• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
It's not out of the realm. Rdr2 probably had one. 1000 people at 100k a year for 5 years

I'm pretty sure this day in age the total cost per employee(wage, insurance, office space, and work space expenses like electrical and rent) is over 125k per year at this point.

For halo assuming average cost per employee I's 100k and assuming 5 year dev time
300 people=150 million budget
400 people= 200 million budget
500 people =250 million budget
600 people = 300 million
700 people =350 million
So I would guess the development budget is 250 millionish. At least 200 million. I think 100k is lowballing it for total employee expenses. Between 343 and skybox labs I'm guessing a little under 500 people working on the game from start to finish. If the number was only around 200 people at the start I think it will even out because it appears the amount of people on it now is approaching 600.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I wouldn't count on this too much, I mention this every now and then because Hellblade is one of my favorite games ever, but Tameem has said that Hellblade shouldn't be taken as a base going forward and that their next few projects will probably be more "traditional".

I'm expecting an action game along the lines of DMC, that's based mostly on my speculation and a little bit off of things I've heard around.

i'll take it.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It's not out of the realm. Rdr2 probably had one. 1000 people at 100k a year for 5 years

I'm pretty sure this day in age the total cost per employee(wage, insurance, office space, and work space expenses like electrical and rent) is over 125k per year at this point.

For halo assuming average cost per employee I's 100k and assuming 5 year dev time
300 people=150 million budget
400 people= 200 million budget
500 people =250 million budget
600 people = 300 million
700 people =350 million
So I would guess the development budget is 250 millionish. At least 200 million. I think 100k is lowballing it for total employee expenses. Between 343 and skybox labs I'm guessing a little under 500 people working on the game from start to finish. If the number was only around 200 people at the start I think it will even out because it appears the amount of people on it now is approaching 600.

who knows??

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I just want to see Xbox studios expand beyond thier comfort zone of NA and UK.

So many great teams out there in Europe

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
If they managed to find talent in Mediterranean or Eastern countries, not at all. In countries like Spain and Italy, most Senior Designers are being payed as much as 35-40k a year. Senior. Also, office expenses & resources would also be cheaper, and cities like Barcelona and Milan offer awesome tech hubs and overall environment.

I guess it's more about control and having studios closer, so for them it's easier to travel within the US and to UK rather than having to visit 6 different countries.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If they managed to find talent in Mediterranean or Eastern countries, not at all. In countries like Spain and Italy, most Senior Designers are being payed as much as 35-40k a year. Senior. Also, office expenses & resources would also be cheaper, and cities like Barcelona and Milan offer awesome tech hubs and overall environment.

I guess it's more about control and having studios closer, so for them it's easier to travel within the US and to UK rather than having to visit 6 different countries.

Exactly.

It's about time MS stopped looking at this as hubs and instead as a big worldwide family of studios

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty simple math. Just got to know the amount of people on the game to get a rough idea of the budget.

Marketing makes up a huge portion of game budgets nowadays. Consider that a large scale YouTube campaign could be $250k per day , a super bowl ad being $5million and a TV as during the appropriate timing will be 10's of thousands each time it is shown.
Now imagine you need to do that in multiple countries.

In the UK for example, if you want to do all the advertising expected for say, washing powder or nappies they won't spend less than 30million otherwise the effectiveness is reduced to being almost a whisper.

This is why AAA gaming is open to nobody but the biggest publishers nowadays, who have income from services besides just the game they are selling.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Marketing makes up a huge portion of game budgets nowadays. Consider that a large scale YouTube campaign could be $250k per day , a super bowl ad being $5million and a TV as during the appropriate timing will be 10's of thousands each time it is shown.
Now imagine you need to do that in multiple countries.

In the UK for example, if you want to do all the advertising expected for say, washing powder or nappies they won't spend less than 30million otherwise the effectiveness is reduced to being almost a whisper.

This is why AAA gaming is open to nobody but the biggest publishers nowadays, who have income from services besides just the game they are selling.

Games marketing is cheaper today, because TV ads are not that important anymore.
It's content creators and press articles, you get for "basically free"
If your game is good streamer will play it for free and you don't have to pay them.
E3 is "free marketing" if you consider the costs to run the should would be there anyway.

