• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You got big blockbusters because they made enough money with the theatrical window? It hasn't looked like the blockbusters we are used to seeing can be sustained without it.
Read the first post in this thread.

Again-let the Customer have the option to choose between theater or digital on release day. If theaters are worried that more people will choose digital then maybe that should tell them that their model isn't that appealing to most people anymore when they have a choice. Maybe they'll finally start doing something about the people talking on their phones behind me or playing on their iPad in front of me in the theater.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. They don't give a shit about the experience because they know there's nowhere else you can watch the content for 3-6 months.

I don't expect them all to go the way of the Alamo Drafthouse, but over here in the UK the more expensive cinema chain near me has what they call Gallery seating. Basically it's a comfy leather two or three seater (depending on butt size) with ample room between it and the next, a free platter of food and access to a bar before the movie begins. They usually have about ten of these Gallery "sofas" at the very back of the room. I think instead of cramming hundreds of seats into one room, they should really just put more Gallery seats in there instead. I'm sure you could fit about fifty of them per screen and it'd provide more comfort, social distancing and a more premium feeling experience.

Sure they'd make less money per screening but, in a post-pandemic world, if I had to choose between watching the movie at home for £30 or paying £30 to go to the cinema in style to see it, I'd be more inclined to go with the latter.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect them all to go the way of the Alamo Drafthouse, but over here in the UK the more expensive cinema chain near me has what they call Gallery seating. Basically it's a comfy leather two or three seater (depending on butt size) with ample room between it and the next, a free platter of food and access to a bar before the movie begins. They usually have about ten of these Gallery "sofas" at the very back of the room. I think instead of cramming hundreds of seats into one room, they should really just put more Gallery seats in there instead. I'm sure you could fit about fifty of them per screen and it'd provide more comfort, social distancing and a more premium feeling experience.

Sure they'd make less money per screening but, in a post-pandemic world, if I had to choose between watching the movie at home for £30 or paying £30 to go to the cinema in style to see it, I'd be more inclined to go with the latter.

The Arclight in LA is very good and they truly care about the experience. They have dedicated ushers that ensure everything is tip top. Here in the Bay Area? You're on your own. You're lucky if they play the right movie or have the audio on.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
This is not good for cinemas. I really, really hope the damage won't be too big, when covid-19 is under control.

Will be going for the cinema for sure when this hits the theaters.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
And what about uk ? We don't got no hbo max it's kinda stupid if the rest of world doesn't get it spoilers will be everywhere once it hits hbo max

Oct 28, 2017
But it's only happening because of a pandemic.

After it's over, it will go back to theatrical only for expensive blockbusters.

Not necessarily. Now that the band-aid is ripped off, execs will have actual data on revenue generation of this model vs the traditional instead of speculation and estimates. It could driveore content creators to try this even after the pandemic. Maybe we'll even see some bigger budget super hero shows or mini series instead of tentpole movies. After all, a 2-3 hour movie format is not really the ideal way to tell these stories anyway.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite theater has permanently closed. No other theaters nearby offer the experience that one did. I'll watch this from my couch.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much the only DCEU movie with any hype or buzz behind it. For them to just give up and write it off as a streaming release seems insane.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as Cinemark lists Wonder Woman 84 as an option for a Private Watch Party I'm renting out a theater. For my recent birthday, my girlfriend did that, rented out the whole theater, and invited all of my friends to come out to the theater again. Many of my friends hadn't been to a theater since before the pandemic and we all missed the experience greatly.

And I love my HBO Max subscription. It is, by a country mile, my most used streaming service. This is absolutely a movie I want to see in the theaters, though.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to re-subscibing to (the piece of shit) Crave for all of a week to watch this and Letterkenny S9 before dropping it again.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I really really hope situation returns to normal when Batman is ready for release. It would be said if we cant see Batman in a theatre and be relegated to watching it at home.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really don't seem to get that the 'moment' we get to go back to pre-pandemic, people WILL go back.
It's not as simple as a flip of the switch. There's not going to be a single "moment" when everything will go back to normal. Vaccine rollout will be slow and businesses and governments will continue to enforce mask wearing and social distancing just to be safe. Not to mention we're really bad at predicting when things will go back to normal, as seen with Tenet. Nothing will feel normal well into next year and if we return to normal pre-pandemic (even though normal is what made the pandemic so bad in the first place) it'll be a slow and difficult climb. Let's just hope AMC doesn't run out of money then.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the difference between Max and regular HBO?
Think of it more like Warner Bros' version of Disney+. It has tons of things from their entire catalog of movies and TV shows, in addition to the regular HBO tv channel stuff. HBO Max is a bad name because it creates this kind of confusion. Though it was an attempt at using brand recognition to get people to subscribe, and they give it to anyone subscribed to HBO in the US, there's still a lot of people that don't even know there's a difference.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again-let the Customer have the option to choose between theater or digital on release day. If theaters are worried that more people will choose digital then maybe that should tell them that their model isn't that appealing to most people anymore when they have a choice. Maybe they'll finally start doing something about the people talking on their phones behind me or playing on their iPad in front of me in the theater.
This is kinda like saying "If we offer people a home-delivered family dinner for $5 and people chose that instead, then maybe sit-down restaurants will do something about those drafty tables by the kitchen!"

The economics of these films simply don't support widespread streaming distribution on Day 1.....it's not really as simple as just opting for whatever consumers choose, because the choice is between a viable model and one that is unsustainable. Reminds me of MoviePass all over again.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if WarnerMedia have a similar strategy (cinema release coupled with limited window streaming deal) planned for (most of) the rest of the world. Perhaps they'll have a platform like Amazon (for a hefty fee of course) distribute the film the week after its cinema release, which would be the 25th more or less, just as they are doing with HBO Max. They may not want to announce it at the moment to avoid A) confusion and B) let HBO Max have it's moment in the news cycle/social media etc.

If not it does make that much sense to me given that full HD copies of the film will be up on Torrent by midday on the 25th, surely they'd want to at least try to monetise that period between a (surely very limited) cinema release and the eventual Blu-Ray etc release. WB did release The Witches onto PVOD but I doubt such a deal would work for WW84.

If they don't then it shows that this whole deal came together pretty quickly and AT&T brass aren't that interested in WW84's performance internationally compared to the bump they can get for HBO Max in North America.