Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget the backlog crew. This fall we'll be playing God of War, Far Cry 5, Monster Hunter etc. And the hardcore backlog crew guys might not reach BF1 until 2020 and beyond.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Well I have had major issues with bugs on all Battlefield games so I am waiting for the first big patch.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
my point was that weak pre-orders don't necessarily translate in to weak sales of the product following its launch.

So you don't think it matters. That's fair. I don't even necessarily disagree. Preorder numbers are suspect, especially if you are offering a service which lets people skip outright purchases of your game.

The only person calling anyone's reputation in to question was you.

I'm very comfortable putting someone with editorial oversight that's sourcing information from an actual research firm over an "I know a guy" from a twitter personality.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's WW2 so I ain't buying it. I might subscribe to Origin Access for a month and give it a shot. No way would I pay full price.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Market has changed but EA seems to follow the same marketing strategy the had for BF3 a game released almost 8 years ago.

Today when you have F2P, fortnite, esports consoles as close as possible to pc traits and streamers i don't know how you can capture the attention of those groups with some trailers and a beta few days before release...

CritiestBunny

Nov 27, 2017
Indonesia
70's/80's setting would be great IMO.

They could also make alternative settings: Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, another Battlefield 2140 with Mechs or whatever. Or Battlefield: Command & Conquer (just imagine that :O ). Just mix it up a bit.

Battlefield in the 80's, set in 80's America, Eastern Europe, and South-east Asia? Fuck yea, I'd buy that. The cosmetics would even make sense in this scenario, think ala Red Dawn Wolverines. I'd love to wear a bedazzled denim jacket over my prosthetic arm as we ride civilian vehicles in middle America charging Russian and Cuban forces all wearing irregular uniforms and bits of American cosmetics they've picked up. This. This player customization that make sense in the context!

Not sarcastic... seriously would love this game.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
There are several reasons for this:

1) No open alpha/beta (and I was actually trying to get a code but still haven't succeeded)

It's probably a good thing more people don't have access to the alpha. I don't think it's a good representation of the game, for the most part. The build is pretty far behind and the devs have said a lot of the issues will be fixed for the beta. Sentiment can definitely turn around on this game. I hope it does.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like preordering tbh.
From what they have shown I'd say the gameplay looks solid.
Will buy once it releases.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure people prefer the Private Ryan/Band of Brothers type of WWII presentation. Emotional, visceral etc.
DICE's take on WWII "feels" wrong. Too over the top and colorful
I don't mind the colour palette - I think BF1943 worked really well with a bright palette - but the weird tone of the game is very offputting. The presentation comes off as really cartoonish, which certainly offers them lots of opportunities for microtransactions (via visual customisation), but it's a really jarring departure for the series. Even the supposedly goofy Bad Company entries had a way more serious tone in MP than BFV does, from what we've seen.

While there have always been ridiculous gameplay opportunities, and very gamelike (simplified) systems, DICE have always strived for authenticity (not realism) by their own admission in the mainline entries, with things like soldiers, uniforms, weapons, vehicles, and maps. As judged by the standards of the day, anyway.

They should've either done a proper WW2 game, or gone all out with a Battlefield Heroes 2. Instead it feels like they've tried to do both at the same time, and for me it just doesn't work. Maybe if I ever get a chance to go hands-on with it my opinion will change, but I just find it very hard to get past the schizophrenic tone.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
On my own thoughts, I think the game looks good but wonder if two historical shooters back to back (not to mention the competition having just did WW2 as well), might ultimately make BFV not sell as well (let's be honest a bad selling Battlefield is still probably going to be one of the best sellers of the year).
Yea I think time period fatigue is a very real thing.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. Years of very samey WW2 media has set audience expectations for the setting. Hopefully it pays off for them in the end though. Game looks great and will be a nice departure from the relative seriousness of Battlefield 1.

