they enjoy the smaller teams and doing different things. I do think the question of how many teams Ninja Theory might have is really interesting. I think it's a safe bet they will have two, but I could see them having as many as four. To be safe, I'll add two to the total. Personally, I think Ninja Theory will have one team making more traditional, beefy AAA action-adventure games, like Enslaved, and two teams making shorter, narrative experiences tackling unique settings and themes, like Hellblade.

Obsidian - Obsidian's expected growth will be interesting to monitor. While I think it's a guarantee that they always have at least one team working on a AAA RPG, the rest of the studio may be a little more of an unknown until we have a better idea of what they're doing. With their expected growth, I would imagine they'll move forward with one team making third or first-person AAA RPGs and a second team working on CRPGs. It will all boil down to if Microsoft considers those AAA Game Pass darlings or if they're in the same category as a game like State of Decay. Again, I think that those CRPGs could be expanded upon and Microsoft could take steps to make them more approachable, but I think that would require confidence in the idea and a bit of a commitment to the concept. Is that what Microsoft wants Obsidian to do? Is that what Obsidian wants to do? Time will tell.

inXile - Like Compulsion and Undead Labs, I feel like inXile will have a very similar gameplan as Obsidian. I think that they will have at least one team working on a AAA RPG at all times. Will that bounce between their two locations or will one location take a "specialty." I personally think that inXile will make the jump to a more console-oriented first or third person AAA RPG with a very classic RPG feel. I do think, with two very similar studios AND Playground's project AND likely five concurrent RPG projects, it will be difficult for Microsoft, Obsidian, Playgrounds RPG team, and inXile to work together to make sure they're not stepping on each other's toes in terms of the styles and settings of their games. I think inXile is a homerun for one AAA game, so that's going on the list.

Rare - I think Rare is a prime candidate to move to smaller teams and increase their output. They have a ton of talent, are growing, and they've already experience a bit of a split working on both new content for Sea of Thieves and a new project that Phil Spencer said he's played recently. I think the first question is how long Microsoft will continue to support Sea of Thieves. I personally think that they will continue content through the end of this year and into the spring, giving it two years of post-release support before moving on. I think it will be available on Scarlett through Backwards Compatibility, but I don't think Microsoft will continue to provide new content after the game's two year anniversary. It will have been a respectable amount of time and hopefully they will have the game where they want it. The question becomes what becomes of those teams once they're done with that content. Rare did have four teams working on content and I think they may break them off into a few other smaller projects then have the full studio work on their next title, but for now, I'll put one on the list, because there's too much uncertainty.

Others - Is there a chance we see one of Microsoft's other studios work on two projects? I think The Coalition is an obvious candidate, given their track record of efficiency and Rod's leadership, but that seems unlikely at this time with Gears 5, Gears Tactics, and Gears Pop! all in development. While they're not directly developing two of those games, they are still providing resources and it's not a gigantic studio. I think if that's a possibility, we will begin to see more expansion in the coming year. I think another project is unlikely for 343 while they continue to support the Halo franchise. I think there's a better chance that Playground Games expands, but I think that's unlikely until their second project is nearing the finish line.

MSGP vs. New Acquisitions
I feel like MSGP should shoot for one AAA game release every two years, but increase the quality of the developer they're working with on that title. That would mean Microsoft needs three new AAA teams to come from somewhere, likely in the form of new acquisitions. I think that the finish line may be close for Microsoft putting the finishing touches on the first-party lineup. I don't think they'll ever stop looking for new studios and teams, but I think after this year (if they acquire a few more teams) they'll move from actively searching for and negotiating with teams to putting out feelers when they think someone would be a good fit.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm analyzing the publication. Microsoft intends to have that efficiency in terms of AAA games in the service, 1 AAA per quarter is something that can already be achieved with third party games as we are seeing now. The publication talks about an objective that is intended to be achieved, so for me it has that reading.
I get that. But, it could also just be an ongoing goal. That is a "primary" goal that is not necessarily aspirational, but operational. We will need to have at least one AAA halo game every quarter to drive game pass continuity, so there's always a reason to not bother letting the subscription lapse. That doesn't even necessarily mean NEW AAA games.

