• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'll travel again once LOTS of people get the vaccine, not just me. Otherwise, there's not much of a point if everything is still in semi-lockdown.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Was it confirmed whether or not you can still be a non-symptomatic carrier for covid, even after the vaccine? If that's the case, then I don't think I would until the vaccination rates are much higher.

But if not? Then hell yeah I'm gonna travel. I've been stir crazy haha.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, but also depends on the state of the world. I highly doubt there will be open recreational international travel until 2022.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Id like to yes, with a mask. But essential traveling, seeing family. Not joy trips

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
This thread makes me afraid for 2021. This is going to be much worse than 2020.

I don't see why. Vaccines will only get more and more available in 2021, including vaccines that are single dose and don't need extreme refrigeration.

www.modernhealthcare.com

J&J in 'final stages' of analyzing trial results for its one-dose COVID vaccine

Johnson & Johnson last year enrolled 45,000 patients into a phase three clinical trial for its vaccine candidate. Those patients are still being monitored.

www.cnbc.com

Wall Street analysts are cautiously optimistic on J&J's 'one-dose' Covid vaccine

A one-shot vaccine could significantly improve our ability to fight the virus — and we may have one soon.

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
I traveled before I received the vaccine but not a lot and I'll travel after I receive my final dose of the vaccine later today(hopefully). In June my wife, my son and I traveled to a Disney resort(Boardwalk) to use our DVC points. The parks were not open so it was resort only but we are planning on traveling back to Florida from PA this coming June. Yes we were masked the entire time and it was very enjoyable. The 'Disney Bubble' as was on display for the NBA tournament did feel safe and most that go there feel safe.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
This thread makes me afraid for 2021. This is going to be much worse than 2020.

Dont be, just the usual era hyperbole and fear mongering, mixed in with some deep seated fear of the outside world. Some are fearful of thier own shadow.

Both treatments and vaccines are being deployed and will be deployed on a never before seen scale and those people who might be persuaded not to take the jab will do so once everyone else leaves them in the dust.

For myself, no international trips until everyone is opened up. Waste of money otherwise.

Domestically, once my family are vaccinated? You fucking betcha. We cancelled our yearly trip this year. By the time it rolls around this year the danger to our lives and extended family will be greatly lessened.

koolaroo

Dec 27, 2017
I will travel as soon as it is safe to do so. Idk when that will be.

Not being able to travel is pretty depressing to me. Even just intra-continental stuff. Traveling is one of the things I enjoy most in life and find the most fulfilling. so a year+ without even small trips to close cities in other states is making me stir crazy and just kinda losing site of things.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I assume by the time regulars get the vaccine we will know a lot more at that time than we know now. Specifically about if you can still spread it after you receive 2 doses.

I am not planning for it but I would really like to see things go back to normal. I could use a nice vacation on the beach somewhere.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely should not and our messaging HAS to be better on this.

When you get the vaccine, it reduces your symptoms and prevents the virus from impacting you. It does NOT prevent you from spreading it. Until we reach max vaccinations, you still need to wear a mask, social distance, etc, regardless if you have the vaccine or not. Granted, this is still being tested to be proven, and until it is, we basically need to treat it this way.

www.washington.edu

COVID-19 vaccines may not prevent spread of virus, so mask-wearing, other protections still critical

Excitement and relief over news of vaccines that help prevent people from getting sick, winding up in the hospital or dying from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, are warranted, says...

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wtf no vaccine is 100% effective....
??
Why would I travel while there is a chance to spread a virus??

Just because there is a high chance I am imune??

I don't want the guilt of killing someone because of any reason much less I wanted to travel to see my family.

I don't get your doubts. Am I supposed to say fuck others and just travel around because I am imune?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You absolutely should not and our messaging HAS to be better on this.

When you get the vaccine, it reduces your symptoms and prevents the virus from impacting you. It does NOT prevent you from spreading it. Until we reach max vaccinations, you still need to wear a mask, social distance, etc, regardless if you have the vaccine or not.

www.washington.edu

COVID-19 vaccines may not prevent spread of virus, so mask-wearing, other protections still critical

Excitement and relief over news of vaccines that help prevent people from getting sick, winding up in the hospital or dying from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, are warranted, says...
Stop acting like this is fact. The answer is we don't know if it impacts spread but judging by history and preliminary evidence we've gotten from Oxford's testing on this subject it's more likely you wouldn't be a vector for COVID spread when you do get the shot.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm hoping to get the vaccine and travel at the end of the year. If it's not safe to do so then I won't. No biggie.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe once my wife and I, my parents and wife's parents are all 30+ days removed from final dose I would consider a short trip in state while still driving back home the same day. But our original goal in 2020 was a Europe trip but that is impossible until 2022 at the earliest and that's optimistic

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
??
Why would I travel while there is a chance to spread a virus??

