• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
In that example I'd go for the 500k. 50k is a good chunk of change for me and would ease some things, but it's not life changing. 500k would be though.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Five figures now and invest it in stocks. It'll turn into 6 figures in a couple of years.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Eh. It all depends on context. 10k vs 100k? I'm going for it. 60k vs 100k maybe not. 50k vs 1 mill? Going for it.

Depends on the randomness of the game too and my confidence.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
money has more value now than later so 5 figures. invest that and it'll grow to 7 figures.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The point of these things is that you might say guaranteed money now but in the moment with the big money in front of you a lot of people would go for it.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on what the risk is. Do I gotta answer a trivia question.............might risk it depending on the category.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Like which game show? A pure luck one that's 50/50 or something like Deal or No Deal? Pure luck I'll take the 50k, latter it depends on the scenario, etc.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like 90% of people would take the guaranteed $50k, myself included. That's a hell of a house down payment. If it were 50/50 odds, it'd need to be something closer to 7 figures for me to turn town that much cash money. Game shows tend to intentionally screen for risk-taking contestants, so they're not a terribly good representative sample.

Regardless though, as others have said even the lump sum is still probably worth more investing in the long run amortized by the risk involved in the higher reward. Only the chumps go for the annuity.

Last edited:

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I am fairly risk averse. I will take the 5 figures and laugh all the way to my computer, as I transfer it into my index fund.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Gameshow money? I'm risking everything for another spin until I crash out or win #noragrets

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
A friend of mine was talking about how he thinks it's stupid that people go for crazy amounts of money on game shows when there's clearly a chance to make a decent amount of change (like five figures). He added that if you're pretty much guaranteed five figures on a game show (let's say in the moment you could say yes and take home $50k as an example), you should just take it instead of risking it all. I told him that a lot of it is spectacle (game show needs to have your attention with crazy risks), but there's still a decent chance to win a large sum of cash.

Let me ask you, if you had a guarantee of making five figures in a game show, but could take a large risk to get an even larger amount, would you do it or no? Could also be like Brewster's Millions as well (highly recommend that movie if you've never seen it), except smaller denominations.

Edit: Example Being 50k Guaranteed vs 500k With Risk

People do this all the time with tech jobs.

They'll turn down an established, well-paying job, for one at a startup that pays less, but has the upside bet of equity.

If the company goes bust, it's a loss, but if the company pans out that equity can easily be enough to retire on.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the 50k. Most risks like that just mean "fuck you" in my experience, so I'd take the guarantee pretty much every time.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Take the $50,000 and invest 100% of it. In 30 years with an average rate of 8% growth and it will be worth over half a million.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I don't need it, so I would go big.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the guarantee. That's a large enough number to significantly impact my life immediately as well as give me something to invest with for the future.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
50K to 500K is a pretty big jump, but generally if I get too greedy it backfires on me so I'd probably just take my ball and go home with 50K.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
There are a lot of factors in play, here. Even going with the 50k/500k example, is there any aspect of skill involved here or is it random luck? How does the game I'm playing work? How much are the taxes? Is there a guaranteed minimum point like HWTBAM where once you're past a threshold you are guaranteed 32k or whatever?

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
$99,999 is still five figures.
I'd be content with that probably.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it 42% tax rate on gambling winnings? Y'all would just end up owing a ton of money you can't pay, to the IRS.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
At my current stage in life I would take the risk. The five figures would be very nice but not life changing. 6 figures, I could buy a second house to rent out which is nice steady income stream.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
same.

im not gonna fault anyone for taking it that needs it though.

but i do have to laugh at some of these 'invest it" remarks. At an average rate or 6% it would take 25 years to get to 220k

call JG Wentworth!
Great, 25 years from now is exactly when I hope to retire. A guaranteed windfall of $50k right now gives me an additional $220k in 25 years that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
If I had $50k extra right now I would have $40k left over after starting a business that would likely be a great secondary form of cash flow. I'll go the safe route. I'm likely to be dead within 8 years, gotta make my money work for my family now so they can have something later.