norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think gamers quite understand what's the reality of gaming on handheld devices.

Switch managed to get console games at a decent level, and if you look at them on the 6inch screen, they indeed all look very impressive, and the full support of Unreal 4, support of Unity and other engines which was key for many third party games. Keep in mind the difference in sizes with other home consoles:

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Let's look at what other handheld devices do:

- Gaming on Android/iOS which due to heavy OS and fanless build, the device goes in thermal trottling with pretty much all 3D games and sometimes 2D games too. They struggle even with freaking Fortnite.

- Nvidia Shield tablet, Nvidia made a big deal about some third party port, and still that console was a lag fest. (again i suspect due to the nature of Android not really designed for consoles with all its background activities)

- PS Vita which is obviously and clearly inferior to the Switch since it's an old gen hardware

- 3DS/New 3DS which is slightly more powerful than a Raspberry Pi.

If you want the best gaming solution on the go, Switch is the best option. If you want an all-in-one gaming solution both on the go and at home, it's either the Switch or a laptop which is nowhere near as comfortable to carry around (and if you want something with similar sizes to the Switch, than it's likely as capable or less powerful)

Also, consider that the the ACTUAL hardware inside the Switch is less than half the size of the console. It's freaking waffle-size.

Dec 11, 2017
DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, Starlink, Warframe, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle are six good examples of third party games done right. Solid effort titles, modern quality visuals, clear resolution, and smooth frame rate.

The overall visual fidelity in these games along with their accompanying resolution/frame rate are not too far from what you can experience on the competition, that you are still getting a solid experience.

Add to that the portable nature of the system and I really think that the Nintendo Switch should have far more similar third-party support.

Tomb Raider should be here, Mortal Kombat 11 will be here, DOOM Eternal and the next Wolfenstein will be, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2, and Devil May Cry 5 should be, etc.

If you have to cut the resolution from 1080p to 720/900 and from 60fps to a solid 30, while keeping all/the majority of visual effects/polygon sizes in check, I'm ok with this and think that most gamers are as well.

There are those that will want the most "wow" from DOOM's 2019 outing, but if the NS version looks a little bit better than its predecessor, that's still a very pretty game...and the only way you can easily take it on the go.

All of this graphics talk makes me excited for what Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will look like. Developers just need to put in the effort.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'll always rather play a better looking version of a game and that will never be the switch version . No problem with that

But I dream of Nintendo's teams being able to work on a high powered system one day.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall, when a developer has the time/resources/talent for a game's development and when the game itself has easy ways to make adjustments (i.e. it was 1080p/60fps on other consoles and can become 720p/30fps), the ports can turn out quite well. Exclusives also can look great. It seems that certain engines, like Snowdrop, work really well on Switch.

Switch is clearly a different kind of console from the PS4/XB1, and its capabilities lie somewhere between Wii U and PS4/XB1. As a result, it's hanging in there and probably could run a recognizable version of most modern games released. The exceptions are likely the most technologically ambitious titles, but even then, clever development and compromises could potentially make it happen. (It's just a matter of if consumers would want those compromises' final results.)

I'm feeling okay with the console's capabilities. I'm mostly playing exclusives, indies, remasters, and ports that got special attention, and I'll probably keep doing that, since I own a PS4 that can handle the heavy lifting when needed.

I'm still eagerly awaiting a Switch Pro that can help out with the capabilities, but as has been the case with all of my Nintendo console purchases since the Wii, graphics aren't my primary concern. A good art and tech team still can produce wonderful results. Technologically capable or not, Switch has built up a solid library of good-looking games.

TL;DR: I feel that my Switch's capabilities are fine. It is home to great games that work well on the system, and I have a PS4 to play on when I feel it's a better fit.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
I am sure you can find examples of what I said in this thread.

Not to belabour the point, the hardware is objectively as powerful as it was designed to be for the asking the price of however many units of your local currency. Where the praise lies is with the devs who have, essentially, pulled off great feats of engineering when porting certain games with their "souls" intact, albeit at notable costs.

