• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018
Crossing all my toes and fingers for no leaks about Xbox this time around E3. Nothing like being mind blown and surprised during live feed.
I personally won't be against some mild leaks to ease the wait hahaha
Something not entirely clear so we have a starting point for speculation but based on something.
We knew PGG and Obsidian were gonna be acquired and yet I was just as excited when they announced it (because as with anything not yet made official, things can change at the last moment. Sometimes even when it's made official)

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Well, when it comes to KI, I don't know if Rare would've done just as good of a job as Double Helix or Iron Galaxy. I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with giving the right teams the right IPs if Rare won't work on them themselves. It's just that I generally want to see what Rare's current team could do with their IPs and it always kind of peeves me when they outsource them to others. I for sure thought Rare were the ones making Battetoads after all the inside info we got back on GAF, but then when it turned out that it was Dlala Studios, it bothered me a tiny bit (though it's possible the project initially started internally at Rare before moving to Dlala).

And handing off your IPs to other devs isn't always guaranteed to turn out so well. See: Conker's Big Reunion, Young Conker.

By traditional game, do you mean platformer or something? As Remo Williams already pointed out above, Rare has always tried new things, even in their golden days. Them suddenly making an online pirate adventure game out of nowhere isn't that crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised if their next game will be a genre they've never tackled before either.

Traditional as in single player games. Sea of Thieves is something I never wanna touch at all. Just not for me.

I'm extremely pissed at Rare due to seeing recent success with Crash and Spyro and them doing absolutely nothing. Easy money there but MS/Rare have no sense this gen.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think Rare work on whatever they want to work on.

The actual quote btw with regards to old franchises is they would never return to them unless they have a way to bring them back in a new way.

I fully believe Perfect Dark is thier next project and it's being directed by Louise O Connor

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I wouldn't be suprised if Rare bring back Perfect Dark as an Immersive Sim, like they originally intended Core to be.

Huge focus on the single player

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think we'll see a ton of new announcements at E3 (and anyone who does are setting themselves up for failure) I think we will get a lot of info on stuff announced, for everything 1st party related I'm expecting:

Gears 5
Ori 2
Battletoads
Age of Empires 4 reveal
Gears Tactics
Minecraft Dungeons

Halo Infinite reveal
Ninja Theory announcement

Outer Worlds release date/ day one Gamepass announcement
Wasteland 3 release date

Sea of Thieves update
FH4 2nd expansion reveal/ shadow drop

For me this alone would be one of Xbox's best 1st part showings ever at an E3, and while I don't think we'll see anything from Playground or Rares 2nd teams (too soon imo) or anything else from XGP, IF we did that would be something else.

It's the E3 before the year of the new consoles, who cares if you reveal a game earlier than planned as next year will be all about the hardware announcements and how they reveal them.

What are the recent announcements that have generated the most hype and column inches? I'd probably say Sony's E3 of dreams, Nintendo and Metroid, Sony and TLoU2 and Kojima with Death Stranding etc etc. All of these games have been announced years before release and it doesn't seem to hinder them or the platform in the slightest. If you think about it it's the last E3 before new hardware is spoken about, most of these games are going to be cross gen I would imagine anyway so there's no harm in showing a few games early as you'll still be able to buy them on a XB1.

Phil said he intends to go big at E3, I just hope me and him have the same definition of big in mind.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I rather they work on new games then remasters.
Agreed. Rare should work on new IP like SoT etc. They are a great and expanding team, so tying them to just remakes would be a little disappointing. What I do think should happen is Rare support other teams that will work on their old IP. There are a good few teams that MS should get hold of and give old Rare IP to. KI should have another shot as well and I think it could be massive with Game Pass.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with this. Ms have built up a reputation as a gears, halo and forza factory for a while now so it's really positive to see them branching out with new ip even if it's things like sea of thieves (which tbh I didn't enjoy either). They've got a growing library of devs they can assign to their old ips so we get things like battletoads as well.

I just hope they do put some resource against games like crimson skies, project Gotham and blast corps (I assume rare own the license to this?).

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
i agree too rare should just move on besides most of their current developers were not with the studio in their past glory...these current rare devs wants to make a name for themselves not continue to remaster someone's idea..and they have said it many times..they need to move onto new ideas and concepts...

