• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Normally it would be considered decent for a blockbuster but given how well movies hold up over Christmas this seems pretty bad.
Not good, but could be worse.
It won't even touch Last Jedi
RoS ain't hitting $1B WW at this rate. Heads are going to roll.

Jesus. It made 70M over the weekend. Almost the same amount as TLJ. TROS also hit 300M domestic at the same speed as TLJ. Y'all are really blowing this way out of proportion. If you guys consider this bad then where was everyone when TLJ had a 71M weekend and one of the biggest second weekend drops in the disney era of star wars.

So is TROS gonna make a billion or what?

It will, it's just people feigning worry because they want it to fail.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. It made 70M over the weekend. Almost the same amount as TLJ. TROS also hit 300M domestic at the same speed as TLJ. Y'all are really blowing this way out of proportion. If you guys consider this bad then where was everyone when TLJ had a 71M weekend and one of the biggest second weekend drops in the disney era of star wars.

This has been explained over and over in this thread. Those weekends are not apples to apples, TRoS legs are gone after today.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't envy any SW movie director. It is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone and make a family friendly movie that will bring in big bucks.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wide release of 1917 when?! I hate this shit, no one distributes movies in Chicago until they go wide. Bastards. Let me give you my money!

I agree 100% on distribution in Chicago, but for what its worth AMC River East has been playing 1917 since Christmas Day. I saw it earlier today. You will not be disappointed.

Nov 13, 2017
I think the riskiest thing about Rogue One was all the characters dying in the end, but it ends with Leia so you don't really leave feeling upset.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

How many times do people have to point out the calendar differences between the two movies to you? At the same point in their run TLJ had almost a full week more of holiday grosses to look forward to than TROS will get.

Box office grosses are generally lower before Christmas because people are busy with last minute shopping, holiday parties, etc. Once Christmas hits free time goes up and movie attendance increases dramatically for the week between Christmas and New Year's. Post holiday TROS matching pre-holiday TLJ is not a great sign for the former.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Do you work for Deadline?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think the riskiest thing about Rogue One was all the characters dying in the end, but it ends with Leia so you don't really leave feeling upset.

The ending of Rogue One is a master class in film editing and scoring. The whole transition from the final blast to Vader's assault to the handoff to Leia is just wonderfully done and leaves you on a high despite the body count.

Dec 12, 2017
How many times do people have to point out the calendar differences between the two movies to you? At the same point in their run TLJ had almost a full week more of holiday grosses to look forward to than TROS will get.

Box office grosses are generally lower before Christmas because people are busy with last minute shopping, holiday parties, etc. Once Christmas hits free time goes up and movie attendance increases dramatically for the week between Christmas and New Year's. Post holiday TROS matching pre-holiday TLJ is not a great sign for the former.
nO, tHe gRoSsEs BotH hApPeNeNd In ThE sAmE tIMeFrAmE.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like killing them off was the cowardly option. Basically cut off all those characters from future stories, of exploring what happened to them during and after the events of OT, if they ever interacted with the main cast, etc. Felt the same way about Solo killing off everyone who wasn't in the OT, except it hurt more there because Solo's secondary cast had more actual character than anyone in R1 besides Donnie Yen and maybe the robot.

Also, tbh, everyone and their mom called "they're all going to die at the end" the second they announced Rogue One, so it's not like it was really subverting expectations *winkwinknudgenudge*.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy any SW movie director. It is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone and make a family friendly movie that will bring in big bucks.

gettyimages-113877474szjni.jpg

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU didn't have the baggage associated with it that Star Wars does. The OT has been so mythologized and romanticized over the years that every entry is not just expected to be a good blockbuster but a damned transformative experience that simultaneously re-invents mainstream cinema and captures a whole new generation of fans while also re-kindling the childhood nostalgia of everyone who watched the earlier films as kids. It's an impossible standard to reach.

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly, I feel like killing them off was the cowardly option. Basically cut off all those characters from future stories, of exploring what happened to them during and after the events of OT, if they ever interacted with the main cast, etc. Felt the same way about Solo killing off everyone who wasn't in the OT, except it hurt more there because Solo's secondary cast had more actual character than anyone in R1 besides Donnie Yen and maybe the robot.

Also, tbh, everyone and their mom called "they're all going to die at the end" the second they announced Rogue One, so it's not like it was really subverting expectations *winkwinknudgenudge*.
Eh, I kind of loved it.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I love how fast people dump praise on the Russos MCU work but neglect the scripts by Markus and McFeely. They aren't going to win any awards, but they know how to handle those characters well and seem to be neglected.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Like it's not difficult, people
Have responded to everything the MCU has given them.