I am not going to berate OP but it this is an odd thread. Evidence shows that sacrifices (fidelity, performance and visual features and sometimes even sound, like in Dark Souls Remastered) has had to make the ports work on what is a comparatively powerful handheld (at the time of its release) device. In essence, this is like asking what do I think of a laptop with lower spec vs one with higher spec and their capability to run games- They both do but at a different levels of visual and/or aural fidelity. Whether that works for the person in question, given the mobile nature of the hardware, is the more salient question.
Well, thank you. Puts it into perspective for me.
I concur.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely compromised and while it's impressive for a handheld, those games don't stand anywhere close to their bigger cousins.
This. It should also be noted that many of Panic Button's Switch ports are 30 FPS ports of games that run at 60 FPS on the XBO and PS4. And even then they are quite compromised in other ways.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
I'm more interested in games looking and running like Mario oddysey and smash bros

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Starlink looks like a game that was designed for Switch first and foremost. It's not ugly by any means, but it's not on par with what we've seen from other AAA releases on PS4/Xbox One. Character models are very simple looking and the worlds don't look too detailed.

So yeah, Switch running Starlink doesn't really leave me gobsmacked. It's a nice looking game, but it's not doing anything close to the level of a Ghost Recon Wildlands or Assassin's Creed Origins.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's fine. I still don't see the system being this unit with untapped potential that could run something like RE7 without massive cuts.
But it does exactly what it needs to and more devs using Switch as base and porting up is something I hope we see more of in more small-medium titles.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I've been pretty impressed so far tbh. Outside of Xenoblade 2's lacklustre presentation in handheld mode, everything's ranged from good to great. Games built for the hardware like Odyssey or Smash are generally pretty stunning (within the context of the Switch's specs) and ports like Doom or Paladins are very decent versions considering they weren't originally developed with the Switch in mind (and in the case of Doom the only console version worth a damn to me since I'm not stuck using stick aiming). Overall, while it'll never be as powerful as the competition I feel that the Switch stacks up fairly well against them considering it's small footprint, lower specs and miniscule power draw and at least for me it's become my main console out of the sheer convenience portability offers.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch is powerful enough for what it bring. I can tell you once thing, the reason i bought a Switch was for one of Panic Bottom port, Doom. This convinced me already that the Switch will be a very capable machine. Yes, its not as eye candy as the PS4 version, but overall, its an amazing portable experience i never expected. It showed me i will get nice visual out of this machine, even if it wil not be on par with PS4, for me it feel like a PS3+, and even more. I mean, Last of Us and God of War on PS3 can still hold up amazing well compare to what we see today. I dont expect it to show me the best looking games out there ( still BotW still impress me a lot visually ), but im please by what it give me. It doesnt feel a let down if we compare PS3 vs Wii generation.

Oct 27, 2017
DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, Starlink, Warframe, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle are six good examples of third party games done right. Solid effort titles, modern quality visuals, clear resolution, and smooth frame rate.

I'm pretty sure clear resolution and smooth frame rate are not the first things that come to mind for most people when thinking about Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft's snow drop engine is prettiest on the switch in terms of 3rd party output so far imo

I tried Doom, but It looked kinda blurry at times so I returned it after couple hours. Nice that it runs on the switch but meh.

Warframe too has some low textures that could look nasty when you're on land on a planet

MGSV surely could run on the switch since it is a cross gen title, but I'm not sure if anyone wants to play that game at this point lol. If it was a ported, probably I wonder if they would keep it 60fps or make a compromise and do 30fps to make the visuals PS4 level

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think the Switch is powerful enough for what it bring. I can tell you once thing, the reason i bought a Switch was for one of Panic Bottom port, Doom. This convinced me already that the Switch will be a very capable machine. Yes, its not as eye candy as the PS4 version, but overall, its an amazing portable experience i never expected. It showed me i will get nice visual out of this machine, even if it wil not be on par with PS4, for me it feel like a PS3+, and even more. I mean, Last of Us and God of War on PS3 can still hold up amazing well compare to what we see today. I dont expect it to show me the best looking games out there ( still BotW still impress me a lot visually ), but im please by what it give me. It doesnt feel a let down if we compare PS3 vs Wii generation.
I think your final sentence is the best statement to sum up how any reasonable person should see the Switch, especially after the last two consoles. There's really no room to be let down or disappointed, at least in my view.

