• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would probably go for the 6 figures. It seems like this question really depends on your current financial situation. If it was several years ago when I was hurting for money, I would probably choose the guaranteed money.

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what my perception of the expected value would be.

In the context of 50k vs 500k, if I thought I'd more than a 10% chance at getting the 500k, in theory, I'd choose that, but in reality it's not as easy to say you'd do that when 50k is still a considerable amount.

EDIT:
You can derive the expected value of both based on the probability.

So, if the probability of winning 500k is greater than 10%, then I'll take it. If it's less than 10%, then I'll take the 50k.
This.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's that saying that has persisted for literally thousands of years? Something about a bird in the hand vs in a bush...

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
5-figures guaranteed actually puts me in a position where I can begin to be happy. Yes, 6-figures would be nice, but the chance of finally getting out of the (relative) hell I'm living in would push me far far away from risking it

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Take the five figures every time. And then have investment professionals turn it into more money.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
You mean I could guaranteed wipe out all of my debt and have a down payment on a home?

Like, everyone is in a different situation, but that is the definition of a no-brainer for me. Take the guaranteed money and laugh all the way to the bank.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
That would entirely depend on the specific nature of the risk and my assessment of my chances. 50k would be great but not really life-changing for me, so I might be tempted to go for the 500k if I felt my odds were better than a certain threshold. (See "expected value" post above.)