Just because there is a high chance I am imune??

I don't want the guilt of killing someone because of any reason much less I wanted to travel to see my family.

I don't get your doubts. Am I supposed to say fuck others and just travel around because I am imune?
I'm not CherryWoodFuton, but I think the confusion may be that you said you wouldn't travel because the vaccine isn't 100% effective. As no vaccine is ever likely to be 100% effective, does this mean you're not going to travel ever again?

At what point will you be willing to travel again, for instance?

For me, it's when I'm vaccinated, all the people I'm travelling with have been vaccinated, and when the vaccine has been offered to all people in the location I'd be travelling to for at least a few months. Hence my expectations are to hopefully be travelling around my immediate area by the end of the year (as I'm definitely towards the bottom of the priority list), around my country (the UK) early 2022, and hoping for abroad by end of 2022.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Stop acting like this is fact. The answer is we don't know if it impacts spread but judging by history and preliminary evidence we've gotten from Oxford's testing on this subject it's more likely you wouldn't be a vector for COVID spread when you do get the shot.
Did you read my post? I literally said we don't know if it's fact yet, but until that data is there, we need to treat it this way. We can't be like "well it's not proven but I've got the vaccine so back to normal!"

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen my family in over a year and they are well up in their age. They get their vaccine on the 19th. We're on a waiting list. Yes, we plan to finally get together. I'd be nice to see them before it's too late.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Did you read my post? I literally said we don't know if it's fact yet, but until that data is there, we need to treat it this way. We can't be like "well it's not proven but I've got the vaccine so back to normal!"
I agree with pretty much everything in your post - that people need to keep up the restrictions and protocols even when they've been vaccinated until everyone's been vaccinated / we know more - but to be fair, you actually said:
When you get the vaccine, it reduces your symptoms and prevents the virus from impacting you. It does NOT prevent you from spreading it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By the time I finally get my shot(s) it probably would be proven it affects spread anyway. Even if the data isn't quite there there will probably still be tens or even a hundred million vaccinated, lower cases, and most likely a lot less deaths. I'm probably still not gonna be traveling mainly because there wouldn't be a plan but there's a decent chance that even as early as this summer it's likely still safe to travel even with some precautions

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

I might feel comfortable hanging out with my friends again on the weekends once we all get the vaccine.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm getting on a plane or changing any of my daily habits (mask, etc.) but would like to drive to the beach or mountains. Nowhere super crowded though.

Nov 6, 2017
only to visit family once we all get vaccinated
I more so miss eating at restaurants but I'm still gonna wait for probably a year before I do that

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with pretty much everything in your post - that people need to keep up the restrictions and protocols even when they've been vaccinated until everyone's been vaccinated / we know more - but to be fair, you actually said:
Fair, I hit submit too early and I did edit my post immediately adding that it needs to be proved, but until it is we need to treat it as fact

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't visited home in over a year, so I would like to do so. By the time I finally get the vaccine there should be decent coverage across the states so it might be a little safer.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Doesn't the pull-quote contain the more in-depth quote you're after?
'Because even as vaccines start protecting the most vulnerable, we are not going to achieve any level of population immunity, or herd immunity in 2021 and even if it happens in a couple of pockets in a few countries, it's not going to protect people across the world.'

I saw it I just don't think it's specific enough. Obviously the entire world won't be vaccinated by the end of the year but our rollout is way more flawed overall than I realised if even places doing well with the virus can't get it to 0% spread by 2022.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a long distance relationship. I haven't seen my gf in over a year now. Once her and I have it, as well as those we see regularly/things calm down a bit, yes. Maybe it's still not the wisest thing to do then, but my heart hurts.
I'm in the same boat. When my gf and I can get the vaccine we try to see each other at least once again (but only if it is safe and allowed to do).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yep.

I am going to do all the things.