Nintendo FINALLY did the smart things. They chose the best off the shelf part available (modern architecture developers know), and worked with Nvidia to tailor it from there. They handed developers a machine for which they can just develop the same way they do the other consoles, no exotic or backwards bullshit.

Before Nintendo went anemic power and stupid to develop for, now it's just not as powerful , but it's still sitting at the same table. That's why I don't get why people can't just celebrate instead of wanting to make the Switch even more than what it is, drawing ire.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I say this as a Switch fan - I don't find what Ubi or Panic Button have done in their games is particularly impressive. I would even go as far to say that Panic Buttons games are particularly underwhelming.

I find that the Switch works best with games tailored to suit it and it's weaknesses, sadly this rules out most AAA third party games, but it is what it is.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it is "Is it fun to play?".
Resounding Yes for me.

But DOOM (2016) is fun to play period so not sure why this metric is being used to compare platforms. When it comes to resolution and frame rate, I don't agree with the premise of this thread. Switch ports are severely compromised. Just like PS4/XB1 compared to high end PCs. This is pretty evident without much knowledge either.

Dec 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure clear resolution and smooth frame rate are not the first things that come to mind for most people when thinking about Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch.

Nothing looks as crisp in gaming today than 4K, but 720p paired with modern graphics and level design is still clear/attractive. What Nintendo Switch needs is an action adventure game made ground up by Retro Studios. Something comparable but not a rip-off of Uncharted, for example. I think then we could see if to enough people, is the system significantly more powerful than PlayStation 3/Xbox 360.

Then you could look at Uncharted 3, this hypothetical game of mine, and Uncharted 4 all side-by-side. That would provide a nice picture of just what the system is capable of.

Resounding Yes for me.

Definitely fun!

Oct 27, 2017
Resounding Yes for me.
We're not discussing fun. We're discussing the technical merits of the Switch. The previous poster made the rather fanciful claim that Doom and Wolfenstein 2 ran at clear resolution and smooth rates on the Switch. Sub-720p visuals and mostly sub-30fps gameplay makes such a claim objectively untrue, which I pointed out.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
That's not what's being discussed here chief. You are detracting from the original post and have been from your last post.
Yeah, you are right.
Detracting from the detractors got me tangled.
So: I don't see a "blurry mess" in Doom and Wolfenstein in docked, and in undocked it drops but doesn't hinder the experience (apart from me not really recognizing it, but hey, I didn't even have a problem with XC2 undocked, so maybe I just don't have the eye :-/)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I say this as a Switch fan - I don't find what Ubi or Panic Button have done in their games is particularly impressive. I would even go as far to say that Panic Buttons games are particularly underwhelming.

I find that the Switch works best with games tailored to suit it and it's weaknesses, sadly this rules out most AAA third party games, but it is what it is.

Mario + Rabbids is one of the best looking games on the system. How can you not find that impressive? Its extremely pretty.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you are right.
Detracting from the detractors got me tangled.
So: I don't see a "blurry mess" in Doom and Wolfenstein in docked, and in undocked it drops but doesn't hinder the experience (apart from me not really recognizing it, but hey, I didn't even have a problem with XC2 undocked, so maybe I just don't have the eye :-/)
yes not alone on this either.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Mario + Rabbids is one of the best looking games on the system. How can you not find that impressive? Its extremely pretty.

I totally forgot about that game! It is indeed pretty. It kind of goes with what I mentioned in my post - the game was tailored to the Switch and it's drawbacks - so it was able to pull off some nice visuals. When I mentioned Ubi and PB I meant multi-platform games that have been ported to the Switch rather than games built from the ground up.

Perhaps I'm getting old but I had less of an issue with the visuals in XC2 than I did Doom/Wolf.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's stronger than PS3/360/Wii U and weaker than PS4/XONE. It can produce some gorgeous and ambitious games in the right hands but I knew that when I played BotW and Odyssey.

