Status
Not open for further replies.

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Most likely due to difficulties with licensing. I know they've said there were games that were a challenge to license just to get on back compat, and that's simply making a game that can already be purchased available on a new system. Getting those games where the rights holders may be convoluted to agree to appear on a subscription service, and the payment structure that entails, is probably even harder.

That makes sense when it comes to third-party games, but what about stuff like Blinx or other Microsoft properties?

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this is just a mistake? I thought it was only announced for console, and if you go to the page, it only shows console.
6bMBltv.png

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man I think children of Morta has beaten gears of war by becoming my favorite game pass game!! What a fucking game it is and such a creative way to make you play all the characters. I may hate kevin and his short shitty knifes but damnit I want his skills for the family! FOR THE FAMILY!!!!

Except like the witcher 3 and GTA5 but I didn't play those on Gamepass so I don't really count them

Last edited:

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Frostpunk before going to work and really enjoyed what I played. I'm only worried about the 20 people that have already died and I'm only 90 minutes into the game lol.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat A Plague Tale last year and honestly hated it. I found the gameplay incredibly boring and the story to be awful (that ending...). I thought some of the voice acting was decent. I liked the art design. Those weren't nearly good enough to overcome the flaws though. That being said I've seen plenty of others mention enjoying it a lot so I recognize I'm likely in the minority.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Up until now I've been paying 99 SEK (about $10) as a monthly subscription for Game Pass.

Today I learned that you could buy 3 month codes on various sites for about 7£ and gave it a try. Worked great, for about 30% of normal price. How shady is this?

If there is nothing off about it, I'd be stupid to not just buy a code once every quarter (ignoring the small amount of admin).

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
That makes sense when it comes to third-party games, but what about stuff like Blinx or other Microsoft properties?

While Microsoft owns the IP a lot of the development for games of that era was contracted out. Blinx was developed by Artoon, whom Microsoft never owned. While not a licensing issue per se, there may be contractual language that never anticipated a subscription service. Artoon was absorbed in AQ Interactive which later merged with Marvelous-- this stuff gets complicated real fast, and probably isn't worth the headache.

Or it could be something as simple as lack of demand.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I played and beat A Plague Tale last year and honestly hated it. I found the gameplay incredibly boring and the story to be awful (that ending...). I thought some of the voice acting was decent. I liked the art design. Those weren't nearly good enough to overcome the flaws though. That being said I've seen plenty of others mention enjoying it a lot so I recognize I'm likely in the minority.
I played up to halfway through and wouldn't say I hated it but definitely wasn't enjoying it. There's a lot to appreciate with the refreshing setting (for a videogame), atmosphere, beautiful graphics etc, but I just found it so tedious from an actual gameplay point of view. Felt like a collection of all the AAA gameplay mechanics I hate, but in an AA game. I prefer AA games to be actual AA games and take advantage of that with the risk taking etc, and stop pandering to just be AAA-Lite.

And on that note, Eurogamer had an awesome podcast feature last week on why AA games are amazing. It's really worth a listen.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Not totally sold on A Plague Tale after playing the beginning. The world and setting seems lovely, but the stealth is so far of the AAA variety, where every solution is obvious and player agency is reduced to a minimum so you never feel creative. I didn't feel like I was part of the game at any point. And them introducing crafting is such a turn off. As an AA game they shouldn't have to follow the AAA recipe list and attempt to include every popular ingredient. Hopefully XP and levels are no where to be found. And hopefully the stealth is improved massively as the game goes on.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Man I think children of Morta has beaten gears of war by becoming my favorite game pass game!! What a fucking game it is and such a creative way to make you play all the characters. I may hate kevin and his short shitty knifes but damnit I want his skills for the family! FOR THE FAMILY!!!!

Except like the witcher 3 and GTA5 but I didn't play those on Gamepass so I don't really count them

Yeah but all of a sudden I cant use the Archer girl because she has some kind of corruption and they say she needs rest ?...its been like 4 waves now and she is now down to minus 8% HP...do I need to rest her somewhere in the game or just wait it out...? what happened ? this is a bummer really on an otherwise great little game...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The gameplay mechanics in A Plague's Tale are quite honestly terrible. Just ridiculously contrived "puzzles" involving the fire/rats and poor stealth. Absolutely hilarious how you can defeat fully armoured knights with a rock and sling too.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but all of a sudden I cant use the Archer girl because she has some kind of corruption and they say she needs rest ?...its been like 4 waves now and she is now down to minus 8% HP...do I need to rest her somewhere in the game or just wait it out...? what happened ? this is a bummer really on an otherwise great little game...

