Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Animation's princess movie Wish from Frozen franchise director Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn is leading with an $8.7M Wednesday (including $2.3M in previews) at 3,900 sites which will translate to a $24M-$27M 3-day and $40M-$45M 5-day.

Second place will likely go per rivals to Lionsgate's second weekend of The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes at 3,776 theaters which is seeing $7M today, +8% from Tuesday, for a 3-day of $25M-$31M (-30% to -44%), and 5-day of $36M-$45M.

Apple Original Production's Napoleon, distributed by Sony, at 3,500 theaters is looking at $7.4M today, including last night's $3M, for a 3-day in the low $20M and 5-day $28-32M.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Wish is kind of collapsing based on these early numbers. Expectations were at least in the $50m range.

And yeah, the A- Cinemascore ain't great.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
that's not good for wish is it
it has a 200m budget
even with great legs that's a long shot
Wish is kind of collapsing based on these early numbers. Expectations were at least in the $50m range.

And yeah, the A- Cinemascore ain't great.
Hence why Disney is pivoting to Frozen and Zootopia sequels.

Their original animated films have been doing terribly compared to pre-pandemic. Even Encanto did mediocre numbers and only blew up when it hit streaming.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Their original animated films have been doing terribly compared to pre-pandemic. Even Encanto did mediocre numbers and only blew up when it hit streaming.
I heard people saying Wish just isn't that good, but here it will only launch in January (probably after Disney+ lol). Why they keep doing this?

Nov 9, 2017
It seems like it's going to be Wish vs The Hunger Games this weekend... The sing off between Maria and Anita again, as both Rachel Zegler and Ariana DeBose starred in the West Side Story remake. Haven't seen Wish, but Rachel's singing was incredible in THG.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I probably won't watch Wish, but I was spoiled on the ending and what they are doing with it and I laughed so hard I may have to actually see it for myself at some point.

For the record that ending going around is fake.

I liked Wish well enough but I do feel like this anniversary movie would have been a great opportunity to do that Disney Princess team up movie everyone is begging for. Wish already plays it cutesy with references, just dive head in.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Disney should adapt Snow Queen, the Kay and Gerda story. Then it turns out the Snow Queen is older Elsa, boom what a TWIST.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
For real? I was also spoiled by it and was seeing it this Sunday, lol.

If you're going expecting some wacky hilarious ending then yes cancel your ticket. But it's an enjoyable movie! Great songs, go see it. This really is a remarkable shift in moviegoing, whether it's the films themselves or the audience that's degrading I'm not sure, but we're in for a real interesting few years.

Sep 5, 2021
Disney should adapt Snow Queen, the Kay and Gerda story. Then it turns out the Snow Queen is older Elsa, boom what a TWIST.

The season 4 of Once Upon a Time that had Frozen were able to adapt the original Snow Queen story into it. As has Ingrid, Elsa and Anna's aunt, (who is also Emma's adoptive mother) as the Snow Queen of the tale and also as having the Mirror that has fragments that corrupt people when it enters other people's hearts.

And Ingrid's death scene is great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_eHipIaBc

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Parents straight up are not taking their kids to movies anymore unless it's an event movie, which for kids movies is basically locked to just remakes/sequels of already massive hits and certain adaptations like Mario. And most adults continue to be dismissive of animation unless it's directly tied to their own nostalgia. Post-COVID/streaming, it really feels like original animation is dead in the domestic theatrical space.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Parents straight up are not taking their kids to movies anymore unless it's an event movie, which for kids movies is basically locked to just remakes/sequels of already massive hits and certain adaptations like Mario. And most adults continue to be dismissive of animation unless it's directly tied to their own nostalgia. Post-COVID/streaming, it really feels like original animation is dead in the domestic theatrical space.
nah it's not dead. The problem is more than the studios are having trouble putting out original movies of good quality.

Anyway, i'll laugh when Migration, a completely original animated movie, gets a freaking 600 million BO gross after it releases next month.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Putting women in lead roles doesn't automatically makes them want to see a movie, especially if it's an unattractive, unpopular brand and genre with said demo.
It's such a lazy, shallow, overly-simplistic concept.
Especially if those characters look to be yet again unappealing, unrelatable girlboss characters, that wear horrible, fugly, unstilysh superhero costumes, that have no romance or love triangles with hot men, preferably shirtless.
can someone explain why this post is deserving of a permanent ban?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Really happy for THG, it was really good and I've always had a soft spot for the films, the cast was brilliant

In terms of Disney, they've had a really rough two years, tomorrow is Encanto's two year anniversary and it's honestly the last really good film they've made (Elemental and Turning Red were okay but nothing spectacular). We went from having Soul, Luca, and Encanto in a 12 month period, to having Dial of Destiny, Haunted Mansion, Wish, Strange World, Pinnochio, and that Peter Pan film... If you include Marvel in this then GOTG3 and No Way Home are the only good films in the last two years as well and alongside those we've had some of the worst superhero films ever

Was already on the fence about seeing Wish because the trailers were awful and the villain song they released was so bad, and yesterday I saw that the songwriters backgrounds are purely in pop music (Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, etc) and it just completely killed any chances of me seeing it, no idea who decided that was a good idea for a film that was meant to highlight the 100 year celebration

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

nah it's not dead. The problem is more than the studios are having trouble putting out original movies of good quality.