While I find Panic Button's to be very impressive, they don't really change my perception about the system itself more the extremely talented people that worked on the ports.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I totally forgot about that game! It is indeed pretty. It kind of goes with what I mentioned in my post - the game was tailored to the Switch and it's drawbacks - so it was able to pull off some nice visuals. When I mentioned Ubi and PB I meant multi-platform games that have been ported to the Switch rather than games built from the ground up.

Okay, fair enough. For me Mario+Rabbids is the game I associate Ubisoft with on Switch so it automatically made me go "but that game is so pretty"

Perhaps I'm getting old but I had less of an issue with the visuals in XC2 than I did Doom/Wolf.

XC2 looks sorta ass in handheld mode imo but its a more colorful game with a crazy strong sharpening filter. I think its avg res is prob better than Wolfenstein.

A game like Crash Trilogy is probably the best example imo of a pretty low resolution (about 25% above 480p) that actually manages to look solid on the Switch's screen.

Oct 27, 2017
As has been said; it doesn't compare and doesn't really need to. It's such a different proposal.

How the hell else can someone play these games on-the-go? Play Final Fight in your office or Diablo 3 while waiting for your kids? Play an RPG snuggled up on the couch with someone while they watch TV?

Sure, I'd prefer if Switch could do 4k visuals AND be a hybrid, but to me it's the hybrid angle that really matters.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is generally how I feel. Switch games look abominable on my 55' OLED, especially compared to the PS4 and Xbox One.

It is very impressive as a handheld console but I don't particularly care about portable games.

I wish Nintendo would release a powerful home console, with a proper controller and without the gimmicks attached. We haven't really had one of those since the Gamecube.

It's ironic that many Xbox One and PS4 games run at 900p so I don't know how Switch games looks "abominable" lol...

Nintendo's (and more stylised) art styles look fine at 900p on a 4k display. I'd put Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Mario x Rabbids up against any Xbox One or PS4 game for how nice they look visually.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash also run at native 1080p and look fantastic when docked.

Do you actually own a Switch or are you judging the games based on YouTube footage?

At the end of the day it's all opinion on whether you find a game pleasing to look at or not.

Technically they're obviously far, far behind the competition but that's doesn't mean their games aren't beautiful to a lot of people.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
decent handheld, bad console

Really, I'm baffled Panic Button gets the praise they do. The only solid port they have under their belt is Rocket League which runs at 60FPS even in handheld and looks good as well. But everything else is a poorly optimized 30FPS port that doesn't even run as well as on any other system, which just isn't a good idea when the games being ported weren't developed to run at anything lower than 30. It's a very inferior experience and I don't know why these devs think making the game look super flashy and pretty in exchange for a low FPS is a good idea. Same could go for other devs who lower the FPS of their games, like how Ys 8 is 30FPS on Switch. Amazing godlike game that ran worse than that on Vita and was fine, and it's mostly fine on Switch, but it also includes stuff that was exclusive to the PS4 at one point, and that includes a higher difficulty level which was NOT intended to run at 30FPS in the slightest and it just feels terrible

So maybe they could add a proper framerate as an option, or just port games that run at 30FPS already and wouldn't suffer from a transition. Hate to say it, but the Switch's underpowered nature fails to impress me even with all these AAA ports due to how almost all of them have major compromises. The gems for me come from the retro compilations and indie games, since the system's power is PERFECT for those and I will love each and every single attempt to bring over a retro game to this thing. I kinda wish Nintendo and other devs would port GCN games or their older stuff instead like Sega does with Sega Ages, giving them a fancy treatment for switch. More good HD Remasters like Okami HD and Onimusha would be nice too, and that would work a lot to impress me in the end. But still, I haven't found any major third party game except maybe Dragon Ball FighterZ that has made me go "wow, I can't believe the Switch isn't exploding from running this game!" That's kinda why stuff like Arcade Archives and simple puzzle games from the eShop have been my jam over buying something like Diablo 3 when I could get it for less on another system and have it run better.

