• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you're not playing Killer Queen Black on Game Pass... you should be playing Killer Queen Black.

Game absolutely rules.

vids-killer-queen.jpg

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020

Please let me know if I'm missing something or am reaching on something. I would be happy to update it

Added: FFXVI to 2022

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield is going to be coming out before Infinite, the 20th anniversary for Halo is in November.
I still doubt Starfield is this year. That was probably the plan pre-COVID. I honestly don't think they need Starfield and Halo this year. Starfield next May or something would be incredible.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I still doubt Starfield is this year. That was probably the plan pre-COVID. I honestly don't think they need Starfield and Halo this year. Starfield next May or something would be incredible.
Nate Drake just said the plan as of a couple of months ago was a 2021 release. If you're still planning that 9+ months after COVID started then you kind of understand how WFH has impacted your development.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Nate Drake just said the plan as of a couple of months ago was a 2021 release. If you're still planning that 9 months after COVID started then you kind of understand how WFH has impacted your development.
That's fair - I do think devs have been able to adjust but it's pretty clear it is going to impact a lot of games this year. Haven't seen the comments/not sure who Nate Drake is but definitely interesting.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes people think that, even without Covid, Starfield would be out this year? It's not Fallout 4, this is a brand new IP, I don't think they can pull the whole reveal-and-release within 6 months thing... unless this is literally just a reskin of Fallout.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair - I do think devs have been able to adjust but it's pretty clear it is going to impact a lot of games this year. Haven't seen the comments/not sure who Nate Drake is but definitely interesting.
Nate is an insider here in ERA that's been right about a number of things.
So Starfield is, what, September? Yeah, I think it would be really unwise to expect that. But you do you.
It'll be October I bet.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
What makes people think that, even without Covid, Starfield would be out this year? It's not Fallout 4, this is a brand new IP, I don't think they can pull the whole reveal-and-release within 6 months thing... unless this is literally just a reskin of Fallout.
All the rumours and leaks said it was always for 2021 I just think covid delays it. Even if it was still slated for 2021 3 months ago a lot can change in those 3 months

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I think Wolf 3 comes out this year.

I think that's your big 4 for the year:
Wolf 3 - August
Horizon 5 - September
Infinite - October
Starfield - November

I've said it before but I seriously don't think they're going to drop Horizon 5 on us out of no where, when they've shown Motorsport first. Horizon 4 coming to Steam read to me like they intend to support that game for a while longer.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
I've said it before but I seriously don't think they're going to drop Horizon 5 on us out of no where, when they've shown Motorsport first. Horizon 4 coming to Steam read to me like they intend to support that game for a while longer.
This is my opinion also, but if that's the case horizon won't be out until 2023 which would be a 4 year dev cycle

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why on earth not? Sony released Last of Us and Ghost within a month.

Notably not the same fiscal quarter, though. (And I also don't think Sony would describe those back-to-back releases as ideal; they originally wanted TLOU2 to drop in February.)

You're all welcome to expect whatever but I think expecting Starfield to release before Halo is foolish.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
No way they send Halo and Starfield out a month apart and within the same fiscal quarter.

Sony did it for Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Phil Spencer has already said this holiday is much more important than launch, as supply catches up with demand. It makes sense to me that they'd want to have a really killer line-up.

Edit: beaten to it

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Notably not the same fiscal quarter, though. (And I also don't think Sony would describe those back-to-back releases as ideal; they originally wanted TLOU2 to drop in February.)

You're all welcome to expect whatever but I think expecting Starfield to release before Halo is foolish.
And Halo was supposed to release in 2020, not exactly ideal for MS either!

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

You're putting way too much stock in the idea that companies artificially space games to fill some quarterly quota. I guess you're surprised Sony released DS and Miles at launch when they should have held one for Q1?

As Babu93 said, Xbox knows this holiday is important and I'm pretty sure they will come with more than Halo.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
You're putting way too much stock in the idea that companies artificially space games to fill some quarterly quota. I guess you're surprised Sony released DS and Miles at launch when they should have held one for Q1?

