Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunate news but as long as I can still easily mute accounts / words then Twitter remains the best social media platform.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
This is already what happens through people like Christopher Rufo. All Twitter has actually done is ban the people who the general public actually know that can be pinned to this misinformation.

I don't get what you are trying to say. There's no point in moderating misinformation because it might be able to spread in another way? Twitter is way more mainstream than some random nut jobs blog/website.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So if this goes through we get Donald Trump Twitter threads back. I hate this fucking time line

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This will be 4chan 2.0 lmao, except idiots will have actual names attached to everything.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So how do we prop up a competitor? How do we make this blow up in Musk's face?
It's not possible - the community is not just going to shift, as we've seen with prior failed attempts to create an alternative to popular social media platforms.

There only exists an opportunity for a new service to disrupt Twitter in a way that TikTok kind of did to Instagram/Snapchat, but that is likely years off if it even happens.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what you are trying to say. There's no point in moderating misinformation because it might be able to spread in another way? Twitter is way more mainstream than some random nut jobs blog/website.

Christoper Rufo is still on Twitter. Christina Pushaw is still on Twitter! MTG is still on Twitter through her rep account!

Twitter has done nothing to combat right wing misinformation. They just ban a big name every now and then while accounts that can still reach millions are left untouched.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp hope wario goes somewhere else.
Twitter is his livelihood. You'd be asking him to sacrifice everything he's built.

It's good to criticize this move, and the future terrible decisions Elon will no doubt make, but it's not right to attack people that for years have used Twitter to provide a valuable service.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous series of events. I don't even engage in Twitter other than following, but it's probably my #1 source of news and sports news. Not that I can't get that stuff elsewhere, but no other platform is as real time as Twitter is. Nothing tops Twitter during a huge game, or a big moment like the Oscars slap..

Musk is the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is basically essential for following sports, and about the main reason I use it. Really hope a replacement gains traction quickly because nothing good will come of this.

May 26, 2018
It's not possible - the community is not just going to shift, as we've seen with prior failed attempts to create an alternative to popular social media platforms.

There only exists an opportunity for a new service to disrupt Twitter in a way that TikTok kind of did to Instagram/Snapchat, but that is likely years off if it even happens.

Possible that Musk craters Twitter within a year or so. But it seems equally likely he will make it appeal to the dark heart of the internet.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp - that's that. What a travesty.

I didn't think he'd be ridiculous enough to follow through on this, but here we are.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ready to pack up. Where we going, Era?
There is no substitute. There is no other platform that provides what Twitter provides. It is essential internet infrastructure that even if someone does not individually use it the content pipeline of the internet means they are benefitted by people who do. There is no existing replacement. There is no existing alternative. It is the perfect captive audience and that's why Musk wants it.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I love twitter, for all it's problems. That could be because I'm very curated with who I follow and I get a ton of news from it.

If this goes through though, I'm out sadly.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is his livelihood. You'd be asking him to sacrifice everything he's built.

It's good to criticize this move, and the future terrible decisions Elon will no doubt make, but it's not right to attack people that for years have used Twitter to provide a valuable service.
I wasn't attacking anyone.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I love twitter, for all it's problems. That could be because I'm very curated with who I follow and I get a ton of news from it.

If this goes through though, I'm out sadly.

Yea, people here like to shit on Twitter but I literally got connected to the industry I have been pining for years and it's part of my life now. Don't follow assholes is something people don't do for some reason.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Era will be my last bastion of hope for leftist content. All other social media is bonkers with conservatives.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck does Musk gain from this?
I assume the vast majority of users will quit immediately the moment it's owned by him.
Then he's gonna be left mostly with his army of incels, which isn't enough to keep the platform alive (let alone profitable)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
haven't really been following this, why is he doing this exactly?
Your guess is as good as ours. It certainly isn't to make money, and it certainly isn't for "free speech" coming from the anti-union, anti right to repair, and NDA abuser whose only real plan to change the platform is an edit button and to ban, or rather time-out, bots. It's probably just because he has $43 billion burning a hole in his pocket and nothing else more interesting for his mind to do with it.

May 26, 2018
I assume the vast majority of users will quit immediately the moment it's owned by him.
Then he's gonna be left mostly with his army of incels, which isn't enough to keep the platform alive (let alone profitable)

It's a vanity move and I'm guessing he doesn't give a shit how many people leave as long as the people who remain boost his ego.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it's going to crash and burn, people will stay especially media, companies etc. unless they have a spine. It would be hilarious if they managed to move to another platform.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I can assure you the vast majority of users will not leave.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really though, the vast majority won't care or even know

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry but the idea that the majority of users will leave Twitter if Elon musk, a guy with a higher approval rating than either of the last 2 US presidents, purchases the company is completely insane and detached from reality. Massive era moment

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York

It's all fucking ego because he's going to lose a ton of money on this. The kids will certainly not be flocking to twitter and it'll just be a breeding ground to complain about dems and those damn kids eventually, Facebook 2.0

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Status
Not open for further replies.