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I personally won't be against some mild leaks to ease the wait hahaha
Something not entirely clear so we have a starting point for speculation but based on something.
We knew PGG and Obsidian were gonna be acquired and yet I was just as excited when they announced it (because as with anything not yet made official, things can change at the last moment. Sometimes even when it's made official)
True we need some hype teasing. Like when Spencer was playing with us with the rumored 6tflops Scorpio.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Rare should be working on more SP games. They already have a successful MP service based game and it would be stupid of them to try to make a second one. If they're still hiring and are eventually going to be a 300+ person studio, they should focus on pumping more content into Sea of Thieves rather than double dip with a second MP game that would take time and resources away from SOT.

One of the reasons why Siege is so successful is because Ubisoft practically throws content at it.

I'd be extremely disappointed if their second project was a MP focused game, and would be ecstatic if it were a smaller, SP 40$ game similar to Ratchet and Clank, 6-8 hours but extremely high production values.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Speaking of Rainbow Six Siege. I hope MS will wise up and put Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 on Steam. They know they're about to see MCC shoot through the roof when it hits and there's no doubt that they're paying close attention to the numbers.

Do we know if AOE4 and Gears Tactics will be on Steam or no word yet? I'd wager at least AOE4 will be.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

When people want Rare to return to older IPs, they're not just asking for remasters. While a graphically overhauled remake of Banjo Kazooie ala Conker: L&R would be cool, I think an entirely new Banjo or Conker game would be absolutely awesome. Whenever Craig Duncan gets asked about old IPs in interviews, he always seems to think fans want Rare to "remake" old games when they're actually asking for new entries in these franchises.

Though it is kind of bizarre that MS and Rare didn't do shit for Banjo's 20th anniversary last year. Not even a remake or anything. If they did something, then it was probably something insignificant considering I don't remember/haven't heard about anything. Weren't there Banjo figurines or something? Meh.

Apr 6, 2018
If they managed to find talent in Mediterranean or Eastern countries, not at all. In countries like Spain and Italy, most Senior Designers are being payed as much as 35-40k a year. Senior. Also, office expenses & resources would also be cheaper, and cities like Barcelona and Milan offer awesome tech hubs and overall environment.

I guess it's more about control and having studios closer, so for them it's easier to travel within the US and to UK rather than having to visit 6 different countries.
>Italy
>cheaper
Pick one.
In Italy the state is a fucking greedy volture which takes over 40% in taxes

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
When people want Rare to return to older IPs, they're not just asking for remasters. While a graphically overhauled remake of Banjo Kazooie ala Conker: L&R would be cool, I think an entirely new Banjo or Conker game would be absolutely awesome. Whenever Craig Duncan gets asked about old IPs in interviews, he always seems to think fans want Rare to "remake" old games when they're actually asking for new entries in these franchises.

Though it is kind of bizarre that MS and Rare didn't do shit for Banjo's 20th anniversary last year. Not even a remake or anything. If they did something, then it was probably something insignificant considering I don't remember/haven't heard about anything. Weren't there Banjo figurines or something? Meh.
Well the poster brought up Spyro and Crash. And to be fair i am not really keen on that.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
It's the E3 before the year of the new consoles, who cares if you reveal a game earlier than planned as next year will be all about the hardware announcements and how they reveal them.

What are the recent announcements that have generated the most hype and column inches? I'd probably say Sony's E3 of dreams, Nintendo and Metroid, Sony and TLoU2 and Kojima with Death Stranding etc etc. All of these games have been announced years before release and it doesn't seem to hinder them or the platform in the slightest. If you think about it it's the last E3 before new hardware is spoken about, most of these games are going to be cross gen I would imagine anyway so there's no harm in showing a few games early as you'll still be able to buy them on a XB1.

Phil said he intends to go big at E3, I just hope me and him have the same definition of big in mind.

The early announcement thing is a double edged sword though, Metroid has had to be publicly rebooted, TLoU2 and Death Stranding are still a long way off 3 years after being announced, and MS have fallen foul of early announcements this gen too many times.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE it if Fable was announced, but only if Playground are genuinely ready to show it off (especially knowing the strain making an E3 demo places on game devs) and I would love it if there was a new XGP game we didn't know about, but again, only if the devs making it are ready to show it off.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
We dont know. Maybe that game they are working on is a 3d platformer.