I get what you're saying, and I am leaning in that direction as well. But, let's set our expectations correctly and give ourselves room to be pleasantly surprised. There are limited benefits to having such a high output of first party games, it may even become counter productive at a point.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Has this been talked about yet?

https://i.imgur.com/sz8ZyDA.png

Not sure how to add images here. Xbox Game Pass twitter account says: "A game a lot of you have been asking for is being announced Feb. 5 on Inside Xbox.
I think this is Forza Horizon 3. They can also talk about the new Forzathon stuff and the new achievements. Timing seems to be right. My theory was they waited until after FH4 to add FH3, because they didn't want to burn people out on the game before the new game launched so they could maximize the buzz that FH4 got and to keep selling FH3 until FH4 launched.

Windows Central just posted this article as well. Looks like they'll be presenting about bringing Xbox Live community to mobile platforms and Switch at GDC in the form of a new cross-platform development platform.

Last edited:

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I get that. But, it could also just be an ongoing goal. That is a "primary" goal that is not necessarily aspirational, but operational. We will need to have at least one AAA halo game every quarter to drive game pass continuity, so there's always a reason to not bother letting the subscription lapse. That doesn't even necessarily mean NEW AAA games.

I get what you're saying, and I am leaning in that direction as well. But, let's set our expectations correctly and give ourselves room to be pleasantly surprised. There are limited benefits to having such a high output of first party games, it may even become counter productive at a point.
I just quoted a comment about the plans to launch AAA games that Microsoft had in this generation. Imagine now what will be achieved in the next generation with the current state of MS.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
4 AAA games a year doesn't loot that unreal:

One game in Feb/March - like SoT last year
One game in April/May - like State of Decay 2 last year - I know its not really an AAA title but with bigger budget and full MS support Undead Labs can deliver on their ambitions.

One game in August/Sep - Forza titles every 2-3 years
One game in October/Nov - big hitter like Halo, Gears, Fable, Obisidian RPG, The Initiative game? Each project may get up to 5 years development cycle which is crazy! and much needed for bigger games like Open world action RPG by PG or Obsidian but new Gears titles will probably need around 3 years unless The Coalition wants to reboot the series God of War style.

On top of this we have two teams at InXile, second team at Rare, second team at Obsidian (probably smaller projects like PoE), The Compulsion Games, multiple teams at NT and Global Publishing + potential new acquisitions.

Good times ahead!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The World
Forza might skip this year but you will have a Forza game every year from 2020 onwards again. That is pretty much one-game set.

They can also use MSGP to have a 3rd party AAA game for this. Doesn't have to come from in-house Studio.

But it's easier to get to 4 per year than 1 per quarter as game delays are the norm.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forza Motorsport 7 would be really nice. I held off buying it because I thought it would come to GP.

willbsn

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Motorsport 7 would be really nice. I held off buying it because I thought it would come to GP.

There's a big race regulations system that's supposed to be coming to FM7 in the near future which would benefit hugely from getting more players from a service like game pass. They'd be able to try them out and give feedback (on other experimental features they've been doing too)

Though I remember reading that licensing was possibly holding back past Forza titles from going to Gamepass? I think it was a Aaron Greenberg tweet?

Either way I'm glad theres no Forza Motorsport this year. Desperately needed a break. For the next game, do you think there's a chance they drop the numbers (kinda like what Halo's done) or rebrand it in someway?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a big race regulations system that's supposed to be coming to FM7 in the near future which would benefit hugely from getting more players from a service like game pass. They'd be able to try them out and give feedback (on other experimental features they've been doing too)

Though I remember reading that licensing was possibly holding back past Forza titles from going to Gamepass? I think it was a Aaron Greenberg tweet?

Either way I'm glad theres no Forza Motorsport this year. Desperately needed a break. For the next game, do you think there's a chance they drop the numbers (kinda like what Halo's done) or rebrand it in someway?

I certainly think we will see a single FM release from next gen. It makes so much sense, because you generally get smaller incremental changes between releases anyway (most cars and tracks aren't replaced, just added to). The nature of sim racing games with cars, skins etc. also makes them conducive to GaaS - so putting the game on Game Pass and getting loads of people playing it is likely be a big money-spinner.

