When will you be upgrading the SSD on your next gen console?

• Immediately or very shortly after launch and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Immediately or very shortly after launch but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 446 44.8%
  • I don't plan to as I'll manage the internal drive and/or use cold storage as being good enough

Votes: 283 28.4%
  • I don't even wear underwear.

Votes: 113 11.3%

• Total voters

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
We've now seen the internal make up of both platforms and both have their SSDs embedded into the system which makes them not easy to replace in the event of a failure. We also now know the general pricing of what we can expect to pay to expand the storage. Right now we have $220 for a 1TB Seagate drive on the Xbox Series S/X and a range of 512GB ($150), 1TB ($230) and 2TB ($450) from Western Digital for the PS5. Both systems should have options from other vendors available at some point as well.

SSDs generally have a pretty decent life span with the number of writes allowed before it's likely to fail, but keep in mind that things like moving large games from cold storage to the main SSD will impact that over time and features like automatically recording game footage from your session and RAM dumps to store the state of the game for quickly jumping between games will also have an impact of how much data is constantly being written to the drive. That's even getting before talking about what games might be doing to write data to the SSD as well. So I believe the write utilization is going to be higher than what one might typically experience on a PC and even on a PC you have an easy way to replace the drive which makes it less of a concern but that isn't true with the embedded SSDs here.

There are some questions to be considered in all this too that we might not know the current answers to. Do we know how each console responds to the event of the internal SSD failing since the OS is contained on it? Will the system be able to use expanded storage as it's main drive instead? Will expanding storage allow you to choose which storage to store games on or will it be one large storage pool that abstracts it for you? These are just some concerns one might have with trying to reduce the wear and tear of the internal drive and why it may be a good idea to expand the system sooner rather than later, especially if your plan is to use it for a long time. Keep in mind, on both systems, upgrading your SSDs do not replace the internal ones; they add on to them.

So getting down to the point of this thread, do you plan on upgrading sooner rather than later to reduce the wear and tear on the internal drive that cannot be replaced?

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Wear on the internal ssd is the least of my concerns. I don't even want to think that could be a problem, man.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I could barely afford my PS5 pre-order lol

Right

Nov 24, 2017
SSD only wear with write operations, and games are not write heavy at all.
I'll buy one when I filled up the internal storage, which should last me at least 1 year.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
With how often the average gamer will be using the drive, even moving titles back and forth, it probably still will be at least 10 years or more before you reach the expected lifespan of that drive. I would expect other failures first....

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Has Sony confirmed the ability to store PS5 games on external HDD? You can't play it from HDD of course.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I will use internal for a year or two then when the prices are more reasonable I will buy an expansion and try to use that primarily.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
If my internal SSD breaks I will write some strongly worded letters to Microsoft and ask for a new Xbox

Yeah, if internal SSD breaks within 1-2 years, pretty sure it's an easy replacement situation. At least within 1 year warranty.

And I expect there will be a Slim version in 2-3 years that I'll buy anyways.

I definitely want to change the 1TB to 2TB pretty quick but I'll wait for SSD prices to drop / when I start filling up.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure by the time the internal SSD's start failing most people will be ready to upgrade to a new gen.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Already have the 1TB SSD card pre-ordered along with my XSX. I've always said I was going to factor it into my launch plans. I'd rather get everything at once, and be done with it.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've got SSDs on laptops and desktop PCs going back 10 years+. Never had one fail.

Had 3 HDD failures in the 10 years prior to that.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Wear is not a concern I have had for SSDs at all in well over ten years.
Even in enterprise environments that will way out-scale anything a PS5 will do in it's entire life.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
SSD only wear with write operations, and games are not write heavy at all.
I'll buy one when I filled up the internal storage, which should last me at least 1 year.
With how often the average gamer will be using the drive, even moving titles back and forth, it probably still will be at least 10 years or more before you reach the expected lifespan of that drive. I would expect other failures first....

Even when you factor in things like supposedly the PS5 is always recording your game session to make it easier to save a moment or how the Xbox Series S/X is constantly dumping out the RAM state and storing it for multiple games to the SSD? I think things like that will add up over time.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
I'll upgrade to a PS5 Pro down the road so I'll abuse the shit out of my PS5

And if not, I'll just download more memory and RAM

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure my usage wouldn't wear it down that much.

I'll probably add more storage in 2-3 years

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'll just sell the PS5 and put it towards the PS5 Pro before I have to worry about that ;)

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
The PS5 is going to be writing to the SSD the entire time because it's recording gameplay right? Or does it store it into ram?