All signs point to it being a new IP, no? So with that in mind, I think their new game being a 3D platformer is highly improbable. If they wanted to make a platformer, I think they'd probably use one of their legacy IPs for such an idea. I don't think a new platformer IP would go down too well with fans, but this is Rare we're talking about. Nothing is off the table with those guys lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All signs point to it being a new IP, no? So with that in mind, I think their new game being a 3D platformer is highly improbable. If they wanted to make a platformer, I think they'd probably use one of their legacy IPs for such an idea. I don't think a new platformer IP would go down too well with fans, but this is Rare we're talking about. Nothing is off the table with those guys lol.
I am a fan and i would love a new IP 3d platformer.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely want to see Rare return to an old IP at some point. Perfect Dark doesn't really make sense to me though. None of the OG GE/PD devs are left at Rare afaik, and they haven't hired new devs with shooter experience either. Instead, they should lend the IP out to a studio with ex GE/PD devs (like Sumo Nottingham or Dambuster) or to a new studio with the right experience (like The Coalition, The Initiative, IO Interactive).

Banjo-Kazooie remake and/or sequel is the in-house project that makes the most sense to me. My second pick would be a Viva Pinata sequel on console, pc and touch devices. Maybe Conker as my third choice, but only if Chris Seavor was brought in to consult on the project.

For some more unconventional picks I'd go with RC Pro-Am 64-2 and Sabreman Stampede.

Apr 6, 2018
Yeah seriously doesn't matter who makes these games as long as they are good and handled well.

Also I don't like current Rare since I have yet to see a traditional game from them. How would you know they can revive any of their IPs themselves when their attitude is: we don't feel like it bro.
I don't see Rare doing something "traditional", like all their history, they always tried to do something different from their past and fans expectations. SoT is a perfect example of that attitude. So I don't expect their next game being something traditional

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
While I don't think we'll see a ton of new announcements at E3 (and anyone who does are setting themselves up for failure) I think we will get a lot of info on stuff announced, for everything 1st party related I'm expecting:

Gears 5
Ori 2
Battletoads
Age of Empires 4 reveal
Gears Tactics
Minecraft Dungeons

Halo Infinite reveal
Ninja Theory announcement

Outer Worlds release date/ day one Gamepass announcement
Wasteland 3 release date

Sea of Thieves update
FH4 2nd expansion reveal/ shadow drop

For me this alone would be one of Xbox's best 1st part showings ever at an E3, and while I don't think we'll see anything from Playground or Rares 2nd teams (too soon imo) or anything else from XGP, IF we did that would be something else.

awesome indeed.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
The signs are pointing towards a new IP, I think there is a chance that we see some older Rare properties comming back, but with other studios as the main developers.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
New Ip with throwbacks to the past Rare games seems like a good guess. I'm really curious what's happening right now in that third team.

Seems like they'd be going for a genre they haven't really done before. Maybe something horror-esque? I'd love to see a physics type of game similar to Octodad or Humans Fall Flat.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
If there's one IP I would like to see Rare return to, it's Kameo. Apart from Nuts & Bolts, it's my favourite Rare game.

But something brand new would also be great.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
New Ip with throwbacks to the past Rare games seems like a good guess. I'm really curious what's happening right now in that third team.

Seems like they'd be going for a genre they haven't really done before. Maybe something horror-esque? I'd love to see a physics type of game similar to Octodad or Humans Fall Flat.

The idea of Rare making a horror game is something that has been entering my mind as of late! That'd definitely be something very interesting. I'd like to see something more darker from Rare in general. Their lighthearted and cartoony games are great and all, but that's all we've been seeing from them since at least the launch of the 360.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
The idea of Rare making a horror game is something that has been entering my mind as of late! That'd definitely be something very interesting. I'd like to see something more darker from Rare in general. Their lighthearted and cartoony games are great and all, but that's all we've been seeing from them since at least the launch of the 360.

