• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming blows in splatoon 2.

But having options is good for those who can't aim

Which would be everyone playing using dual sticks. Gyro aiming rocks in splatoon 2 and is one of the reasons they could cut the auto aiming to near nothing unlike dual stick only shooters which have to lie to the player significantly to even pretend the control scheme works.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't think people with joint pains will benefit from a method that demands they move their wrists/elbows/shoulders to aim.

I think you're limiting your understanding of the benefits here with your bias. Gyro aiming can require very minimal, subtle movements for the most precise results with little-to-no strain at all. Gyro also tends to offer a lot more options to tweak in terms of sensitivity and axis adjustment. It's hardly a gimmick if it produces more accurate results than dual analog. I can't tell you whether or not anyone with a disability could actually benefit from it, but it's not hard to imagine based on my own experience.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Not really. I don't know what it is but for some reason the gyro controls work really well with a tablet like the wiiu or switch but not so well with a traditional controller.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They maybe better served by an option that's not necesarily movement-intensive? Accessibility options in gaming should be taking a cue from what Xbox did, not from the Switch.

not sure what your angle is here but it'd just be an extra option on top of what's already offered on PS4, it wouldn't be forced on people who can't use them

honestly it feels kind of messed up to be using accessibility options as an argumentative shield against a hypothetical control method. I don't know, that's just how it comes off to me maybe I'm off

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure what your angle is here but it'd just be an extra option on top of what's already offered on PS4, it wouldn't be forced on people who can't use them

honestly it feels kind of messed up to be using accessibility options as an argumentative shield against a hypothetical control method. I don't know, that's just how it comes off to me maybe I'm off
Argumentative shield? All I said is I'd rather developers focus on accessible options rather than gyro aiming, not that gyro aiming hampers accessibility. Have you read my posts?
Which would be everyone playing using dual sticks. Gyro aiming rocks in splatoon 2 and is one of the reasons they could cut the auto aiming to near nothing unlike dual stick only shooters which have to lie to the player significantly to even pretend the control scheme works.
You do know you can turn off assists, right? Personally, I can't use assisted stick aiming, I always turn these options off.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argumentative shield? All I said is I'd rather developers focus on accessible options rather than gyro aiming, not that gyro aiming hampers accessibility. Have you read my posts?

yes I have

also why not both? why do you feel the need to use one to shut down the other? that's what felt weird, it felt like the sole reason you brought up accessibility options was to say "no" in this topic. that's just how it came off to me

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm all people that need assisted aiming due to injuries or disabilities, the option should always be there for them. But i still find gyro horrible to use and prefer the traditional methods of aiming.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my view on gyro controls is that I don't think they should be focused on over accessibility, since stick aiming is a much better "default" than gyro and since accessibility is more important in my opinion than allowing gyro (which isn't a very accessible control scheme to begin with). This is all I said, I don't have an agenda against it.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
BotW was very good at doing this.
I liked it a lot so I'd be ok with the addition of more games capable of it.
As long as it's just an option though, there are times when you won't want it.

Deleted member 26837

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hook up DS4. Load steam. Assign mouse to gyro, and tweak sensitivities to match. Done.

Thank you very much. Will try later.

I mean, that can be a subjective truth, it's certainly not an objective truth. Stick aiming and mouse aiming both always felt much more precise and more versatile for me than any gyro implementation I've ever come across.

Just going to pick one in this but stick aiming is objectively less precise than gyro in most cases. What you are doing is comparing a control system that you used a lot, to a control system you haven't learned.

You do know most disabled players don't benefit from gyro/motion solutions, right? They demand a range of movement these people usually don't have, and I'd rather see options aimed at those people being prioritized over a subpar aiming option.

Normally I do not reply to these types of things but today I've been stressed and annoyed for the whole day. But, I still try to be polite even after a few beers in a bar.

In my work, I design tech usability for people with disabilities, mainly how to improve rehabilitation tech for people with paraplegia. Patients in wheelchairs that is. Hand rehabilitation is also a very related research my friends do, and of which I know a lot about. They need their own control methods, and as such are always in a disadvantage if gaming with the average gamer. Having gyro or any other method , in a home electronics device, is always going to be geared towards the general population. What e.g. MS is doing is great because they offer solutions which are customisable for disabled users, but at the same time, it doesn't mean that other methods should not be considered if some users can not perform them. And, 'the range of movement' you are talking about is not that big for gyro aiming. Mostly it's a tiny adjusment of the wrist. Most likely you are confusing this with a Wii-like of large hand movements. What you want to say is the 'precision of movements' I think? And saying "they don't usually have" is also a bit bad because everyone of them has different capabilities for which we try to find a customised solution. Finally, stating that gyro aiming is "subpar" is also really subjective and inexperienced reply on your part. I would suggest you read about this somewhere and try it yourself. Not a few minutes but for a couple of days.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the hard on for gyro aiming so much?

I have never used it but the thought of it just sounds horrible and not precise at all.

I've played super rub a dub and whilst enjoyable feel it would be a horrible input method for playing an FPS with.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just going to pick one in this but stick aiming is objectively less precise than gyro in most cases. What you are doing is comparing a control system that you used a lot, to a control system you haven't learned.
Not sure what I haven't learned about gyro aiming. It's just not as precise as sticks, period. I've used it enough and across a variety of platforms/games to know this, so why you'd try to discredit my opinion?

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
It was awesome in Golden Abyss, using it to fine tune your aim made it pulling off head shots incredibly quick and easy.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the hard on for gyro aiming so much?

I have never used it but the thought of it just sounds horrible and not precise at all.

I've played super rub a dub and whilst enjoyable feel it would be a horrible input method for playing an FPS with.
It's really something you have to experience first-hand. Also it's absolutely nothing like Super Rub 'a' Dub.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd love it being an option as standard in games where the controller might support it (switch, ps4, pc, whatever).

It was cool in vita to fine tune aiming and it would work even better in games with good framerate and the ds4, Wolfenstein 2 would have been sweet with that on ps4 (where I played it just last month) and of course Uncharted (in Golden Abyss it worked good enough).