Anyway, i'll laugh when Migration, a completely original animated movie, gets a freaking 600 million BO gross after it releases next month.

Encanto was well-received by critics and audiences and it still didn't do big numbers theatrically; and that film's commercial performance remains the height of original animated features post-COVID.

Chronological OW (original features highlighted in bold and italics):

2020:
[PX] Onward: $39.1M
[DW] The Croods: A New Age: $9.7M
2021:
[WD] Raya and the Last Dragon*: $8.5M
[DW] Spirit Untamed: $6.3M
[DW] The Boss Baby: Family Business*: $17.3M
Paw Patrol: The Movie*: $13M
The Addams Family 2: $17.3M
Ron's Gone Wrong: $7.3M
[WD] Encanto: $40.6M [5-day (Thanksgiving)]

[IL] Sing 2: $22.3M [3-day] / $41M [5-day (Christmas)]
2022:
[DW] The Bad Guys: $24M
The Bob's Burgers Movie: $12.4M [3-day] / $14.8M [4-day (Memorial Day)]
[PX] Lightyear: $50.6M
[IL] Minions: The Rise of Gru: $107M [3-day] / $123.1M [4-day (Independence Day))]
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank: $6.3M
DC: League of Super Pets: $23M
[WD] Strange World: $11.9M [3-day] / $18.6M [5-day (Thanksgiving)]
[DW] Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: $12.4M [3-day] / $26.2M [6-day (Christmas)]
2023:
[IL] The Super Mario Bros. Movie: $146M [3-day] / $204.6M [5-day (Easter)]
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: $120M
[PX] Elemental: $29.5M
[DW]: Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken: $5.5M

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: $28M [3-day] / $43M [5-day]
Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie: $22.8M
[DW]: Trolls Band Together: $30.6M

[WD] - Walt Disney Animation Studios, [PX] - Pixar, [DW] - DreamWorks, [IL] - Illumination

*Film was simultaneously released on streaming on opening day; in Raya/Last Dragon's case, it was released as a "Premiere Access" feature that required added fees to watch

-----

Highest to lowest, 3-day wknds. (excl. Spider-Verse, Mario, and Minions; original features highlighted in bold and italics):
Lightyear ($50M+)
Encanto ($40M+)
Onward

Trolls/Together ($30M+)
Elemental
Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
<<Wish ($24M-$27M?)>>
Bad Guys
DC Pets
Paw Patrol/Mighty
Sing 2 ($20M+)
Addams 2 [Oct 2021]
Boss Baby [July 2021]
Paw Patrol
Puss in Boots
Bob's Burgers
Strange World ($10M)
Croods/New Age
Raya/Last Dragon
Ron's/Wrong

Paws of Fury [2022]
Spirit Untamed [2021]
Ruby Gillman

For what it's worth, I do think Encanto was hamstrung by plain bad luck in terms of timing/release: Sony released NWH a few weeks later and people returned to theaters in droves to see that. Illumination's Sing 2 was released afterwards, and that film not only ended up outgrossing Encanto, it ended up being the highest-grossing animated feature of 2021. I also wouldn't be surprised if Encanto was additionally a victim of Disney conditioning audiences to wait for streaming for their animated films with their Pixar Disney+ trilogy (Luca, Soul, Turning Red). And speaking of which--it was only after the film was released on Disney+, after it languished in its theatrical run; that Encanto was accepted by a large audience, thanks to positive word-of-mouth.

All that told, I definitely would not be surprised if Migration easily clears the competition to have the best OW/commercial run for an original animated film post-COVID. Illumination is already already three-for-three with post-COVID box office hits across Sing 2, Minions 2, and Mario.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
can someone explain why this post is deserving of a permanent ban?
Perhaps the bluntness or repetition? MCU stuff being oddly vacant of romance and sexuality has been a super common criticism for the last 10 years. And comic stuff not doing very well at attracting a more diverse audience that's been a thing since publishers actively started rejecting comics that appealed to and were marketed to girls and women due to either the comic book code or sexism way back in the 50s and got worse as they wanted to appeal to hardcore collectors later.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If only people hadn't rejected Speed Racer, then we'd leave in a technicolor world

weVYOtb.png

1vFQc3j.png

TFNtfUB.png
I can only assume that Iron Man stole Speed Racer's lunch that year because I rewatched it recently and it still rules

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's any indication, and it's Europe. But i had to drive to another multiplex because the one closest by had only front ro seats left for Napoleon. The other is 90% full. It's thursday night and no holiday for us. This might do very well overseas.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Yup

Also the reality is streaming services are dirt fucking cheap compared to going out and buying tickets + snacks for you and your two kids. Plus it costs gas. Plus your kids can't sit still or shut up in the theatre. Plus they gotta pee halfway through and you can't pause the movie. I think the kids demo is probably getting hit the hardest by this new era of streaming.