Isn't almost everyone going the serious, dark and sentimental route? This area is well covered by third party, we need someone making some "Nintendo-like", colorful, happy and lighthearted games for Xbox.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't almost everyone going the serious, dark and sentimental route? This area is well covered by third party, we need someone making some "Nintendo-like", colorful, happy and lighthearted games for Xbox.

Well, you kinda got that with Sea of Thieves, and I guess they'll continue that route: Rare signature + GaaS

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

True, but it's not like Rare is the only studio Microsoft can use to produce family friendly games. MS shouldn't pidgeon hole Rare into making only cartoony games like they've been doing for the past three generations. This kind of mindset is what led to many cancellations of interesting looking projects at Rare that were of a darker nature.

When I said darker games, I didn't necessarily mean your typical cinematic grey and brown games that dominate the market. I don't think Rare would ever want to make such a game anyway. They've had some "darker" games in the past like KI, Conker, and Perfect Dark. A new Conker would be refreshing and cool to see and still would be a cartoony game to boot. A new PD game also has the potential to stand out amongst other shooters out there methinks. It's been a long while since we've seen that side of Rare.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, you kinda got that with Sea of Thieves, and I guess they'll continue that route: Rare signature + GaaS
I doubt they'll work on two GaaS games at a time.

I think Sea of Thieves has proven successful enough to be their "on-going engine", while the other (and a bit smaller) team can just work on new ideas. Like you said, I expect their second game to be a "Rare signature" game, so something very unique.

Last edited:

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I doubt they'll work on two GaaS games at a time.

I think Sea of Thieves has proven successful enough to be their "on-going engine", while the other (and a bit smaller) team can just work on new ideas. Like you said, I expect their second game a "Rare signature" game, so something very unique.

I think thier next game will be opposite of Sea of Thieves. Like I said above an Immersive Sim.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Good question from the audience in how Sea of Thieves is sustaining itself with no extra MTX etc yet.
I mean we know why but Joe Neate explains it nicely. @20:33

This is precisely one of the benefits of being a first party studio. Your future/success isn't riding purely on making "profit" on your title. As long as you are contributing in other important metrics for your parent company

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Hmm, someone said Kameo. What if Ninja Theory did a re-imagined Kameo? A little darker, Altered Beast style maybe? That would definitely be interesting.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I don't understand why people are so keen on seeing remakes and sequels. I doubt most of those old Rare IPs are still relevant enough to justify big budget sequels and priority over new projects. I really hope that Microsoft is prepping a boom of new experiences, gamaplay concepts, worlds and characters. My bet is that most studios will work on new stuff: Rare, Ninja Theory, InXile, Compulsion...

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are so keen on seeing remakes and sequels. I doubt most of those old Rare IPs are still relevant enough to justify big budget sequels and priority over new projects. I really hope that Microsoft is prepping a boom of new experiences, gamaplay concepts, worlds and characters. My bet is that most studios will work on new stuff: Rare, Ninja Theory, InXile, Compulsion...
Rare remakes and sequels does not have to be expensive to be viable.

Look at the way they handled Killer Instinct 2013 and Battletoads 2019. They're not AAA projects.

Banjo-Kazooie could easily be brought back as a 40$ mid-tier game and succeed. There is absolutely demand for it too.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There is also finding the correct partner for it. They said Dlala came to them with a great idea and concept and they took it.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Wasteland 2 is unplayable on consoles, the dialogue is too fking small, but the game is great on PC and I'll be looking forward to Wasteland 3

Wasteland 3 at E3 and day one Gamepass?

Also I expect Wasteland 3's production values to go through the roof since they aren't relying on kickstarter money anymore.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how this all works with studios like Obsidian for example who are already working on a game with another publisher and yet MS bought them.
That would be messy with how much the other publisher is giving in terms of money atm and in the meantime MS is owning them. Or maybe MS fully waits to really "take them over" until their game ships.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how this all works with studios like Obsidian for example who are already working on a game with another publisher and yet MS bought them.
That would be messy with how much the other publisher is giving in terms of money atm and in the meantime MS is owning them. Or maybe MS fully waits to really "take them over" until their game ships.

I'm more interested in what it means for them wrt to knowledge of competitor next gen consoles...

Status
Not open for further replies.