Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Hunter's Mark damage boost is removed in the latest beta build!

I'm actually super hyped about this, lol. I've never played a Hunter, but I've always kind of wanted to, and Hunter's Mark's damage component was the only major reservation I had about the class for Shadowlands. :D

Yeah, something about Asmongold's community digging up tweets criticizing white male attitudes, etc. :/

Yeah, there was a time Hunter's Mark was fun. It's just redundant now.

And I really...really...don't like Asmongold. I feel bad for Madeleine. I follow her on Twitter and she's really cool, and I loved Shadow's Rising.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there was a time Hunter's Mark was fun. It's just redundant now.

And I really...really...don't like Asmongold. I feel bad for Madeleine. I follow her on Twitter and she's really cool, and I loved Shadow's Rising.

Yeah, it's was a fun spell during the early expansions (when combat was slower and communication was harder), but it's more of an annoyance now. It was fine as a talent you could opt into for single target (the types of fights where it's least annoying), but it would just have been a pain as a baseline spell with the damage buff.

I still like that it's back as a baseline utility spell for situations where you do want to mark a particular target. In that way, it's actually much more interesting as a spell that you choose to use instead of one you constantly throw out because you have to.

Not a fan of the hunters mark change tbh

Why's that?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's was a fun spell during the early expansions (when combat was slower and communication was harder), but it's more of an annoyance now. It was fine as a talent you could opt into for single target (the types of fights where it's least annoying), but it would just have been a pain as a baseline spell with the damage buff.

I still like that it's back as a baseline utility spell for situations where you do want to mark a particular target. In that way, it's actually much more interesting as a spell that you choose to use instead of one you constantly throw out because you have to.

Why's that?
damage nerfs never please me

I get it could be annoying applying it constantly, but eh

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
damage nerfs never please me

I get it could be annoying applying it constantly, but eh

Realistically, Hunter damage is going to be balanced about the same either way. :D It's just a matter of whether you need to apply Hunter's Mark to get that damage (and therefore be a little weaker in AoE / target swap situations), or whether Hunter's Mark is pure utility and all of your damage comes from your other spells.

(And in the event that Hunter's actually end up actively bad with their damage, the 5% extra damage to one target at the cost of a GCD wouldn't have made up the difference anyway. Class viability isn't decided by such small numbers.)

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a hunter main since launch, Hunter's Mark was up there with ammo as something I was glad they got rid of. I was legit surprised they had even brought it back.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Is leveling still ridiculously fast like it was in beta or did they tweak it in recent months? Was gonna blow through all the heritage armors

I want them to /mire my Orc

Yeah it's still super fast, which is actually upsetting a bunch of people who expected you'd hit 50 at just about the end of the expansion you chose, rather than a few zones in.

I'm personally looking to use pre-patch time to level all the Allied races from 10 to 50 for their armor.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
As a hunter main since launch, Hunter's Mark was up there with ammo as something I was glad they got rid of. I was legit surprised they had even brought it back.

Same with me. It did have a little utility in vanilla, but I did not like having it mandatory for a damage buff. Glad they removed it and they will balance that loss with something else.

It was fun using on Ony when she was sleeping because she would stand up when you put a mark on her. That would freak out so many people who thought it pulled her lol. That and putting it on big bosses that had a HUGE mark on them.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Soulbinds are updated to each have 2 Potency slots instead of 3, since most of the Potency Conduits are spec specific.

shadowlands.wowhead.com

Soulbind Tree Updates - Before and After Potency Conduit Change

With today's change reducing each Soulbind tree from three to two Potency conduit slots, some of the trees have also been rearranged a bit, introducing new connections that weren't present before.

us.forums.blizzard.com

Shadowlands Conduits Update

I am not a min max player and I have never been. I had herbalism in WotLk because I wanted a heal lol. But the bottom line is that if choice is restricted then people like me that like to try different non optimal builds will not bother. Which means I will become a min max player. Spooky but...