Microsofts marketing strategy shifted a lot during the last few years.
They don't even spend stupid money on third party deals anymore.
iSpot-December-spend.png

(US only)

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves panel at EGX, starts at 2:10:36. They talk about the anniversary update, they let some details and impressions from the media event slip along the way. The most interesting detail being that Tall Tales exceed a lot of the journalists expectations, they got lots of cool comments (2:20:03.) Christopher Dring (The interviewer, GamesIndustry.Biz) was at Rare this week and said he was surprised by the production values, apparently they are using professional voice actors rather than the studio staff this time.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Games marketing is cheaper today, because TV ads are not that important anymore.
If your game is good streamer will play it for free and you don't have to pay them.
E3 is "free marketing" if you consider the costs to run the should would be there anyway.

iSpot-December-spend.png

(US only)
Wow. I don't even see Oculus or King ads. Granted, I don't watch much TV nowadays.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

iSpot-December-spend.png

(US only)

interesting

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves panel at EGX, starts at 2:10:36. They talk about the anniversary update, they let some details and impressions from the media event slip along the way. The most interesting detail being that Tall Tales exceed a lot of the journalists expectations, they got lots of cool comments (2:20:03.) Christopher Dring (The interviewer, GamesIndustry.Biz) was at Rare this week and said he was surprised by the production values, apparently they are using professional voice actors rather than the studio staff this time.

Cool interview. Joe says its about a 50% split between sales/gamepass.

Microsoft announced over five million players back in July. Since then its contined to see popularity spikes.

Which means SOT has probably sold around 3 million?

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
the 125k per employee you came up with is not pretty simple math though.
Kinda is total expenses for a US employee is usually 20-30% over there wages. That's for insurance and workman's comp, etc. that doesn't include costs for putting them in an office space and building costs like rent and what not.
So if the average 343 employee is in the 70-80k range total expenses per employee should be a bit over 100k a year.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cool interview. Joe says its about a 50% split between sales/gamepass.

Microsoft announced over five million players back in July. Since then its contined to see popularity spikes.

Which means SOT has probably sold around 3 million?
To be honest I expect the game to have many more players than 6 Mio by now. That 5 Mio is almost one year old. The game keeps being in the top 5 of Game Pass titles and - as you said - saw many popularity spikes. I expect the game getting closer to 10 Mio players every day, with the Anniversary Update just another big boost towards that number.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
To be honest I expect the game to have many more players than 6 Mio by now. That 5 Mio is almost one year old. The game keeps being in the top 5 of Game Pass titles and - as you said - saw many popularity spikes. I expect the game getting closer to 10 Mio players every day, with the Anniversary Update just another big boost towards that number.
Eh, few games double their populations post launch. I don't know if Sea of Thieves is one of them, even with the boon of Game pass.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

I agree. But reaching 7 or 8m would probably warrent a press release.

Shrouded Spoils probably gave the game a decent boost. My guess at this points SOT is well north of 6m players.

Which means 3.5m game sales is probably the best estimate atm.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that Sea of Thieves has a good chance at reaching the upper echelon of best-selling Rare games. Goldeneye or DKC will be hard to reach, but beating DKR, DKC2 and DK64's 5 million units is far from impossible. It could even beat Kinect Sports and become Rare's best selling Xbox title ever.

If it was at 8m, that seems like something Microsoft would announce publicly.
Maybe they're holding off on announcing updated player numbers until the Anniversary update hits.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If it was at 8m, that seems like something Microsoft would announce publicly.
I don't think so. They aren't doing these updates with FH4 neither every month - and I think we both can agree this game will have MUCH higher numbers by now than last announced.

Maybe we get an update on the Anniversary trailer - or at E3. I think it makes sense to announce 10 Mio - but announcing numbers for every full million at random times seems ... Senseless.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so. They aren't doing these updates with FH4 neither every month - and I think we both can agree this game will have MUCH higher numbers by now than last announced.

Maybe we get an update on the Anniversary trailer - or at E3. I think it makes sense to announce 10 Mio - but announcing numbers for every full million at random times seems ... Senseless.

It makes sense to announce the player base at E3, because they're going to announce next DLC.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

cool vid and info.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What if they put the xcloud sub into the xbox live sub? That its part of xbox live gold.
Xbox live Gold is already know for online stuff and that way you keep the subs also down.

Status
Not open for further replies.