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
Forza might skip this year but you will have a Forza game every year from 2020 onwards again. That is pretty much one-game set.

They can also use MSGP to have a 3rd party AAA game for this. Doesn't have to come from in-house Studio.

But it's easier to get to 4 per year than 1 per quarter as game delays are the norm.
I really hope Turn10 and Playground opt for a 'games as a service' model for FM and FH next generation. Give each team 3 years to develop solid foundations, then build with regular free DLC (like Sea of Thieves) and optional annual content passes (like R6 Siege), until you have an incredible experience after 3 years that draws in a multitude of players through Game Pass.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Turn10 and Playground opt for a 'games as a service' model for FM and FH next generation. Give each team 3 years to develop solid foundations, then build with regular free DLC (like Sea of Thieves) and optional annual content passes (like R6 Siege), until you have an incredible experience after 3 years that draws in a multitude of players through Game Pass.

Given that the biggest change of FH each release is a complete new map, I don't think it would fit into the same model tbh. But they're going to be alternating between a FH and PGR release every 2 years next gen anyway believe

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
cyrribrae hit it on the head and was something I said earlier (I believe I said it here) that while MS wants to put more of their games on XGP, it's really the 3rd party games that make the service shine. Getting more ID@Xbox games, smaller published titles, and older titles from bigger AAA pubs in there is absolutely necessary for the market to have a good relationship with Microsoft. Microsoft makes the most money from their partners, not their 1st party offerings. So while it would be cool for MS to get a bunch of content into Xbox Game Pass from a 1st party point of view, they can't oversaturate it the service where there's no one buying 3rd party titles and 3rd party DLC/MTX. The first party offerings are to give more of a reason to stay on the service and spend money in their ecosystem.

I've also talked about the importance of Mixer to Microsoft and I still don't think people really realize how important Mixer is to the company. It's not just about being a competitor to Twitch, it's about enhancing the entire platform. Microsoft wants to monetize everything you know about gaming. That's from Game Development, Gameplay, Game Watching, and everything in between. So all of their services surround that. What's funny is that they talked about the CCC which I've had convos with Klobrille about and how important it is to Microsoft. Mixer is there because it's about the "Community" aspect of gaming. Having a relationship with a streamer and potentially buying a game or service on there. Do you think xCloud is only meant for mobile games? Nah, it's also there so that on any screen, you are watching a Mixer stream (be it a web browser, console, tv app, etc...) and they have a little button that says "Play/Buy this now with Xbox Game Pass" ...Microsoft has already set up a button to buy games through a Mixer stream. xCloud just enhances it. That's the Cloud aspect helping the Community aspect. The content is what the streamers provide to their audience, but games is what drives them, so MS wants to make their games standout. Once you have that relationship, money is there to be made. That's just one example of Content, Community, and Cloud. So I think people shouldn't underestimate the importance to Mixer. It's more than just a Twitch competitor. If you've noticed, there aren't any ads on Mixer. It's because it's model is based on this future. They've been building it up that way from my point of view.

The whole 1 AAA per quarter thing isn't all that surprising to me. I think what is important is Microsoft getting PC and console gaming on the same "level" with input, and getting mobile gaming in there as well. Positioning Xbox as a platform rather than just a "console". That's what Phil hinted to during the podcast with Major Nelson and what ZhugeEX talked about in his last "State of Xbox" address lol ;). The studios will have a cadence for development and to have enough content from a first party so that any game can have more time before release and they can "switch out" games if need be. If you read in between the lines here, I don't think we will be getting release dates really far out (thank god) because it allows Microsoft to be flexible. I think they will show games but not really give a release date until it is actually ready to launch in that period. So while 1 AAA game per quarter is nice, don't think it's the only thing that MS is going to release. They are building a platform so they will have games that come out on mobile (Gears Pop) and on PC (Gears Tactics, AOE4, etc...) first before console and other smaller games in between (though I think Gears Tactics, and AOE4 are AAA but that's just me). So still expect smaller games from MS studios, and that's not a bad thing.