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
long lapsed and not going back but i like to lurk and see the state of the game

i'm absolutely baffled by seeing that the brutosaur is being removed? like, that's one of the coolest mounts (besides the AH) but people can't have nice things
i mean, in general i think a lot of my umbrage with the game was because of so much stuff being time- or faction-limited for no reason (like the bee, apparently, and i played alliance so it's not like i wouldn't be able to get it. or much more prominently, the mists/warlords legendaries)

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
long lapsed and not going back but i like to lurk and see the state of the game

i'm absolutely baffled by seeing that the brutosaur is being removed? like, that's one of the coolest mounts (besides the AH) but people can't have nice things
i mean, in general i think a lot of my umbrage with the game was because of so much stuff being time- or faction-limited for no reason (like the bee, apparently, and i played alliance so it's not like i wouldn't be able to get it. or much more prominently, the mists/warlords legendaries)

It's still going to be available on the Black Market Auction House (a system that offers a random set of rare items each day).

The motivation for removing it is to encourage people to actually buy it (or farm a bit more gold, buy it, and then be broke going into Shadowlands). As you can probably imagine, wealth discrepancy has gradually increased over the lifetime of the game, and in the previous two expansions (Warlord of Draenor and Legion) it was pretty easy to generate absurd amounts of gold if you put in a bit of effort. So if you're the type of player that plays regularly and perhaps set up a gold machine in WoD/Legion, then you're probably sitting on small mountain of gold (millions). If you're the type of player who plays casually, or a newer player, then you're relatively poor.

Removing the Brutosaur forces players to actually buy it, instead of saying "Eh, it's cool, maybe I'll buy it later but I'm in no rush." I don't generally like content getting removed either, but that's the reason here. It's less about time limiting and more about making the Brutosaur more effectively serve its underlying purpose (being a luxury item for course correcting the player economy).

Last edited:

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
It's still going to be available on the Black Market Auction House (a system that offers a random set of rare items each day).

The motivation for removing it is to encourage people to actually buy it (or farm a bit more gold, buy it, and then be broke going into Shadowlands). As you can probably imagine, wealth discrepancy has gradually increased over the lifetime of the game, and in the previous two expansions (Warlord of Draenor and Legion) it was pretty easy to generate absurd amounts of gold if you put in a bit of effort. So if you're the type of player that plays regularly and perhaps set up a gold machine in WoD/Legion, then you're probably sitting on small mountain of gold (millions). If you're the type of player who plays casually, or for a more recent player, then you're relatively poor.

Removing the Brutosaur forces players to actually buy it, instead of saying "Eh, it's cool, maybe I'll buy it later but I'm in no rush." I don't generally like content getting removed either, but that's the reason here. It's less about time limiting and more about making the Brutosaur more effectively serve its underlying purpose (being a luxury item for course correcting the player economy).
yknow that's fair i guess, and i remember how bad inflation was with garrisons and class halls
entire patches of story being taken out is incomprehensible to me though

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I tested some of the changes today to Soulbinds... and I haven't really made any conclusion.

but the more I think about it the less I like the energy system for them. Better than the previous option but honestly if a guild wants to make their players change loadouts each time... then let them. People have the ability to choose what guilds they belong to and if that's fine with them then it is what it is.

I don't plan on swapping every time and I can imagine the majority of players are not going to want to wait around for one or three people to change loadouts each pull. So I really just think... let it go. It stifles experimentation with specs and classes and it isn't needed. At least imo.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I tested some of the changes today to Soulbinds... and I haven't really made any conclusion.

but the more I think about it the less I like the energy system for them. Better than the previous option but honestly if a guild wants to make their players change loadouts each time... then let them. People have the ability to choose what guilds they belong to and if that's fine with them then it is what it is.

I don't plan on swapping every time and I can imagine the majority of players are not going to want to wait around for one or three people to change loadouts each pull. So I really just think... let it go. It stifles experimentation with specs and classes and it isn't needed. At least imo.

Devil's advocate: if you could change Conduits freely, or if Soulbinds were spec-specific (another common suggestion), then there wouldn't be an interesting system to experiment with in the first place. Every player would go to Icy Veins / RaidBots and find the "top" Conduit+Soulbind loadout for their particular Covenant, deviating only if there was a particular Soulbind talent or Conduit that they needed to counteract a specific encounter. It would be a system that was solved on day 1, with the exact same solution for every single player of a particular Class/Spec/Covenant combo.