Bring on the Switch Pro, maybe with an optional mini CD drive or something that would lead to devs not having to use those puny carts if they don't want to compromise their game.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It's ironic that many Xbox One and PS4 games run at 900p so I don't know how Switch games looks "abominable" lol...

Nintendo's (and more stylised) art styles look fine at 900p on a 4k display. I'd put Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Mario x Rabbids up against any Xbox One or PS4 game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash also run at native 1080p and look fantastic when docked.

Do you actually own a Switch or are you judging the games based on YouTube footage?

At the end of the day it's all opinion on whether you find a game pleasing to look at or not.

Technically they're obviously far, far behind the competition but that's doesn't mean their games aren't beautiful to a lot of people.
I mean personally it has to do with Nintendos refusal to use any AA.. Odyssey in particular did not have nice smooth edges, and don't get me started on that Mario's atrocious "shadow" when he's behind an object. For whatever reason these issues are exemplified on a 4k screen but look fine handheld.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
If a game is designed exclusively for the system, it can look pretty good in it's own right. You look at some of the first party titles and they look great and play very well. When you try and take games that are designed for an entirely different level of technical abilities and attempt to cut it down to run on the Switch, then you end up with issues. Sure some people will think it's great that those games can even run on the Switch at all, but its obvious for anybody that plays on platforms besides the Switch that when it comes to hardware it is quite weak compared to other options, and ports of larger games suffer for it.

I always saw the Switch as being somewhere between the WiiU and base X1 and none of it's releases have changed my opinions at all. On the plus side the only releases that really matter on there are first party games and they look just fine as they aim for a design choice that fits Nintendo hardware.

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's (and more stylised) art styles look fine at 900p on a 4k display. I'd put Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Mario x Rabbids up against any Xbox One or PS4 game.

I've had a Switch since Day One.

And yes, it is down to opinion. And in my opinion, Switch games do look shit on modern displays. You may not know this, but PS4 and Xbox games running at sub-1080p usually feature high-res texture work and excellent post-processing to overcome the resolution difference. Battlefront 2 on the PS4 is a good example. It's 900p, yet still blows away any Switch game, 1080p or not.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same as always. I'll never prefer it to its alternatives for anything that looks even remotely taxing.

Just because something is techincally impressive doesnt mean its actually even acceptable.

Switch is yet to even do something as impressive as xeno x.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I find quite amusing how everytime someone suggest a switch port, some users in this very board express something of a squirming, like someone was pinching their stomach, or something. So, even we don't get the port, we can always appreciatte this phenomenom ritgh in front of our eyes, at least.

I stand in a middle ground, its probably more tangible than most big AAA devs thinks, but not as worthy as some fans seems to believe. Of course i want all games, nobody thinking logically wound want to have a plattaform that doesn't have all games, but if some devs or publishes have doubts if will sell enough to justify the cost, I can see this as totaly justifiable. Just because indies goes from 50k to 200K, doesn't mean that big aa devs will go from 1 million to 4 million.

That said, in a techinical perspective, 2 things bother me on most switch ports: ultra low resolutions texture and muted colors.

One thing for sure, would be way easier and port quality would be way better if the portable mode was optional or secondary.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
There is far more to image quality than just resolution. For sure most nintendo games look amazing on the switch, mario odyssey is a great looking game docked and in handheld mode. But the art style helps with this. Put the xbox/ps4 version of any third party game next to the switch version docked and the difference is massive, not just in looks but performance. This is why I also wish there was proper powerful console made by nintendo as I have no use for handheld at all and will never purchase a 3rd party game for the system that is also available on xbox/ps4.

The appeal of the switch is the fact that you can take these games on the go which is really cool, but if you have little use for handheld mode you are doing yourself a disservice playing a game that is available on a cheaper and more powerful console.The switch bundles sell for significantly more than an xbox one s in Australia and a little more than a PS4 bundle, and those come with games where the switch doesnt. The Pokemon limited switch is $300 more than an S at the moment, THREE HUNDRED! Just insane.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I also wish Nintendo would release a dedicated home console with power parity to the competition. Imagine how much better BOTW would look and run on a PS4-level system .