As Babu93 said, Xbox knows this holiday is important and I'm pretty sure they will come with more than Halo.
that's true, disney+ released the mandalorian and wandavision on back to back months

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
March is probably the most pathetic Games with Gold in a while. Lol

Just get rid of Gold already, the value proposition is awful.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sony did it for Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

No, not within the same quarter.

And even then that was a special case that doesn't apply here. TLOU2 and GoT were set for release in the early stages of covid. TLOU2 was briefly delayed indefinitely and its release date was pushed closer to GoT than originally intended. Sony was scrambling. It seems very unlikely to me that, over a year on, Microsoft would find themselves in the same position.

You're putting way too much stock in the idea that companies artificially space games to fill some quarterly quota.

Companies run on quarters. It's not a coincidence that Capcom is releasing Monster Hunter Rise and RE Village six weeks apart but those six weeks happen to be in different quarters. It's not a coincidence that Nintendo is releasing Mario Golf and Zelda Skyward Sword HD three weeks apart but those three weeks happen to be in different quarters. Companies absolutely do pace out their releases to try to ensure consistently positive results.

I really didn't expect "Microsoft probably won't send out Starfield, one of their two biggest games of the last five years and a game we've barely even seen, a month ahead of their other biggest game of the last five years, of which we've seen a great deal, and also in the same month Bethesda is also already launching a different game" to be so controversial.

I'm sure they will come with more than Halo too. But I'm not expecting both Halo and Starfield, and if by some chance they both are coming this year I'm certainly not expecting Starfield first.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Considering we paid for Gold for years with zero free games, any month that has games I don't already own is a win.

Obv. fuck paying for mp in 2021 though.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
No, not within the same quarter.

And even then that was a special case that doesn't apply here. TLOU2 and GoT were set for release in the early stages of covid. TLOU2 was briefly delayed indefinitely and its release date was pushed closer to GoT than originally intended. Sony was scrambling. It seems very unlikely to me that, over a year on, Microsoft would find themselves in the same position.

Companies run on quarters. It's not a coincidence that Capcom is releasing Monster Hunter Rise and RE Village six weeks apart but those six weeks happen to be in different quarters. It's not a coincidence that Nintendo is releasing Mario Golf and Zelda Skyward Sword HD three weeks apart but those three weeks happen to be in different quarters.

I really didn't expect "Microsoft probably won't send out Starfield, one of their two biggest games of the last five years and a game we've barely even seen, a month ahead of their other biggest game of the last five years, of which we've seen a great deal, and also in the same month Bethesda is also already launching a different game" to be so controversial.

I'm sure they will come with more than Halo too. But I'm not expecting both Halo and Starfield, and if by some chance they both are coming this year I'm certainly not expecting Starfield first.

Of course companies run on quarters, but they don't artificially kneecap their overall success just to make a nice number. If Xbox has a shitty holiday so that Starfield can give them a Q1 bump that's a failure.

Anyways what's weirdest to me is how strongly you're arguing about Starfield not coming before Halo. Seems obvious Halo is coming Nov, so when would you expect Starfield to come if it's a holiday game? December? October or earlier in Nov seems a lot more likely.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Anyways what's weirdest to me is how strongly you're arguing about Starfield not coming before Halo. Seems obvious Halo is coming Nov, so when would you expect Starfield to come if it's a holiday game? December? October or earlier in Nov seems a lot more likely.

I don't actually think Starfield is a holiday game. And if it is, I suspect Halo wouldn't be — that it would be coming earlier than we suspect, like September. That said, I (again) find this scenario much less likely than Halo being the November game and Starfield being 2022.

I'm sure at one point Starfield was planned for Q4 2021, but I have trouble believing that covid had no effect.

I don't think Microsoft sees Starfield as required for the Xbox to not have "a shitty holiday." And if anything, I think the reaction to Cyberpunk is likely to make them a little gun-shy about releasing something with the usual BGS levels of polish at launch.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I don't actually think Starfield is a holiday game. And if it is, I suspect Halo wouldn't be — that it would be coming earlier than we suspect, like September. That said, I (again) find this scenario much less likely than Halo being the November game and Starfield being 2022.

I'm sure at one point Starfield was planned for Q4 2021, but I have trouble believing that covid had no effect.