It's the game's way of encouraging/forcing you to mix it up and use different members of the family instead of the same one over and over again. I got to the point where I was comfortable with five of the six characters, so outside of a very early instance where one of my characters got some significant fatigue (which I suspect was planned as a way to introduce the mechanic), it was never a concern throughout the rest of my playthrough.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Ya you just got to wait it out but like the poster above said it's a great way of forcing you to play more characters

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
There are games you play for the gameplay and there are games you play for the story, setting and characters. A Plague Tale certainly is in the latter category. Yes, the gameplay is so much stealth-lite that is more or less just a break between the story bits. Anyway, I'm enjoying this and I hope the dev can keep finding new fans on Game Pass.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The story isn't great to be sure. At first glance you'd think it's going to be a game that tries at a real story, but it turns out to be a lot more like a popcorn flix. It's mostly just about putting likable characters into different harrowing situations.

I think people need to remember the main reason it's getting a lot of attention here is it's a game worth trying out to see if it's worth 9 hours of casual playtime. I mean, you beat it even though you didn't even like it. If nothing else, it's a pretty easy game to beat, not just because of difficulty but also pacing of generally engaging stuff.

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
The story isn't great to be sure. At first glance you'd think it's going to be a game that tries at a real story, but it turns out to be a lot more like a popcorn flix. It's mostly just about putting likable characters into different harrowing situations.

I think people need to remember the main reason it's getting a lot of attention here is it's a game worth trying out to see if it's worth 9 hours of casual playtime. I mean, you beat it and you didn't even like it.
Yeah, I mean others have outright enjoyed it so it's worth installing and seeing. No harm in it.

STNK

Mar 3, 2019
So I've started Resident Evil 4 when they announced it was leaving the service (it actually put a wrench on my plans of dedicating January to Indies) and I am really enjoying even though I'm always feeling I'm racing the clock (and learning the "kind of" tank controls with this pressure was a pain).
I am now at the start of Chapter 4, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long until the end? I expect the game to leave around 31 because if it is any sooner I'm not really sure I can finish on time.

Last edited:

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've started Resident Evil 4 when they announced it was leaving the service (it actually put a wrench on my plans of dedicating January to Indies) and I am really enjoying even though I'm always feeling I'm racing the clock (and learning the kind of tank controls with this kind of pressure was a pain).
I am now at the start of Chapter 4, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long until the end? I expect the game to leave around 31 because if it is any sooner I'm not really sure I can finish on time.
It's kind of a short game by today's standards, so you will be fine.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Why does literally every developer think hiding into bushes is a good gameplay mechanic, seriously it's in every fucking videogame I play and it's never fun

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Why does literally every developer think hiding into bushes is a good gameplay mechanic, seriously it's in every fucking videogame I play and it's never fun
I enjoy it in plague tale. I generally enjoy plague tale because it's on rails stealth. It's impossible to make a mistake. I love the art style and performances too

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm also enjoing the game but it's mostly due to the story, atmosphere and amazing ost.
All those things too! I just HATE HATE HATE stealth THATS open ended because you can mess up and then I just end up killing everyone. Idk. The game is incredibly stable. No glitches. Art direction is nuts. Just off the walls AMAZING. I get if you feel it's boring, but I cannot see a review of "its terrible". The game is quality. You can say you don't like it but it's a quality game all around

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
All those things too! I just HATE HATE HATE stealth THATS open ended because you can mess up and then I just end up killing everyone. Idk. The game is incredibly stable. No glitches. Art direction is nuts. Just off the walls AMAZING. I get if you feel it's boring, but I cannot see a review of "its terrible". The game is quality. You can say you don't like it but it's a quality game all around

The gameplay is mediocre to terrible, it only gets a pass for that because it's technically in the "walking simulator" genre.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is incredibly basic, has very few options to progress through a scenario, is repetitive, and every puzzle is brain dead easy. I'm not saying it's horrible because it's broken, but it is horrible to me personally because it's boring and absolutely not engaging. Tack that on to a story that I really didn't like (especially by the end) and that's where my perspective comes from. Again though, I know plenty hav enjoyed it and if one has game pass there's no reason not to try it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I was really impressed with A Plague Tale's early chapters (I only just started Chapter 3). I have the immersive mode on, and it manages to introduce all of its gameplay concepts really naturally, which is impressive; most games struggle to do that.

And the art/audio design is stellar. Every scene is dripping hella ambiance.

I'm excited to continue playing it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've totally been loving Children of Morta. It's been scratching the rouge like itch while having a ton of progression. It's like a wonderful mix between different genres. The story and characters are wonderfully charming too. I'm really happy this came to gamepass otherwise I don't know when I would've played it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
are you serious? the Gameplay isn't a mediocre to even reach to terrible

it's a stealth game from the beginning and not a walking simulater...

The stealth is ridiculously contrived and shallow, the same goes for the fire/rat mechanic. I would have preferred the game if it was just Detroit gameplay to be honest. Nothing about the actual mechanics in the game are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.