I love my Switch but I'm disappointed by the power. It feels like firmly in between PS360 and current gen.

Some games look phenomenal, like Smash and Mario Kart, but the blurriness and choppy frame rate on other first party games is disappointing. And for multi-platforms, I have get to see a Switch version that is even close to current gen counterparts.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it again, developers are better off creating games specifically for Switch and its hardware, instead of trying to shoehorn mutliplats like Doom and Wolfenstein. They are cool and impressive, but they look like vaseline smeared ass, to be perfectly honest. I own both of those fwiw.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The premise of this conversation is...interesting. Sure, these games running on a handheld is impressive, but they aren't comparable to PS4/Xbox One. People hold up something like DOOM as this example that the system is underrated and seemingly capable of anything as if it were a Shonen Jump protagonist when in reality a linear 60 FPS game needed to cut the FPS to 30, reduce physics and resolution to get it playable and the resolution in handheld mode at times drops below HD.

So yeah, there are impressive ports. But considering we are on the precipice of a new generation I don't think much of the Switch's potential in terms of its capacity to play graphically impressive games. I guess I'll put it this way, if you judge it based on it being docked it simply doesn't stand up to PS4 or Xbox One and to insinuate it does because games can run on it seems...odd. If you are impressed that a handheld can run it then it's a completely different conversation (and I assume people often make the mistake of posting docked screenshots to show what a game can look like on the Switch while simultaneously the undocked, handheld version is why they got it in the Switch).

Don't get me wrong the Switch is a great console and I love that Nintendo is doing so well, but that doesn't mean we can't push back some with hyperbolic sentiments towards things like the Switch being overlooked for its ability impress graphically if developers find the secret sauce.

I'll say it again, the primary example most people use for the Switch is a port where it's FPS is cut in half...

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

And yes, it is down to opinion. And in my opinion, Switch games do look shit on modern displays. You may not know this, but PS4 and Xbox games running at sub-1080p usually feature high-res texture work and excellent post-processing to overcome the resolution difference. Battlefront 2 on the PS4 is a good example. It's 900p, yet still blows away any Switch game, 1080p or not.

Smash ultimate definitely do NOT looks like shit on modern displays. don't hide these type of statements behind the word "opinion", they are BS.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's (and more stylised) art styles look fine at 900p on a 4k display. I'd put Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Mario x Rabbids up against any Xbox One or PS4 game for how nice they look visually.

It's more than just resolution. It's what anti-aliasing technique is used. It's the high quality texture work. The Last of Us on PS3 looks better than the majority of Switch Games and it's running on a PS3 with 512 mb of RAM (split between video and system). And that's running at 720p.

And when it comes to ports the IQ on Switch games is frankly terrible. This isn't just related to AAA either, just look at Dead Cells and how poorly it was optimized on the Switch. These things aren't opinions, these are facts. Nintendo needs to prioritize these in their next set of first party titles, otherwise they will continue to be criticized for them.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Okay...

You sound like you're arguing image quality rather than graphical fidelity. Odyssey, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Rabbids and Smash on Switch all compete with XB1 and PS4 games for me. Maybe not for you. That's fine if you want to miss out on some of the greatest games ever made because of a few jaggies or a few blurry shadows. I'm glad I don't care that much.

And Battlefront 2 would run at 600p / low PC settings / 30fps when docked on Switch if EA cared enough to port it.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more than just resolution. It's what anti-aliasing technique is used. It's the high quality texture work. The Last of Us on PS3 looks better than the majority of Switch Games and it's running on a PS3 with 512 mb of RAM (split between video and system). And that's running at 720p.

And when it comes to ports the IQ on Switch games is frankly terrible. This isn't just related to AAA either, just look at Dead Cells and how poorly it was optimized on the Switch. These things aren't opinions, these are facts. Nintendo needs to prioritize these in their next set of first party titles, otherwise they will continue to be criticized for them.

The only people that care enough to criticise them for jaggies are a few hundred people on enthusiast forums. I'm sure they don't care, especially considering they're on course to pass Xbox One lifetime hardware sales by next summer and their software is selling at record numbers while also receiving rave critical reviews.