Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing in 7 when we should have won in 5 is just heartbreaking. I could deal with it if we'd just been outplayed the whole time. But we had this.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't know how I feel about this. Thanks?
rangers "fans" are the worst. they were talking shit during the ACLS about having been 1 strike away from winning it all, like who brags about losing that? Then some dumbass rangers player was bragging about going into yankee stadium in 2010 or 2011 and winning games.

Im a Houstonian but casual baseball fan but its always great to see my city finally win since 94-95!

Also the SF Giants win with this tweet:

goddamn, that's some brutal trolling

The better team lost. The better team could have ended this in 5.
yea, the astros could have and probably should have finished it in 5. Bullpen doesn't fall apart in game 4 and they walk it off, guaranteed they win game five.

Congratulations to Astros-Era, and shout outs to Carlos Beltran who finally gets his title. Future manager or nah?
astros should hire him as bench coach to replace Cora. That's essentially what he was in this series. But congrats to him, you could tell it meant a lot to him.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This Astros lineup is legit.

They beat:
Chris Sale x2
Craig Kimbrel
Sabathia in game 7 in a spot that the Yankees haven't lost(undefeated after a yankee loss)
Chapman
Jansen x2
Darvish x2
Kershaw

that's a pretty good list of pitchers to have scored runs against in the biggest spots possible.

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's dumb. You know goddamn well I'm talking about the Dodgers blowing a 3-1 lead in the 8th in Game 2 and a 7-4 lead in Game 5.

We had this series. Congrats on winning it anyway.

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't be a sore loser bro. that's the entire point of a 7 game series, is the better team is always going to win it.

Not at all. Even with 7 games, there's still a high luck factor. We win this if Kenley gets his glove on a bouncer up the middle in the 8th inning of Game 2.

Fuck it, we win this if the worst ump in MLB doesn't call Barnes out on strikes in the 8th inning of Game 5.

Nothing against the Astros stepping up and getting big hits, but they also won basically every coin flip play in the series, and that inspires a little more salt than would normally be merited.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
eh, most people generally care about the big three, which is NFL, MLB and NBA. hell we don't even have a WNBA team anymore.
Also for as popular as soccer is internationally and with people here, the general impression I get is stuff like the world cup is bigger and far more important than MLS.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Even with 7 games, there's still a high luck factor. We win this if Kenley gets his glove on a bouncer up the middle in the 8th inning of Game 2.

Fuck it, we win this if the worst ump in MLB doesn't call Barnes out on strikes in the 8th inning of Game 5.

Nothing against the Astros stepping up and getting big hits, but they also won basically every coin flip play in the series, and that inspires a little more salt than would normally be merited.

Weird, it's almost like if things go your teams way in a game they have a tendency to win more often

Love how a 64-98 team feels like they can talk shit about a rival who fell a few runs short of winning the greatest World Series of the modern era.

64 wins or 104 wins doesn't matter if you don't win it all. Also, it's funny

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
eh, most people generally care about the big three, which is NFL, MLB and NBA. hell we don't even have a WNBA team anymore.
Also for as popular as soccer is internationally and with people here, the general impression I get is stuff like the world cup is bigger and far more important than MLS.
Still professional championships whether you regard them highly or not lol

I don't even like either.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Wishful thinking...I'd totally care if we got an NHL team in Houston. Hopefully, Tilman Fertitta can make that happen.

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, it's almost like if things go your teams way in a game they have a tendency to win more often

Right. Some things that go right are no-doubters, like Springer's homer today, and some things are more flukey.

Basically every flukey thing went Houston's way. It doesn't mean they didn't make big plays. They did.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Love how a 64-98 team feels like they can talk shit about a rival who fell a few runs short of winning the greatest World Series of the modern era.
iXfyouaintfirst-540x2801.jpg

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes things go your way and you still lose. In the end you have to close the deal. And Houston hadn't been able to do that until yesterday.

Even when the Rockets won "But Michael Jordan....:"

This was as earned as one could get. No asterik.

It's unreal.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
aaaand the twitter trolls have woken up. "one world series doesn't justify 6 years of losing" like wtf. several of those years were before the ownership change and new GM, who had a plan of tanking. People are stupid, I would absolutely take the world series win because of the tanking.

Hpper

Oct 25, 2017
That's dumb. You know goddamn well I'm talking about the Dodgers blowing a 3-1 lead in the 8th in Game 2 and a 7-4 lead in Game 5.

We had this series. Congrats on winning it anyway.

That game 2 lead? The Astros were scored against with a total of 2 hits.