After playing around with the system on Wowhead a bit, I've tried to come up with a historical WoW analogue for it, and I don't think there really is one. That's exciting! I'd be disappointed to see it just become another MoP talent grid / Legion Legendary system where you just swap in the recommended pieces for any given situation.

To address your experimentation argument more directly: the perhaps good news is that Conduits themselves aren't really that complicated. You can read what they do and "get it" right off the bat. So I don't think that there's going to be a heavy gameplay experimentation part where you're putting on some Conduits and then hitting a dummy to figure out their mechanics (Soulbinds talents have more of this, but those can be swapped completely freely). Instead, there will be more "pen and paper" experimentation, where you come up with a loadout, use it for a bit, and then a few days later think "Hm, can I optimize this a bit more? Perhaps to bolster my offspecs without losing too much in my main spec?" and go to the Wowhead Soulbind Calculator to iterate and optimize (which isn't really something WoW has had players do since, like...the pre-MoP talent calculators).

But we'll see when it all comes out, of course. :P I'd just be disappointed if they backed out of a novel system before I actually got a chance to play it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Devil's advocate: if you could change Conduits freely, or if Soulbinds were spec-specific (another common suggestion), then there wouldn't be an interesting system to experiment with in the first place. Every player would go to Icy Veins / RaidBots and find the "top" Conduit+Soulbind loadout for their particular Covenant, deviating only if there was a particular Soulbind talent or Conduit that they needed to counteract a specific encounter. It would be a system that was solved on day 1, with the exact same solution for every single player of a particular Class/Spec/Covenant combo.

After playing around with the system on Wowhead a bit, I've tried to come up with a historical WoW analogue for it, and I don't think there really is one. That's exciting! I'd be disappointed to see it just become another MoP talent grid / Legion Legendary system where you just swap in the recommended pieces for any given situation.

To address your experimentation argument more directly: the perhaps good news is that Conduits themselves aren't really that complicated. You can read what they do and "get it" right off the bat. So I don't think that there's going to be a heavy gameplay experimentation part where you're putting on some Conduits and then hitting a dummy to figure out their mechanics (Soulbinds talents have more of this, but those can be swapped completely freely). Instead, there will be more "pen and paper" experimentation, where you come up with a loadout, use it for a bit, and then a few days later think "Hm, can I optimize this a bit more? Perhaps to bolster my offspecs without losing too much in my main spec?" and go to the Wowhead Soulbind Calculator to iterate and optimize (which isn't really something WoW has had players do since, like...the pre-MoP talent calculators).

But we'll see when it all comes out, of course. :P I'd just be disappointed if they backed out of a novel system before I actually got a chance to play it.

I can see you point and I respect it but I imagine people are going to look up the "best" path or whatever regardless.

I like the system to be sure. (Even though I do have some issues with how... disconnected they feel from gameplay - it's hard to explain what I mean and I'm feeling my sleeping pills so maybe tomorrow) but I'd much prefer the option to make a build, run out and try content, then comeback and shift stuff around to see if I liked something better.

And unless I've missed something (which is possible!) you share this energy across all your specs so if you need to change multiple ones it's counts against a single pool which I definitely do not like. But I'm going to play with it more and decide. Like I said I haven't put a lot of time into it but idk. I love the idea of choice and stuff in RPGs but I also want to be able to change my mind freely. I'm fine with the covenant design with how it takes some effort to swap them around but for some reason this isn't vibing with me.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I can see you point and I respect it but I imagine people are going to look up the "best" path or whatever regardless.

I like the system to be sure. (Even though I do have some issues with how... disconnected they feel from gameplay - it's hard to explain what I mean and I'm feeling my sleeping pills so maybe tomorrow) but I'd much prefer the option to make a build, run out and try content, then comeback and shift stuff around to see if I liked something better.