By the time I'm vaccinated the rest of the U.S. will have already gotten their doses.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lowkey travel, for sure. Still wearing a mask, still following all the same guidelines. Just doing so without feeling the same sense of contributing to a problem we should all be doing our best to help solve.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Once we know that vaccinated people don't spread the disease (presuming that is the case). But not before.

This is the only correct answer.

Too many examples in this thread of "trust science and be considerate of others" and "I'm definitely traveling ASAP as soon as I'm vaccinated" in the same posts. Look, we do not yet know if vaccination = assured safety for you or those around you. We need more data.

If you got your second dose this week you absolutely 100% should not be traveling as if things are normal, again. You should avoid travel unless absolutely critical, or you're only a couple steps away from anyone going on vacation the last six months.

I used to travel 40+ weeks a year before COVID. Usually for work a few times a month, and then also for personal leisure with my wife once a month or so. I have hundreds of thousands of Southwest points. I want to travel just as badly as anyone else - but I'm not selfish. I'll wait to hop on a plane until it's truly safe, not just pseudo safe as I hide behind "welp at least I got a vaccine."

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah, I'm being vaccinated apparently well ahead of my loved ones because of my job placing me higher on my state's rollout priority. I get my first shot today and my 2nd shot in a month. I won't be going back to normal until everyone I know is also vaccinated and there's a general idea that most people in places I'm travelling to are vaccinated. I know these current vaccines are pretty high in their efficacy from the trials, but it's definitely not 100% — I still don't want to risk getting it even after I'm vaccinated, and I figure the more exposure I put myself through, the higher the chance that still becomes.

I still don't expect that to be until the end of the year, and that's AT BEST.

I suppose I didn't know until a few recent posts here that there was still risk of vaccinated folks transmitting COVID, so I guess it works out. I'll keep my ear to the ground about vaccinated folk still being a potential vector for ongoing spread.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'll get the vaccine before my wife and daughter will due to my health condition, so that is one limiting factor. We won't be getting on a plane until we're all vaccinated and things are safer.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I'm leaning toward yes.

I'm reading more about "sterilizing immunity" (the ability of a vaccine to stop infection/transmission and not just disease), and apparently, most vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity. Add that to the fact that not everyone is going to voluntarily get vaccinated. So what's the alternative? Never travel for the rest of your life? I don't think so.

By the time I get it, everyone should have got it. That's the green light for me.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is pregnant and pregnant women can't get the vaccine. So I'm stuck at home for the foreseeable future.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not immediately, but soonish, yeah.

I REALLY can't wait for things to get better enough for Disneyland to reopen. I have still never been to Star Wars land.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
The only way i see myself "treaveling" is if I end up going to Gradschool this year and need to go somewhere.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
I'm reading more about "sterilizing immunity" (the ability of a vaccine to stop infection/transmission and not just disease), and apparently, most vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity. Add that to the fact that not everyone is going to voluntarily get vaccinated. So what's the alternative? Never travel for the rest of your life? I don't think so.

This is basically true.

I feel that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what vaccines do and don't do. Basically none of them are 100% effective. Very few offer sterilising immunity. If you're waiting for a 100% perfect vaccine, absolute zero risk of being infected with something and passing it on unknowingly, everyone to be vaccinated, and no cases in whichever country you want to go to, then you'll be waiting a long time.. probably forever. Add to that the anti-vaxxers who'll never get vaccinated, and then..

I'm still not going to fly off around the world the moment I've been jabbed twice, though.

Once I've been fully vaccinated (hoped by end 2021), I resume doing things in my city / county, within the rules as they exist at that time. Still masked and distancing in public, if needed. Visiting friends and relatives once they've had the chance to be vaccinated too, possibly going back to the office, feeling more able to explore my city again, etc.

Once the vaccine program in my country is complete, and everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated (early 2022?), then holidaying around the UK goes back on the table. Shouldn't be that much later on, as I'm in the 'general public' group so last in line here.

And then as far as other countries go, wait for them to complete their vaccination programs, add a few months out of caution (make sure case numbers get and remain low), and then it's back to being considered.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Yes. Since it's likely that I'm not getting a vaccine any time soon it's probably safe enough by the time I do.

Yep, but also depends on the state of the world. I highly doubt there will be open recreational international travel until 2022.
If there isn't a clear third wave, I'm sure there will be international travel in Europe already by summer. The Mediterranean countries can't afford to miss another tourist season.