I don't think Microsoft sees Starfield as required for the Xbox to not have "a shitty holiday." And if anything, I think the reaction to Cyberpunk is likely to make them a little gun-shy about releasing something with the usual BGS levels of polish at launch.

Well, I think Starfield probably already had its delay baked in. If we are seeing screens from 2018 builds, then 2020 could well have been the original target.

My argument about holiday is that A. Xbox folks keep mentioning the game, I think it would be odd if it's not coming soonish and B. They know they have a strategic window to change perception and bend the sales curve early in the gen. We have already had it confirmed that on the Sony side GT won't make 2021 and semi-confirmed that God of War won't. If Xbox has a readily available $299 system on the shelf with Starfield, Halo, and a Forza title, they could be looking at an inflection point for their perception and success in the market this gen.

And incidentally that's the difference between MS and the examples you gave of Capcom and Nintendo - those are literally software companies whose value and overall results are driven by single game releases. Gaming at MS is still a rounding error that doesn't move the stock price. They have every reason to favor capitalizing on a significant opportunity over polishing up quarter-over-quarter Xbox division numbers. I think Starfield at holiday would hit perfectly - a big exclusive Bethesda RPG, "from the makers of Skyrim" , etc.

Of course I could be totally wrong but that would seem much more enticing to me than dropping it in Feb or whatever.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I think they'll drop Starfield whenever it's ready, but I think September's probably the latest month in the year you want a new IP releasing, really, particularly a first person one.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If Xbox has a readily available $299 system on the shelf with Starfield, Halo, and a Forza title, they could be looking at an inflection point for their perception and success in the market this gen.
The lineup would be very strong for the holidays indeed. I agree with your post.
Does this mean anything?
Those are the possibilities:
  • Xbox twitter wants to vote for Fable and Avowed. In this case it wouldn't be a teaser imo
  • Xbox wants to vote for three or four of them. Then it's them just having fun or a teaser?

Dec 29, 2019
I find you guys put too much weight on Game Pass. My opinion is that GP (& cloud gaming) is just more or less a bait to attract Satya Nadella and the board investing into Xbox division.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I find you guys put too much weight on Game Pass. My opinion is that GP (& cloud gaming) is more or less a a bait to attract Satya Nadella and the board investing into Xbox division.
So you are saying Nadella is dumb, because he gets easily fooled? Nadella is a smart guy and Gamepass is the strategy of Microsoft for Xbox.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The way I see it is, Microsoft is basically mounting a comeback campaign for Halo this year. I know some people in this thread might not think Halo needs a comeback, but it does. Microsoft wants Halo to be more relevant than it has been in a decade. They have a hugely expensive new game and a big new Showtime series. They want Halo Infinite to be the gaming event of the year. They're not going to want to step on its moment with a title that honestly would overshadow it, despite being a new IP.

Think of it this way. Is Microsoft going to release a limited edition Series X to mark the launch of Halo Infinite? Absolutely, positively, and they'll probably release special controllers too. Is Microsoft going to do the same for Starfield? Of course. Now, does it seem likely that Microsoft going to release two limited edition hardware designs within a month of each other?

Again, you're all welcome to expect whatever you want, but I think expecting Starfield (which we've barely even seen, officially!) in October and Halo in November is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I find you guys put too much weight on Game Pass. My opinion is that GP (& cloud gaming) is more or less a a bait to attract Satya Nadella and the board investing into Xbox division.

People 'round these here parts do think of Game Pass in pretty magical terms, but I don't think that second sentence is correct. No one got tricked.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Halo and Starfield don't exactly operate in the same sectors. Not to mention Halo's multiplayer is free to play so it's going to be massive regardless of whatever else comes out. It's the same thing for Starfield too, unless the game somehow turns out to be bad it's going to do well regardless of what releases around it.

Also, in terms of special editions consoles, I don't expect one for either game. They can't even get enough normal consoles out the door right now, let alone a special edition.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They want Halo Infinite to be the gaming event of the year.
I hear you, but Microsoft shouldn't make the same mistake twice and rely only on 343 Halo. There need to be more heavy hitters, especially when you want to grow Gamepass and get some consoles sold. One could argue if Halo doesn't beat Starfield as the big exclusive this holiday, then Halo isn't as big as before anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.