In regards to streaming. It's definitely something that Microsoft wants to work a lot. It will be the thing that they think will make them even more profitable and to show huge growth. It can enter markets where they couldn't before, and get gamers on a subscription that they always wanted who would never buy their console. I still believe it will come for free with Xbox Game Pass (though XGP will have tiers) to get as much volume and people on their platform, and I do mean that XGP subscription means you have access to stream, so it's not only streaming xgp games. It would really highlight the fact that Xbox is a platform and not just a console. That's why you'll see the revamp of their PC offerings this year, aligning with the launch of Xbox Game Pass on PC. I expect you'll see updates to their mobile applications that highlight some of these changes as well.

All in all, it seems MS is really making the big platform play and what services and offerings to customers is going to be "big".

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
zedox Yep. Totally agree. I think Xbox definitely CAN put out 4 AAAs in a year and that would be good. But that cannot be the sole focus. It's a great Halo effect (pun absolutely intended), but it's the partnerships that can set Game Pass and the overall library apart. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you beat everyone else as much as if your customers are happy with your service. Even Nintendo has failed in the past with fantastic first party output, because of a lack of 3rd party support.

I've also talked about the importance of Mixer to Microsoft and I still don't think people really realize how important Mixer is to the company. It's not just about being a competitor to Twitch, it's about enhancing the entire platform. Microsoft wants to monetize everything you know about gaming. That's from Game Development, Gameplay, Game Watching, and everything in between. So all of their services surround that.
Yea, integrating the storefront/streaming launcher with streaming games on every device makes a ton of sense. Kinda like what Discord and Twitch are doing, but with an already established platform.

I have found myself wondering lately whether MS would benefit from more aggressively pursuing Mixer-related opportunities. Not just implement partners or try to get new people to stream on a site where they won't get so totally buried. But actually "partner" with targeted content creators for regular shows designed to bring people in to the platform and designed to make the most of the interactivity. I think, for example, of tabletop gaming. There are plenty of big name D&D streams that launched fairly recently and all went to twitch because that was the default platform - the only option. Might that have been an opportunity to build on an established brand to create an engaged community that comes back to the platform week after week? And, should MS consciously combine targeted development of new talent with a few big names poached from elsewhere at the same time? (I know there are some ethics to consider here whether everyone gets a fair shake - but I think it would be ok.) I think these things have to happen in unison, because it's a perception problem and a scale problem. Having a good platform is crucial, but without MS aggressively supporting Mixer, it will have a hard time reaching the potential it certainly has.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
cyrribrae hit it on the head and was something I said earlier (I believe I said it here) that while MS wants to put more of their games on XGP, it's really the 3rd party games that make the service shine. Getting more ID@Xbox games, smaller published titles, and older titles from bigger AAA pubs in there is absolutely necessary for the market to have a good relationship with Microsoft. Microsoft makes the most money from their partners, not their 1st party offerings. So while it would be cool for MS to get a bunch of content into Xbox Game Pass from a 1st party point of view, they can't oversaturate it the service where there's no one buying 3rd party titles and 3rd party DLC/MTX. The first party offerings are to give more of a reason to stay on the service and spend money in their ecosystem.

I've also talked about the importance of Mixer to Microsoft and I still don't think people really realize how important Mixer is to the company. It's not just about being a competitor to Twitch, it's about enhancing the entire platform. Microsoft wants to monetize everything you know about gaming. That's from Game Development, Gameplay, Game Watching, and everything in between. So all of their services surround that. What's funny is that they talked about the CCC which I've had convos with Klobrille about and how important it is to Microsoft. Mixer is there because it's about the "Community" aspect of gaming. Having a relationship with a streamer and potentially buying a game or service on there. Do you think xCloud is only meant for mobile games? Nah, it's also there so that on any screen, you are watching a Mixer stream (be it a web browser, console, tv app, etc...) and they have a little button that says "Play/Buy this now with Xbox Game Pass" ...Microsoft has already set up a button to buy games through a Mixer stream. xCloud just enhances it. That's the Cloud aspect helping the Community aspect. The content is what the streamers provide to their audience, but games is what drives them, so MS wants to make their games standout. Once you have that relationship, money is there to be made. That's just one example of Content, Community, and Cloud. So I think people shouldn't underestimate the importance to Mixer. It's more than just a Twitch competitor. If you've noticed, there aren't any ads on Mixer. It's because it's model is based on this future. They've been building it up that way from my point of view.

