When will you be upgrading the SSD on your next gen console?

• Immediately or very shortly after launch and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Immediately or very shortly after launch but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 446 44.8%
  • I don't plan to as I'll manage the internal drive and/or use cold storage as being good enough

Votes: 283 28.4%
  • I don't even wear underwear.

Votes: 113 11.3%

• Total voters

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Don't worry about wear concerns. I have a server that uses a SSD for cache which gets a ton of writes and reads 24/7 for years now and it's still fine.
If you wanna reinstall games 24/7 for 8 years then sure, be concerned.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Something that should be noted about SSD usage wear behavior. If you are above ~80% of space used you are wearing it down even faster, so always leave some room free.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
My plan is to eventually do so. I have a 2TB in my PS4 Pro and would like to get something similar for whenever I get a PS5 but will probably just keep it with the standard until those prices go down.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
How about the option for "I don't plan to as I don't care about internal wear?". This has never been a concern over in PC land.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Buying an expansion as soon as I can buy either/both but it's nothing to do with wear on the internal drive. It's because I want more space.

Is that really a concern?

Oct 24, 2019
I don't even know what that means lol.

If I have an issue I'll get them to fix it, or I'll trade in my launch console for the inevitable pro revision

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's no more write heavy than average computer use and SSD's have been working fine under those conditions for years now.

PC's aren't dumping out RAM state to the SSD frequently either though.

If I'm doing my math correctly, if you play say two sessions a day on the Xbox Series S/X, you'll be writing out 27GB a day to the SSD which adds up to almost 100TBW a year and that's just only from dumping out the RAM states. That to me doesn't seem like an insignificant hit.

Edit: Incorrect math based off someone else's post.

How about the option for "I don't plan to as I don't care about internal wear?". This has never been a concern over in PC land.

That option in the poll is there under "I don't plan to as I'll manage the internal drive and/or use cold storage as being good enough"

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'll likely wait for a price drop. Not concerned with wear.

If using an external drive for cold storage is possible, that'll likely be what I do in the meantime.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'll gut that mother f'er day one like a wildman and tinker with its guts to PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Missing an option : "No, because it's not an issue". Your poll makes it seem like the best case if you can use cold storage and closely manage it. My oldest SSD is a 12 year old Intel X-25 and it's still at more than 90% lifespan despite being filled up from the start and having spent thousands of hours in WoW.

Stop putting fear in people heads for nonexistent problems. We're not talking about a super busy SQL server that writes terabytes per day, the game writes once and mostly randoms reads with a patch every few weeks.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Not concerned in the slightest, I'll expand if I find the internal drive too small but I have fast internet and tend to play playstation games one at a time so I doubt I'll have issues

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I'll probably pick up an extra 500gb or 1tb card at some point if storage becomes a problem. SSD wear is somewhere after house fire and drunken Twister mishap on my concern list of things that could happen to my console. And I don't even own Twister.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
It's a non concern and should never be a concern unless you are an overly concerned person. In which case everything in your life would be considered an concern.

Last edited:

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
FUD again... feels like there is a new thread every day. This is a non issue OP.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't SSDs suppose to last longer than HDDs? Because I've still yet to have a HDD that malfunctions after 20 years of using them.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Really strange concern thread. You might as well be worried about the CPU/GPU wearing out as well.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Internal wear seriously isn't an issue. With this and the Series X heat stuff are people just looking for things to be concerned about?

Anyways, I'll upgrade the storage soon as there's a good deal on something compatible. Glad the PS5 takes standard NVMe PCIe 4.0 drives too. Samsung look promising but crossing fingers that Sabrent has something decently priced.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to worry about SSD longevity unless you're writing something like 1tb+ (or the full capacity of the drive) every day. For games that you only write once per download, it's unlikely going to be an issue before other parts on the console start to fail. SSDs have way better longevity than the shitty hard drives in the last gen consoles.

SSDs generally have warranties that cover their entire capacity being written many hundreds of times, and of course they can last much longer than the warranty coverage. It's just not a likely concern for a games drive - it may come up for SSDs used to record 8k video every day or something like that.

If you really want to baby your SSD, reserve some space and don't fill it up to capacity. Keep 10% free. Not necessary though.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like something like this is really unnecessary to be worrying out this early, before both systems have even launched.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Plan to, but will wait for a price drop.