And why is that 7-4 lead so important? There were a total of THREE 3-run homers that game. That game was nothing but leads that were lost, that, with most other teams/series should/would not have been lost:

To quote from Reddit:

#**HOLY CRAP I GET TO DO THIS AGAIN. DON'T LET THE FACT THAT THE DODGERS BLEW A 4-0 LEAD DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE ASTROS BLEW A 4-4 TIE TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE DODGERS BLEW A 7-4 LEAD TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE ASTROS BLEW A 7-7 TIE TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE DODGERS BLEW AN 8-7 LEAD TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE ASTROS BLEW A 12-9 LEAD TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE DODGERS BLEW A 12-12 TIE TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT THE FREAKING HOUSTON ASTROS WON 13-12 OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!**
#***OBLIGATORY THANKS FOR THE GOLD EDIT! SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!***

But somehow the Dodgers were the ones blowing leads, and the ones that "should have" won.

Maaaaan, it really sometimes feels like New York, Boston, and LA fans become too fucking expectant of the championships. Wouldn't really mind all of those cities suffering from a good long sports championship drought.

Also feels cool to have beaten all 3 of those cities' teams during the playoffs. And of course, the rosters with the 3 highest payrolls.

What!? Isn't Dallas a Rangers town?

That's like if Philadelphia rung the Liberty Bell after the Yankees won the Series.
It's really weird with Texas teams.

On one hand, all Texas teams are rivals of one another. What they might hate more than anything else is for the other Texas teams to get a ring, especially when it's a situation where the Astros and Rangers are the two oldest teams without rings, in the same division, and whoever gets their first gets bragging rights

At the same time, across sports, it's not that uncommon to see fans of one Texas team root for the other Texas team once their team gets knocked out. Whether it's a state pride thing, or just being more satisfied if the rivalry as a whole is made more important and prestigious, it's something that happens decently often.

So idk. It's just really weird, especially between Houston and Dallas, one of which is always trying to make the other "the little brother".

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It's really weird with Texas teams.

On one hand, all Texas teams are rivals of one another. What they might hate more than anything else is for the other Texas teams to get a ring, especially when it's a situation where the Astros and Rangers are the two oldest teams without rings, in the same division, and whoever gets their first gets bragging rights

At the same time, across sports, it's not that uncommon to see fans of one Texas team root for the other Texas team once their team gets knocked out. Whether it's a state pride thing, or just being more satisfied if the rivalry as a whole is made more important and prestigious, it's something that happens decently often.

So idk. It's just really weird, especially between Houston and Dallas, one of which is always trying to make the other "the little brother".
yea f all that, I hate the spurs, mavs, rangers and especially the cowboys.

Rangers fans especially, I aint never seen rangers fans until they got good the last decade. I hate being in the AL west with the rangers and MLB trying to start a rivalry with them.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
But somehow the Dodgers were the ones blowing leads, and the ones that "should have" won.

Maaaaan, it really sometimes feels like New York, Boston, and LA fans become too fucking expectant of the championships. Wouldn't really mind all of those cities suffering from a good long sports championship drought.

Also feels cool to have beaten all 3 of those cities' teams during the playoffs. And of course, the rosters with the 3 highest payrolls.

This is what I find most amazing. If this isn't earning it I don't know what is.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
are there any great examples of "unearned" championships though?
I mean everyone who wins earns it, but I think if you look at like the NBA east, like no one challenges whatever team Lebron is on. VS the west is a murderers row. There's been some easier paths to championships but I cant think of any right now. Hell the dodgers didn't get much resistance from the diamond backs or cubs this year.

Hpper

Oct 25, 2017
In this thread, 1988 is a recent championship
Don't pretend LA hasn't had many, MANY sports championships in recent history.

yea f all that, I hate the spurs, mavs, rangers and especially the cowboys.

Rangers fans especially, I aint never seen rangers fans until they got good the last decade. I hate being in the AL west with the rangers and MLB trying to start a rivalry with them.

Eh, depends for me. I guess growing up as a primarily NBA fan, with Dirk, Yao, and Duncan as the faces of those 3 franchises that are all pretty tough to hate helps out.

But a part of me views the success of other teams in Texas as, at the very least, elevating that rivalry. Rockets-Jazz is a really intense rivalry, but not enough people know about it because the two teams don't have enough rings.

Plus yeah, the whole Texas thing.

Idk, there's a reason why I said it depends per person. It's like rooting for the team that eliminated you - on one hand, they eliminated you, and there was probably a lot of trash talk being exchanged, and on the other hand, losing to the champions in some ways makes your loss feel a little less bad. So it depends situation to situation.