The whole 1 AAA per quarter thing isn't all that surprising to me. I think what is important is Microsoft getting PC and console gaming on the same "level" with input, and getting mobile gaming in there as well. Positioning Xbox as a platform rather than just a "console". That's what Phil hinted to during the podcast with Major Nelson and what ZhugeEX talked about in his last "State of Xbox" address lol ;). The studios will have a cadence for development and to have enough content from a first party so that any game can have more time before release and they can "switch out" games if need be. If you read in between the lines here, I don't think we will be getting release dates really far out (thank god) because it allows Microsoft to be flexible. I think they will show games but not really give a release date until it is actually ready to launch in that period. So while 1 AAA game per quarter is nice, don't think it's the only thing that MS is going to release. They are building a platform so they will have games that come out on mobile (Gears Pop) and on PC (Gears Tactics, AOE4, etc...) first before console and other smaller games in between (though I think Gears Tactics, and AOE4 are AAA but that's just me). So still expect smaller games from MS studios, and that's not a bad thing.

In regards to streaming. It's definitely something that Microsoft wants to work a lot. It will be the thing that they think will make them even more profitable and to show huge growth. It can enter markets where they couldn't before, and get gamers on a subscription that they always wanted who would never buy their console. I still believe it will come for free with Xbox Game Pass (though XGP will have tiers) to get as much volume and people on their platform, and I do mean that XGP subscription means you have access to stream, so it's not only streaming xgp games. It would really highlight the fact that Xbox is a platform and not just a console. That's why you'll see the revamp of their PC offerings this year, aligning with the launch of Xbox Game Pass on PC. I expect you'll see updates to their mobile applications that highlight some of these changes as well.

All in all, it seems MS is really making the big platform play and what services and offerings to customers is going to be "big".
Great post.

I believe there are still major puzzle pieces we are missing as of today, but the bigger picture and the Xbox road ahead is getting more and more clear - and also a little bit brighter every day I feel like.

Nov 12, 2017
Cmon guys..lets admit it
As a fan of microsoft i this time I find it hard to say that fun as it may be CD3 is certainly not the title that MS needs to raise its brand in the gaming world. It can entertain those who already have a microsoft console and a gamepass subscribction but it would have been a failure out of that service and certainly will not move in particular any hardware sale.
I think that consciously microsoft has been found between the anvil and the hammer. No longer able to give up the exit of the title because ..they had to show that the "power of the cloud" was not a bullshit ... and also because after the cancellation of scalebound..the closure of the lionhead studio and the cancellation of the old fable....also renounce at Crackdown3 would have been a kind of disaster. So they accepted all the title development problems and here we are .. but certainly this is not the AAA that microsoft users are looking for

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
4 big MS games a year (plus however many smaller games) will be the marquee. They will be plastered all over GP marketing materials. Each release will serve as a commercial for GP itself.

3P games will serve to justify the cost in many customers minds, and catch the audience who Microsoft's 1P doesn't cater to at that particular moment. A person only interested in AAA PvP shooters probably wouldn't be satiated by Halo and Gears for instance, so add some PUBG, Titanfall, the previous year's CoD, a Ubi shooter and you have a loyal subscriber I would think.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I love also from GamePass the bad games, you can try them for yourself and sometimes surprise for how bad they are and also are a better way to appreciate good games.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Cmon guys..lets admit it
As a fan of microsoft i this time I find it hard to say that fun as it may be CD3 is certainly not the title that MS needs to raise its brand in the gaming world. It can entertain those who already have a microsoft console and a gamepass subscribction but it would have been a failure out of that service and certainly will not move in particular any hardware sale.
I think that consciously microsoft has been found between the anvil and the hammer. No longer able to give up the exit of the title because ..they had to show that the "power of the cloud" was not a bullshit ... and also because after the cancellation of scalebound..the closure of the lionhead studio and the cancellation of the old fable....also renounce at Crackdown3 would have been a kind of disaster. So they accepted all the title development problems and here we are .. but certainly this is not the AAA that microsoft users are looking for

Who is saying that CD3 is the game destined to raise the Microsoft brand? People are saying that's irrelevant to enjoy the game.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
No matter the scope or budget attached to it, I am just happy that they are investing in more games. We already knew that with them acquiring 6 studios (and building a new one), but I also hope that we get to see a varied amount of games through Global Publishing.