IMO CoD WWII sold well because it checked all the boxes and even stole scenes from popular WWII movies AND they didn't release game set in that timeframe since World at War.
DICE kinda got both things wrong.

70's/80's setting would be great IMO.

They could also make alternative settings: Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, another Battlefield 2140 with Mechs or whatever. Or Battlefield: Command & Conquer (just imagine that :O ). Just mix it up a bit.

It might sound dumb, but I would love a CoD/BF game that stretches from the 1970s into the 2000s and touches on multiple real life conflicts (Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Ruanda....).
Moreover, it would be kinda fun to use weaponry from different eras in MP.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I play every BF game i i dont even pre order this soon. Its pointless also imo.
Usually what i do i get EA Access close to release so i can play earlier and use EA Access with the discount you get on the full game. No point to pre order it now. Especially when digital.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
This game looks amazing, and they're doing something interesting with its lore. But I think we can chalk it up to stiff competition. Every other publisher has basically acknowledged that it's a tough year to release a game in the fall. You get an AC, BF, and CoD every year, but it's not every year that you get a Fallout 76 and a Red Dead Redemption 2. Plus Fortnite is still taking up people's time. I don't think there's much EA could do, but I think the marketing machine will still give this game a solid reception.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not preordering this game, but I have decently high hopes for the campaign. It looks like a bit of a fresh take on WWII that steers clear of the tired cliches that CoD: WWII knocked into on every single mission except the one with a female lead.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you liked BF1 I'm sure it appeals but it doesn't look like it's doing anything interesting to expand its audience so it doesn't really surprise me. It's also competing against two games (Fortnite and PUBG) that didn't exist when BF1 came out and on top of that a new Red Dead.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see an alternate history Cold War battlefield, with the Soviet Union invading Europe and the US
It might sound dumb, but I would love a CoD/BF game that stretches from the 1970s into the 2000s and touches on multiple real life conflicts (Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Ruanda....).
Moreover, it would be kinda fun to use weaponry from different eras in MP.
Battlefield in the 80's, set in 80's America, Eastern Europe, and South-east Asia? Fuck yea, I'd buy that. The cosmetics would even make sense in this scenario, think ala Red Dawn Wolverines. I'd love to wear a bedazzled denim jacket over my prosthetic arm as we ride civilian vehicles in middle America charging Russian and Cuban forces all wearing irregular uniforms and bits of American cosmetics they've picked up. This. This player customization that make sense in the context!

Not sarcastic... seriously would love this game.
All of this sounds awesome. We should start a petition.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that this isn't Battlefield 1944 so long time fans aren't happy.

Big, open, straight forward fighting in the famous and well known battles of World War II... not freaking Rotterdam.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll add that this isn't Battlefield 1944 so long time fans aren't happy.

Big, open, straight forward fighting in the famous and well known battles of World War II... not freaking Rotterdam.

What about the Norwegian village?

Does it fulfill all of your WW2 dreams of fighting in Kursk, Stalingrad, Iwo-Jima, Midway, Ardennes, Alps, Greece, Normandy, Berlin or other WW2 events which people are actually interested in...

What is the point of making the Grand Operation if it is going to take place in some generic location nobody cares about...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i get the impression most people would have rather it be modern setting again. i never bothered with BF1 and i won't be bothering with BFV becasue despite having the general "identity" of BF, it lost something by being WW1/2 compared to BF3 and 4.

i do think once an open beta arrives it will boost numbers a fair amount. but maybe a lot of the casual MP people who might have played previous games are playing stuff like fortnite now? and if that is the case there isn't much room for other games.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I hesitate after barely playing BF1. Usually a huge Battlefield fan (playing heavily since BF2) but I don't really touch multiplayer anymore and their campaigns are just ok at best.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Didn't really get into the series until BF1. I'm looking forward to V, but haven't preordered yet. I don't think I will since i'll probably be playing other stuff when it comes out.
So the reception of the game has been tepid? I thought people were really digging the beta, but I guess I was wrong.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked BF1 and I'll likely buy V when it comes out but I've more or less moved away from pre-ordering games.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have seen it play very similar from other BFs. I'm not particularly fan of the series, but I always buy it to play with the one friend that plays some MP games. And for the jaw-dropping visuals.