Depends on the budget and the creatives in charge really, doesn't it? Obviously it's incredibly dumb to do a $200m soulless studio driven Authority film. But keep the budget down and put some great talent behind the pen and camera and you could have something to build upon. Swamp Thing too. Lower budget body horror film. The worst thing that's happened to comic books movies is studios thinking they all need to be 200-300 million budget blockbusters in the same genre. There should be some variety, hopefully DC realise this after Joker and The Batman.
The Authority absolutely needs to be a big spectacle — bringing epic "widescreen" action was the core aesthetic pitch of the Ellis/Hitch comics in the first place.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on the bolded.

Personally, I think it's a price issue. With ticket prices being $12 or more per person, it's just so expensive for a family to go to the theater. Lot easier to turn on Netflix or Disney+ and have the kids watch that.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on the bolded.

Personally, I think it's a price issue. With ticket prices being $12 or more per person, it's just so expensive for a family to go to the theater. Lot easier to turn on Netflix or Disney+ and have the kids watch that.

Yeah, the price difference is the real killer. Not to mention kids are more than happy watching youtube for their after school entertainment.

I can't imagine movie ticket prices will ever go down, but... they really should at this point. the value proposition of a month of streaming vs movie tickets for one single screening of one movie is insane.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, the price difference is the real killer. Not to mention kids are more than happy watching youtube for their after school entertainment.

I can't imagine movie ticket prices will ever go down, but... they really should at this point. the value proposition of a month of streaming vs movie tickets for one single screening of one movie is insane.
And tickets aren't even the most expensive. We went in 5 this week and god the popcorn prices....

That will be somewhat mitigated as streaming prices rise during continued consolidation and alignment of prices versus the cost of producing, but it's obviously not going to go away. Now, what might change is if the volume and expense of what is being produced for streaming gets noticeably scaled back as part of the same process.

But I don't really think there's much reason to think that cutting ticket prices would meaningfully increase theatregoing enough to offset the lost revenues.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Poor Things and Boy and the Heron will probably do well.

Relative to budgets sure, I guess I'm just looking for a big breakout.

Well, Aquaman 2 and MIgration should get initial predictions by outlets soon. It's Christmas Weekend though so you should keep your eye more on long range over opening weekend as the Christmas Weekend has always been a slow weekend for business. Though I already feel whatever Aquaman is going to make there's going to be a lot of posts about it anyway.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's any indication, and it's Europe. But i had to drive to another multiplex because the one closest by had only front ro seats left for Napoleon. The other is 90% full. It's thursday night and no holiday for us. This might do very well overseas.
Well, Napoleon is pretty famous in Europe for shaping the continent in early 19th century. For better or worse.

I've seen history channels making videos about Napoleon to capitalize on the movie's release.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Just for fun, I looked up how much it costs to watch Wish for a single parent with two kids at my closest movie theatre.

1 Adult Ticket = $16.50
2 Kids Tickets = $23.00
3 Regular Popcorn = $24.75
3 Regular Drinks = $18.00

TOTAL = $82.25 BEFORE TAXES for one movie

vs

Netflix 1080p plan = $16.49 for a whole fucking month of infinite content
+ eat/drink whatever is around the house

i mean fuck

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Why do people always include popcorn and drinks in their movie theatre cost estimates? No one's buying that shit as if it's mandatory. Or does everyone else do that and my family/life experience of almost never using the concession stand is somehow an outlier?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why do people always include popcorn and drinks in their movie theatre cost estimates? No one's buying that shit as if it's mandatory. Or does everyone else do that and my family/life experience of almost never using the concession stand is somehow an outlier?
I don't buy going by myself, with family it's part of the experience though

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Whenever I see kids coming into the theatre, they're almost always dropping a shit load of popcorn on the way in. I can also say it's my personal experience, and the experience of relatives in my family with young kids. Popcorn and drink is a part of the night out.

Even still, erase the food and drink, and you're still looking at $39.50 just in tickets for a movie vs $16.49 for a month of netflix.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
For the record that ending going around is fake.

I liked Wish well enough but I do feel like this anniversary movie would have been a great opportunity to do that Disney Princess team up movie everyone is begging for. Wish already plays it cutesy with references, just dive head in.

Ah well, that was the most interesting thing I've seen about it lol.

Big time outlier. Most people aren't sitting through a film without at least a drink or snack, especially young kids