When will you be upgrading the SSD on your next gen console?

• Immediately or very shortly after launch and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Immediately or very shortly after launch but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 446 44.8%
  • I don't plan to as I'll manage the internal drive and/or use cold storage as being good enough

Votes: 283 28.4%
  • I don't even wear underwear.

Votes: 113 11.3%

• Total voters

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I do have decade old SSDs and they're fine. Also, the main problem is writes and there's not that much to write when gaming, other than saves, recordings and live feed cache. Game installs happen mostly once and updates may be (sorta) frequent, but all these won't account for hundreds of terabytes before next-next generation happens.

You'd have to be unlucky to have an SSD fail on you and the kind of data loss should be quite unimportant if you get cloud saves and whatnot. Really no cause for concern.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Some are - like I said, SSDs used in high resolution video cameras hit their write warranties I'm sure. Not likely a problem for games though.
oh of course, but consoles which we are talking about here there is no way in hell. That is a shit load of data. Hell Even on my iphone I bought a 256 gb model 4 years ago and I still haven't filled it yet lol. I think we vastly over estimate our data usage.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The default storage on the 5 will be more than enough. I won't have more than 2 big games on it at any one time and maybe a handful of smaller titles/demos at most.

Oct 25, 2017
oh of course, but consoles which we are talking about here there is no way in hell. That is a shit load of data. Hell Even on my iphone I bought a 256 gb model 4 years ago and I still haven't filled it yet lol. I think we vastly over estimate our data usage.
Yeah I think your ISP will be on the phone with you if you're downloading 300gb a day a lot sooner than your SSD would fail.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think your ISP will be on the phone with you if you're downloading 300gb a day a lot sooner than your SSD would fail.
Yeah esp with people wit data caps. It's kind of crazy as bigger the numbers get the harder it is to fathom. People struggle to realize how exponentially large a billion is vs a million. Million Seconds = 12 Days Billion 31 years lol. This is similar to the TBW scenario here. Lol.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I don't mind uninstalling games.

In 3 years I'll probably get a slim or pro version.

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know how ps5 uses a 2nd internal? Is it seen as a 2nd drive? Does it get combined into 1 volume? Can we run ps5 games off the internal (assuming yes). I understand how the external drive works.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
Even when you factor in things like supposedly the PS5 is always recording your game session to make it easier to save a moment or how the Xbox Series S/X is constantly dumping out the RAM state and storing it for multiple games to the SSD? I think things like that will add up over time.
Please, stop scaring yourself and other potentially uninformed players here. I'm just taking Samsung 980 Pro here as an example as that will be in my short list of drives to install on the PS5. 980 Pro is switching to TLC this gen but even then it still has a write endurance of 1200TBW. That translates to 0.3DWPD across the 5-yr warranty period.

Do you think you can write 300GB of data to the ssd every day? Seems unlikely to me.

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I've never been one to have 10-15 games installed on my system at one time hoping between games. So I don't plan on ever upgrading.

Even if games started coming in at 200gb installs, I'm still good.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This is very much not going to be a concern given the use of consoles. There's just no way you're going to be driving these SSDs anywhere near hard enough to have to worry about causing long term problems for the SSD unless you're talking about 10 years from now.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I probably will in a year or so. I have had 2 Samsung Pro SSDs failed in my home server. Granted they were covered under warranty, PS5 will have like 1 year warranty. So if I'm not that lucky with SSDs, the PS5 will fail after warranty.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Wear is not a concern and my XSX will have the expansion on day one. My PS5 will be for exclusives only so I don't think I need to worry about expanding it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Do we know how ps5 uses a 2nd internal? Is it seen as a 2nd drive? Does it get combined into 1 volume? Can we run ps5 games off the internal (assuming yes). I understand how the external drive works.
Not sure how it's seen in the system, but you can run all games off of it if it's the higher speed ones they recommend

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was luckily able to secure both systems, although my Best Buy XSX preorder still doesn't feel assuring. I don't think I'll ever have to upgrade to more ssd storage since I already have externals for both my Xbone and PS4. The games transfer over pretty fast and the cost attached to the new SSDs is simply not worth it. If either sides solution drops down to about 100 for 1tb I may bite but until then nope

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
If the SSD dies in the 3 to 4 years before the half step consoles come out.. I'll be pissed, but I'm not going to spend a ton of money to protect the internal SSD.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The Xbox Series X drive appears to be replaceable, but I assume that Microsoft would have to do the replacement. The PS5 drive is soldered to the motherboard, however.