I don't see BFV as too much cartoony, not in a significant way at least. Moving, shooting, all the animations, all as expected from BF.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bad trailers and initial reveal.

Bad marketing. Like whom is this aimed at?

The era. Coming off the backs of BF 1 and CoD WW2.

GaaS. Only launching with two factions and more content to be added at a later date.

You add this all up and there is no wonder why there is no hype. DICE shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Andromeda, I've stopped pre-ordering games almost altogether. Not sure if they are still a viable metric for consumer interest nowadays

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
A few months ago we were praising DICE for dropping Premium and now they get a lot of negativity.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Personally think it's weak because every big holiday title is going to include Battle Royale. I'm not ordering until I know which game implements it the best. BFV would be a great investment since all future maps and content is free, unlike its competitors.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
The lack of premium isn't going to matter if the game shows up with a lot less content than what fans are expecting or what is considered normal.
True, It needs at least 8 maps at launch.

They spoke about taking us players on a journey through WW2. They better show us a detailed DLCplan by then.

Oct 27, 2017
Why the heck are they numbered this way? I mean battle field goes back to 1 for ww1 from 4 now goes back to 5. I am not sure I know what battlefield 5 is is it future, modernday, still ww1? I haven't been following enough to know and that is the point. They might as well call it battlefield: whatever

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
i preordered it on xbox one x but i have to be honest when i thought of customization of soldiers in bf games i never imagined the way they did it here. feels weird.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
i preordered it on xbox one x but i have to be honest when i thought of customization of soldiers in bf games i never imagined the way they did it here. feels weird.

They will be selling cosmetics as an important part of getting back that premium pass money. They honestly should have gone all the way and done a Bad Company 3 game but that would come with even more expectations.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Exactly. It's launching with just two factions, which already is a massive step backwards from Bf1.

To give them the benefit of the doubt they are transitioning to a chronological game as a service approach to WW2. So they launch with early battles and add later ones in over time. I don't think that is a bad approach, but we'll see how they do it. Needs a decent number of maps at launch.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Still looking for today's trailer.....
Hey marketing team, be punctual!

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I just won't pre-order. I love battlefield games, but I'll admit, I'm pretty tired of historical and futuristic entries. I was never tired of the modern era. I still feel like there's a lot more to explore there. That goes for any FPS on the market.
I'm not writing it off entirely, but it needs to be a vast improvement on BF1 for me to commit. Too many good games out there.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
I'm buying it as long as they keep saying the right things. Much prefer BAttlefield to CoD

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
I use to be such BF fanboy.. but now eh.. I am not feeling anymore. I feel like the last BF i really enjoyed was Bad Company 2.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best news in a long time. EA needs to take a hit in response to their awful design choices and then blaming the backlash squarely on alt-right people.

Last edited:

Neverfear

Jan 22, 2018
I am certainly looking forward to the game, I have not pre ordered it but I will pick it up at launch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The E3 presentation was surprisingly low-key, I thought.

If it's great, I'm sure it'll pick up steam. Weren't there similar reports for God of War?

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
The new trailer looks a lot less comedic and more off what you'd expect from the mainline BF franchise. The ridiculous outfits not withstanding.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To give them the benefit of the doubt they are transitioning to a chronological game as a service approach to WW2. So they launch with early battles and add later ones in over time. I don't think that is a bad approach, but we'll see how they do it. Needs a decent number of maps at launch.

It's a great idea, and I wished they would have done it with BF1, since they could actually follow the war in real time (100 years removed) to it's end on 1918.

But there's little reason to think DICE would be able to deliver that on this business model.