Who the heck wouldn't want to see the likes of Taika, Coogler, Wan, Patty Jenkins, etc etc tackle SW stories?

If you HAVE to make some sort of new "interconnected" universe at least you know it's in capable hands. Shit on Marvel And DC all you want but they both entrusted their properties to directors that have an actual voice outside of nostalgia pandering/ emulating other, better directors. They tried with Rian but the overall planning was poor. Take some risks, people will respond if the reviews are good, if the WOM carries. Thankfully I think they have to now, nostalgia is done when it comes to guaranteeing no doubt bonkers success

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
The MCU didn't have the baggage associated with it that Star Wars does. The OT has been so mythologized and romanticized over the years that every entry is not just expected to be a good blockbuster but a damned transformative experience that simultaneously re-invents mainstream cinema and captures a whole new generation of fans while also re-kindling the childhood nostalgia of everyone who watched the earlier films as kids. It's an impossible standard to reach.

Well said, that's what I was going for. JJ went with what sells in TFA and was likely pushed to do so again for the third project.

If you HAVE to make some sort of new "interconnected" universe at least you know it's in capable hands. Shit on Marvel And DC all you want but they both entrusted their properties to directors that have an actual voice outside of nostalgia pandering/ emulating other, better directors. They tried with Rian but the overall planning was poor. Take some risks, people will respond if the reviews are good, if the WOM carries. Thankfully I think they have to now, nostalgia is done when it comes to guaranteeing no doubt bonkers success

Unfortunately, with a fanbase as crazy as SW has been, there is 0 chance that can ever happen with a major episode movie.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ding ding ding.

If you gave Star Wars fans movies of quality on par with Spider-Man FFH, Ant-Man 2, Iron Man 2, Avengers: Age of Ulton, even the first Avengers .... Star Wars fans would find ways to rip those movies to shreds.

Their expectations every time out is that you have to take them back to their childhood, do everything they want with their characters and just so, and then also there's a group that's what deeper meaning and resonance and also brand new imagery but also nostalgia as well, lol.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

This is true. There's nothing quite like Star Wars. Many fans have 40 years of expectations built up for these movies. Even if you got into it with the prequels that's 15+ years worth of expectations. Ridiculous.

You'd hope people would be more reasonable now that the Skywalker Saga proper has come to a close, at least.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GIFs of TLJ are so painful

Look at the craft, the framing of this shot

Look at Hamill's conviction, the lightsaber shining in his eyes

Look at the salt falling like snow, the wind parting his hair which looks believably attached to his skull

Look at that dialogue, owning his punk nephew, recalling words he used with Rey, reminding the audience how dope this script is

Look at how he forces too hard doing it. And dies. Because that's what everyone wanted.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well said, that's what I was going for. JJ went with what sells in TFA and was likely pushed to do so again for the third project.
It's again why I suggested they should just do a trilogy once every 20-30 years. That kind of flagrant nostalgia pandering works once, but having to sit through it with TFA, Rogue One, Solo and a shitload of other media we're at the point where most audiences are sick of it and just want it to go away.
Ding ding ding.

If you gave Star Wars fans movies of quality on par with Spider-Man FFH, Ant-Man 2, Iron Man 2, Avengers: Age of Ulton, even the first Avengers .... Star Wars fans would find ways to rip those movies to shreds.
I'd say you're being too conservative there. You could make a film that stands with the cream of the blockbuster crop like ET, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Fury Road, Black Panther, etc Star Wars fans would still find a way to twist it into the worst thing to happen to the franchise since the last movie.
Look at how he forces too hard doing it. And dies. Because that's what everyone wanted.
I mean, I wanted Luke to have a hero's death, giving his life for the greater good, and that's what I fucking got.

Dec 12, 2017
This is why TFA did so well. They repackaged and reheated a slightly altered recipe of people's favorite Star Wars meal.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Sounds to me like you're getting a little too invested in your fiction.

Think I'm done with this thread and forum for a bit. Getting harassed by numerous people for liking things is just not fun to deal with, nor is it something I care to end my decade dealing with more of because I don't feel like making every post about how much I didn't like something

To the people who weren't that way, thank you. Sincerely. This has been one of my favorite threads to follow for years. Was a delight for a while. Take care, see you when I next see you ❤

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comic book fans are just less damn picky too.

It's an established trope in comic books that there's going to be a million different story arcs and different interpretations of the same characters and that they can die and come back and different things can happen.

It's almost more like the characters are actors in a drama company that puts different plays together and they get put into different stories and can be radically different story to story.

So no one bats an eyelash at like Old Man Logan or whatever.