About Crackdown 3, I don't see why the game should suddenly get perceived as a system seller. I'm sure Ms brought that back for this gen fully focused on goodwill for the Xbox fans. From all the preview footage, it does seem like the "most perfected" or "ultimate" Crackdown game in terms of gameplay and open world design.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
WHAT IF

MS BUYS KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS?
MOON. IT'S AN ASTRONAUT

sorry i'm drunk

No, it's not a possibility that's seriously considered by most people because of Kojima's ties to Sony, but it might make more sense than it initially appears, depending on what kind of deal MS offer them. That acquisition would be tantamount to smashing a PS4 on stage, it fits one of Microsoft's stated criteria for acquisitions (it's a studio centered around a strong, unique individual), and they even have some history together (MS published the PC version of the first MGS back in the day). Again, it's not a likely possibility at all, but it's a possibility nonetheless, and one that's fun to consider.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
zedox Yep. Totally agree. I think Xbox definitely CAN put out 4 AAAs in a year and that would be good. But that cannot be the sole focus. It's a great Halo effect (pun absolutely intended), but it's the partnerships that can set Game Pass and the overall library apart. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you beat everyone else as much as if your customers are happy with your service. Even Nintendo has failed in the past with fantastic first party output, because of a lack of 3rd party support.

Yea, integrating the storefront/streaming launcher with streaming games on every device makes a ton of sense. Kinda like what Discord and Twitch are doing, but with an already established platform.

I have found myself wondering lately whether MS would benefit from more aggressively pursuing Mixer-related opportunities. Not just implement partners or try to get new people to stream on a site where they won't get so totally buried. But actually "partner" with targeted content creators for regular shows designed to bring people in to the platform and designed to make the most of the interactivity. I think, for example, of tabletop gaming. There are plenty of big name D&D streams that launched fairly recently and all went to twitch because that was the default platform - the only option. Might that have been an opportunity to build on an established brand to create an engaged community that comes back to the platform week after week? And, should MS consciously combine targeted development of new talent with a few big names poached from elsewhere at the same time? (I know there are some ethics to consider here whether everyone gets a fair shake - but I think it would be ok.) I think these things have to happen in unison, because it's a perception problem and a scale problem. Having a good platform is crucial, but without MS aggressively supporting Mixer, it will have a hard time reaching the potential it certainly has.

I think we shouldn't take the 4 AAA games in a year so literally, it's really just talking about a steady stream of content from Microsoft on the service. You will see more Mixer-related things from MS. You will see more games integrate it into thier products. We see it with Forza, but don't be surprised when you see it with their bigger titles like Gears, and Halo. Sea of Thieves has it because it is a really streamable game. You'll see more features like "HypeZone" and all that stuff to get more people interested in the platform. Microsoft looks like they are building Mixer from a grassroots type of deal, meaning that they want that sense of community and people who use Mixer, love it and want to keep using it because it makes them stay in the Xbox platform ecosystem. I don't think we will get ads on Mixer...I mean, we could, but I just don't see why MS would do it especially at this point in time and what they plan on in the future.

Great post.

I believe there are still major puzzle pieces we are missing as of today, but the bigger picture and the Xbox road ahead is getting more and more clear - and also a little bit brighter every day I feel like.

I think everything still revolves around CCC, but we are probably not looking at some detail that really would pull everything together in a nice little bow. I think that Sea of Thieves is a good example of CCC. Cloud to stream, Content (the game), Community with the streamers. I think we will have our answer on the missing piece that we've been trying to figure out during E3.