Either way, I would expect that the controller will ensure it has a long life.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I'll add that I look after ~1200 pc's with a 4/5 year replacement schedule. Now that we are all SSD I actually get LESS warranty jobs for SSD's vs mechanical drives.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Of fuck, this is how stupid fucking rumors start.

SSD wear is absolutely NOT an issue. Those things will last for a long, long time. Nobody. I repeat, NOBODY should buy an extra SSD because of this.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Unless someone is writing hours of 4K60fps high bit rate captures every day onto their already limited space internal SSD, aside from actual mechanical defect, TBW for flash chips have been extraordinarily high for a while now and should be the least of people's worry. Once it was a concern but now newer factual evidence (over the last few years) have made them irrelevant and tantamount to FUD meant to instill antiquated fears.

The only reason I would upgrade is because I require extra space and that is that.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
My oldest SSDs have only used a small fraction of their rated endurance so no

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'll probably add fast storage at some point? But not doing it at launch. Hopefully when they're cheaper. Will probably use external drive for PS4 storage before then.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
More than likely going to bite the bullet and get it over with for both. Not really concerned about the internal wear and tear as it should last reasonably long.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Um... SSD's tend to wear out in terms or read/wrote but you you would need to be moving a lot of data to exhaust them sooner then the average lifespan of a console.

Oct 28, 2017
SSD wear is like the type of thing retail stores told you in the early 2010s to convince that your WD Black hard drive was worth the extra cost.

Haven't killed a SSD scratch disk yet so...

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Since the majority of operations will be reading and not writing, its not going to be impacted the way an SSD on a regular computer might.

Even then, shouldn't have any issues for many many years and regular HDDs would more likely fail before SSD does.

So OP, no - not at launch. I'd like to add 2TB to my PS5, so I'll wait maybe a year and try to grab one on "cyber weekend" or whatever other sale comes up.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get an external HDD or SDD to store my PS4 games and PS5 games I don't actively use but don't want to delete (if that's possible obviously).

I might upgrade the internal SSD once it gets way cheaper but I can wait.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If I run out of space I may just get a 1GB SSD, but I dont think I will. I'll see how I manage with my external HDD, and see how transferring games works. But the prices of a 1tb SSD dont seem all that bad, but if I can wait a year, and pick one up on sale, then I would rather do that.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Considering I've been using a pair of Crucial M4 SSDs in RAID 0 in my PC for the last ten years without any issues whatsoever, I really don't have any concerns about much more modern SSDs having problems. The idea that SSD flash memory "wears out" quickly is a really old problem and not something anyone should be worried about these days.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yes of course.
I also stockpile scuba tanks with oxygen, lest we ever run out, and have oil drums filled with a few months of water. You know, just in case.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll add more storage to the inside of my PS5, but for more space. Not concerned about wear n tear.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
Even when you factor in things like supposedly the PS5 is always recording your game session to make it easier to save a moment or how the Xbox Series S/X is constantly dumping out the RAM state and storing it for multiple games to the SSD? I think things like that will add up over time.

I think it will be fine. If they have a 1DWPD, 5 year drive you would need to switch between 64 different games a day or install 1TB of games per day to get even close to running down that drive down, in 5 years time. I don't think that's a realistic use case at all.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'll upgrade it much much later.

I honestly don't plan on having a bunch of games I don't play all on my drive at once.