And I assume the SSD will also be heartily used as a pagefile so it has that going for it as well. I hope this is a really really reliable drive.

There's also quick resume which PS5 will most likely have. Dumping around 16 gigs of storage for a couple of games should add up pretty fast.

With the limited storage space people will probably get a slower external HDD/SDD to keep their games on and transfer them back and forth frequently. PS5 games are going to be over 50 gigs per game. That's a lot of writes.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Internal Wear is not a concern To me. Ill upgrade at some point. But you would literally need to be writing Gigs upon gigs of data daily to wear them down. Even the lowest end drives you would need to be writing over hundreds of GB of data every single day to touch their limits.

Even Long Video Recordings is only in the 1's of gigs per day.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I wanna upgrade because I'm a digital hoarder, but I'm not pressed about the internal drive dying. I have 3 SSDs in my PC from 2013-2014 and they all still work with no problems.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Current Samsung 850 Pros guarantee 600TB written before failure. That's 33GB per day for 5 years, your typical console lifespan.

So no, this is an unwarranted concern.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Honestly I wouldn't worry much so I'd probably delay the purchase of an SSD until they have a good price.

For reference, a WD SN750 1TB has an endurance of 600TBW. You'd need to download Warzone 3000 times (assuming 200GB). If you do it once a day it would take a bit more than 8 years.

Even assuming that recording gameplay and other system operations take half of that endurance (somehow), if you were to download 200GB each day that's a bit more than 4 years. Sure, sounds low, but no one downloads 200GB every day for 4 years. Assume you do it once a week or every 3 or 4 days and you get much more time

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You would have to be transferring a LOT of data EVERY DAY to even come close to wearing out an SSD.

It's not a concern.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume by year 3 I can just upgrade to a Pro with a bigger harddrive

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My NVMe lasts 300TB. Doing the math based on my usage so far it will take like 30+ years for this thing to fail.

I'm not worried

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Please don't start wear concerns. I have SSDs used primarily for constant PC gaming, approaching a decade old.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Even when you factor in things like supposedly the PS5 is always recording your game session to make it easier to save a moment or how the Xbox Series S/X is constantly dumping out the RAM state and storing it for multiple games to the SSD? I think things like that will add up over time.
The PS5 would have to write over 60 GB a day for this to be a concern (and that concern would be hitting the "lifespan" in 3 years...) . So, no not a concern.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Your console SSD loses all of it's collectors value when you take it out of the packaging.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
For me, I feel like the internal drive space is enough. Now I did go and buy an external SSD, but it's mainly for cold storage purposes. The one on my PS4 currently is a WD 3.0 external HDD with games on it. I want to test it on the PS5 by moving the data I have on it over and see what the speed transfer is like for kicks. Either the new SSD or the existing WD will go on the PS5 and the other, Series X.

I think if you're not looking to play next-gen games right off these expandable drives, an external SSD with at least USB 3.1 compatibility should be more than enough to go off with.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
SSDs should easily survive a console generation and years beyond that.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

These SSDs have custom controllers that efficiently allocate data onto the nand. Wear and tear is not something you should be worried about during the lifetime of the device.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably get an Xbox expansion card shortly after launch, but it has nothing to do with concerns for "wear and tear" of the internal drive.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Already have the 1TB SSD card pre-ordered along with my XSX. I've always said I was going to factor it into my launch plans. I'd rather get everything at once, and be done with it.

Same here.

It is a pain on the wallet. But I want to be set for the next couple of years at least.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I will eventually upgrade from the 825gb PS5 SSD, but that will probably be 2-3 years down the road.
Once I can get a deal on a 2TB SSD, I'll probably jump on it. I'm not too worried about wear and tear on the SSD, though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's no more write heavy than average computer use and SSD's have been working fine under those conditions for years now. It's far more likely you'd worry about a HDD dying than SSD running out of writes. The former is far more common and likely due to the moving parts.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
SSD's don't wear down all that much. I think my old Intel 120GB is still around and it's fine. That's at least 8 years old.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Please don't start wear concerns. I have SSDs used primarily for constant PC gaming, approaching a decade old.
These SSDs have custom controllers that efficiently allocate data onto the nand. Wear and tear is not something you should be worried about during the lifetime of the device.
My 6 years PC SSD says hi! No worries at all.
Jepp, wear concerns on SSDs is if you do stuff like builds that pump huge amounts of data every day. And even then we are talking quite some time.

Not playing videogames
I appreciate this.