And unless I've missed something (which is possible!) you share this energy across all your specs so if you need to change multiple ones it's counts against a single pool which I definitely do not like. But I'm going to play with it more and decide. Like I said I haven't put a lot of time into it but idk. I love the idea of choice and stuff in RPGs but I also want to be able to change my mind freely. I'm fine with the covenant design with how it takes some effort to swap them around but for some reason this isn't vibing with me.

You do share the energy across specs, but you also share your Conduit setups across specs, so a change to one affects all of them! That's one of the components that I think makes it hard for their to "best" setup that we'll all follow; if I decide to build a particular Ret setup to help progression on a boss fight, my options for Prot and Holy (as well as additional setups I might have for Ret) will also change (not necessarily be worse mind you; they'll just have a different set of strengths and weaknesses).

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

Covenant Abilities Disabled Outside Shadowlands, Collector's Edition - MMO-Champion

Covenant Abilities Disabled Outside Shadowlands, Collector's Edition

The latest beta build added a new restriction to Covenant abilities, disabling them outside of the Shadowlands. This is likely a intentional change, as a string was added specifically to say "You must be in the Shadowlands" in the build.

Man, this is going to feel awkward as hell, and it's just making me hate the concept of borrowed power even more.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
oh well. always time to change if the first season's a shitshow.

I'd be extremely surprised if covenant stuff was just flat-out disabled in PvP. That would be like if artifacts or azerite power/essences were disabled in PvP during legion and BfA. Locking the main expansion power progression system out of one of the endgame pillars would basically just be relegating PvP to even more of a sideshow/minigame than it already is.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
i really just don't like the inconsistency. i get that this is their way of wiping the slate clean after shadowlands so that they don't have to explain why we lose the power this time (which they said they were going to stop doing?), but these abilities that are in some cases rotational are now just... gone and if you wanted to fall back onto the heart and its essences for old content you're now shuffling two sets of bars and gear

it's just a pointless change

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be extremely surprised if covenant stuff was just flat-out disabled in PvP. That would be like if artifacts or azerite power/essences were disabled in PvP during legion and BfA. Locking the main expansion power progression system out of one of the endgame pillars would basically just be relegating PvP to even more of a sideshow/minigame than it already is.

The thing is, customization within PvP has become almost entirely modular. You're expected to change your talents etc. to reflect the current match-up.

Covenant Abilities (not to mention their own various talent trees) represent a real departure in this area from Artifacts, because the latter were all available to anyone at any given time, whereas the former represents major differentiating choice -- choice that is impossible to balance already, but would pigeonhole people into specific Covenants if they wanted to PvP at any serious level.

While I understand what you're saying, they're going to have to find some solution, IMO. It's already beyond their abilities to balance PvP normally; adding the Covenant stuff is going to turn it into a nightmare of balance and "choice" (read: no choice).

But I guess this comes down to Covenants in general being awfully handled. Anyone who wants to play the game competitively is going to have to pick X, even if lore-wise/aesthetically they want to be Y, or want to experience the story of Z. Borrowed Power is so dumb, I wish they'd get away from it and spend time on actual class design if they want people to feel individualized by their build choices.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
i really just don't like the inconsistency. i get that this is their way of wiping the slate clean after shadowlands so that they don't have to explain why we lose the power this time (which they said they were going to stop doing?), but these abilities that are in some cases rotational are now just... gone and if you wanted to fall back onto the heart and its essences for old content you're now shuffling two sets of bars and gear

it's just a pointless change

yeah, I'm super annoyed by this. I just... hate it.

Borrowed Power continues to be a mistake.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
don't recall who asked in this thread, but here's official word that BfA will be included with a base sub come pre-patch:

worldofwarcraft.com

Shop Updates: Appearance Change Service and Battle for Azeroth - WoW

The Appearance Change Service has retired from the Blizzard Shop and with the release of the Shadowlands pre-expansion patch, Battle for Azeroth will be included with your World of Warcraft subscription.