Star Wars fans ... lol ... ain't having none of that shit. It's a sci-fi/fantasy bible to them and if you change something or try something too different from what they like, you are in deep shit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In a cinematic sense I think so yes.

The history of comic book movies in Hollywood is also such that that at one time and I remember this period of time very clearly, any time Hollywood made a comic book movie that wasn't a total embarrassment to the source material, comic books fans basically rejoiced.

Even things like 1989's Batman making the Joker the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents and Jack Nicholson basically just playing himself more than the Joker got a general pass, just because the movie took the characters half way seriously and wasn't laughably silly like the 1960s Batman.

Like that was a huge "win" for comic book fans. Didn't matter if the plot was kind of stupid (well actually pretty stupid, the Joker poisons Gotham with cosmetic products ... which might as well have been the 60s TV show) or the romance incredibly cheesy (Alfred just lets Vicki Vale into the Bat cave).

Star Wars fans on the other hand are kinda entitled, Star Wars is the greatest movie event franchise ever, every movie is tantamount to a religious experience, it's the central pillar of their childhood that has to be carried on to their kids like some kind of religious ceremony, it revolutionized the world, revolutionized Hollywood, yada, yada, yada, they get told this and repeat it over and over again and the idea of anything being compared to it is like this insult or something.

Dec 12, 2017
Comic book fans are just less damn picky too.
No, there have been plenty of shitastic comics properties that fans have turned away from because it didn't do a good job telling stories. See: The first incarnations of the DCEU.

Your passive aggressive attempts at minimizing why the MCU is successful is a tired schtick.

The reality is that Marvel turns in well reviewed and profitable films that keep the fans coming for more. It doesn't rest on its laurels and keep making the same adventures with the same heroes. It expands. It introduces new parts, new onramps for a multitude of different fans while taking care of each subset. It doesn't assume that whatever shit they roll out, the fans will eat up (see: Solo and TROS) AND when a tone to a set of films doesn't resonate with the fans, they are flexible with changing direction, in a good way (see: Thor).

SW has told the same story, 3 times, in three trilogies (Chosen one archetype facing off against big bad, fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance) and they are surprised that people are now catching on and starting to tune out.

Imagine if for three different set of trilogies, Feige rolled out 3 different quests for the Infinity Gauntlet and then at the end, after dying at the end of the second trilogy, Thanos inexplicably returns to "tie everything together".

People would be tuning out of the MCU too.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, there have been plenty of shitastic comics properties that fans have turned away from because it didn't do a good job telling stories. See: The first incarnations of the DCEU.

Your passive aggressive attempts at minimizing why the MCU is successful is a tired schtick.

The reality is that Marvel turns in well reviewed and profitable films that keep the fans coming for more. It doesn't rest on its laurels and keep making the same adventures with the same heroes. It expands. It introduces new parts, new onramps for a multitude of different fans while taking care of each subset. It doesn't assume that whatever shit they roll out, the fans will eat up (see: Solo and TROS) AND when a tone to a set of films doesn't resonate with the fans, they are flexible with changing direction, in a good way (see: Thor).

SW has told the same story, 3 times, in three trilogies (Chosen one archetype facing off against big bad, fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance) and they are surprised that people are now catching on and starting to tune out.

Imagine if for three different set of trilogies, Feige rolled out 3 different quests for the Infinity Gauntlet and then at the end, after dying at the end of the second trilogy, Thanos inexplicably returns to "tie everything together".

People would be tuning out of the MCU too.

Everyone can have their opinion on this, I would bet if you gave Star Wars fans a Star Wars movie equivalent to lets say Spider-Man FFH or Iron Man 2 ... there would be a lot of Star Wars fans that would pick apart 2000 different things that weren't good enough for them.

Too many jokes, not the Spider-Man I grew up with, he's wearing a black suit but it's not the symboite suit what the fuck is that shit, why's the character do X/Y instead of Z, too brain less, no deeper theme, why would the hero be dumb enough to just hand over control to the villain, it's not believable the entire school class gets being taken to all these different cities and no one questions it seriously, no teacher would behave that way, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really debating hitting Dark Waters, Uncut Gems, and Little Women this week/weekend

Also I really enjoy Spies in Disguise, way more fun than it had any right to be

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
It never fails to amaze me how much people under-estimate what a rare phenomenon the MCU is. All the excuses made to hand wave it too.

It has been masterfully done and has hit a chord. This is not something you can just replicate easily (which is why every other attempt at an extended universe has failed).

In so many threads where people kept saying 'It was just people did not want Solo, an extended SW universe would work'. It just seems besides the point.

MCU is a lightning in a bottle combo of talent, hard work, planning, patience (not rushing out conclusions ala justice league or fake end to sagas like TROS) and of course luck/being there are the right time.