Not at all concerned about wear, just about having extra storage space.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
going to hold on for a bit. Standard Nvme can be got for around £100 for 1TB, so if they can get fast ones down to £150 I might bite (and get one for my PC at the same time - although I'm also waiting to see if DirectStorage delivers meaningful benefit on PC)

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Those limited SSD writes sure have some people spooked, when the reality is that harddrives were absolutley awful in lifespan by comparison, and SSDs in PC usage last 10years+ for most use cases. Hell, the APU might expire before a decade has passed. The situation should be even better for consoles since the writes should be a bit less frequent than your average PC.

If Sony fuck up, there are potential firmware-level workarounds too (Eg, migrating the OS to expandable memory, etc). I wouldn't really worry about it tho.

Oct 25, 2017
PC's aren't dumping out RAM state to the SSD frequently either though.

If I'm doing my math correctly, if you play say two sessions a day on the Xbox Series S/X, you'll be writing out 27GB a day to the SSD which adds up to almost 100TBW a year and that's just only from dumping out the RAM states. That to me doesn't seem like an insignificant hit.
27gb is nothing.

Here's Samsung's SSD warranties:
www.samsung.com

SSD Product Warranty | Support | Samsung Semiconductor Global

Samsung ensures the best quality in all products and services beyond customer expectations. Warranty policy, conditions for Internal and Portable SSD.
The 1TB 970 EVO (closest NVME drive on the list) has a warranty of 600TB written.

At 27gb/day that would take 60 years to hit the warranty write life. The 5 year warranty would expire much sooner.

Also 27gb * 365 days = 9,855gb. Which is closer to 10TBW. I don't know where you got 100TBW a year.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
27gb is nothing.

Here's Samsung's SSD warranties:
www.samsung.com

SSD Product Warranty | Support | Samsung Semiconductor Global

Samsung ensures the best quality in all products and services beyond customer expectations. Warranty policy, conditions for Internal and Portable SSD.
The 1TB 970 EVO (closest NVME drive on the list) has a warranty of 600TB written.

At 27gb/day that would take 22 years to hit the warranty write life. The 5 year warranty would expire much sooner.

Also 27gb * 365 days = 9,855gb. Which is closer to 10TBW. I don't know where you got 100TBW a year.
I miscalculated and was off by a 0. That's my bad. Someone else mentioned earlier at 33GB a day, it would take 5 years to get 600TBW and I quickly piggybacked off that difference. So I didn't carefully check the math at that point.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not concerned about wear and tear but I do want to get extra storage ASAP. 1TB is just simply not enough and the fact that we have even LESS storage space than the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X is horrible. The Series X SSD maybe a at launch or really close to launch purchase, cause I'm probably going to end up filling that tiny bit of 800 GBs within the first week.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked on NOR flash wear leveling. If i alone could in a couple of weeks come up with something that would keep a flash chip alive for 25 years with write operations happening every second, i believe that Microsoft's and Sony's engineer's did it too, and way better.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I used my SSD so much it wore out.

But seriously, they will eventually have issues, but I think it may be decades since they're not operating like PCs.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Not concerned at all and probably won't expand my PS5 storage unless I stumble over a 100-120€ deal. Not because I'd need it but because it'd be within senseless impulse buy territory.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh god please don't tell me I have to worry about the integrated SSD wearing out on a premier m console I haven't even bought yet. My OCD will go crazy.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Never had problems with the current gen, don't think I will with the next since I play one game at the time.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My question is if you install an upgraded, will the ssd unify into one pool? Or will you have to choose where to install, internal or expansion drive.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I would like to do it as soon as possible.
But I'll probably have to wait awhile.
Will be too expensive.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I miscalculated and was off by a 0. That's my bad. Someone else mentioned earlier at 33GB a day, it would take 5 years to get 600TBW and I quickly piggybacked off that difference. So I didn't carefully check the math at that point.
to hit 5 years you'd have to be writing consistently ~300 GB a DAY lol. Nobody is doing that every single day.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I used a SSD in my laptop for 5 years with no problem before replacing it with a larger one. Not concerned at all about wear. I'll expand the SSD on my PS5 when it's affordable.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
You could practically re-download every game in your library every single day for the life of the system and not "wear out" the SSD. It's not even a non-issue, it's just not even a thing.