With the release of the Shadowlands pre-expansion patch, Battle for Azeroth will be included with your World of Warcraft subscription—no additional purchase required.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
keystones

healers currently are free to blow their mana and weave in drinking in very short downtime between pulls. giving the mana regen a ramp up prevents groups from pulling as rapidly as healers will need to be more conservative
I think this is more likely targeted at healer resets in arena. Sugar-Crusted Fish Feasts can't be used there but can in keys.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Those mythic+ affix changes look nice, maybe my healer friend will decide its ok to heal on grievous weeks now lol

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of effort is being put towards stopping people from quickly completing M+ and I just don't get why. Who was it hurting?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of effort is being put towards stopping people from quickly completing M+ and I just don't get why. Who was it hurting?

If you're talking about the drinking change, it's just aimed at making mana management (which has been one of the core mechanics for healers in most contexts for forever) less trivial to cheese in Mythic+. I don't think it's about "stopping people from quickly completing M+"; it's more about making efficient mana usage something you're actually rewarded for in M+ (in the same way that healers are rewarded for it in every other competitive aspect of the game).

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about the drinking change, it's just aimed at making mana management (which has been one of the core mechanics for healers in most contexts for forever) less trivial to cheese in Mythic+. I don't think it's about "stopping people from quickly completing M+"; it's more about making efficient mana usage something you're rewarded for in M+ (in the same way that healers are rewarded for it in every other competitive aspect of the game).

I was also thinking of the aoe cap (and I thought one of the affixes was tweaked to seemingly slow things down but could be wrong about that). But I hardly ever play a caster, and never in more than just leveling content, so that explanation makes a lot sense.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I was also thinking of the aoe cap (and I thought one of the affixes was tweaked to seemingly slow things down but could be wrong about that). But I hardly ever play a caster, and never in more than just leveling content, so that explanation makes a lot sense.

Ah yeah, AoE caps are pretty explicitly "Keep the dungeon meta from doing too many pulls at once", with the added side effect of giving casters more of a "mass AoE" niche and physical classes more of a "cleave" niche (a distinction that hasn't existed for a while now).

From Wowhead's analysis, it sounds like the water change is really only that the regen starts slower, and if you drink for more than a few seconds then it'll speed up to make up the difference. So it really is more of a changing to the pacing instead of a significant change to the overall downtime (healers are encouraged to commit to drinking strategically, instead of drinking for 2 seconds after literally every pull).

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
(healers are encouraged to commit to drinking strategically, instead of drinking for 2 seconds after literally every pull).
Not in PvE since Fish Feasts still exist.

I said it earlier but all indications so far point toward this being more of a PvP-oriented changed, where it's those first few ticks in arena that can decide a match, where that's not really the case in dungeons, even without Fish feasts.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Not in PvE since Fish Feasts still exist.

I said it earlier but all indications so far point toward this being more of a PvP-oriented changed, where it's those first few ticks in arena that can decide a match, where that's not really the case in dungeons, even without Fish feasts.

Maybe! I think it's likely it's for both though. My money's on the Fish Feasts getting nerfed too.

(This might be wishful thinking somewhat on my part. I've just never really been a fan of the excessive consumption of water in M+...)

EDIT:

Someone also pointed out to me that this is in the patch notes all the way back from 2.4.0:

The benefits of drinking out of combat have been delayed while in the Arena. It will now take four seconds before the full benefit of the mana regeneration will come into effect.

I haven't done Arena on a healer since, uh, Burning Crusade, so I don't know if that was still a thing in BFA or not. But the fact that they (at least at one point) did do this only for Arena makes it seem more likely to me that this change is targeted at M+.

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Been playing around in Beta and having a good time, and while I think most of the new systems are neat and have their place, the conduit system really seems like a mess. It just doesn't add much, and is generally just fiddly. IMO, they'd be better off axing half of the effects, and then moving the rest to an existing system, like legendaries, or even glyphs!

As-is, they just muck up the soulbinds, which are pretty cool, and make them harder to balance. If tinkering with a soulbind was just picking branches of their own abilities, and not slotting in your class effects, I think it would be much more thematically cohesive, and make it feel much less like UI/menu overload.

Status
Not open for further replies.