I honestly would not expect any other property to do something like this ever or any time soon. There will be franchises that will eventually be more popular/hit a zeitgeist. But the whole extended universe the way Marvel has done it is rare..and deserved respect with how masterfully its been pulled off

Dec 12, 2017
Everyone can have their opinion on this, I would bet if you gave Star Wars fans a Star Wars movie equivalent to lets say Spider-Man FFH or Iron Man 2 ... there would be a lot of Star Wars fans that pick apart 2000 different things that weren't good enough for them.

Too many jokes, not the Spider-Man I grew up with, why's the character do X/Y instead of Z, too brain less, no deeper theme, why would the hero be dumb enough to just hand over control to the villain, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
Your schtick continues to try and cherrypick Spider-Man FFH (91% higher than Rogue One's 83%) and Iron Man 2 (73% higher than Solo 70%) as bad films when they both reviewed just fine.

Your examples make your "argument" look even sillier.

And tonally, the humor FITS the MCU. Star Wars humor would be similarly tuned to fit SW, so your take of "bu-bu-but if Star Wars was just like the MCU, fans would hate it" is disingenuous af.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your schtick continues to try and cherrypick Spider-Man FFH (91% higher than Rogue One's 83%) and Iron Man 2 (73% higher than Solo 70%) as bad films when they both reviewed just fine.

Your examples make your "argument" look even sillier.

And tonally, the humor FITS the MCU. Star Wars humor would be similarly tuned to fit SW, so your take of "bu-bu-but if Star Wars was just like the MCU, fans would hate it" is disingenuous af.

Do you think Star Wars fans wouldn't be critical about a script similar to FFH? I think there would definitely be a portion (a loud one on the internet) that would tear that apart.

Comic book fans are OK with stories being a little sillier anda going in different directions, Star Wars fans treat the story arcs/character more like religious texts in many cases and if you do something they don't like you're gonna get it.

Thor 2 is kinda stupid, Iron Man 3 is stupid (imagine a Star Wars film pulling that twist on a big bad villain, people's heads would explode in rage) at times, but it's no big deal. If you don't like any one film there's another one coming in 3-4 months and you just move on. Which is part and parcel of the comic book storytelling format, if you don't like one story arc, no big deal, it will change in 3 months and another arc starts, and the style can also change radically with different artists and writers constantly being shuffled in/out.

Dec 12, 2017
If anything spider-man 3 & amazing spider man are shite spidey has never recovered from domestically (attendance of all the new films is so far below the rami trilogy)

At least TFA destroyed all records despite prequels apparently being hated
But that's just it. They effectively remade ANH and made audiences "feel" like Star Wars was back. It helped a lot being compared to the prequels. It also was Disney "putting the band back together" with the Core 3, for the first time in over 30 years. George Lucas left a bad taste with fans and JJ was not GL.

It was a HUGE deal and a perfect storm.

It isn't surprising they have been unable to replicate it in the films that followed.

Dec 12, 2017
Do you think Star Wars fans wouldn't be critical about a script similar to FFH? I think there would definitely be a portion (a loud one on the internet) that would tear that apart.

Comic book fans are OK with stories being a little sillier anda going in different directions, Star Wars fans treat the story arcs/character more like religious texts in many cases and if you do something they don't like you're gonna get it.

Thor 2 is kinda stupid, Iron Man 3 is stupid (imagine a Star Wars film pulling that twist on a big bad villain, people's heads would explode) at times, but it's no big deal. If you don't like any one film there's another one coming in 3-4 months and you just move on.
When you actual decide to address what I am saying to you, we can talk.

Your MO is the exact same in every thread. You broach a subject, someone argues you on it and you just keep positing some other shit so you don't have to actually acknowledge the ridiculousness of your "arguments".

And again, you passive aggressive nonsense "iF yOu DoN't LiKe AnY oNe FiLm, tHeRe'S aNoThEr oNe CoMiNg..." is clown shoes.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you actual decide to address what I am saying to you, we can talk.

Your MO is the exact same in every thread. You broach a subject, someone argues you on it and you just keep positing some other shit so you don't have to actually acknowledge the ridiculousness of your "arguments".

And again, you passive aggressive nonsense "iF yOu DoN't LiKe AnY oNe FiLm, tHeRe'S aNoThEr oNe CoMiNg..." is clown shoes,

Dude, having an opinion you don't like isn't a "schtick". For whatever reason you get way too wound up over this stuff.

Did anyone care that Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 or Captain America: First Avenger, Age of Ultron, are kinda bland and/or silly films? No. No one really cares.

When that happens in Star Wars though for some people the world is ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.