Cmon guys..lets admit it

I personally think while CD3 isn't going to turn the world on fire, it's going to be a game that makes the fans happy and stick on their platform. While getting more users is always a goal, retention is just as important. Microsoft is making bank just on the users it has and to try to make those users happy should be its priority while it tries to shift the narrative (and truth) about not having good quality titles on their platform that groups of users want. I think, personally, that we will see that shift come this E3 and that going into next-generation of consoles, people will start looking at MS' 1st party offerings differently. I also think that people will look at MS differently from a platform point of view and that that will be something people will come to understand. Something that Microsoft wants people to understand as well. It's not just the console, it's the platform that goes with you wherever you are. Crackdown 3 is for Crackdown fans and people who are interested in it, and that's fine. No different than having games like The Last Guardian or Shenmue 3...games for fans even if they don't set the world on fire. Not every game needs to do that.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some in here should really grow themselves a new backbone. Wo cares what a bunch of fanboys that never intend to play the game say on the internet if you like the style or gameplay of a game that you also can get for almost free on Game Pass?

Nov 12, 2017
I personally think while CD3 isn't going to turn the world on fire, it's going to be a game that makes the fans happy and stick on their platform. While getting more users is always a goal, retention is just as important. Microsoft is making bank just on the users it has and to try to make those users happy should be its priority while it tries to shift the narrative (and truth) about not having good quality titles on their platform that groups of users want. I think, personally, that we will see that shift come this E3 and that going into next-generation of consoles, people will start looking at MS' 1st party offerings differently. I also think that people will look at MS differently from a platform point of view and that that will be something people will come to understand. Something that Microsoft wants people to understand as well. It's not just the console, it's the platform that goes with you wherever you are. Crackdown 3 is for Crackdown fans and people who are interested in it, and that's fine. No different than having games like The Last Guardian or Shenmue 3...games for fans even if they don't set the world on fire. Not every game needs to do that.

Look zedox i completely agree with you basically on everything...the point that i was making is ....right now on this market (gaming) there are 3 big companies....both of the are firing on all cylinder with their first party and AAA games....expecially the direct rival Sony. Albeit CD3 is what it is .....a fun game..the lack of other successful AAA titles in the microsoft portfolio (at least not as much as those of direct competitors)..have inevitably turned the spotlight on him. If microsoft had in those years other big AAA caliber titles ... I'm sure crackdown 3 would have been much better received by critics.

However I think as you ... we will see the microsoft completely change this E3 tone and with the advent of the new generation. I can not wait

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Negativity for like, a week. Then when they release games it's either apathy or dumb justifications.

That's the power good games have.

Look zedox i completely agree with you basically on everything...the point that i was making is ....right now on this market (gaming) there are 3 big companies....both of the are firing on all cylinder with their first party and AAA games....expecially the direct rival Sony. Albeit CD3 is what it is .....a fun game..the lack of other successful AAA titles in the microsoft portfolio (at least not as much as those of direct competitors)..have inevitably turned the spotlight on him. If microsoft had in those years other big AAA caliber titles ... I'm sure crackdown 3 would have been much better received by critics.

However I think as you ... we will see the microsoft completely change this E3 tone and with the advent of the new generation. I can not wait

I think this E3 will be majoritively about third parties on Xbox's stage, with Gears 5, Battletoads and Halo Infinite on the exclusive front.

But next year will be their actual big moment where they show off their next gen salvo.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

I'll say it like this. How much of Crackdown 3 will change things in the market? Probably not much both positive or negative. Keeping your fans happy is important. Increasing the value of Xbox Game Pass is important. They will have people try out the game that haven't tried out Crackdown before and probably gain some new fans, or gain some new streamers. The market is what it is. Microsoft, is clearly taking a slow approach to getting to a place where people respect what the are putting out. It first started with fixing what was wrong (price, kinect, "tv"), then making their services broad and affordable (W10, Xbox play anywhere, xbox game pass), then fixing their hardware (Xbox One S/X), and now we are in the period in which they fix their software offering and increasing their reach (studios, games, xcloud). The Xbox team knows what they have to put out and they know that they have fans and they see what type of business that they can run. So I wouldn't worry about how Crackdown 3 is recieved. It is an additive game to Xbox Game Pass subscription. Millions of people will play it. Those ambitious games will come.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Regarding MS' first party and putting it on Game pass, I find it ridiculous that people suddenly think they'll lower the quality and push for "mediocre unfinished games". We had the most critically well-received racing game of the generation launching day-one on GP and two other titles this year that will most likely reach the same heights as FH4 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.